8.5

1. Sep 19, 2013
    Even though it's rated G, this film has such an adult way of playing out and is very sophisticated. It is a melting pot of a movie. You get a little bit of French cooking, the secret ways of how a restaurant operates, you get a feel for 1930's Paris, and most importantly you feel the clique between Linguine and Collette. All of these elements come together in one helluva movie.
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    Ratatouille has more life, meaning and intelligence then almost every film out there. Pixar has always done a fantastic job of reaching out to children, while drawing adults in and Ratatouille is no exception.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    Ratatouille is probably my favorite Disney movie of all time. It's both cute and funny. It scores points for having a great villain and an even sweeter hero... But most of all, it has an unforgettably cathartic finish that gets me every time.
  4. Nov 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of Pixar's best movies yet. Remy the rat wants to become a chef and his dream comes true when he accidentally ends up in Paris and and discovers a 5-star restaurant. Expand
  5. Jan 16, 2012
    Ratatouille is funny, original, heartfelt, well voice acted and beautifully animated. As Pixar makes more and more movies they make just fantastic films like Ratatouille. I give this film 96%.
  6. Jul 6, 2014
    It has charm yet isn't mawkish so I have to roll me eyes or cover my ears for any stupid or ridiculous scenes. Insightful, with a lot of heart, it's a Pixar film for the whole family and even some adults. What can I say? It has a lot of pizzazz!
  7. Jul 2, 2013
    As our unexpected hero Remy remarks in the film, "pure poetry" is quite the summing up of this miraculous film from Pixar, one of their best and most unorthodox to date. The film was not necessarily taken with great admiration upon its announcement, due to its content and of course its name. But what the film expertly does is refer to the name, and outline exactly the point its trying toAs our unexpected hero Remy remarks in the film, "pure poetry" is quite the summing up of this miraculous film from Pixar, one of their best and most unorthodox to date. The film was not necessarily taken with great admiration upon its announcement, due to its content and of course its name. But what the film expertly does is refer to the name, and outline exactly the point its trying to make, it isn't suppose to be appealing, and not to judge a book by its cover.
    The character of Remy is a rat, a rat with quite the heightened sense of smell, and with a taste for the finer things in life, namely the elegant cuisine of France, something which he is exceptionally good at creating.
    But when the chef and restaurant he idolises fall on hard times, he happens across the very place and witnesses a new dishwasher accidentally ruining a soup, Remy steps up to fix the problem. The dishwasher, Linguini, sees Remy cooking and the two decide to work a solution for Remy to take, for the fact that the rest of the restaurant staff believe the dishwasher is the expert cook.
    The film is a tale of pursuing what you want to do, and not to let anyone tell you any different. But the realism, while still ridiculous, is given a nice effect, as Remy and his human puppet realise he won't be accepted, therefore their carefully orchestrated means of cooking must be invisible to everyone else.
    The film is perhaps the most insightful and viewer-inspired creation from Pixar, full of messages and situations that a real life individual will face in their ongoing existence, family, love, trial and error and of course...success.
    As expected, the film is a visual delight, from the Paris skyline to the animation of Remy the rat working in the kitchen, each and every character, including the rats, have a distinct and unique look, setting them and their traits aside from the next person. A witty and hilarious script also benefits this excellent film, visual gags are in place across the film and the pacing of our characters is relevant to the story, especially working in a french restaurant.
    Ratatouille will never cease to surprise and exceed, it answers many questions surrounding acceptance and hard work, all true while making the point of enjoying and escaping in its wonderful world, reminding us that we can get by little help from our friends.
  8. Oct 9, 2011
    Out of all 12 Pixar films, Ratatouille has to be the finest if only because it is one of the most visually stunning movies ever made. While other films try to show off the majestic look of Paris (Midnight in Paris, Taken and Monte Carlo) they never really succeed and its odd that the film that finally pulls it off isn't even live action. If anything Ratatouille is the most grown up of theOut of all 12 Pixar films, Ratatouille has to be the finest if only because it is one of the most visually stunning movies ever made. While other films try to show off the majestic look of Paris (Midnight in Paris, Taken and Monte Carlo) they never really succeed and its odd that the film that finally pulls it off isn't even live action. If anything Ratatouille is the most grown up of the Pixar fold (even Up) with the story being remarkably layered and engrossing. Sure the beginning is a bit slow but the slow build works because when Remy finally crawls out upon the magnificent vista that is Paris the film takes flight. It is a fast paced story of a rat named Remy (Voiced by Patton Oswald) who has always wanted to be a chef despite his obvious limitations He finally gets that chance thanks to an inept yet lovable human named Linguini (Lou Romano). There are some truly stunning parts of Ratatouille but you I won't ruin them because they really are fantastic. Of course it is a film for both child and adult as every other Pixar film but the thing that holds it up above all the others is the fact that the film builds as it goes. Unlike Up which has a brilliant opening sequence but doesn't live up to it, Ratatouille gets better as it goes with one moment near the end with Peter O'Toole's Ego being a brilliant piece of film despite the fact there are absolutely no words spoken. It is a classic film that gave me lots to think about after I watched it and even more after I watched it again. A real masterpiece. Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2013
    "Ratatouille" is a classic Pixar animation and a fantastic accomplishment. The animation is brilliant (as usual), it's well-directed, the script is intelligent and is consistently humorous. Pixar movies are textbook examples on how to make films for both kids and adults.
  10. May 7, 2013
    This is certainly up there with some of Pixar's finest work, and its only the second time I've seen it but I enjoyed it much more second time around. Its such a creative concept and whoever thought of a rat cooking was pretty creative :P The characters are very likable and the clever storyline flows well throughout. There is also enough for both adults and kids to enjoy here and there is aThis is certainly up there with some of Pixar's finest work, and its only the second time I've seen it but I enjoyed it much more second time around. Its such a creative concept and whoever thought of a rat cooking was pretty creative :P The characters are very likable and the clever storyline flows well throughout. There is also enough for both adults and kids to enjoy here and there is a nice medium for the both. Overall a very enjoyable film I would certainly recommend Expand
  11. Jun 29, 2014
    Charming, gorgeously animated, fantastically voiced and another appealing Pixar movie that goes to my collection of "My Favorite Animation Movies". Recommendable for all ages.
  12. Apr 24, 2015
    Describe the plot of Ratatouille to most and they’ll likely turn up their nose as if assaulted by a bad smell. It’s about a rat who yearns to be a chef. That’s not cute, that’s not flip and postmodern. Couldn’t we make it a giraffe who wants to play golf, or a hippo who dreams of being a stunt-hippo, or a gerbil who aspires to play lead guitar in a heavy-metal band (please note,Describe the plot of Ratatouille to most and they’ll likely turn up their nose as if assaulted by a bad smell. It’s about a rat who yearns to be a chef. That’s not cute, that’s not flip and postmodern. Couldn’t we make it a giraffe who wants to play golf, or a hippo who dreams of being a stunt-hippo, or a gerbil who aspires to play lead guitar in a heavy-metal band (please note, second-tier animation studios - these concepts are copyright Empire)? What’s cool about a rat in a kitchen? Isn’t it, like, kinda gross?

Au contraire, mes amis. After five minutes of Ratatouille you start getting excited about the time when you can buy it on DVD to use as life therapy, like a soothing bath or a dose of Librium. It may be Pixar’s masterpiece, but why quibble over niceties when they keep delivering stories this rich?

Even amongst the Hawaiian-shirted big brains of the Pixar think-tank, Brad Bird is taking on an auteurish hue for the fabulousness of his creations.

It’s farce and poetry both, able to make thrilling gearshifts from poignant characterisation into madcap as the film spills onto the streets to create chase sequences worthy of Chuck Jones or Fred Quimby. Visually, nothing is beyond these guys. From the fineness of Remy’s fur to the rain-slicked cobbles of the City Of Lights, they somehow grant synthesised surfaces the textures of life. Yet, the animation is at once extraordinary and hardly the point. So deft is the hand of Pixar that you are allowed to take their raptures of detail for granted - the incidental art is slave to the story. Pixar are not really animators at all, but storytellers par excellence whose carving knife happens to be a computer mouse.

By the third act, the standard recipe would be for Linguini to be de-toqued, the diminutive hero exposed and the villainous Skinner to be felled. That, though, is just one of the plot strands Bird has woven. Amid the flurry of impeccably timed disaster, Anton Ego will emerge from his coffin-shaped parlour to test this unforeseen turn-around at Gusteau’s and prove a salutary lesson for any critic as to their own worth. “Surprise me,” he sneers to the waiter, with the kind of disdain normally associated with Lady Bracknell or Daily Mail readers. So fully have you sunk into this animated world, so blurred are its joins with real life, that the resulting dish (designed with the help of hip chef Thomas Keller) lifts the film to rank alongside Babette’s Feast, Big Night or Ang Lee’s Taiwanese trilogy as literally mouth-watering. Although it rather takes the Happy Meal
    tie-in off the agenda.

It is impossible not to read Remy as a straight metaphor for Bird or Pixar as a whole. They are unable to let the soup sour when the perfect mix of flavours can be reached. But the message may be more democratic - not everyone can be a great artist, but true art can come from anywhere. Bird is an artist who looks deep into humans (even in rat form) and sees something magic. His films feel like gifts.

That feeling you have as you leave the cinema - that buzzing in the fingers and lightness in the heart - is called joy.
  13. Apr 7, 2011
    Let me just say that I hate and have no respect for Patton Oswalt whatsoever for reasons I'd rather not discuss. But watching this movie, I could easily forget he's the voice of Remy, becuase I loved everything about this movie. As always Pixar, great job!
  14. Jun 28, 2012
    It is a great film full of human emotion with an extremely well told story which is always pixar's strongest point. We deeply care for these characters which is what interests the viewer and makes the film truly memorable. The ending is nothing short of greatness. It brings all the themes and together with parallel scenes and humour.
  15. Jan 3, 2014
    Divertido e com uma pitada de emoção isso o que define essa maravilhosa obra de arte de Pixar um dos melhores filmes já feitos nos últimos e porque não nos últimos tempos.
  16. Jul 22, 2013
    "Ratatouille" is clever, imaginative, gorgeous, breathtaking, and proves Pixar's integrity. The film itself is of course wonderfully animated and characters are new and inventive. Remy, the protagonist, is a dreamer, who is extremely likable and is wonderful to see his growth. Side characters have a definite lasting impressions, as the love story of Collete and Linguini is a bit cliche,"Ratatouille" is clever, imaginative, gorgeous, breathtaking, and proves Pixar's integrity. The film itself is of course wonderfully animated and characters are new and inventive. Remy, the protagonist, is a dreamer, who is extremely likable and is wonderful to see his growth. Side characters have a definite lasting impressions, as the love story of Collete and Linguini is a bit cliche, but is still a wonderful side plot to enjoy. The film may seem a bit quirky, but the quirkiness braced is spectacular and original. With a wonderful message that tells us that "great artists can come from anywhere", "Ratatouille" leaves a long and wonderful lasting impression that ranks to the Pixar standard of ingenuity. Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2012
    This movie is really outstanding! The graphics were excellent, the theme is great, the plot is mesmerizing, the characters were amazing. Everything in this film were fantastic. This is a true masterpiece...
  18. Dec 11, 2011
    Animated by the breathtaking visuals that you would expect from a Pixar film and inspired by a rich, charming narrative, "Ratatouille" is as delicious as it sounds.
  19. Oct 19, 2014
    Welcome to a entirely new and original world where the unthinkable combination of a rat and a 5-star gourmet restaurant come together for the ultimate fish-out-of-water tale.
  20. Apr 11, 2015
    a very good movie from Pixar. the story is great the charters are good the animation is good it just a really good movie to watch this movie..........
  21. Jun 3, 2012
    Simply One Of The Best Movies Of 2007!
    One Word For This Movie: Amazing
  22. Jul 10, 2013
    Watching it gets me hungry, and it has its fun moments and great appeal. If you don't like it, thats just shocking then. Because this is the best Pixar film by far
  23. Aug 12, 2011
    This movie is the start of a flawless four film streak by Pixar from 2007's Ratatouille to 2010's Toy Story 3. This one is one the especially strong Pixar efforts in terms of Comedy. There's also a pure artistic appeal to the whole film, wether it's the animation itself, the French sets or the whole animated city of Paris, this movie seems like one of the most delicately executed andThis movie is the start of a flawless four film streak by Pixar from 2007's Ratatouille to 2010's Toy Story 3. This one is one the especially strong Pixar efforts in terms of Comedy. There's also a pure artistic appeal to the whole film, wether it's the animation itself, the French sets or the whole animated city of Paris, this movie seems like one of the most delicately executed and thought out films of 2007 Expand
  24. Apr 25, 2015
    Delicious and entertaining, Pixar writer Brad Bird reaches the height of his La Vie en Rose career, with a beautiful masterpiece of the self-discovery of the unexpected talent within non-humans especially in the hands of a lone rat, whose only hope for survival is becoming a chef in one of Paris' most critically acclaimed restaurants, despite the odds and intolerance.

Its a sweet film

Its a sweet film thats like champagne bottles flowing simultaneously into the atmosphere and the smell of grapes in the air.
  25. Oct 13, 2014
    Definitely one of those films that you’d have to eat before watching it. Besides that the film delivers well and the story is solid, Pixar really got the look and the movement of the rats right as well as the cooking shown in the film. Although there is a downfall that the character of Linguini is kind of a doofus and not really that memorable. In conclusion the movie is great and I wouldDefinitely one of those films that you’d have to eat before watching it. Besides that the film delivers well and the story is solid, Pixar really got the look and the movement of the rats right as well as the cooking shown in the film. Although there is a downfall that the character of Linguini is kind of a doofus and not really that memorable. In conclusion the movie is great and I would put it somewhere in the middle, it’s not my least favourite but it leans up against my favourite Pixar films. Expand
  26. Dec 8, 2011
    I love absolutely everything about this film. It is Pixar's finest standalone film, which is saying something. I love the story, comedy, voice acting, animation and the fact that (sorry) some of the characters actually look like they're from France. Seriously, I cannot fault this film.
  27. Nov 6, 2011
    Ratatouille is clever, witty and beautifully animated. One of Pixar's finest achievements since the first Toy Story back in '95. This movie makes me hungry!!!! 4/4 stars.
  28. Mar 17, 2015
    If I had to choose my favorite Pixar filmmaker that isn't John Lasseter, it's definitely going to have to be Brad Bird. He has shown such enthusiasm for the motion pictures, I find it hard not to like him.

'Ratatouille' is the second Disney-Pixar project directed by him, and to be honest, I had my doubts, for reasons obviously. First of all, this movie is released after Pixar's first

First of all, this movie is released after Pixar's first mediocre (but not terrible) effort 'Cars' (2006), the one Disney-Pixar film nobody raved about, and it fared well with critics and audiences, but it isn't universally loved like 'Toy Story' (1995) or 'Finding Nemo' (2003). Plus, Brad Bird's earlier effort was 'The Incredibles' (2004) which EVERYBODY (including myself) loved and to go from superheroes, to making a movie about a rat who cooks in a kitchen and everybody eats the food seems like a downgrade.

Yes, you heard right, the premise for this movie is a rat that cooks in a kitchen and everybody eats the food. If you pitched this idea to anyone else, including live-action filmmakers, they would laugh in your face. Ratatouille is an example and a demonstration of how there is no limit to the imagination when it comes to the art form of animation. You could come up with something outrageous or obnoxious, and animation will always be there to make it possible.

Patton Oswalt voices a rat named Remy, who, with his family, is always looking out for food, you know, like most rats. He discovers one day that food can taste amazing when you combine two different flavors that complement each other.

He is in France and learns that his favorite chef Gusteau (voiced by Brad Garrett) has passed away and the legacy of his restaurant is owned by an evil chef who cannot be trusted. Remy runs into a young, new employee at the restaurant named Linguini (Lou Romano) and they sort of come to an agreement that Linguini can prove himself to work at the restaurant as long as Remy does the cooking, underneath his hat.

When Remy starts treating Linguini like some ventriloquist by tugging on his hair, this leads to some funny sequences where he often trips and moves with such flexibility thanks to the art form of animation.

Peter O'Toole voices the fearsome food critic Anton Ego, who can get Gusteau's restaurant shut down if he criticizes the next dish and gives it a bad name.

Obviously Remy's family of dirty rats isn't happy with what he's doing so far, his father is unsure and uncomfortable about him working with humans due to the fact that we can kill rats since they're small creatures we can easily stamp on. Remy's brother Emile (Peter Sohn) is a very funny comic relief for the movie the same way Dory was for 'Finding Nemo' (2003).

'Ratatouille' is easily one of the best films of 2007, and that's saying something. It's funny because this movie left me craving for a sequel, which I will accept will probably never get made, but if it does, I'm hopping into the front seat.

For a movie that's about a rat who cooks in a kitchen and everybody eats the food, I did find it to be more intelligent than...say 'Transformers'? But that's just me.

Brad Bird really is a gift at Disney-Pixar.
  29. Jan 30, 2014
    One of my favorite animated films, but to say, my favorite. Thanks to "Ratatouille" I became the family chef. From beginning to end the story of Remy is surprising. Definitely a movie with a huge quality. Tomatoes, onions and bread only far from millimeters to be considered real. It is a true copy of Paris and customs. Clearly, a film you must watch before you die.
  30. Oct 19, 2014
    Nobody in Hollywood today could make a story about a rat so fun and entertaining, other than the guy who made The Incredibles, Brad Bird. Great film worthy of all the awards it got.
  31. Mar 22, 2015
    10/10 ................................................................................................................................................
  32. Nov 21, 2011
    Even after seeing this Pixar movie for the BILLIONth time, I'm not sick of it. This is definitely one of Pixar's best works. The cuisine mixed in with the film's plot, and how Pixar used animation to create the most GORGEOUS looking Paris I've seen in a film, animated or not. SEE THIS FILM.
  33. Nov 10, 2013
    This was fun movie with drama and romance altogether
    be aware that you might get hungry while watching it :))
    I think in the long run it's a re-watchable animation suited for people of different ages
    I'd totally advise you buy it, make tons of delicious food, sit there and watch it
  34. Jul 22, 2012
    One of the most amazing kids movie ever. The animation is amazing. It's such a perfect film and you can watch as many times as you want and it never gets boring. Good for adults and children.
  35. Sep 28, 2014
    A great Pixar animation that I have watched countless times before, the story of a rat helping a French man fulfil his dream of becoming a chef, a fantastic film for all the family, and has tons of re-watch-ability too!
  36. Aug 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Pixar film? Maybe, Best 2007 film? definitely!! Ratatouille is a masterpiece that everyone will love. The characters, the humor, the memorable moments and basically everything in this movie is exellent. A delicious buffet.

Note: Sorry for my english, im from Costa Rica.
  37. Nov 1, 2012
    Another great computer-animated film for Walt Disney! A different, and more unusual plot compared to typical happy-ending movies. The movie also presented and gave viewers a sense of how dynamic the kitchen in a restaurant is. A little unrealistic, but overall a well done.
  38. Jan 10, 2012
    This movie is a perfect work of art describing something that we humans don't generally like to come across. But I think the world may have forgotten that this has the "Pixar Touch." It's one of those movies that changes your perspective about something. In my case, food. And as Gusteau says, "Never let someone define your limits because of who you are or where you come from."
  39. ChadS.
    Dec 16, 2007
    There are moments in "Ratatouille" that works on us in a primal way, like Ego who remembers the titular dish that his mother served him as a child. The pompous critic remembers why he loves food, as this dazzling comedy(you forget you're watching an animated picture) reminds us why we love the movies. "Ratatouille" is so sophisticated, there's an extra tier of sophistication There are moments in "Ratatouille" that works on us in a primal way, like Ego who remembers the titular dish that his mother served him as a child. The pompous critic remembers why he loves food, as this dazzling comedy(you forget you're watching an animated picture) reminds us why we love the movies. "Ratatouille" is so sophisticated, there's an extra tier of sophistication that will fly under the radar of most moviegoers. "Ratatouille", to my utter disbelief, has references to the Canadian filmmaker Atom Egoyan and his film "Felicia's Journey". Ian Holm, who voices the role of Skinner, the chef in exile, was in Egoyan's "The Sweet Hereafter". This is such tremendous fun for cineastes because we can't understand why it's there in the first place. This piece of trivia is irrelevant to enjoying "Ratatouille", but the references are there, nevertheless. In an ordinary film, it's Linguini(voiced by Lou Romano) who'd be delusional(that a rat is actually doing the cooking), but in "Ratatouille", it's the delusion(from Skinner's point-of-view(he's the first person to see the rat); Skinner, who reminds me of that single person who sees the duck in those Aflac commercials) who has delusions(Chef Gusteau is Remy's muse). "Ratatouille" also has references to Carol Emschwiller's novel "The Mount" and Gary Larson's "The Far Side". And if you remember Ralph Fiennes' wine cellar speech to Embeth Davidtz in "Schindler's List", "Ratatouille" can be interpreted as a fantastical parable that sutures the rift between Jews and Germans. "Ratatouille" is a truly extraordinary movie that makes you laugh, cry, and most importantly, think. This is Pixar's high-water mark, and that's really saying something. Expand
  40. MarkC.
    Jun 30, 2007
    A fabulous movie. I took my daughter and was amazed. I love to cook and the film captured the rapture of cooking, paris and well rapture. I loved the visual and musical depictions of Flavour which reminded me of old Canadian National Film Board cartoons. It was a fantastic movie.
  41. AndrewG
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ridiculously good. I liked it better than both The Incredibles and Cars.
  42. AaronS.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Another wonderous achivement from Pixar that marks a major return to from after last year's 'Cars' came up short. A rich blend of comedy and pathos. Technically accomplished and visually stunning at times, 'Ratatouille' never forgets it's a story first and foremost. Bird and co. have lavished just as much attention to the script as they did the animation. The Another wonderous achivement from Pixar that marks a major return to from after last year's 'Cars' came up short. A rich blend of comedy and pathos. Technically accomplished and visually stunning at times, 'Ratatouille' never forgets it's a story first and foremost. Bird and co. have lavished just as much attention to the script as they did the animation. The very reason Pixar is so far ahead of the pack. Expand
  43. Robdscdsvc
    Jul 6, 2007
    Visually stunning, classic characters, 100% original, and simply amazing. This just may be the greatest movie i have EVER seen.
  44. Kent
    Mar 5, 2009
    This truly is Disney/Pixar's Magnum Opus. Excellent script, good graphics and nice character development. Brad Bird out-did himself here.
  45. markt
    Apr 2, 2010
    Amazing.........PIXAR have done it again and it's one of there best.
  46. MarkJ.
    Oct 5, 2007
    I've since become a professional chef. Thank you Ratatouille.
  47. RethunkReview
    Oct 5, 2007
    Pixar made a movie about rats and food. Rats. Food. It is without a doubt the most entertaining movie about either subject. The hero is a gray rat with a gift for cooking. The villain of the piece is a food critic whose pen and sarcasm are his only weapons. This bears repeating: the ultimate conflict in this movie concerns a rat that cooks and a snooty gourmand, AND IT WORKS. What Pixar made a movie about rats and food. Rats. Food. It is without a doubt the most entertaining movie about either subject. The hero is a gray rat with a gift for cooking. The villain of the piece is a food critic whose pen and sarcasm are his only weapons. This bears repeating: the ultimate conflict in this movie concerns a rat that cooks and a snooty gourmand, AND IT WORKS. What production companies can pull this off? Perhaps only Pixar. That said, this movie may not be for everyone. If you like predictability and mediocre pop tunes in your animation films, and if you don't mind variability in the quality of production, then by all means rent The Lion King instead. If you want to see a remarkable production from storytellers who elevate simplicity to elegance, than Ratatouille may be the movie for you. Expand
  48. BenN
    Oct 8, 2007
    One word WOW!!! and i only say that to very little movies but if you have not seen it yet SEE IT!!!
  49. JudyR.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Saw this at a sneak preview a couple of weeks back; my love for this movie hasn't diminished one bit since then. Sure, everyone's mentioned the look and animation, of the food particularly; but no review I've seen has mentioned to spot-on animation of the rats. Believe me, I know my rats, and the Pixar crew did a beautiful job of making them completely convincing. The swim Saw this at a sneak preview a couple of weeks back; my love for this movie hasn't diminished one bit since then. Sure, everyone's mentioned the look and animation, of the food particularly; but no review I've seen has mentioned to spot-on animation of the rats. Believe me, I know my rats, and the Pixar crew did a beautiful job of making them completely convincing. The swim like rats, they use their 'hands' like rats, everything. A well crafted triumph; maybe the best Pixar movie to date. Expand
  50. HH.
    Jun 30, 2007
    It's refreshing to see a movie that doesn't rely on violence and swearing to tell an incredible story as enjoyable for adults as well as children.
  51. MatthewL.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Not just the best Pixar film ever--the best CG animated feature ever. It's coupling of universal appeal and superior quality is both rare and very welcome. It's excellence transcends any flaws it may have, and makes negative criticism seem downright petty. Its been a long time since a film--or any work of art--has so inspired and fulfilled me. I can't wait to see it again.
  52. JoshE.
    Jul 1, 2007
    A magical and technically astounding film, Brad Bird's Ratatouille definitively shows that all other non-Pixar CGI films nothing more than gimmick and contains more humanity than most traditional films. Some of the images in this film are so powerful, they take your breath away.
  53. Sam
    Jul 10, 2007
    Pixar's best? Absolutely. The year's best? It's a draw between 1408, but it doesn't change the fact that this movie is simply astounding. It could have been a run-of-the mill and cliched "believe in yourself" story, and while it is a "believe in yourself" movie, it's done in a never-before seen way. It's simply stunning, as well. I loved, loved, loved Peter Pixar's best? Absolutely. The year's best? It's a draw between 1408, but it doesn't change the fact that this movie is simply astounding. It could have been a run-of-the mill and cliched "believe in yourself" story, and while it is a "believe in yourself" movie, it's done in a never-before seen way. It's simply stunning, as well. I loved, loved, loved Peter O'toole's character (it basically screams 'Tim Burton' at times) as well as Brad Garret's character. They're like opposites and they're part of the reason this movie is so entertaining. But it wouldn't be the same with Remy, Linguini, or Skinner. Their characters are so key and preposterously lovable (yes, I thought Skinner was a lovable character, sue me). They're so full of life that they keep this bloat floating. Touche, once again, Pixar. Touche. (P.S. Anybody else pumped about Wall-E?) Expand
  54. MattC.
    Jul 12, 2007
    Simply perfect in every way... Best animated film yet? You bet.
  55. DarynP.
    Jul 2, 2007
    I can think of one word that sums up Ratatouille - DELIGHTFUL. Pixar has once again blended their unique and flawless animation style with a charming and simple story that will satisfy any audience. They've brought toys, bugs, fish, and cars to life in the past. And best of all, they've made them endearing. Kudos to them for adding rats to that list. Next year, it will be I can think of one word that sums up Ratatouille - DELIGHTFUL. Pixar has once again blended their unique and flawless animation style with a charming and simple story that will satisfy any audience. They've brought toys, bugs, fish, and cars to life in the past. And best of all, they've made them endearing. Kudos to them for adding rats to that list. Next year, it will be robots. I can't wait. Expand
  56. Andrew
    Jul 2, 2007
    Original, original, original, original...the whole genre has been re-engineered.
  57. PaulF.
    Jul 3, 2007
    The animation was great, acting more than decent, and the story cohesive. Over all I'd say it was a pretty good movie. Definitely kid friendly though I thought some of the dialog too complex for a youngster. I did not mind a bit but the lead seamed quite heady, even for a rat that could cook and manipulate people simply by pulling on their hair strings. As for the laughs there were The animation was great, acting more than decent, and the story cohesive. Over all I'd say it was a pretty good movie. Definitely kid friendly though I thought some of the dialog too complex for a youngster. I did not mind a bit but the lead seamed quite heady, even for a rat that could cook and manipulate people simply by pulling on their hair strings. As for the laughs there were only a couple of really good ones. Most of the time I sat with a slight grin. And there was one laugh concerning Ego the critic I will not soon forget. Is this a master piece no. But it is definitely worthy of a view. Whether you think it is theater or DVD worthy, well, that's up to you. Expand
  58. MylesM.
    Jul 5, 2007
    The fact that a 3-year-old, a 6-year-old, and three adults can sit for two hours and be mesmerized by this wonderful movie says it all. Each Pixar movie gets better. This one is the best. Nothing was trite, nothing was too hip to keep it from being timeless, and nothing was formulaic other than the mild relationship to "Ben and Me". Just when you thought it was over, you say, "Wait; what The fact that a 3-year-old, a 6-year-old, and three adults can sit for two hours and be mesmerized by this wonderful movie says it all. Each Pixar movie gets better. This one is the best. Nothing was trite, nothing was too hip to keep it from being timeless, and nothing was formulaic other than the mild relationship to "Ben and Me". Just when you thought it was over, you say, "Wait; what about Ego the food critique?". And so it goes. Animation was magical and spectacular, and the character development was first-rate. I have already reserved a copy for me and for my grandkids from Amazon when its out for distribution. Expand
  59. KyleC.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Ratatouille lives up to its near universal acclaim. A full two months after the release date, two cynical New York City adults had trouble getting seats in a packed house on a Saturday afternoon. Rightly so. The film is visually stunning. The voice casting was spot-on, all out inspired. The uinstory was clearly loved by children, and appreciated by the many adults many in the audience Ratatouille lives up to its near universal acclaim. A full two months after the release date, two cynical New York City adults had trouble getting seats in a packed house on a Saturday afternoon. Rightly so. The film is visually stunning. The voice casting was spot-on, all out inspired. The uinstory was clearly loved by children, and appreciated by the many adults many in the audience without kids in tow. Pixar has created a winner! Run, don't walk to see this film. You'll be glad you did. Expand
  60. FranciscoC.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Ratatouille was without a second thought the best animated movie that I have seen in almost every aspect from the mini animation at the beginning until the interesting ending. Everyone from the family can enjoy and only Adults is fine too. It dint have a single dull moment, the best timing (important factor to consider with comedy) and the most lovable characters. Pixar is in the track to Ratatouille was without a second thought the best animated movie that I have seen in almost every aspect from the mini animation at the beginning until the interesting ending. Everyone from the family can enjoy and only Adults is fine too. It dint have a single dull moment, the best timing (important factor to consider with comedy) and the most lovable characters. Pixar is in the track to make us all adults believe (at last!) that animation can be for adults with great ease. Expand
  61. JH
    Jan 1, 2008
    My favorite Pixar film since The Incredibles.
  62. CaptainYes
    Jan 3, 2008
    WOW! What a great movie. Stunning visuals, great story, and a main character who's faced with real decisions. I would highly recommend this to anyone!
  63. KyleB.
    Jan 6, 2009
    I loved the movie, its the only movie that my family and I can all agree to watching, and even if there is a rat cooking it still makes us want to eat afterwards. Two thumbs up.
  64. AnweshP
    Feb 23, 2010
    Ratatouille incredibly convinces. It is great entertainment. Brad Bird rules!!
  65. JamesL.
    Oct 2, 2007
    A truly beautiful movie. Kids will like it, but adults will love it.
    Oct 28, 2007
    This movie is amazing! I just loved it! It had a lot of meaning, the idea was original, and very creative.
  67. PaulK.
    Jun 29, 2007
    This is on the low end of a 9...I wasn't blown away, as I was hoping after seeing the 95 metascore, but nevertheless, the animation was superior and the story was good and endearing in parts. A little on the long side...this might be a better pick for video, if you have restless wee ones.
  68. SidneyT.
    Jun 30, 2007
    On par with the Incredibles and Finding Nemo....even better!
  69. SabrinaM.
    Jun 30, 2007
    It's been a while since I can just enjoy a movie, believe in the make-believe fantasies, and indulge myself in being touched without having to dip into any dialectical discussions of a film's philosophy and aesthetics...Ratatouille is beautifully animated and surprisingly touching. Surely, there are the make-believe messages that may have seemed far-fetched in reality but It's been a while since I can just enjoy a movie, believe in the make-believe fantasies, and indulge myself in being touched without having to dip into any dialectical discussions of a film's philosophy and aesthetics...Ratatouille is beautifully animated and surprisingly touching. Surely, there are the make-believe messages that may have seemed far-fetched in reality but totally in line with the objectives of Disney pictures, such as how the whole clan of rats (starring Remy's brother and father, who lack taste in food, or trust in humans--initially) creates a beautiful meal towards the end, or the worn out ideals of pursuing one's dreams as long as one invests passion (Gusteau says, "Everyone can cook"), or even just how Linguini can communicate with Remy; or, consider the ludicrous images of American cross-culturalism in a French context (the kitchen staff is all mixed with people of different backgrounds or ethnicities), and of all the French English accent. Yet, this film works because it opens one's eyes to the beauty of creativity and, to me personally, because it succeeds in bringing forward inspiring thoughts on the issue of criticism. In many ways, Anton Ego, the critic with a big ego, mirrors myself. A long, emanciated face and a menacing voice, his critique is sharp and pungent, making his opinion effective to the extent that it filters out the nonsense; his acute taste, while working to the advantage of offering judgments, hinders him in being open and positive about that which he is evaluating. When asked by Linguini why a critic who likes food looks so skinny, he says dogmatically, "I don't like food, I love food. If it's food that I don't love, I don't swallow it". The question is, what kind of a love for food is this? What does he love? How much is he appreciating food for food itself, or aware of the value of that which he chooses to spit out and grimace about? What is key is that there is an implicit downside in the nature of criticism if its focus is primarily on digging out the negative sides of the subject matter. After savoring the beautifully crafted ratatouille sensation that Remy and his clan put together, served by Linguini the cook/ waiter on wheels, he reevaluates his criteria for critique; after the unfortunate termination of the restaurant's business due to its unhygienic conditions (N.B. the rats), his credibility is damaged, but he is seen in Linguini's new bistro, enjoying the famed ratatouille, his occupation as a critic something of the past and the mean look of criticism gone from his face. Just as how his face lit up in childhood reminiscence of his mother's ratatouille when he first tastes Remy's creation, now he is rid of the need to be faultfinding, is broadening his love for food and, in that way, is closer to it. The phenomenal human touch at the end of this film touches me to open up myself, and reminds me that the critical taste of an individual comes not only with the act of opting for what is good, but also with embracing what may have seemed bad. To reject something when it does not seem good enough ("If it's food that I don't love, I don't swallow it") ruins the prospects of discovering something better to come, because that negative energy fails to give due credit to anything and alienates one from that which one professes to love. Note: Ratatouille is a vegetable dish from southen France, made out of eggplants, onions, garlic, green peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, with a variety of spices, simmered in olive oil. Have got to try this dish, and this film has got to be seen. Expand
  70. E.B.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Pixar had a lot to live up to with the release of their new film. They succeeded! It is so great to see a "Family Film" do so well in the theater, instead of all the trash that is out there. Long live Pixar!
  71. BibliotechaSanchez
    Jul 1, 2007
    Yeah, it was a great movie. The kids will love it. Anyone can cook. I never go to animation movies but this was good and I highly recommend it. It Does seem like 1940s Disney, back when Disney was at an imaginative peak and The Disney was runnin the show.
  72. MatthewG.
    Jul 10, 2007
    This is surely one of the films from the 21st century that will be remembered, studied, and watched in 2107. Everything about this movie is perfect.
  73. SusanF
    Jul 1, 2007
    Genius! Just a brilliant, heartwarming, eloquent film from start to finish.
  74. ValerieW
    Jul 19, 2007
    This is a Pixar film that really appeals to both children and adults. The beautiful animation, the humor, the look inside a French restaurant kitchen are for the grown-ups. And there's also plenty of silliness and excitement for the kids. And this animated Paris is breathtaking - I wanted to jump right on a plane.
  75. KatherineS.
    Jul 2, 2007
    This movie was a total delight, from start to finish. Unlike most "children's" movies, there was no annoying sidekick character playing the buffoon; the humor was wonderful--both kids and adults were hooting all around me; and the art of it was unbelievable--scratches on the copper pots, bubbles in the soup, realistic details everywhere. And in Paris, I enjoyed the "special" details This movie was a total delight, from start to finish. Unlike most "children's" movies, there was no annoying sidekick character playing the buffoon; the humor was wonderful--both kids and adults were hooting all around me; and the art of it was unbelievable--scratches on the copper pots, bubbles in the soup, realistic details everywhere. And in Paris, I enjoyed the "special" details cleverly tucked into the background--the "no smoking" poster in French, the traffic, the Bateaux Mouches, the Notre Dame rose window. I have loved movies my entire life, and this one is clearly in My Favorite Top 10! Expand
  76. stevet
    Jul 20, 2007
    One of the best movies -- not animated movies, not rated-G movies -- I have seen. It is entirely captivating and after it was done, I knew I loved it but couldn't say exactly why. It wasn't just the voices or the artistry or the story. In the end, it was the movie!
  77. scott
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oh hell yeah. Another home run for Pixar.
  78. AlisaH
    Jul 22, 2007
    When this movie was first advertised, I said, "Wonderful ANOTHER shallow toddler movie!". I was mistaken. This movie has earned its rank of Universal Acclaim, it reminded me of classics like the Lion King, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, you know, movies that aren't really made anymore. It had an engaging storyline with enough humor to make sure the mood doesn't get too dark, but When this movie was first advertised, I said, "Wonderful ANOTHER shallow toddler movie!". I was mistaken. This movie has earned its rank of Universal Acclaim, it reminded me of classics like the Lion King, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, you know, movies that aren't really made anymore. It had an engaging storyline with enough humor to make sure the mood doesn't get too dark, but it didn't keep everything light moodwise and that impressed me even more because sometimes you don't see that much at all. Honestly, I can't wait to see this again and am satisfied with it beyond measure, show it to your kids, heck show it to your entire family, it's worth watching. Expand
  79. C.H.H.
    Jul 2, 2007
    An excellent film; not just an excellent kids film or an excellent animation film, an excellent film period. Wonderful.
  80. JuanP.
    Jul 3, 2007
    Fantastic movie, once again Pixar did it, and better.
  81. Linea
    Jul 3, 2007
    Oh man, it was definitely my favorite movie ever. There actually is a very good plot, and Linguini's character was done very well. The short before is hilarious!!!
  82. AnL.
    Jul 3, 2007
    great movie!!! Beautifully crafted. Visually satisfying. And a lot of fun too!!!!
  83. ZeeM
    Jul 30, 2007
    One Of My Favorite Original Animation Movie I have ever seen...Great Animation, wonderful and a touching story line.
  84. DeonduP.
    Jul 3, 2007
    The best animated movie I have ever seen. My kids and wife loved it too. Fantastic animation, and fantastic story.
  85. ScooterL
    Jul 5, 2007
    More intelligent and sophisticated than 95% of adult films. And it's a blast.
  86. MarkK.
    Jul 6, 2007
    A well-spent 2 hours! Our kids liked it; I liked it; my wife liked it. Its only downside is that it could be trimmed to the more kid friendly 90 minutes. Still, 'Ratatouliie' is great fun.
  87. AnneR
    Jul 6, 2007
    What an amazing film. I forgot it was animated and was as involved int he plot as I would have been with real actors. this is truly a gem.
  88. LukeT.
    Jul 7, 2007
    In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I have not seen an animated film since 1999's Toy Story 2. Nevertheless, I can say with great certainty that this is one of the best movies I've seen in theaters in my life (1985-). The animation was flawless, the vocal performances (especially Oswalt's and O'Toole's) were excellent, and the food looked good In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I have not seen an animated film since 1999's Toy Story 2. Nevertheless, I can say with great certainty that this is one of the best movies I've seen in theaters in my life (1985-). The animation was flawless, the vocal performances (especially Oswalt's and O'Toole's) were excellent, and the food looked good enough to eat! Though I've seen a number of good films in the past 7 years, the only ones to leave me feeling this uplifted were the Lord of the Rings and Batman begins (excellent company for any film to me). I can also say that Pixar has officially become what Disney's traditional animation used to be (up to 1994). As a side note, the Wall-E teaser was absolutely adorable and i look forward to it being the next Pixar masterpiece. Expand
  89. Nadie....
    Jul 8, 2007
    Not an animated film, a great movie. Well written, funny, well directed. This is what movies are all about.
  90. ClayT
    Jul 8, 2007
    A great movie. I was surprised by the amount of adult humor in the film. Kudos on making a movie that everyone can enjoy. I just hope Pixar doesn't lose it's focus and start putting out watered down versions of itself. Dreamworks replaced the wittiness of Shrek with poop and burp in Shrek the Third.
  91. WynnJ.
    Aug 18, 2007
    It reminded me so much of Babette's Feast, that great Danish film from the 80s. It's an ars poetica, in that it illustrates how art (food) is created and how it nourishes even the harshest of souls. The best film I've seen since last year's Pan's Labyrinth, and the best animated film since The Incredibles. Bravo Pixar!
  92. MichelleN
    Aug 21, 2007
    This movie was great! Very heartwarming and inspiring! Definitely lived up to my expectations and made me view rats in a whole new light!
  93. WeepstahW.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Brad Bird is the best director working in Hollywood today. As good as The Incredibles, which is saying alot.
  94. ThePlatypope
    Aug 9, 2007
    I love movies. I am bold enough to say that, at certain times in my 16 years of being on this planet, I have lived for movies. Now, this is the best movie of the year thus far, by far. It's simply amazing the effort Pixar puts into their movies making them the one of most competent film studio around. The plot, silly? Yes. Genius? Yes. Sure the animation was good and all, but that I love movies. I am bold enough to say that, at certain times in my 16 years of being on this planet, I have lived for movies. Now, this is the best movie of the year thus far, by far. It's simply amazing the effort Pixar puts into their movies making them the one of most competent film studio around. The plot, silly? Yes. Genius? Yes. Sure the animation was good and all, but that was to be expected. The message of the film is that "change is good." Highlighted in the trip to the pest control window, the rat and his father take. If only all change could amount to a brilliant film such as this one. Expand
  95. JohnG.
    Sep 13, 2007
    Being an adult, I'm usually pessimistic about watching animated cartoons.... but ever since Pixar first came out, they have captivated me. A combination of great voice acting, a delightful plot, and computer animation makes Pixar one of my favorite companies. Each year, they get better and better.....and this year, they topped the cake. Ratatouille must be one of my favorite movies Being an adult, I'm usually pessimistic about watching animated cartoons.... but ever since Pixar first came out, they have captivated me. A combination of great voice acting, a delightful plot, and computer animation makes Pixar one of my favorite companies. Each year, they get better and better.....and this year, they topped the cake. Ratatouille must be one of my favorite movies this year so far... From the very beginning, it captured my attention, and kept it from beginning to end. It's a film for everyone, and a must see. I highly recommend this movie. Bon Apetit! Expand
  96. BroderickG.
    Sep 18, 2007
    I've already seen it multiple times, but this movie just won't leave me. There is no one in the industry like Pixar, and after Ratatouille, I doubt anyone will ever get close.
  97. Eleanor
    Sep 25, 2007
    Cameron A. who gave Ratatouille a rating of 0 obviously cannot appreciate sophisticated humor. Considering that review demonstrates an inability to spell and use correct grammar, I'm sure you'll forgive me for not taking it seriously. Ratatouille conveys humor through many subtle channels that you don't see very often in both "adult" or "children" films these days. The Cameron A. who gave Ratatouille a rating of 0 obviously cannot appreciate sophisticated humor. Considering that review demonstrates an inability to spell and use correct grammar, I'm sure you'll forgive me for not taking it seriously. Ratatouille conveys humor through many subtle channels that you don't see very often in both "adult" or "children" films these days. The facial expressions and hand gestures say as much as the actual dialogue and is another demonstration of Pixar's high animation quality. Ratatouille leaves you feeling warm and happy. Not to mention a craving for the actual dish. Expand
  98. MihailsB.
    Sep 3, 2007
    Top professional and good movie. Just super.
  99. MattA.
    Jan 12, 2008
    This film is so beautiful it honestly brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.
  100. MarkR
    Jan 14, 2008
    Brad Bird is the man. This an the Incredibles truly are masterpieces of character driven animation. How is it that Pixar are SO FAR ahead of anyone else? Outstanding and long may they continue.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The subtle colors and textures of the food alone make Ratatouille a three-star Michelin evening.
    In Ratatouille, the level of moment-by-moment craftsmanship is a wonder.
    This is clearly one of the best of the year's films. Every time an animated film is successful, you have to read all over again about how animation isn't "just for children" but "for the whole family," and "even for adults going on their own." No kidding!