Red Eye

8.6

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Engaging in plot and simple in its intensity, Red Eye is terrifying and absorbing simultaneously, hammering at the audience without remorse. Bravo, Wes Craven.
  2. Aug 11, 2010
    Wes Craven in the past has given us some of the greatest horror classics whether they be "The Last the House on the Left"(1972), Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984), The Hills Have Eyes"(1977), "The Hills Have Eyes Part II"(1985), "Scream"(1996), "Scream II"(1997) and "Scream III"(2000). Craven has always delivered a new and terrifying twist on one of cinema's oldest and most reveredWes Craven in the past has given us some of the greatest horror classics whether they be "The Last the House on the Left"(1972), Nightmare on Elm Street" (1984), The Hills Have Eyes"(1977), "The Hills Have Eyes Part II"(1985), "Scream"(1996), "Scream II"(1997) and "Scream III"(2000). Craven has always delivered a new and terrifying twist on one of cinema's oldest and most revered genres the one thing about Craven I've always liked is that he doesn't try and do the same thing twice. Actually, I take that back he did do the same thing twice actually three times with the Scream series (It got ridiculous after two). Craven has always managed to give us a new and original look at horror, Craven has always stuck to the ground so the real question is what if the master of modern horror took to the skies.

Wes Craven's "RED EYE" is a smart and engaging economic thriller that while lacking the grounded terror of most Wes Craven films it does in fact evoke the oldest of all fears, the fear of flying. People fear flying for many reasons some fear it because they are afraid of heights like me. They fear flying because they are afraid the plane will have some kind of problem and crash; the reason for fear of flying is infinite and in this film it churns out a story that resonates well with modern audiences it is a story about one girl and one terrorist trapped on a red eye flight to Miami. Craven is a master of horror, has proved with this film that he can expanded past the trappings of the horror genre, and create an action thriller that works as a character driven story as much as it does as an action picture. The story of this picture in some ways lacks originality as it is reminiscent but not derivative of other films of it's type sort of like Wolfgang Petersen's "Air Force One" or George Seaton's "Airport " and don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story, I loved it but it could have worked out a little better in my opinion. â
  3. Mar 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very good execution of the story. It was very believable and gripping. Cillian Murphy was the perfect bad guy and Rachel McAdams was the perfect victim. My favorite part was when Rachel McAdams escaped and Cillian Murphy was chasing her through the airport. Very well made and very entertaining thriller. Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2014
    In an age of over-saturated and exhausted thrillers, Wes Craven is able to bring us a much needed fresh one. Red Eye isn't the typical Wes Craven-horror flick, it's much more. Cillian Murphy is devastatingly good and Rachel McAdams is charming as ever.
  5. Oct 27, 2013
    A short, but great thriller film that's engaging all way through. It touches on several subjects and progresses by combining them to one. So, that's how the story goes. It is cheesy at times, but it manages to stay interesting. And the performances are exceptional at best.
    Red Eye is a very solid thriller, that everyone should watch and I can safely say it is underrated by users (Final Score: 8.30)
  6. Sep 21, 2014
    Horror Expert Wes Craven gives us red eye . one of the tempting , thrilling , compelling , airplane action movies ever to made violence one hundred percent epic. Racheal Mcadams gives up a thrilling performance that was never seen since the classic tale of the Notebook , The Vow . Cillian Murphy's performance is actually the red eye it sparkles full of evil. Grade A+
  7. Feb 15, 2014
    An edge of your seat heart pounding thriller film that emphasized the situation any chance it could get. Which it did. "Red Eye" was good and is a movie I would definitely watch again.
  8. Oct 22, 2013
    Lisa Reisert is the go to girl as 'Red Eye' opens, she is a hotel manager who is catching a flight back home, she's on the phone for the first few scenes trying to rectify a matter over a call, she's busy and always on the move, but apparent is capable of defusing any situation, but she is put into a very different situation when she catches the last flight back to Miami, this has all theLisa Reisert is the go to girl as 'Red Eye' opens, she is a hotel manager who is catching a flight back home, she's on the phone for the first few scenes trying to rectify a matter over a call, she's busy and always on the move, but apparent is capable of defusing any situation, but she is put into a very different situation when she catches the last flight back to Miami, this has all the tendencies to be a decent thriller, and save for a few plot snags and some over-zealous tones, Red Eye succeeds in being enjoyable, full of suspense and doesn't drag it's feet. Rachel McAdams plays the overworked girl, but she doesn't oversell her character which seems to be common territory now, it's quite easy to get carried away with plot details, but McAdams has had her fair share of mainstream roles over the years, she reacts how we assume people would react in these situations, but of course this doesn't come without a plot that has no need to be as complex and figuring as it is, but she has a foe in the form of Jackson, playing what appears to be the ideal man behind her in the check-in line, he helps her out with another unruly passenger, buying her a drink and laughing over each others names and stories about relatives, but he has plans when they board their flight, his charm soon turns to sinister motives when he outlines his plan to Lisa, not to give too much away, but her retired father (Brian Cox) is somewhat involved in a sort of hostage situation that depends on Lisa following everything she is told. The film uses its plane setting to its advantage, using the enclosed space for more candid scenes and that added dose of claustrophobic intensity. We have quite a short and snappy thrill ride in Red Eye, strong performances from the increasingly brilliant McAdams and the resident bad guy Murphy prove to make the film what it is, especially when they hit the ground and a car and mouse game ensues, Murphy's character still soldiers on, even with a pen lodged into his neck. Wes Craven is the man behind the 'Scream' series, it's clear here as he often creates situations that are often comical more than they are frightening, but the chemistry between the two leads leaves the small flaws behind, this is interesting, thrilling and well acted in a short time frame, it doesn't sell out but instead casts McAdams who doesn't forget the sort of film she's doing, but also remains believable and doesn't oversell the plot at all, definitely a film that succeeds in not dragging out scenarios but gets to the point. Expand
  9. MartinS.
    Aug 27, 2006
    Their was nothing special about the story. What made the movie interesting was the role of the feme fatale (Rachel McAdams). The fact that the writers took the time to touch on her athletic past made the role believable. A story done before but well executed.
  10. RassamF.
    Oct 30, 2005
    I thought it was a gripping movie, and was well acted by all cast, like its as well becuase just cam back from miami.lol but was a good film.
  11. TedH.
    Aug 17, 2005
    Excellent film, refreshing lack of mega-explosions and somersaulting automobiles, very lean, stays on track throughout.
  12. JennyC.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Loved it. yes it was a more simple movie then say some of the big epic ones. nothing OH MY GOSH. but it was great. both rachel mcadams and cillian murphy can act superbly. i really loved rachel's character even though she was somewhat predictable. she turned that role into something more. cillian was just plan devious but in a way that you couldn't quite hate him. i sort of wish Loved it. yes it was a more simple movie then say some of the big epic ones. nothing OH MY GOSH. but it was great. both rachel mcadams and cillian murphy can act superbly. i really loved rachel's character even though she was somewhat predictable. she turned that role into something more. cillian was just plan devious but in a way that you couldn't quite hate him. i sort of wish the whole movie stayed on the plane though. those parts were the best. i think i'll see it again haha. Expand
  13. TonyB.
    Aug 20, 2005
    Not the most original movie, but if you're looking for a fun, suspnseful thirller, this is the best I've seen in a while. I really wasn't sure with the last few films Wes Craven has put out, but this one really paid off. I'd recomend it to anyone with the ability to just sit back and enjoy a film.
  14. MarkB.
    Aug 24, 2005
    It's not surprising that a thriller released less than 4 years after 9/11 and dealing with airborne terrorism (or, more specifically, terrorism conducted FROM an airplane) would endeavor to ruffle as few political feathers as possible: the intended assassination target is a Deputy Director of Homeland Security whose incendiary message (something on the order of "we've got to get It's not surprising that a thriller released less than 4 years after 9/11 and dealing with airborne terrorism (or, more specifically, terrorism conducted FROM an airplane) would endeavor to ruffle as few political feathers as possible: the intended assassination target is a Deputy Director of Homeland Security whose incendiary message (something on the order of "we've got to get tough on these hostile nations") is general enough that red- and blue-staters can fundamentally agree on it, and the fact that his life is at stake because of this indicates that terrorists are notoriously thin-skinned folk. But then, Wes Craven is neither Costa-Gavras or Oliver Stone, nor Lionel Chetwynd or John Milius; even as himself, he's a long way from enraging and offending audiences with his three-decades-ago gorefests Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes, and the most controversial message he's been pushing as of late is the notion that werewolves can live normal lives just like you and me, in this year's earlier Cursed. Nope, Craven's just out to thrill these days, and Red Eye demonstrates that he can still do that very, very well. Excellent, claustrophobia-inducing employment of very limited space for much of the movie, with special kudos for Craven's use of close-ups, plus lots of clever touches in Carl Ellsworth's script (you gotta like an airplane movie that refers to the Mile-High Club without ever mentioning it by name, and a suspense thriller that includes a Dr. Phil book as one of the props!) make this a continually entertaining and effective sweat-inducer, drawing pleasant comparisons with last summer's terrific Cellular. In the airport, in the air, and back on the ground, Red Eye works so well for what it is that my only real complaint is actually a compliment: it's one of the few movies currently around that actually could've afforded to be ten minutes longer! Rachel McAdams as a hotel manager forced to help with the murder continues the roll she embarked on with Mean Girls, The Notebook and Wedding Crashers; here as in those, she's utterly incapable of making a wrong or false acting move. Cillian Murphy (Scarecrow in Batman Begins) is masterful at blending softspokenness and charm with psychopathia and danger; his almost feminine facial features make him even creepier. But for my money, the movie absolutely belongs to newcomer Jayma Mays, a tiny little thing who steals scenes and hearts as an overwhelmed employee at McAdams' hotel. With her Walter Keene-kitten eyes, tremulous voice, and wobbly walk, Mays is vulnerability personified, and she's irresistable. Anyone who watches her in this movie and doesn't at least consider treating concierges, waitresses and other service personnel with at least a little more kindness, patience and consideration deserves to go to the back of a never-ending line at whatever airport, hotel, restaurant, movie theater or other facility that represents his or her worst vision of Customer Service Hell. Expand
  15. ScottE.
    Aug 27, 2005
    This movie had all the underpinnings of a classic Hitchcock flick but didn't deliver the results. Sure, it seemed like a made-for-TV movie at times, but you have to admit that you're suspending your belief for a fun ride at the matinee. There was a point in this movie where I respected Wes Craven's savvy on an artistic level as the main villian started to pursue the This movie had all the underpinnings of a classic Hitchcock flick but didn't deliver the results. Sure, it seemed like a made-for-TV movie at times, but you have to admit that you're suspending your belief for a fun ride at the matinee. There was a point in this movie where I respected Wes Craven's savvy on an artistic level as the main villian started to pursue the protagonist with dogged persistence. It went through 15 minutes where the bad guy was stepping into the room, was behind the shower curtain, was behind the unlocked door, was right next to the answering machine, etc. My girlfriend kept rubbing her hands on her knees nervously and kept yelping at all of the twist and turns. That's my kinda date movie, ya know? I enjoyed this movie experience because Rachel McAdams, the main heroine with such a lovable personality, was so adept at adapting to the different suspenseful events. I'm not saying that Wes Craven was struggling to adapt his vision to an acceptable PG-13 movie, but it seemed evident that he was straining his creative influences to release a movie that would be acceptable to a mass audience. Sure, it's understandable that there were major holes in the plot that you can drive a semi-truck through. But the fun-loving, playful attitude from this movie made it so easily digestible that it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. And whatever the critics might say, I have to admit that having a combatitive heroine who saves the day makes this the kind of film that I'm willing to pay good money to see in the cinema. I hope that others can appreciate my perspective. While I agree that head-butts and violence against women are not appreciated, I understand that the visceral pleasure of seeing the good girl get her revenge was worth the price of admission to this PG-13 movie. Let me know if you agree. Expand
  16. ClintM.
    Sep 1, 2005
    Definitely a worthy summer suspense movie! Rachel McAdams and Celian Murphy were great in their roles and the movie built really good suspense throughout. Totally enjoyable!
  17. SvenJ.
    Sep 1, 2005
    Very good!
  18. EricaL.
    Sep 5, 2005
    Definetly worth the trip. It would have been a ten if it was longer. Keepes you guessing the whole time. Even if you are not a fan of thrillers, you will enjoy it!
  19. KatieP
    Sep 5, 2005
    It was excellent. Fairly predictable, but nonetheless, an excellent afternoon at the theatre. Rachel McAdams is stunning.
  20. JoshT.
    Sep 6, 2005
    Perfect taut popcorn thriller. rachel mcadams is awesome!
  21. WilliamW.
    Jan 22, 2006
    The performance of McAdams and Murphy and the thrilling climax make this average thriller just a little above average.
  22. EericD.
    Mar 26, 2006
    Loved this movie. You do have to suspend belief a little bit, but the payoff is great in my opinion. I thought that the casting was great. This movie was so entertaining from start to finish. Isn't that the whole idea? Highly recommend it.
  23. WillieG.
    Aug 18, 2006
    This was a fun flick, I enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely one of those popcorn type thrillers where you don't 2nd guess every improbable event and plot point, but rather just kick back and enjoy the ride. You know going in that the plot is far fetched, so it's better to let yourself be entertained without judging films like this with the same criticality you would apply to This was a fun flick, I enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely one of those popcorn type thrillers where you don't 2nd guess every improbable event and plot point, but rather just kick back and enjoy the ride. You know going in that the plot is far fetched, so it's better to let yourself be entertained without judging films like this with the same criticality you would apply to a weighty drama. I like WC's style of tension and suspense, I'd like to see him do a good action thriller or two in coming years. I saw this in the theatre the first time around, and I thought it was tense, atmospheric, and paced very well. The acting performances were admirable too, I would like to see the female lead take on something deeper and more dramatic instead of the estrogen laden chick flicks she's usually in. I think this film showed she has some depth and range, attractive too. This is no film for the ages, but I'll award a 9 for being enjoyable. I'm deducting a point for the way things wrapped up at the end though, it deserved an ending at least as good as the rest of the film. Expand
  24. MichaelV.
    Oct 9, 2005
    Pretty good.
  25. KimG.
    Aug 18, 2005
    This movie kept me involved in the plot througout it's entire run. I found myself rooting for Lisa and excited to see her turn the tables on Jack. Pulse pounding to the very end.
  26. DianeM.
    Aug 20, 2005
    When you find yourself saying "Yes!" out loud at a happening near the end, you know you've had fun. Yes, it's improbable, but it's a movie, and an entertaining one. The character Cynthia steals every second she has on screen.
  27. RicardoP.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Red Eye is a great thriller. The film was concise and satisfying. A must see.
  28. DaveB.
    Aug 23, 2005
    What a great movie!! A non-stop thrill ride from beginning to end! Again i ask, what ever happened to just going to a movie to enjoy yourself?? If you are gonna sit there and be critical just stay home, watch some documentary on the mating habits of monkeys, drink your double foam non-fat triple latte and shut the @#$% up!!
  29. Kelsie
    Aug 24, 2005
    I LOVED IT SO MUCH!! My favorite Rachel McAdams film ever.
  30. Rob
    Aug 27, 2005
    Suprisingly intense movie. Overall good movie eventhough a little short for my taste. Rachael McAdams is sooooo Hot.
  31. ChadS.
    Sep 13, 2005
    With references to Homeland Security and Dr. Phil, and an oncoming threat to human life that originates from the ocean(even the word "eye" is prescient), "Red Eye" bears a passing resemblance to our current tragedy, with the exception of characters like Lisa(Rachel McAdams) and Cynthia(Jayma Mays), who are in position to save lives and do so, because they're able to make decisions With references to Homeland Security and Dr. Phil, and an oncoming threat to human life that originates from the ocean(even the word "eye" is prescient), "Red Eye" bears a passing resemblance to our current tragedy, with the exception of characters like Lisa(Rachel McAdams) and Cynthia(Jayma Mays), who are in position to save lives and do so, because they're able to make decisions and move quickly. "Red Eye" works because Cillian Murphy doesn't telegraph his psychotic side; you believe that Lisa could fall for his charms. It's important that her character isn't stupid. We don't sympathize with movie idiots. "Red Eye" starts to resemble a routine thriller when Lisa is out on her own, but if you're aware of "North by Northwest", you might notice a homage to Hitchcock late in the film. Expand
  32. RobertV.
    Sep 18, 2005
    This movie shows why Craven is a master in the horror and suspense genre. If he explained the constants and variables in his "Scream" movies, now's the time to see if we learned... This is a movie for real movie lovers not popcorn consumers.
  33. MikeF.
    Jan 19, 2006
    great movie, what the hell is everyone talking about. This movie was awesome
  34. MelanieC.
    Jan 27, 2006
    this was a great movie kept me on the edge of my seat! it was worth every cent and had me talking about it almost weeks after i had saw it!
  35. EMoore
    Jan 9, 2006
    This movie is wonderfully crafted to be sure. Rachel McAdams is mesmerizing. The pacing is right on. And twists that will delight those looking for something fresh in a genre like this. It is not on the same level as a TV movie, that's ignorance. I'll be buying this one for my DVD collection... please fasten your seat belts!
  36. Deanna
    Feb 25, 2007
    A very interesting movie, with unexpected turns throughout the movie. I was disappointed in the ending, however.
  37. JoyceT.
    Nov 22, 2005
    One of the 10 best films of the year so far, but very under-rated due to its genre and its director's lack of prestige. McAdams has an uncanny ability to convey exactly what she's thinking without saying a word.
  38. PaulD.
    Aug 18, 2005
    Taut, suspenseful, well-directed, well-acted thriller. Pacing is excellent and prevents you from thinking about the plot implausibilities. Excellent, professional rendition of this kind of movie that usually doesn't appeal to me.
  39. DustinW.
    Aug 18, 2005
    GOD I loved this movie! it reminded me of Panic Room...
  40. MichaelD.
    Aug 21, 2005
    Did a great job avoiding the predictable and skirting the cliches.
  41. NickH
    Aug 22, 2005
    I went in expecting to see an average thriller. I came out, and I had experienced one of the best of the summer. The first movie of the year (and I've seen this year's 'horror films') where everyone in the theatre screamed or jumped at scares. Everyone clapped at the end, it's really a crowd pleaser - not since LotR have I been in a clapping theatre. I can't I went in expecting to see an average thriller. I came out, and I had experienced one of the best of the summer. The first movie of the year (and I've seen this year's 'horror films') where everyone in the theatre screamed or jumped at scares. Everyone clapped at the end, it's really a crowd pleaser - not since LotR have I been in a clapping theatre. I can't say enough about Murphy and McAdams, just fantastic actors. Sure it's a lil' predictable, but hell it's practically given away in the previews! Good plot, you already know it, though. The ending was cliche... BUT it was extremely fun. (How else can you end this movie without it becoming melodramatic?) Don't listen to these people who think that WES CRAVEN movies need to mirror real life and fall victim to it's exacting logic. Sure, there may have been better ways to do what Jackson was trying to achieve... but would it be interesting as 'Red Eye'? Nope. Go see this movie, today! You'll jump, you'll be taken aback, and trust me... you will yell "YES!" at the finale. **Here's hoping this is Craven's return to the cinema throne...** Expand
  42. JoshH.
    Aug 24, 2005
    Superbly acted, did well to avoid the predictible and all in all one of the best films of the year and also wes cravens best film since scream3 , maybe if i dare say it since scream 2!!!!! GO SEE IT NOW!!!! plz :-)
  43. TravisC.
    Aug 24, 2005
    The film wasn't particularly "scary," but it was very entertaining. There were some scares, some thrills, and some pretty good laughs (intentional) as well. "Jack" is scathingly funny and likeable (even though he's the "villain"). Ultimately it was just an enjoyable film. I can't remember the last time I had fun at a movie!
  44. richardb.
    Aug 27, 2005
    Just got back from Redeye, and while its not North by Northwest, if you're up for a smart, economical thriller, I cant't think of much else I've seen in the last 10 years (The Fugitive?) that comes close. Two appealing leads claustrophobically duelling to the death, nice gender reversals, plenty of startling jump out of your skin moments and half a dozen quickly sketched Just got back from Redeye, and while its not North by Northwest, if you're up for a smart, economical thriller, I cant't think of much else I've seen in the last 10 years (The Fugitive?) that comes close. Two appealing leads claustrophobically duelling to the death, nice gender reversals, plenty of startling jump out of your skin moments and half a dozen quickly sketched minor characters that all have key roles to play in the unfolding of the plot. Sure, you'll be able to figure out some of whats going to happen next, but most of the time it'll happen at such a fast clip you'll still be startled. Redeye is a below-the-fancy pants-critical radar-kind of movie-movie you'll enjoy. Die Hard meets Aliens. Expand
  45. JackD.
    Aug 28, 2005
    Ok, so Wes Craven made a mainstream movie. You know what? It is really entertaining and definitely worth seeing. It wont give you nightmares on Elm Street, but it will hold your attention throughout even if you dont Scream1, Scream2 or Scream3 times..but you might.
  46. Sam
    Sep 12, 2005
    An absolutely fantastic, brilliant, thriller. I don't give a f!@# about what Brett H. said, I thought the plot was very intruiging. I saw it with my friend and we were both just smiling thoghout the entire movie. Although forgettable, the music is fantastic and overall, with fantastic performances by Murphy and Mcadams, this is a one to remember.
  47. Jun 2, 2015
    Red Eye is good and well-executed thriller. The plot is tight and smart and pretty easy to follow. Cillian Murphy is dark and creepy, which is perfect for his role. Rachel McAdams does great here too. If you need a good thrill for a horror master, look no further than Wes Craven's Red Eye.

1. Red Eye has a devilish charm. It pulls just about every nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat trick imaginable, yet gets away with it through what is, admittedly, a clever and original gimmick.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Departing less from his horror bailiwick than he did with "Music Of The Heart" in 1999, Wes Craven retains shocks but dispenses with scares in the negligible Red Eye.
    Craven's terror-alert white-knuckler is zippy, unpretentious.