8.2

1. Dec 27, 2011
    Jamie Foxx's performance in "Ray" is one of the best since Marlon Brando was "The Godfather". Up there with Colin Firth's The King's Speech and Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Capote as the best historical movies. Exploring the life of Ray Charles, Ray shows his depressing life, which is hidden behind his great music.
  2. Oct 16, 2010
    One of the few films that has made me cry (and I have no pain in admitting that). Jamie Foxx is brilliant,the music is still brilliant and the directing is superb.
  3. Aug 26, 2010
    "Ray" is definitely worth the watch for Jamie Foxx's performance alone, but it's a far shot from becoming a classic simply because it doesn't take any unexpected strides to make itself memorable. As far as biopics go, it's miles behind "I'm Not There" and "American Splendor" (and it might be unfair to bring up "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Raging Bull")
  4. Mar 18, 2013
    Putting aside Charles' incredible body of music, and his impact on American (if not global) culture, I'm reviewing the movie, which is not a great one. I'm still pretty amazed, nearly a decade after this movie came out, how few people seem unperturbed by the degree of bad or over acting in this movie. Literally every single scene in this film has an example of it, and given the talent on call, the blame, as far as I am concerned, falls squarely on the shoulders of writer/director Taylor Hackford. Another issue I have is the editing/pace of dramatic scenes, which I found to be rushed, and therefore ineffectual. Perhaps laughably so. It's just hard to take this movie seriously at all, which is a big problem since it's so long. In it's rush to get to the end, the viewer is hustled along through Mr. Robinson's life like pilgrims through a museum with definite profit targets. Anything worth notice gets rushed, while everything that can be crammed in is. And then, at the end, we get crummy reading scenes that describe the rest of the movie. That's our reward for enduring this mess. More mess. In sum, "Ray" is overwrought, over-acted, corny, and too long. Expand
  5. Jan 7, 2011
    The movie claims it is not the blindness that cripples one, but the drug abuse. Explains how to get along without one's eyes. A lot of music, but little insight into his music making. At times boring if you are not a Ray Charles fan.
  6. Mar 21, 2012
    Ray est l'exemple type du biopic classique. A savoir, on choisit une célébrité (ici, Ray Charles) et on en fait un film sur sa vie, sans réaliser la moindre prouesse question mise en scène, le tout reposant sur les épaules de l'acteur principal (Jamie Foxx) et également sur la bo (c'est quand même Ray Charles!). Sans compter dans le lot un montage rapide et brouillon. Mais fort heureusement, Ray est un film qui se laisse suivre sans déplaisir, et ce grâce à une certaine énergie, dûe justement à la rapidité du montage (en l'occurence avantage et défaut à la fois), la distribution et les chansons de l'artiste. Un biopic animé et qui nous dévoile (tout de même) quelques vices de ce personnage (drogue, adultère...). Collapse
  7. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this would be a 9.5 out of 10. Acting is really. Especially Jamie foxx. He was outstanding. Well deserved for his Oscar. Score is good. Story is really good showing the life of ray charles. Overall, this is a great movie. All of the good music, great performances, it just really good. Highly recommended.
  8. Nov 9, 2012
    The life story of Ray Charles is a solid one. And here it is portrayed well. But, overall, this travels on the shoulders of Mr. Foxx.

1. Unlike his songs, the film holds something back. It goes deep into a life filled with as much trouble and pain as triumph and accomplishment but never quite gets at the root of who Ray is.
    Jamie Foxx gets so far inside the man and his music that he and Ray Charles seem to breathe as one.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Bursting at the seams with music, Taylor Hackford's ambitious film provides a good sense of the pioneering entertainer's extraordinary journey and brings it to life with plenty of colorful detail.