Redbelt

6.7

1. NatalieR.N.
    Apr 30, 2008
    Typical Mamet -- with surprise turns and illusions. Good movie.
  2. ChadS.
    May 10, 2008
    While we recognize the sophistication behind a motif when it's employed in a literary, or cinematic work; the primary motif for "Redbelt", a bowl of chance containing three stones(two white and one black), looks downright bizarre when Mike's intellectual property is actually being utilized at the start of a mixed-martial arts fight. Under the stewardship of a fight promoter, the While we recognize the sophistication behind a motif when it's employed in a literary, or cinematic work; the primary motif for "Redbelt", a bowl of chance containing three stones(two white and one black), looks downright bizarre when Mike's intellectual property is actually being utilized at the start of a mixed-martial arts fight. Under the stewardship of a fight promoter, the man who draws the black stone, doesn't lose with honor, he just loses. The drawing of the stones works on a literary level, but as a realistic depiction of a sporting event, a condition predicated on a handicap, prior to an actual fight, seems highly unlikely, if mixed-martial arts is the new boxing, and not the new "professional wrestling". But the filmmaker needed to show Mike's "bushido" code being corrupted by dishonorable men to prompt this decent man into a transformation for his own good. In the film's climax, we can see that he's rewritten the bylaws without abandoning its basic tenets, as a means to show his wife(Alice Braga), his Hollywood connection(Tim Allen), and his new friend(Emily Mortimer), that he's going for the red belt(read: brass ring) on his own non-denominational terms. "Redbelt" is a thinking man's "Rocky", but more relevantly, it's a breathing man's "Never Back Down". It's also "House of Games" meets "State and Main". Expand
  3. AdrianM
    Aug 8, 2008
    Best MMA film to date. Good character development and quite an unexpected ending. Glad Therry did not just walk away like most people would have rathered. Remember, Therry is a fighter at heart and sometimes you just have to fight.
  4. GeorgeM
    Sep 2, 2008
    This is the strangest martial arts movie I've ever seen, its not some chop socky mess with a silly story and 1-dimensional characters, this is a complex film with a deep sense of character development.....its a personal journey for the "hero" AND the viewer as well. The is a film about morals, honor, and the human spirit that for some, simply CANNOT be broken.....our hero seems to This is the strangest martial arts movie I've ever seen, its not some chop socky mess with a silly story and 1-dimensional characters, this is a complex film with a deep sense of character development.....its a personal journey for the "hero" AND the viewer as well. The is a film about morals, honor, and the human spirit that for some, simply CANNOT be broken.....our hero seems to think about everyone but himself, and no matter how hard he tries to help other people it tends to backfire in his face but his intentions are pure and true. This is a man you really want to see succeed, its hard watching bad things happen to such a good person who means well in everything he does.....and while it ends rather abruptly with MANY questions left unanswered and the well-being of our hero a little "open".....it still manages to end like the 4th of July with a triumphant personal victory. This is a wonderful film about the "deeper" side of martial arts, the courage of someone that simply CANT be held down by the outside world, and the good that can be found in a ugly ugly world. BUY this......rent Never Back Down (then get hypnotized to forget about it), and be happy with your decision......i'm sure youll understand what i mean after youve seen both. Expand
  5. RyanP
    May 12, 2008
    Excellent movie. There aren't that many dramas which explore the TRUE meaning of the martial arts. I appreciate this since I'm a martial arts student myself.
  6. AustinW.
    May 3, 2008
    This movie was one of the weirdest movies I've seen in a long time, and not intentionally. It's basically The Spanish Prisoner meets Never Back Down. It's got giant plot holes (to the point where things don't make sense) but the scenes of brilliance make i t worth it. Ejiofor is outstanding.

Mamet is on his game, and that is a sight to see. No con.
  2. As the heart and soul of the film, Chiwetel Ejiofor once again impresses.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    An absorbing and colorful, if not particularly convincing, excursion into a demi-monde of fighters, scammers, promoters and self-styled modern samurai, Redbelt gives the impression of Mamet coyly toying with the idea of making a populist little-man-against-the-system sports melodrama without actually attempting to create a film for the masses.