4.4

1. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't know why Chris Hemsworth always ends up in bad movies, but this is another one. Way too much teen/young adult angst, cliches, and hollow characters. Honestly, most of the people in here I couldn't have cared less about, nor do I remember them a day later. The story doesn't make any sense either, because by the end of the movie I still couldn't figure out why the hell there was anI don't know why Chris Hemsworth always ends up in bad movies, but this is another one. Way too much teen/young adult angst, cliches, and hollow characters. Honestly, most of the people in here I couldn't have cared less about, nor do I remember them a day later. The story doesn't make any sense either, because by the end of the movie I still couldn't figure out why the hell there was an invasion in the first place, nor why an army which could defeat the US military couldn't kill a couple kids... Thankfully the action scenes are tolerably good, but overall there's too little fighting and way too much whining. Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    A solid movie that could have been so much better. The characters are not particularly interesting and it did not have as epic of a feel as it could have.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    This remake of the 1984 film has shifted the villains from Russia to North Korea. (It was shot several years ago with Chinese villains, but times have changed and so did the flags and uniforms in post production.). Pre-Thor Chris Hensworth and pre-Hunger Games Josh Hutcherson lead the cast of young people who take on the hostile foreign invaders. Their pluck and guerilla tactics areThis remake of the 1984 film has shifted the villains from Russia to North Korea. (It was shot several years ago with Chinese villains, but times have changed and so did the flags and uniforms in post production.). Pre-Thor Chris Hensworth and pre-Hunger Games Josh Hutcherson lead the cast of young people who take on the hostile foreign invaders. Their pluck and guerilla tactics are amazingly slick and successful for such an untrained group, but there's not much about this film that's realistic. Some of the action is good, but much of it is blurred and choppy Expand
  4. Nov 22, 2012
    It's certainly not as bad as the pro critics would suggest. As a tribute to the first film, it's decent, but it lacks the charm of the original. Hemsworth is not nearly as magnetic as Swayze. But it's a dumb fun action flick that keeps the blood pumping, so I'd give is a modest recommendation to those who are into this sort of thing.
  5. Feb 19, 2013
    Enjoyable action film. Didn't have close to the storyline of the original, but enjoyable to watch. If you are looking for a remake of the original, this is not it. If you are looking for an action flick, have at it.
  6. Dec 10, 2012
    Though it's not as bad as the critics make it out to be, there's no question Red Dawn is a silly, over-the-top, wannabe-bad ass sort of film. But despite all that, it's actually kind of fun.
  7. Dec 6, 2012
    Oh! This picture has failed to reach my upmost desires and expectation in a film of such topic. During the picture, i felt the desire to bash my skull into my adversaries while denouncing the queen herself! I declare this film treachery against England and her royalty. BAN THIS PICTURE AT ONCE! But...... Oh did i enjoy the appearance of "Josh". the lovely individual whom played Josh onOh! This picture has failed to reach my upmost desires and expectation in a film of such topic. During the picture, i felt the desire to bash my skull into my adversaries while denouncing the queen herself! I declare this film treachery against England and her royalty. BAN THIS PICTURE AT ONCE! But...... Oh did i enjoy the appearance of "Josh". the lovely individual whom played Josh on Drake and Josh. Expand
  8. Dec 17, 2012
    I am a fan of the original and this one was just fine...worth seeing (probably more of a Redbox than a $12 movie ticket), but good fun, different enough from the original but close enough to "honor" it.
  9. Sep 27, 2013
    It's mildly entertaining and highly unrealistic. I've never seen the original so I can't compare it to this remake. I can say that it can be entertaining at times but overall the odd casting choices and emotional moments that fall short bring the experience down. Still it can be worth a watch just for the decent yet unrealistic action sequences that are packed with explosions. The castIt's mildly entertaining and highly unrealistic. I've never seen the original so I can't compare it to this remake. I can say that it can be entertaining at times but overall the odd casting choices and emotional moments that fall short bring the experience down. Still it can be worth a watch just for the decent yet unrealistic action sequences that are packed with explosions. The cast does a good job but the only character that feels like they belong in a movie like this is Chris Hemsworth. Seeing Josh Peck and Hutcherson take down numerous Korean soldiers better than a squad of fully trained marines is more than a little unbelievable. Still the movie is watchable, so if you have nothing better to do then there are worse things to watch in your free time. Expand
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    Horrible, just horrible. No word to describe how horrible this movie is.
  11. Mar 19, 2013
    Red Dawn is a passable action flick, the acting is alright but still mediocre, Red Dawn enjoyable at times but ultimately fails compared to it's past installment. Give it a rental if you're interested but if you're not there's nothing Red Dawn can do for you. Wolverines? More like Puppies...(Man I'm not proud of that)
  12. Mar 17, 2013
    Let me get this straight, Red Dawn is somewhat a fun movie. Despite that its boring direction and screenplay, the old version was defiantly better but tired directors that just want business made this film. Red Dawn is one of those films that makes the audiences bored and nostalgic. Some scenes were worthy to be in a Hollywood movie but this is one of the stink piles Hollywood makes, ButLet me get this straight, Red Dawn is somewhat a fun movie. Despite that its boring direction and screenplay, the old version was defiantly better but tired directors that just want business made this film. Red Dawn is one of those films that makes the audiences bored and nostalgic. Some scenes were worthy to be in a Hollywood movie but this is one of the stink piles Hollywood makes, But Overall it's a fun movie. Expand
  13. Mar 29, 2013
    I was actually surprised with this movie. It has a lot of negative reviews so I expected it to really suck. I was actually really surprised that I enjoyed this movie so much. No it's not anywhere close to movie of the year but it wasn't that bad. Granted,I didn't see the original and that may change my opinion.
  14. May 30, 2013
    Okay, it's no secret that "Red Dawn" is not loyal to the original "Red Dawn," but that does not make the new one bad. Yes, a remake was unnecessary, but the movie was pretty legit as far a remakes go. It has the same premise and it did it well. What I took away from the movie is the execution, which was a mess. But I guess I still liked the movie a bit so I'll be nice and give it aOkay, it's no secret that "Red Dawn" is not loyal to the original "Red Dawn," but that does not make the new one bad. Yes, a remake was unnecessary, but the movie was pretty legit as far a remakes go. It has the same premise and it did it well. What I took away from the movie is the execution, which was a mess. But I guess I still liked the movie a bit so I'll be nice and give it a positive rating, because I'm just a sucker like that. Collapse
  15. Jul 23, 2013
    This movie isn't completely awful but it has quite a few flaws. For example the script for the movie kills off people that seem like the best characters, and it was one of the worst endings in a movie that I have ever seen. But the overall movie is o.k, it doesn't spend too much time in character development, it's action packed, and the plot was pretty good.
  16. Feb 15, 2014
    I thought "Red Dawn" had enough Guns, violence, frustration and heroic attributes to be like the original--but that's the only reason. The acting was terrible. In fact the only acceptable acting done in this movie had to be by Hemsworth.
  17. Nov 13, 2014
    "Red Dawn" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Despite the silliness, I was entertained through portions of it. It isn't a realistic movie at all, but the actors did a decent enough job with what they were given ... The Bad: ... but they weren't given much. I can only suspend belief so far before a film becomes inadvertently humorous. While the original became a cult
    "Red Dawn" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: ... but they weren't given much. I can only suspend belief so far before a film becomes inadvertently humorous. While the original became a cult classic, this one is mostly forgettable.
  18. Feb 16, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If Red Dawn was the first episode of a mini-series, it would be awesome and I would watch all other 5 episodes. It introduces so many plot points, such as the black kid's father being a sellout, the black kid having a tracking chip in him, the Korean general who threatened to handle things himself, and the huge opportunity for Josh Peck's character to evolve from a whiny, completely unlikable wanker in to a strong, inspiring and competent leader of the Wolverines.

But it isn't.

Would you build half of a bridge?
    Would you cook your food halfway?
    Would you sleep in half of a bed?
    Then why does Red Dawn have only half of a story?

None of those intriguing plot points are ever resolved.

When (spoiler) Chris Hemsworth's character gets killed, I honestly thought "There's no way Josh Peck and Josh Hutcherson can carry the rest of this movie."

Their characters hadn't developed at all.

Josh Hutcherson's character flip-floped all over the place, one minute puking at the sight of a dead body and the next minute robbing a Subway. Not an underground train, which would be B.A., it was the sandwich chain that he robbed.

Josh Peck's character had no redeeming qualities. He was irresponsible and had gotten people killed because he was so stupid. It would be interesting to see how he had to adapt and step up and grow as a person, having to take his brother's place.

I highly doubted that the two as actors could keep me interested in the movie to the end. But I was interested to see how well they could carry the rest of the movie.

But they didn't carry it. The movie was over. Their characters would never develop. The plot would never be resolved. The story would never be finished.

It wasn't an artistic, creative swerve that left you refreshed and intrigued. It was lazy.
  19. Jun 10, 2015
    I don't think that this movie is as bad as some critics say but that doesn't mean that it's good either.It gets convoluted most of the time and some of the acting is pretty much terrible.The action if you can call it that way it's not good and in the end this remake is just another reason to hate what Hollywood are doing with the old films just for some money,they are destroying the movieI don't think that this movie is as bad as some critics say but that doesn't mean that it's good either.It gets convoluted most of the time and some of the acting is pretty much terrible.The action if you can call it that way it's not good and in the end this remake is just another reason to hate what Hollywood are doing with the old films just for some money,they are destroying the movie industry. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    This has to be the year's most pointless remake: a boring and badly acted reboot of John Milius's gung-ho red-scare actioner from 1984.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Mar 11, 2013
    The doltish, messy and frequently incoherent result bears all the hallmarks of a botched and compromised endeavour.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Mar 11, 2013
    Long-delayed. Arguably not long enough.