Lionsgate | Release Date: October 3, 2008
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 180 Ratings
Watch Now
RastaselassieJan 16, 2014
At first, Maher had the chance to create a very good documentary, but as I continued watching, it turned out to be a wasted opportunity for him. Has dosen't even understand the basic components, about the things he is working with, and whenAt first, Maher had the chance to create a very good documentary, but as I continued watching, it turned out to be a wasted opportunity for him. Has dosen't even understand the basic components, about the things he is working with, and when this is exposed, he lies and mocks. He tries only to mock organized faith, to earn money, and he is as unserious as one he can be. His meetings with the involved people, shows that he has no idea what is going on, and deliberately removes arguments against him, from the documentary.
To all that thinks that Jesus is a copy of Horus, and all the other things he says, seriously, check it out for yourself, believing it without checking, only makes you dumb, not the people depicted in the documentary.
harri49Aug 30, 2014
Critisism of origin of Jesus (comparing to Horus) does not have proofs, no sources and references. Just telling again same stories we already used to see in Z-movie. Just another populist.
TimS.Oct 1, 2008
The movie focuses too much on the fringe rather than looking at the mainstream.
1 of 3 users found this helpful
joshfAug 10, 2009
This movie is unfortunate. it was mildly entertaining and i like bill maher, as well as religious debates, so i gave it a 3. i am liberal and love michael moore movies, but this movie was done in bad taste. micael moore far outdoes bill This movie is unfortunate. it was mildly entertaining and i like bill maher, as well as religious debates, so i gave it a 3. i am liberal and love michael moore movies, but this movie was done in bad taste. micael moore far outdoes bill majer in every aspect. bill maher's interviews were spineless attacks on people that were not intellectually strong in their beliefs (which is sad, don't get me wrong), i don't think bill maher would be able to come off as such a "winner" if he were arguing with religious intellectuals. the ending was also pretty dumb. i prefer documentaries to reveal facts and figures and let the viewers decide for themselves what they are going to believe, but instead, bill maher tells his viewers what to believe. it seems like a cheap ploy and I'm disappointed. Expand
1 of 4 users found this helpful
WilliamJ.Oct 5, 2008
Totally Worthless.
KenD.Oct 3, 2008
Wanted to see if it could possible as bad as the trailer looks? It is! Stay away at all cost. What a waste of time. Who cares what Mayer thinks anyway? Turkey of the year, if not a life time.
MikeGOct 5, 2008
another "democrat documentry" in keeping with gore and moore, where the ONLY facts that matter are what THEY can use for their point of view. ever since there has been religion, there have been those who deny(5-10%), Maher is doing nothing another "democrat documentry" in keeping with gore and moore, where the ONLY facts that matter are what THEY can use for their point of view. ever since there has been religion, there have been those who deny(5-10%), Maher is doing nothing new and really, looks as stupid as he does in his show, in this movie. I feel better, because I oppose maher on every issue and he's proving me right with this garbage. Expand
MarcJun 4, 2009
B Bill Mahr continues to be as insulting as possible. I would enjoy him more if he would stop looking down on and alienating others.
JohnBOct 7, 2008
I expected more. Most of the people Bill chose to discuss matters with were unprepared laypeople. And the majority of the balance were clearly chosen for their novelty rather than theological insight. I was hoping for something more I expected more. Most of the people Bill chose to discuss matters with were unprepared laypeople. And the majority of the balance were clearly chosen for their novelty rather than theological insight. I was hoping for something more intelligent, thoughtful and legitimately subversive. But instead we got Bil Maher playing "gotcha" with a thinly sliced cross-section of fundamentalists. The net result is that Maher comes across as ill-informed as the very people he's interviewing, only exponentially more arrogant. I kept waiting for something to redeem this film - I really wanted to like it as I'm a big fan of Maher's TV work. But, like a doomsday cult's alien mothership, the intelligent discourse I'd prayed for never arrived. Expand
charliepApr 29, 2009
The potential of this film was great, a comedian taken a funny look at world religion, taking his questions to the people that care to talk about their religion. The man presenting this documentry (I think they say his name is Bill Maher, I The potential of this film was great, a comedian taken a funny look at world religion, taking his questions to the people that care to talk about their religion. The man presenting this documentry (I think they say his name is Bill Maher, I suggest you forget it again very quickly) goes to many different interesting people, in far out places to ask them not so far out religious questions. After almost every question that he asks throughout the film, he doesn't let one person finish what they have to say and with a smile on his face and laughing says "you're obviously crazy". You can tell when he talks, that his only interest is to set himself up for a cheap joke that religion is "crazy" and that the person he is talking to is "nuts". This man has possibly the most over inflated perception of himself, even his own mother appeared to look on in disbelief of him. He has no timing, he has no class, there is no humour, there is no irony in anything he is saying, there is no sarcasm, he is purely insulting and it shows in the eyes of most of those people he interviews ..... "who is this pr**k?" The difference is that they aren't insulting or rude enough to say it and the reason for this is probably because whatever religion it is that they believe in, they have at least got from it morals and human decency. Sure watch the film, I wouldn't dream of telling someone else what to do or what they are because of their views. I would suggest to watch a borrowed copy of the film as I don't think this man deserves any kind of living out of making such a lame film. In case you are wondering, my ranting is not because I am a deeply religious man, because I'm not. My ranting is because I can't believe that a man like this, is allowed to make such a terrible movie and paid for it. He will get media coverage, TV appearances and with all this he will probably get paid very well. It can only be nepotism, the man is useless ****. I have signed up to the New York Times website purely to denounce this movie and I will move on to the next website to do the same. Never have seen anything so poor. Expand
michaelm.Oct 14, 2008
Mean spirited and contrived, Maher is simply not a very talented anything, least ways a director.
MichaelKDec 13, 2008
Terribly bad!!! "Religulos" draws cheap laughs and that is about it. I wouldn't recommend this one.
Smash_RedRyuSep 6, 2016
I can't in good conscious give this movie a positive review. It was funny at points and it brought up some discussion but in the end it wasn't funny when he was rude to some people he was interviewing and kept being it back to really beingI can't in good conscious give this movie a positive review. It was funny at points and it brought up some discussion but in the end it wasn't funny when he was rude to some people he was interviewing and kept being it back to really being awful to some people.

I like the idea of tackling fundamentalism, that should be challenged and looked at. Some people in this weren't even fundamentalist on their beliefs and ideals, rather he used it as an additional mocking point.

The quick editing was off putting and taking me out of the movie at points when people are cut off and we go right away to the next point of the movie.

The user reviews for this also make it clear really why it is as high as it is,

1) It was funny,

I'll admit I got some laughs out of this movie even myself. There were points I found to be funny.

2) Because this movie is preaching to the choir.

This movie is made to make people who are Atheist or Agnostic and want to mock other people who think otherwise. In combination of the ending which shows bombs exploding with images of people praying shows that there is also a level of fundamentalism even in this film.

This movie only serves this demographic and really no one else. This movie isn't as hateful as something like God's Not Dead or some other religious films I've recently seen, but this is just as bad as those movies for preaching to the Choir.

Have good sense to understand and respect others, this movie and a lot of the positive reviews clearly don't.
MondayQBJan 2, 2017
Maher is witty and calls out some some "taken to the extreme" points, but he fails to use rigorous logic to make his case. Not worth the time to watch. Opinions are fine if supoorted by facts and logic. Maher fails on both counts.