Reign Over Me

8.9

1. Jun 25, 2015
    This is a change of pace for Adam Sandler. He puts in a serious effort in this one as a tragedy forces him to try to cope. Don Cheadle is always great and he only adds to the emotion felt in this. The plot is well-thought-out and it is executed well.
  2. May 31, 2015
    Reign Over Me: "Let in the unexpected." In this very good movie, two former college roommates find each other and begin a powerful journey of finding themselves. Adam Sandler's acting is impressive in this role as a widower who lost his family on 9/11.
  3. Apr 10, 2015
    Reign Over Me is a great buddy drama with a little light hearted humour here and there. Adam Sandler in a drama film does not really sound that appetizing to most people and I can understand that, but Sandler manages to surprise me. His portrayal of Charlie Fineman is one of the most excellent roles he has done and sadly it will likely go down as one of his least known. Sandler's characterReign Over Me is a great buddy drama with a little light hearted humour here and there. Adam Sandler in a drama film does not really sound that appetizing to most people and I can understand that, but Sandler manages to surprise me. His portrayal of Charlie Fineman is one of the most excellent roles he has done and sadly it will likely go down as one of his least known. Sandler's character has so much complexity and his performance is strong enough to anchor the movie. I think he out did Don Cheadle who is obviously a talented man himself. Another thing I liked about this film is that even though Charlie Fineman's family was killed on 9/11 they did not really devote much attention to the fact that it was 9/11 and it didn't take over the movie. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2014
    Adam Sandler gives a heartbreaking performance as a man who has lost everything in his life. It's such a shame that he was not nominated for an Oscar.
  5. Mar 13, 2012
    A fantastic movie that's also an eye opener and emotionally moving, Sandler and Cheadle both gave fantastic performances, I recommend Sandler fans watching so they can see Sandler's more serious side, the characters are extremely likable and the movie is incredibly well written, I highly recommend watching, although not one for younger audiences, it's got nice touches of humor sprinkledA fantastic movie that's also an eye opener and emotionally moving, Sandler and Cheadle both gave fantastic performances, I recommend Sandler fans watching so they can see Sandler's more serious side, the characters are extremely likable and the movie is incredibly well written, I highly recommend watching, although not one for younger audiences, it's got nice touches of humor sprinkled throughout, and the friendship between Sandler's and Cheadle's characters is 100% believable, I don't typically watch these kinds of movies, but I'm a huge Sandler fan and I was very happy with this movie, I highly recommend. Expand
  6. Nov 15, 2011
    A deep, compelling drama that might not interest many but delivers satisfaction if you stay tuned 'till the end. Not used to seeing Adam Sandler in a different pair of shoes which might keep you in zone seeing something so.. odd.
  7. GlennP.
    Aug 26, 2008
    Sandler surprised me, because I laughed not at the outrageousness of the few comedic bits but at the genuine irony of the fun Charlie and Johnson were having in the midst of such profound grief. I really enjoyed this movie. Viewer should be forewarned that the R rating is deserved, so this is not a film for kids at all.
  8. ThomasP.
    Jul 30, 2008
    Loved the movie, Adam Sandler was great for a change, Cheadle was as convincing as always. Great soundtrack.
  9. JonR.
    Jun 2, 2008
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Its is a little strung out, but I still thought it was excellent.
  10. AlexD.
    May 25, 2008
    I just read some of the other reviews and comments, and I must say the negative ones surprise me. I also disagree with them, of course. That is to say, I will admit that the "happy" ending seemed a bit too easy, and Liv Tyler's psychiatrist didn't feel very realistic at times. But those are minor blemishes on an otherwise superb emotional story. Many people seem to think of Adam I just read some of the other reviews and comments, and I must say the negative ones surprise me. I also disagree with them, of course. That is to say, I will admit that the "happy" ending seemed a bit too easy, and Liv Tyler's psychiatrist didn't feel very realistic at times. But those are minor blemishes on an otherwise superb emotional story. Many people seem to think of Adam Sandler as a less than serious comedy actor being cast against character. After Punch Drunk Love, and after seeing Jim Carrey basically doing the same thing (very successfully), I was less surprised. What puzzles me more is why he isn't currently in possession of two Oscars, and perhaps a nomination for the Wedding Singer. Yes, I love Adam Sandler. Another thing that seems to bother people about this movie is its treatment of 9/11. I don't get that. This is a movie about New Yorkers, and surely 9/11 is a part of every New Yorker's life. I would be a lot more surprised if there weren't any stories about people's experiences and loss, or if it were only mentioned in movies that deal specifically with the attacks. This is a story about a man who suffered a great loss, which years later still affects him deeply. That seems right to me. Like I said before, there are a few minor points that I didn't totally agree with. For all his suffering, Charlie seems to be somewhat less than credibly blessed with a psychiatrist who goes way above and beyond the call of duty, a beautiful (if disturbed) woman who seems to find mental problems and men who completely ignore her irresistible, and an apartment that's larger than the White House. I guess I'm just jealous that those things never happen to me. But hey, nothing wrong with some escapism in the movies. Expand
  11. JasonE.
    Apr 5, 2008
    I honestly cannot understand why critics have been so mediocre towards this movie. It is possibly the most real, human drama I've seen in a very long. Every single actor in this movie is brilliant, and the writing is honest and natural. Far better than the standard overdramatic drivel you'll find critics praising much more readily.
  12. TonyB.
    Dec 17, 2007
    I kept hoping they wouldn't tie things up neatly at the end, and they didn't. Don Cheadle turns in another excellent performance, Adam Sandler is a revelation and the supporting cast is fine.
  13. ScottC.
    Dec 6, 2007
    An amazing movie that can only truly be understood by the people of New York.
  14. StephaneM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Terrific performance of the actors. I don't understand the critics who rated this that low. The 2 hours just passed by.
  15. JaredC.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Don Cheadle, Adam Sandler, good work. Mike Binder, excellent work. I haven't seen any better. The performances are amazing, the writing directing, there is not one single thing wrong about it.
  16. RachelH.
    Jun 29, 2007
    I have watched this movie four times. It is the best movie I have seen this year. It is such a moving story of a mans loss, withdrawing into despair and seeing the ghosts of loved ones, never to return. Adam Sandler is brilliant, and all the other actors. This movie should be nominated for an Oscar for 2007.
  17. BitBurn
    Jun 28, 2007
    Thanks to Cheadle and Sandler the movie was very good (meaning well acted) although the script was slightly weak.
  18. CampbellL.
    Jun 22, 2007
    This film absolutely fascinates me, mainly because of Sandler's character. This film does not attempt exploit our feelings on 911, Charlie lost his entire family in a horrific event but the storyline could have been more or less the same no matter the cause of the tragedy. It manages to be maturely amusing and sad at the same time, "That's how f***ed up I still am; look at a This film absolutely fascinates me, mainly because of Sandler's character. This film does not attempt exploit our feelings on 911, Charlie lost his entire family in a horrific event but the storyline could have been more or less the same no matter the cause of the tragedy. It manages to be maturely amusing and sad at the same time, "That's how f***ed up I still am; look at a German Shepard and see a goddamn poodle!!" Sandler did a truly epic job in this film, he succeeded where actors like Brad Pitt were too scared to go. The soundtrack was equily as good with Vedder's cover of "Love, Reign O'er me" playing over the credits. Expand
  19. KevinK.
    May 16, 2007
    I thought this was a wonderful film about honest friendship and about the people we often try most to help, end up helping us. I love that and I always seem to forget it. This film reminds us all about that truth!
  20. HC
    Apr 27, 2007
    Adam Sandler was so believably screwed-up in this movie. When he finally talked about his family, I sat in the theater with tears streaming down my face, thinking about the people who really lost their families in those planes. I LOVED this movie and adore Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. I don't think Jada and Liv had strong enough roles, and I hate that they felt they had to stick in Adam Sandler was so believably screwed-up in this movie. When he finally talked about his family, I sat in the theater with tears streaming down my face, thinking about the people who really lost their families in those planes. I LOVED this movie and adore Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle. I don't think Jada and Liv had strong enough roles, and I hate that they felt they had to stick in a sappy happy ending...although you find yourself relieved that the poor guy's luck was turning around. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. Expand
  21. KennyD.
    Apr 11, 2007
    Great performances by Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle...(as always by these two actors)...one of the best movies I have ever seen!
  22. ShawnC.
    Apr 6, 2007
    This is a terrific little film, at once heartbreaking and funny as hell in parts. Sandler is astonishing; Cheadle, of course, always is great.
  23. MarieC.
    Apr 4, 2007
    It made me laugh, it made me cry. I wish they would make more movies with good scripts with interesting characters and superb acting such as this one. Please keep them coming. We can not live on fluffy comedies or bad horror films alone.
  24. Ellie
    Mar 31, 2007
    One of the best movies of 2007 thus far. Suprisingly delightful, humorous, moving and realistic performances from newly dramatic actor Adam Sandlar and ocscar nominated actor Don Cheadle. The movie is truly a masterpiece with solid and unforgettable performances from every angle. It has a excellent storytelling soundtrack featuring Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, and The Who. The New York One of the best movies of 2007 thus far. Suprisingly delightful, humorous, moving and realistic performances from newly dramatic actor Adam Sandlar and ocscar nominated actor Don Cheadle. The movie is truly a masterpiece with solid and unforgettable performances from every angle. It has a excellent storytelling soundtrack featuring Bruce Springsteen, Bob Seger, and The Who. The New York setting is absolutely appropriate for what is one of the most fascinating, unpredictable and moving stories in recent memory. Side performances from actresses Jada Pinkett Smith and Liv Tyler are unique and well-casted. Seeing Tyler as a optimistic therapist is both funny and well-done. Taking the audiance into the mind of a man suffering from post-tramatic stress was beyond facinating but 100% gripping. I found the movie to be a delightful and stunning, unforgettable motion picture event that is a theatrical must-see. A. Expand
  25. ReelWorld
    Mar 30, 2007
    Great film. Terrific performances by Cheadle and especially Sandler. Despite the premise of the character losing his family in 9/11 - the film does not dwell on the issue. I have read reviews where people are bashing the film since it is a reminder to people of that day, but quite honestly, people who have that mindset are the ones who also probably think that any image of the WTC should Great film. Terrific performances by Cheadle and especially Sandler. Despite the premise of the character losing his family in 9/11 - the film does not dwell on the issue. I have read reviews where people are bashing the film since it is a reminder to people of that day, but quite honestly, people who have that mindset are the ones who also probably think that any image of the WTC should be banned from ever appearing again. That being said - this film is amazing. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll for sure be shocked by Sandler's performance which is miles beyond anything he's done since Punch Drunk Love. Highly recommended. Don't listen to the reviews who trash the film because of the 9/11 plotline. Sure it was a horrible day - but it's in the past and those who survived it owe it to the victims to go on with their lives and cherish the memory of the day - not live in denial or neverending grief over it. Expand
  26. MollyJ.
    Mar 29, 2007
    I loved it. It made me laugh and cry. The characters were crafted so well. Both lead performaces were superb. I hope Adam Sandler is remembered during Oscar Season.
  27. BrianK.
    Mar 26, 2007
    See this movie, but when you do bring a box of tissues, this movie has quite a few tear jerking scenes, it is very well done,funny at times, heart breaking atimes, and always inspiring. Sandler and Cheadle have great chemistry and Sandler should definitely at least receive Oscar consideration for his role as an eccentric, free spirited 9/11 victim living in denial, who fights each day to See this movie, but when you do bring a box of tissues, this movie has quite a few tear jerking scenes, it is very well done,funny at times, heart breaking atimes, and always inspiring. Sandler and Cheadle have great chemistry and Sandler should definitely at least receive Oscar consideration for his role as an eccentric, free spirited 9/11 victim living in denial, who fights each day to hold on to a memory he doesn't want to remember. Interestingly enough this movie is a great promotion tool for the PS2 game shadow of the collossus , now I find myself really wanting to play that game something awful! Expand
  28. Jonah
    Mar 25, 2007
    Don Cheadle shows his versatility by being the supportive leading man and Adam Sandler, like he did in Punchdrunk Love, proves he's capable of being extremely and authentically weird in a thoughtful and often amusing way. This film has moments of wonderful writing.
  29. LouiseM.
    Mar 24, 2007
    Adam Sandler deserves an Oscar for this role.....movie seemed a little too long but it had good character development.
  30. BillyS.
    Mar 23, 2007
    The opening sequence of Reign Over Me is a man riding a scooter through the streets of New York set to Grahm Nash's "Simple Man". It's a great opening that unfortunately sums up the whole movie about a man who has suffered unimaginable loss and deals with an unrepairable broken heart by simply living in a world of his own creation and denying the reality of his life. The promise The opening sequence of Reign Over Me is a man riding a scooter through the streets of New York set to Grahm Nash's "Simple Man". It's a great opening that unfortunately sums up the whole movie about a man who has suffered unimaginable loss and deals with an unrepairable broken heart by simply living in a world of his own creation and denying the reality of his life. The promise Adam Sandler showed in Punch Drunk Love is fully realized in a remarkably stunning dramatic performance that will have other a-list actors drooling over. Don Cheadle as his college roomate and the link to his reality is, as always, outstanding and the two actors have a natural chemistry between them, but the story pulls back on several key scenes that could have been emotionally wrenching in order to play out without a satisfying climax. With Sandler, Cheadle and a soundtrack to die for, Reign Over Me should have been a 10 but it turns out to be a strong 7. Expand
  31. RanO.
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perfect buddy film. Lots of fun and great drama combined.
  32. Gina
    Mar 19, 2007
    If you want to go to the movies any time this year, see this film. For me, even though it is just March, I do not remember loving a movie so much. It makes Pursuit of Happyness look like Gigli. Not sappy, just real, heartfelt and unforgettable.
  33. TyroneMovieman
    Mar 19, 2007
    By far the best drama to be released thus far in 2006. 300, Breach and Zodiac, despite the versatile differences between all three, do not top this masterpiece. I loved every laughing-crying-aspect of it. It was stunning and unforgettable. See it now.
    Mar 19, 2007
    It is hard to say who delivers a better performance because both sides of the equation show tremendous potential early on in oscar season. A must-see moving masterpiece not to be missed. I did not like the ending at all and that brought the movie down for me but I Highly recommend it. The screening I saw was wonderful.
  35. VeraA.
    Mar 19, 2007
    One of the most uplifiting and insperational must-see films of all time. You will laugh, you will cry, and if you your lucky your life just might be changed. This movie is monumental in every single way. It is wonderful in all its performances. Don Cheadle, star of Hotel Rwanda, delievers what could be called one of the greatest african american celebrations of culture in the history of One of the most uplifiting and insperational must-see films of all time. You will laugh, you will cry, and if you your lucky your life just might be changed. This movie is monumental in every single way. It is wonderful in all its performances. Don Cheadle, star of Hotel Rwanda, delievers what could be called one of the greatest african american celebrations of culture in the history of cinima. Adam Sandler delievers a equally wonderful farting riot of brilliance. Expand

1. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    It doesn't exploit our emotions about Sept. 11; it simply tells a story that exists because of what happened that day -- one that should resonate with a wide, appreciative audience.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Sandler (never making a false step while maneuvering though vertiginous mood swings) and Cheadle (deftly commingling instinctive decency with quiet desperation) are individually excellent, and bring out the best in each other. And the picture itself transcends its real but relatively minor flaws to score a satisfyingly potent impact.
    That is an unusually gloomy proposition not just for a studio movie but for a society that, despite the acts and sites of official commemoration, must find good cause to forge ahead from catastrophe. Reign Over Me closes with, at best, a cautious hope, leaving us more anxious than when we went in, and throughout the film there is a stunned and bewildered air hanging over the city, like a heavy smog.