7.1

1. Oct 8, 2011
    I was apparently WAY too old for this movie. It was predictable from the opening frame. Maybe a good family film to take your kids to but just didn't hold my attention the way Super 8 did which was also a family film. Hugh Jackman carries the entire film as far as I'm concerned. His model-looking girlfriend who is a mechanic (yeah right) is not used much and the kid is a little hammyI was apparently WAY too old for this movie. It was predictable from the opening frame. Maybe a good family film to take your kids to but just didn't hold my attention the way Super 8 did which was also a family film. Hugh Jackman carries the entire film as far as I'm concerned. His model-looking girlfriend who is a mechanic (yeah right) is not used much and the kid is a little hammy at times. Actually he's hammy most of the time. Lots of preposterous eye rolling moments. I looked at my watch a couple of times hoping it would end. Also, Hugh Jackman plays a jerk who ignored his kid his entire life and couldn't even remember his wife's sister's name, and yet we're suddenly supposed to be cheering for him? Now suddenly he's a good guy since he introduced his 11 year old son to the art of boxing and betting on sports? Expand
  2. Oct 9, 2011
    This could've been much much better if they just made one adjustment - remove the kid. Seriously one of the most annoying child characters ever portrayed on film. This kid is a shining example of Gen Y at it's worst. All throughout the film I was left cringing at his dialogue and his motivation, this kid was just too much of an arrogant brat to sympathize with or even understand.

As for

As for the rest of the film, visually it's a treat with great CGI and a really interesting mix of beautiful American country side and state of the art futuristic robots. I thought the cinematography was excellent and gave the movie a look and feel unlike anything else. Hugh Jackman was great despite also having a slightly unlikeable character.

As for the story it self, it's basically a mish-mash of a variety of Disney style family orientated films. Father reunites with son, old vs new, good vs evil, the underdog, little guy vs coorporation, etc. At times this movie lays it on so thick that you just want to vomit.

To me this movie could best be described as 2 Stallone films in 1. "Over the Top", and "Rocky" + robots. Again, it's a shame the child character was such a douche which ultimately really detracted from the film.
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    This movie was below average. At some point it even felt like a parody, because the dialogue was so bad. I have to say I liked the idea of the movie - robots as boxers - but that was the extent of it. As for Hugh Jackman, I was amazed that he would be involved with this kind of movie with such a weak storyline. The robot fighting scenes where interesting and also CGI was great.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    I found the movie very likable 3/4 of the way, but then the movie became very childish at the end. The special effects are very good, probably the best ones I seen to date.
  5. Feb 26, 2012
    Real Steel is very predictable, has an annoying Justin Bieber character whom dances with robots and has a story with unnecessary 'conflict' stuffed in to fill each scene. The robot designs were so so and the story was meh. Real Steel is watchable and I didn't hate it but is uninspired.
  6. May 9, 2012
    I only need one line to describe this film:

"Rocky" + "Transformers" + "Over the Top" = One of the stupidest, predictable, badly written and acted movies ever! EVER!!!!!!!! Plus, I really think that the owners to the rights for Stallone's 1987 "Over the Top" should sue for plagiarism because Shawn Levy and the gang aren't even trying to hide it, they're just banking on the fact that not
    I only need one line to describe this film:

Plus, I really think that the owners to the rights for Stallone's 1987 "Over the Top" should sue for plagiarism because Shawn Levy and the gang aren't even trying to hide it, they're just banking on the fact that not too many people remember that film these days.

7. Feb 19, 2012
    I cannot deny that it was entertaining, but it kinda disappointed me...
    Not too shabby, but it wasn't really worth watching. Visual effects were good though.
  8. May 8, 2012
    Story line malfunction and childish dialogue. The trailer presents Real Steel as hardcore action, not an under ten year old adventure, and don't even expect the "fight for me" ending to be any better, just nonexistent. (message me for my full evaluation)
  9. Jan 6, 2012
    Predictable, fun and with a heartfelt story but Jackman's acting let's it down. Young boy actor had a great personality and basically carried the film in my eyes, Surprised that Jackman's acting was so sub-par as usually enjoy him in pretty much anything. Disappointed.
  10. Oct 17, 2011
    This utterly mediocre movie never makes you want to walk out in disgust but it never makes you want to see it twice either. Mixing elements of Xbox360 Kinect and Rockem Sockem robots for what I'm sure will be a profitable toy tie in this movie is ideal for kids the age of the star but adults may be bored at the predictable fair. They have parts from pro bots but never even upgrade thisThis utterly mediocre movie never makes you want to walk out in disgust but it never makes you want to see it twice either. Mixing elements of Xbox360 Kinect and Rockem Sockem robots for what I'm sure will be a profitable toy tie in this movie is ideal for kids the age of the star but adults may be bored at the predictable fair. They have parts from pro bots but never even upgrade this sparring bot. it makes no sense for him to win or for the deadbeat dad to come around to being a father but it's not horrible. it's not great either. It's just one big robot **** fight with a father son team. it was okay, take your kid to it. Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2011
    Don't let my mixed reaction fool you, Real Steel was a real pleasure. It surpassed my expectations, and I must say, my expectations were quite low. This is one of the few movies which turned out better than its 'sobby' premise suggests, though slightly so. It was a 'people-person' film. It had a decent story line, that unfortunately fell prey to predictability, but still managed to pay offDon't let my mixed reaction fool you, Real Steel was a real pleasure. It surpassed my expectations, and I must say, my expectations were quite low. This is one of the few movies which turned out better than its 'sobby' premise suggests, though slightly so. It was a 'people-person' film. It had a decent story line, that unfortunately fell prey to predictability, but still managed to pay off a bit. It also had a charismatic cast who you couldn't help but root for. The robot sound designs were fantastic adding weight and, most importantly, character to all these different types of boxing machines. On the negative side, it was a film that's only really good for the moment; it doesn't stand out much in any way. It fell victim to many cliches (as mentioned before) thanks to its by-the-book approach in telling the story. And most of all it wasn't very ambitious; in other words, it didn't strive to go beyond what it was meant to be; which was a mildly entertaining action flick. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2011
    Entertaining, but nothing more then that. Lack of content, acting a little bit turmoil, since they didn't had much to work with. Fighting scenes were interesting (exaggerated sometimes), and the kid was super annoying.
  13. Oct 21, 2011
    Skip-it - You already know about the dumb robot-boxing plot, but the actually-exciting, over-the-top, Hollywood action will pull you in if you're not careful. Skip this film -- even if it's on HBO.
  14. Oct 22, 2011
    Could have been better in a lot of ways but Real Steel fails to get the action and drama affect me. The action sequences just looks like a cartoonish fight night version of pacquiao and his rivals.The drama is corny and nothing that will make you cry. The 3D is great to see in IMAX but basically the film is just boring!!! Don't waste your time watching in IMAX, maybe it's worth to see in 2D.
  15. Nov 18, 2011
    I thought that the idea in Real Steel was bad but there was a lot more to it than I expected. It had a good story and great performances from all the actors.
  16. Nov 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not Bad. Seems like more of a child movie, as the sense of Robots who just punch and Jab eachother. I thought throughout the whole movie, that the effects were great, yet the storyline was lacking. not much was explained, and it felt like the journey jumped from beginning to end when the fights began. what, 1 real fight, then portions of a fight, then champion fights? Expand
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    It's hard to knockdown a movie like Real Steel. Hugh Jackman is a genuinely good actor with a nice supporting cast surrounding him. The visuals are incorporated well that you don't think twice about them being around humans, and the fight scenes are well filmed. But when the actions slows and the humans come into the picture, it begins to strain its story with too many emotional highs andIt's hard to knockdown a movie like Real Steel. Hugh Jackman is a genuinely good actor with a nice supporting cast surrounding him. The visuals are incorporated well that you don't think twice about them being around humans, and the fight scenes are well filmed. But when the actions slows and the humans come into the picture, it begins to strain its story with too many emotional highs and "big" moments. Worse still, it thinks its sly with these situations, which makes it seem a little shameless. It' not a bad movie, but its not the great movie it thinks it is. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2012
    This was no where near as bad as I first thought it could be and in my head all I could hear was the Rocky soundtrack but still, this film isn't amazing either. Parts of it were emotional, a very tiny proportion was funny and some bits were charming. A standard film made for children.
  19. Mar 9, 2013
    Great font of entertainment, and awesome adventure with little messages, perfect and adaptable for all ages, it's not a great and touching movie but is funny and have a great history.
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    Real Steel was more or less an average movie. While the story and characters felt undeveloped, it was quite entertaining watching the fight scenes. The acting was not bad, but was not the best neither. It was like a mix from Rocky and Transformers.
  21. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I kept on waiting for a "ghost in the shell" plot that never materialized. I don't have a problem with the father/son story, but remote controlled robots as a big time event is too silly for me. Perhaps if they had gone a little closer to reality and featured a father/son robot story based on what has already been done in robot fighting, i.e. Battle Bots, and kept it small time I would have accepted it. But I really needed the kid's bot to turn out to be another Sonny, from I, Robot; or B1-66ER of The Matrix; or Andrew of Bicentennial Man; and to give that line of the story a lot of face time. At the end it seems clear that Atom, the robot, was indeed working autonomously but it comes too little too late. (Also, it's not super clear weather or not this is a robot with a human soul, or 'Ghost', or simply a learning computer AI being slightly evolved...).

Also, "Who, Boy, let's fight a bull!" not being a tragedy but a hokey way to introduce the father's loosing streak? Not cool. You want to feature CG animal abuse, fine, but you don't treat it like fun.
  22. May 21, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Real Steel is a good movie. Hugh Jackman is overshadowed by the kid Dakota Goyo. Besides the slomo, the silent shots and Atom losing, Real Steel had an excellent build-up but a weak ending Expand

1. Reviewed by: James White
    Oct 10, 2011
    Rocky with robots? It's not quite in Balboa's weight class, but Real Steel at least has some heft. There's barely a story beat among the beat-downs that you won't expect, and sometimes the saccharine gets in the way of the spectacle, but on the whole this is enjoyable family entertainment.
  2. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Oct 10, 2011
    The story remains sadly mired in botdom, which leads to some boredom. It's hard to look away from the ever-dazzling Jackman, but the sight of him hunched over the controls of something akin to a live action video game is not, in the end, much more exciting than the sight of your average teenager hunched over the controls of a Game Boy.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Oct 7, 2011
    When making a film for 10-year-old boys, it doesn't have to be good, necessarily -- just good enough. And that's exactly what Real Steel is: good enough.