8.5

1. Apr 10, 2015
    Reign Over Me is a great buddy drama with a little light hearted humour here and there. Adam Sandler in a drama film does not really sound that appetizing to most people and I can understand that, but Sandler manages to surprise me. His portrayal of Charlie Fineman is one of the most excellent roles he has done and sadly it will likely go down as one of his least known. Sandler's characterReign Over Me is a great buddy drama with a little light hearted humour here and there. Adam Sandler in a drama film does not really sound that appetizing to most people and I can understand that, but Sandler manages to surprise me. His portrayal of Charlie Fineman is one of the most excellent roles he has done and sadly it will likely go down as one of his least known. Sandler's character has so much complexity and his performance is strong enough to anchor the movie. I think he out did Don Cheadle who is obviously a talented man himself. Another thing I liked about this film is that even though Charlie Fineman's family was killed on 9/11 they did not really devote much attention to the fact that it was 9/11 and it didn't take over the movie. Expand
  2. Mar 1, 2014
    Adam Sandler gives a heartbreaking performance as a man who has lost everything in his life. It's such a shame that he was not nominated for an Oscar.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    A fantastic movie that's also an eye opener and emotionally moving, Sandler and Cheadle both gave fantastic performances, I recommend Sandler fans watching so they can see Sandler's more serious side, the characters are extremely likable and the movie is incredibly well written, I highly recommend watching, although not one for younger audiences, it's got nice touches of humor sprinkledA fantastic movie that's also an eye opener and emotionally moving, Sandler and Cheadle both gave fantastic performances, I recommend Sandler fans watching so they can see Sandler's more serious side, the characters are extremely likable and the movie is incredibly well written, I highly recommend watching, although not one for younger audiences, it's got nice touches of humor sprinkled throughout, and the friendship between Sandler's and Cheadle's characters is 100% believable, I don't typically watch these kinds of movies, but I'm a huge Sandler fan and I was very happy with this movie, I highly recommend. Collapse
  4. Nov 15, 2011
    A deep, compelling drama that might not interest many but delivers satisfaction if you stay tuned 'till the end. Not used to seeing Adam Sandler in a different pair of shoes which might keep you in zone seeing something so.. odd.

1. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    It doesn't exploit our emotions about Sept. 11; it simply tells a story that exists because of what happened that day -- one that should resonate with a wide, appreciative audience.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Sandler (never making a false step while maneuvering though vertiginous mood swings) and Cheadle (deftly commingling instinctive decency with quiet desperation) are individually excellent, and bring out the best in each other. And the picture itself transcends its real but relatively minor flaws to score a satisfyingly potent impact.
    That is an unusually gloomy proposition not just for a studio movie but for a society that, despite the acts and sites of official commemoration, must find good cause to forge ahead from catastrophe. Reign Over Me closes with, at best, a cautious hope, leaving us more anxious than when we went in, and throughout the film there is a stunned and bewildered air hanging over the city, like a heavy smog.