Reign Over Me

8.8

1. Brentoni
    Nov 3, 2007
    Slow and not as touching as the subject matter would suggest it to be. Adam Sandler's talent is on full display though.
  2. MitchM.
    Jan 2, 2008
    I plead guilty to having an adverse reaction to anything Adam Sandler is in. That being admitted up front, sitting through this was still a slow torture. I recognize the good intentions and considerable talents that were part of the production, but it never achieved the well-deserved catharsis of a great tragedy, and even fell into that hollywood cliche of portraying madness as an exalted I plead guilty to having an adverse reaction to anything Adam Sandler is in. That being admitted up front, sitting through this was still a slow torture. I recognize the good intentions and considerable talents that were part of the production, but it never achieved the well-deserved catharsis of a great tragedy, and even fell into that hollywood cliche of portraying madness as an exalted and "special" state of awareness, by matchmaking Sandler and the psycho woman at the end and wrapping a neat little pink bow around it to suggest that they would be a great couple because of their cumulative madness. Expand
  3. MichaelR.
    Oct 10, 2007
    I Think Adam Sandler is a good actor, but he has had some really bad roles. This his best one since Punch Drunk Love.
  4. PatrickC.
    May 8, 2007
    Don Cheadle is solid. The script holds strong throughout the film and Sandler isn't awful. But the terrible thing about this film is the fact that the movie is trying to make money off of 9/11. It is awful that they believed they could make money off of making people feel bad. Everything about the film screams "Like me because I'm about 9/11". The movie would have been a smart, Don Cheadle is solid. The script holds strong throughout the film and Sandler isn't awful. But the terrible thing about this film is the fact that the movie is trying to make money off of 9/11. It is awful that they believed they could make money off of making people feel bad. Everything about the film screams "Like me because I'm about 9/11". The movie would have been a smart, solid addition to a year of good films. Instead it was a silly movie that made me angry. Expand
  5. KeithJ.
    Dec 1, 2007
    I really enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the movie, and then it got sloppy. I like the actors. But to me, the 9/11 aspect felt a bit random (I am not sure why it's important in the story that a personal tragedy took place on 9/11), and the ending felt sloppy.

1. It doesn't exploit our emotions about Sept. 11; it simply tells a story that exists because of what happened that day -- one that should resonate with a wide, appreciative audience.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Sandler (never making a false step while maneuvering though vertiginous mood swings) and Cheadle (deftly commingling instinctive decency with quiet desperation) are individually excellent, and bring out the best in each other. And the picture itself transcends its real but relatively minor flaws to score a satisfyingly potent impact.
    That is an unusually gloomy proposition not just for a studio movie but for a society that, despite the acts and sites of official commemoration, must find good cause to forge ahead from catastrophe. Reign Over Me closes with, at best, a cautious hope, leaving us more anxious than when we went in, and throughout the film there is a stunned and bewildered air hanging over the city, like a heavy smog.