Redacted

4.6

1. JimC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Although I've given this film a "5" (generally the critical consensus at this point), I have to admit I haven't yet seen it...so I am abstaining from giving "my" opinion on this film. However, I wanted to post anyway because it's plainly obvious that nearly every "0" review (including the two longest comments!) hasn't seen it either. Look, I have no problem with Although I've given this film a "5" (generally the critical consensus at this point), I have to admit I haven't yet seen it...so I am abstaining from giving "my" opinion on this film. However, I wanted to post anyway because it's plainly obvious that nearly every "0" review (including the two longest comments!) hasn't seen it either. Look, I have no problem with calling a spade a spade. If this film is poorly made, if it presents an unrealistic view of American soldiers in Iraq, then I'm ALL FOR condemning it as trash. My problem is when people who obviously have a political axe to grind come on here and pillory this film without even having seen it. To these people, it wouldn't matter if every critic in the nation gave it a 10, they'd STILL attack it as "un-American", "Anti-soldier", and every other insult you could think of...without even seeing it!!! This has got to stop, and I hope those who are genuinely thinking of seeing this film make up their minds based on PROFESSIONAL CRITICS rather than the Jane T's and Josh C's of the world. Take your ideology someplace else, this is a FILM site...it's for people who WATCH the movies and THEN offer opinions. Thank you. Expand
  2. SeanF
    Feb 21, 2008
    Not as good or as bad as most say. An interesting/controversial look at what U.S. troops are accomplishing in Iraq. I don't see why some have branded this movie unpatriotic. If we don't think about things like this, how can we learn from the mistakes of history, and improve our actions in the world in the future?
  3. j
    Feb 12, 2008
    Powerful film, generally it is believably done, but there are a couple of scenes that don't ring true. A compelling piece of filmmaking, gritty and realistically filmed. The acting is fair. I have to give credit to director Brian de Palma for at least trying something different.

1. Anyone who sees the suffering faces of the victims in "Casualties" and "Redacted" knows that De Palma not only despairs over what he’s showing us but implicates his own medium--his own male gaze--in the crimes against nature.
    Brian De Palma's Redacted doesn't quite work as a movie. But it works as SOMETHING.
  3. De Palma's screenplay is outstanding, and he draws wonderfully naturalistic performances from his youthful cast.