Religulous

7.6

1. Mar 16, 2014
    As Bill Maher himself says, he's not selling certainty, he's preaching the Gospel of I Don't Know. He sure does it in an entertaining way, however, touring the country and the world to meet some of the most ludicrous examples of religious people behaving badly the moviegoing public has ever seen. Not a journalistic expose like, say, the HBO doc Friends of God, this is more in the weirdAs Bill Maher himself says, he's not selling certainty, he's preaching the Gospel of I Don't Know. He sure does it in an entertaining way, however, touring the country and the world to meet some of the most ludicrous examples of religious people behaving badly the moviegoing public has ever seen. Not a journalistic expose like, say, the HBO doc Friends of God, this is more in the weird fact-based entertainment niche that Jon Stewart and Maher himself have popularized.

Interview subjects range from truck drivers to weed worshippers, the reincarnated Jesus Christ (one of them, anyway), a British Muslim rapper, and one of the Jews who patronized the Holocaust Denial conference. And so many more. Even Maher's mother stops in to talk about the religious component of his upbringing. It's reassuring to learn that some subjects (like a profiteering preacher and an anti-gay activist who seems awfully gay) experienced real scrutiny and losses after having their idiocy exposed on screen. Conversely, it's rather sad that Ken Ham's monstrosity of a museum is still going. It's a very Michael Moore style process where subjects are surprised (perhaps unfairly), but allowed to speak in their own words in response to common sense questions. They generally make fools out of themselves while doing so.

It's certainly an attack piece and while there are many truths here, they are selected somewhat arbitrarily. Christians, for example are shown not just as nutjobs but also in the guise of seemingly reasonable people such as a borderline atheist priest and a Catholic astronomer who believes that dogma doesn't trump science. Muslims don't get that privilege as Maher relentlessly rails on their xenophobia, violent rhetoric, and social conservativism. Neither do Jews, whose mainstream is omitted in favor of inventors trying to scam their god's Sabbath restrictions.

It is also odd that the film makes nary a mention of the Dharmic religions (Buddhism and Hinduism, among others), or of the numerous other religions of the world. A comparison of modern organized religions to animism, cults, and dead religions would have been quite informative (and probably fun).

The film jumps around oddly, following no clear narrative and going from lighthearted pranking to serious business without a blink. The ending is a bit abrupt, and prefaces the end of the world and makes a case for facing that possibility realistically. Nonetheless, taken as a whole, it's a film that taught me some pretty interesting things and definitely brings the laughs as well. Would that we had more discussions like this one.
  2. Jul 29, 2013
    This doc is insightful but not rude to the people who were interviewed. Loved how they didn't just go for cheap shot at religion they mostly cover real main stream people bout 75-25 split between mainstream and down right crazy Best part is when Bill meets the Muslim iron curtain of denial.
  3. Oct 23, 2010
    Since the only logical stance on any religious belief is Agnosticism I think Bill Maher nailed the point perfectly. Nobody has the answers! Everybody who believes they know what is right and will happen (philosophically) is totally deluded. This "documentary" simply points these facts out to the general populous... If you are deluded you will not like the movie. If you have an open mindSince the only logical stance on any religious belief is Agnosticism I think Bill Maher nailed the point perfectly. Nobody has the answers! Everybody who believes they know what is right and will happen (philosophically) is totally deluded. This "documentary" simply points these facts out to the general populous... If you are deluded you will not like the movie. If you have an open mind and are Agnostic most likely you will enjoy the film. If you are an Atheist you might like it as well. (By the way Atheists are just as committed to their beliefs as religolites (made up word lol)). This was a funny and thought provoking film (only if you have a mind and thoughts...which precludes people who let their thoughts be dictated to them by zealots).
    OK you must get my drift by now...
  4. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie is hilarious, Maher goes after the "lowest common denominator" in order to show just how far out there some religious enthusiasts are. Religious groups would never go after the weakest minded people in order to increase their numbers right? Give me a break. Its amusing to see all of the zeros and absurdly low scores this movie is receiving from users and critics. Obviously theyThis movie is hilarious, Maher goes after the "lowest common denominator" in order to show just how far out there some religious enthusiasts are. Religious groups would never go after the weakest minded people in order to increase their numbers right? Give me a break. Its amusing to see all of the zeros and absurdly low scores this movie is receiving from users and critics. Obviously they didn't even watch the movie and just know that it dares to question their beliefs and therefore is inherently evil and must die. The fact that the same critics and users gave movies like the House Bunny an 8 whilst giving this movie a 0 just proves their guilt. Expand
  5. May 8, 2015
    It's a terribly offensive, poor taste film that takes the piss out of religion in a pretty extreme and blatant way. But what did you expect, coming from the director of Borat? And what's not to like about it?

Religulous is what would happen if The Onion made a documentary about religion. It's so ridiculous in its own merit that it is absolutely hilarious. Bill Maher, the loveable a--hole who mocks religion flagrantly in its face, is the main voice in this film. His adventures take him across the globe, where he runs into many religious characters, ranging from reasonable people like Catholic Scientists who believe in evolution, to the crazier ones such as Ken Ham and young earth creationists. Maher also meets a Jewish inventor who invents ways to press a button on the sabbath without offending god, a Christian theme park in the middle of Florida, and a British Muslim rapper who busts rhymes about Jihad so ridiculous it could be considered satire. Maher shows no mercy when bombarding the religious with questions that are taboo or often avoided by them.
    This film is great, but don't take it too seriously. If you love films like Borat, you'll laugh at the quirkiness of this movie, but if you are a part of the Religious Right and weren't offended by Jesus Camp, stay away.
  6. WillY.
    Oct 4, 2008
    First, it's Maher (mah-er) not mayer. And it's not about whether or not religion is dumb, because it provides hope to thousands of thousands of people each day, but he's saying you should realize that they don't mean it literally. It's not what he thinks, it's what you should realize.
  7. TylerJ
    Oct 6, 2008
    Very good though Maher like always comes off as a smug smartass which will always turn people off. He makes a great point though about how when the people in power have these warped religious views that praise the end of days it kinda puts the world on course for the end of days.
  8. mrfun
    Oct 4, 2008
    Thanks for pointing out religion is just, well, dumb.
  9. MissyH.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Bill needs to SHUT UP sometimes! We GET IT!!! Otherwise, a very important film for the people who will never see it to actually see. A new twist on "preaching to the choir" Or not.
  10. AtticusX
    Oct 5, 2008
    Smart, provocative entertainment with a quick, relentless sense of humor. Maher's criticism of religion is earnest and well-deserved. Religulous will provide an overdue outlet for the frustration of non-religious folks who are tired of playing along.
  11. JohnofHanover
    Oct 5, 2008
    If Maher had sat down with some intelligent, mainstream Jewish / Christian / Muslim scholars and carried out a disciplined debate, as some critics seem to suggest he should have done, virtually nobody would have bothered to watch this film. It wouldn't be in theaters - it would be on PBS (which is not exactly the most popular TV channel). This film is a mockery of religion that I If Maher had sat down with some intelligent, mainstream Jewish / Christian / Muslim scholars and carried out a disciplined debate, as some critics seem to suggest he should have done, virtually nobody would have bothered to watch this film. It wouldn't be in theaters - it would be on PBS (which is not exactly the most popular TV channel). This film is a mockery of religion that I imagine will mainly be enjoyed by that small minority of Americans who consider themselves to be atheists or agnostics, and just want to have a laugh at the ridiculous extremes that religion leads to. If you're not part of that group, and you're looking for a serious examination of the world's religions, try reading some more books and don't look for the answers at your local independent theater. Expand
  12. DonnieD.
    Oct 1, 2008
    Maher not only pokes fun at religion, he butchers it with a machete and stuffs it into a meat grinder like Peter Stormare in FARGO.
  13. John
    Oct 12, 2008
    Funny and profound - that is what people actually believe is amazing and how many people believe silly stuff is alarming. Maher does a good job here. It is very fair and respectful.
  14. TraciH.
    Oct 12, 2008
    All of the critic's assessments of the movie are fair, both good and bad. It is a VERY entertaining movie, Mahr brings up some very good points. This is a thoughtful and provocative film. How often does a movie actually clearly get across every message intended? That being said, Mahr's critiques are "sophomoric" as one critic put it, and there are a lot of moments where he was All of the critic's assessments of the movie are fair, both good and bad. It is a VERY entertaining movie, Mahr brings up some very good points. This is a thoughtful and provocative film. How often does a movie actually clearly get across every message intended? That being said, Mahr's critiques are "sophomoric" as one critic put it, and there are a lot of moments where he was quite rude and disrespectful to his interviewees, to the point that it made me uncomfortable. Go see it, though. It's the first time I have thought so much about a movie after it was over. Expand
  15. moondogg
    Oct 10, 2008
    Good times. With the archive clips providing some of the biggest laughs. Although more time could of been spent on some of the topics, and I felt that maher held back too much in some of the interviews. I must admit that I am the target audience.
  16. EricC.
    Oct 2, 2008
    He's not trying to disprove or ridicule faith, he's just questioning blind faith and trying to get people to ask simple questions about religion. That being said, I actually had a good time watching this, but it's nothing revelatory.
  17. WilsonG
    Oct 3, 2008
    Funny movie. Makes really good points on the lies that are the essence of Christianity.
  18. MmmDonuts
    Oct 3, 2008
    Great movie! Funny, smart, and really made you think. For the sake of the country, I wish all Americans could see this.
  19. Steve
    Oct 4, 2008
    It's a deliberately one-sided attack on the easiest of targets, but it's also consistently funny throughout. That's the most important thing.
  20. JalexD.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Admittedly, it does have it's moments of humour, but Maher's gross negligence of trying to sincerely understand these beliefs before skewing them makes the sole purpose of this film fall flat on it's face.
  21. ScotD.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Much better than expected. It's not just the drive-by jokes that make the film work. And it's not just Maher's exceedingly well-informed views on religious theory. But its the disarming way he unpacks his argument Religulous fun and compelling. Beware anti-rationalists!
  22. AppleK.
    Oct 4, 2008
    I won't review this film, much. Rather I will make some points others are not bringing up, it seems. 1) He has balls. To take ask questions and make a couple mild jokes in Jeruselum, attempting a logical argument "couldn't this holy stone have been a meteor?". I only respect him for risking his life, to raise such questions in other countries in this film, with much more "fluid" I won't review this film, much. Rather I will make some points others are not bringing up, it seems. 1) He has balls. To take ask questions and make a couple mild jokes in Jeruselum, attempting a logical argument "couldn't this holy stone have been a meteor?". I only respect him for risking his life, to raise such questions in other countries in this film, with much more "fluid" ideas of freedom of speech, especially about religion. Other than that, I was pleasantly surprised that he did grant many of his interviews a respect for them personally, while just raising provocative, important, and sometimes funny questions. This is a movie everyone should see, and hopefully be able to not take it as any sort of attack or bigotry. It is NOT. It is simply one intelligent comedian's, brave and uncompromising search for a real intelligent discourse on the final Taboo of Mankind. Expand
  23. BobK.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Very funny, but also scary at the end. I gave it a 9 only because so much more could have been said. Also, Bill's interviewing style, of constantly interrupting the interviewee, does a dis-service to the concept.
  24. SM
    Jan 5, 2009
    Most interesting thing about this movie for me is how people rated it on Metacritic: you see either a TEN or a ZERO!!! I guess zeros come from people who have "PURE FAITH" and felt offended by this movie.
  25. WV
    Feb 16, 2009
    I agree with Peanut S, but I'd put it this way: ZERO - People who beleive in fairy tales. TEN - People who live in reality. Some guy said Maher should of spoken to people more qualified in theology... first of all, they wouldn't speak to him, and secondly, why doesn't a religious monkey make a movie like that themselves, where they spin bull with some theologens about it I agree with Peanut S, but I'd put it this way: ZERO - People who beleive in fairy tales. TEN - People who live in reality. Some guy said Maher should of spoken to people more qualified in theology... first of all, they wouldn't speak to him, and secondly, why doesn't a religious monkey make a movie like that themselves, where they spin bull with some theologens about it all being true and lets see who in the world would give it a better rating than this movie. Wake up people. Religulous: 10 Expand
  26. mitchellt
    Jul 18, 2009
    Once you become an intelligent person and realise religion is completely disingenous and false, it becomes impossible to provide "insightful commentary" and "try to understand". If you want a clinical academic dissection of religion, read The God Delusion. If you want to be shown why religion is completely laughable and funny ("Ridiculous"), this is the one to watch. The funniest and most Once you become an intelligent person and realise religion is completely disingenous and false, it becomes impossible to provide "insightful commentary" and "try to understand". If you want a clinical academic dissection of religion, read The God Delusion. If you want to be shown why religion is completely laughable and funny ("Ridiculous"), this is the one to watch. The funniest and most outrageous film since Borat. Expand
  27. BillyS.
    Oct 10, 2008
    I happen to think this was one of the funniest "Democrat Documentry" I have ever seen because the people who label it that are the ones the movie focuses on. Carry on Bill, you doing George Carlin proud!!!
  28. KathleenC.
    Oct 11, 2008
    "Religlou"s is a hilarious, truth-telling movie that asks people to look at religion and ask reasonable questions. It also shows the similarities of different culture's myths. Most religious people don't know much about their own religions, they simply accept what they've been taught from childhood. I agree with Maher that religion has done more damage than good, and that "Religlou"s is a hilarious, truth-telling movie that asks people to look at religion and ask reasonable questions. It also shows the similarities of different culture's myths. Most religious people don't know much about their own religions, they simply accept what they've been taught from childhood. I agree with Maher that religion has done more damage than good, and that ethics and morality are not necessarily tied to religious beliefs, and are often diametrically opposed. Rationalists of the world, unite! Expand
  29. BillC.
    Oct 11, 2008
    There is a very vocal group of religious wacko's who hijacked the republican party over the past 20 years. They will hate this film.Others with a willingness to be open minded about the world , should find it interesting.
  30. GregoB
    Oct 10, 2008
    Got a lot of laughs all the way through. I doubt it'll change many minds on the subject. But it was fun to watch.
  31. TonyB.
    Oct 12, 2008
    Very funny....you will laugh. Well done. When I watched "Passion of Christ" the whole theater wept. When I watched this movie, there was an eruption of laughter, (except for an old tight lipped couple sitting behind me). But there is no holding back your laughter in this move.
  32. MariselaM
    Oct 13, 2008
    I loved it! It made me laugh from beginning to end.Thanks for this, Bill!
  33. TerriF.
    Nov 3, 2008
    Excellent! Wish this would play in mainstream theatres. This movie needs to be seen by everyone!
  34. AndyA.
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bill addresses most of the major religions. I am not much of a Bill Maher fan, but I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and funny this show was. Bill Maher amusingly addresses of some of the more perplexing conundrums we face in becoming a critical thinking adult.
  35. NathanR.
    Oct 13, 2008
    Awesome movie..a must see for every human being.
  36. MichaelT.
    Nov 5, 2008
    The people that he interviewed were great it was very interesting to see how people from different religions reacted to him.
  37. JohnDoe
    Nov 6, 2008
    Hit some real truths, whether the religious right wants to believe it or not.
  38. karenm.
    Oct 17, 2008
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Maher covered most of the major religions by asking challenging questions. The humor was in the people's responses. Very funny. Loved it. The audience clapped at the end.
  39. Enrique
    Oct 2, 2008
    Outreagously funny! A great, important documentary!
  40. KH
    Oct 3, 2008
    I am glad that this film was made esp since the less funny God Dilusion documentary from Richard Dawkins was not so widely received although EXTREMELY informative. Check it out.
  41. PH
    Oct 3, 2008
    Even though I give it a 10, this film gets about a 5 over all for one simple reason, some people are religious and others are not. The people that are undecided were either entertained or they were not. I think it's an interesting film, both in what it has to say and also in how people react to it.
  42. Mark
    Oct 3, 2008
    This is a wildly funny film that you'll enjoy regardless of your religious views. Tonight's sold-out suburban theater audience was laughing so hard they were gasping for breath several times. Religulous doesn't make fun of religion, it doesn't need to when it's already having so much fun lampooning pompous, hypocritical (and occasionally demented) human piety. This is a wildly funny film that you'll enjoy regardless of your religious views. Tonight's sold-out suburban theater audience was laughing so hard they were gasping for breath several times. Religulous doesn't make fun of religion, it doesn't need to when it's already having so much fun lampooning pompous, hypocritical (and occasionally demented) human piety. Those secure in their faith won't be offended in the slightest. We already bear daily witness to the foibles of man's ego but rarely do we have the joy of seeing pious hypocrisy illuminated and then deflated with such razor sharp, yet good-natured wit. Maher is a wise man bearing a lovely gift for the enlightened faithful in this heartfelt and timely film. Expand
  43. RogerS.
    Oct 8, 2008
    I was so glad to watch this movie. Bill is my God.
  44. xyzabc
    Sep 30, 2008
    A film like this has been a long time coming. Finally someone opening up a discussion of religion. Which it is NOT immune from, although everyone treats it as such. A masterful statement on the status of religion, the absurdity of its philosophy, ignorance of its proponents and danger of its practices.
  45. PeanutS
    Jan 26, 2009
    This movie is obviously a ZERO (religious followers) or a TEN (atheists). Yes, Maher interviewed a lot of commoners and that is part of the point. That these people believe in a God they don't fully understand so unequivocally because so many others do (The World Is Flat phenomenon). Millions of people easily led around out of fear. The latin 2nd coming of Jesus Christ having 100,000 This movie is obviously a ZERO (religious followers) or a TEN (atheists). Yes, Maher interviewed a lot of commoners and that is part of the point. That these people believe in a God they don't fully understand so unequivocally because so many others do (The World Is Flat phenomenon). Millions of people easily led around out of fear. The latin 2nd coming of Jesus Christ having 100,000 followers sums it up nicely. Expand
  46. SteveF
    Mar 16, 2009
    Religion is a joke...get with the times people.
  47. DanielZ
    Jun 19, 2009
    If you judge this movie as a comedy, it succeeds immensely. Maher's smugness and condescending attitude, combined with clever editing techniques, are key in garnering a truckload of hearty laughs from the viewer. However, its problems lie in the fact that it's blatantly and shamelessly biased towards a atheist perspective, which will no doubt alienate both believers and serious If you judge this movie as a comedy, it succeeds immensely. Maher's smugness and condescending attitude, combined with clever editing techniques, are key in garnering a truckload of hearty laughs from the viewer. However, its problems lie in the fact that it's blatantly and shamelessly biased towards a atheist perspective, which will no doubt alienate both believers and serious viewers. This is, in no way, an in-depth analysis on faith or organised religion because it's merely a vehicle for Maher's nonchalant take on Christianity, Judaism and Islam (he seems to think all other religions are minority groups). Maher's 'final thought' is that doubt itself is his religion, and should be everyone who possess an intelligent and inquisitive mind. Expand
  48. BillybobjoeBobob
    Oct 11, 2008
    See this movie now. It offers a brilliant message that is necessary for all people to see. Plus, it is hilarious and will have you laughing a plethora of times.
  49. JasonB.
    Oct 11, 2008
    The movie was hilarious at many points, and these weren't from Maher jokes, they were from the actual religious people speaking their minds. They weren't funny because they were "stupid," they were funny because they were candid. If you've seen "Real Time with Bill Maher" you understand Maher's humor and where he's coming from. If you've also read "god is not The movie was hilarious at many points, and these weren't from Maher jokes, they were from the actual religious people speaking their minds. They weren't funny because they were "stupid," they were funny because they were candid. If you've seen "Real Time with Bill Maher" you understand Maher's humor and where he's coming from. If you've also read "god is not Great" by Christopher Hitchens, you'll understand some of the arguments he's making (they are remarkably similar to those). I'd say it's not going to change any minds (since those who don't believe aren't planning to believe and those who believe don't really plan to stop) but it may at least give you a little bit of insight in to what the uncertain people think about religion. I have many of the same questions that Maher does about religion, and while his interviews were either poorly edited using multiple cameras or they were (obviously) cut to fit time constraints, there was never provided a straight answer. Perhaps when the DVD comes out, some of the interviews will be expanded and that can shine a little bit more light on the story. Expand
  50. GRob
    Oct 12, 2008
    This movie was so funny, there were times i could hardly breathe. I am a huge fan of Bill Maher, but i went will someone who is not a fan, who found the movie equally hilarious!
  51. Corey
    Oct 13, 2008
    This was an excellent outlook on religions impact of world events, and the contradictory nature of their believers.
  52. Andrew
    Oct 17, 2008
    Look at those 50 and belows... a lot of critics must have had their faiths challenged hehe.
  53. SentoroS.
    Oct 19, 2008
    I thought that the movie was a must-see for all people, religious or not. It is a biting commentary that needs to be seen to acknowledge the reality of the situation in the world, and it was presented beautifully.
  54. CraigS.
    Oct 21, 2008
    This is one of the most hysterical - and scathing - exposes on religion anywhere. If you are very religious, particularly Christian, you will probably walk out within the first five minutes. But for those who can not only tolerate - but relish - a good blasphemous romp, it's a movie you will want to see again and again! I took my kids and they insisted we see it a second time. And This is one of the most hysterical - and scathing - exposes on religion anywhere. If you are very religious, particularly Christian, you will probably walk out within the first five minutes. But for those who can not only tolerate - but relish - a good blasphemous romp, it's a movie you will want to see again and again! I took my kids and they insisted we see it a second time. And we're ready to go back again! It is just SO SO funny and full of comic surprises - not to mention a searing funeral for the mythical tradition of Christianity. One of my all-time favorite movies. I can't wait till it comes out on DVD. Unfortunately, it probably will not be out in time to make an ironic Christmas gift. Too bad! Expand
  55. CommandoDude
    Oct 25, 2008
    I've never laughed so hard in my life in a comedy. The reason this film probably got such low ratings was because critics tucked tail and ran like the religious Meher interviews as they try and find ways to get around the obvious contradictions he presents in their own faiths! Religion absolutely needs to be questioned, and people need to point out other's silly beliefs. The I've never laughed so hard in my life in a comedy. The reason this film probably got such low ratings was because critics tucked tail and ran like the religious Meher interviews as they try and find ways to get around the obvious contradictions he presents in their own faiths! Religion absolutely needs to be questioned, and people need to point out other's silly beliefs. The film ended with a very chilling look into a very possible reality if religious fundamentalists ever are able to get their hands on the weapons that will make their fabled armageddon's a reality. Expand
  56. Ron
    Oct 25, 2008
    The kind of questions that I have been asking for years and years. I was mesmerized by the film, both in the construct of the questions about religious superstitions and utterly primitive beliefs and practices and scared by the fundamentalist ideology that so many practitinoeers adhere to and spend their lives attempting to shove down the rest of our throats through guilt and dogma, not The kind of questions that I have been asking for years and years. I was mesmerized by the film, both in the construct of the questions about religious superstitions and utterly primitive beliefs and practices and scared by the fundamentalist ideology that so many practitinoeers adhere to and spend their lives attempting to shove down the rest of our throats through guilt and dogma, not to mention justification of warfare and death! Maher has hit this one out of the park and causes rational people to think at least for a moment of the sheer lunacy of religious belief systems that so rely on artificial and contrived premises along with prejudices, bigotry, hatred and delusion. I love this film and can watch over and over and each time maybe with someone who so believes in the fairy tales that in the end I can ask them- So, really. I mean really- makes alot of sense, huh? Expand
  57. JayH
    Feb 15, 2009
    Brilliant documentary, one of the best I have seen in years. Bill Maher does an outstanding job and he nails everything perfectly. It makes so many incredibly good points. Thought provoking and incredibly interesting.
  58. MichaE
    Feb 16, 2009
    "You don´t have to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate, though" was the best part. A man from the SENAT of the most important and influential country in the world said that:S. The sad ignorance of the people who were answering the questions worries me, a lot. Finally someone who brings out the differences between the time when religious books were written and when modern science has "You don´t have to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate, though" was the best part. A man from the SENAT of the most important and influential country in the world said that:S. The sad ignorance of the people who were answering the questions worries me, a lot. Finally someone who brings out the differences between the time when religious books were written and when modern science has improved, The film is all about questioning the faith of god. As an atheist from an eastern european country I can say, that some of the main points in any kind of faith should be re-looked and re-written, to be more like nowadays real life, so that there were less conflicts on faith! Expand
  59. joek.
    Jun 23, 2009
    This movie should be required viewing for all humans. If you find this movie insulting, then you are just the type of brainwashed moron this movie is criticizing. If you can really focus and comprehend what Maher is saying, then there is some hope for you.
  60. BarryD
    Dec 16, 2008
    Religulous is absolutely hilarious throughout, and it ends on a rather serious (and important) note. Bill Maher just hands the proverbial rope to several religious devotees, and they hang themselves well with their nutty beliefs/delusions. Skepticism and open criticism of religion & other wacky beliefs is a refreshing site in a feature film.
  61. Nov 12, 2014
    It does what it says on the tin (make you laugh), well unless if you:

- are religious
    - have no sense of humour-
    - don't like documentaries
    - don't like Bill Maher
    - are armish and have no medium to view this on
    - etc

p.s. This review isn't meant to be helpful.
  62. Jan 14, 2015
    Enjoyed this film quite a bit. A good vessel to promote self consciousness (or perhaps ego boost personal agnosticism). Maher's ever present combination of sarcasm and self righteousness allows for continual humor in the face of serious topics, which ultimately affect all humanity. Throw in a few extremists and a powerful ending, and Bill has himself a film!

1. By focusing so narrowly on religious fundamentalists and bigots while ignoring any spiritual dimension to religion, the film is not only being disingenuous but limits its audience to non-believers.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    To the film's credit, Maher never engages in Michael Moore-style gotcha tactics, but rather asks questions that raise more questions, in the form of a Socratic dialogue. To believers expecting a blind hatchet job, this will prove both thought-provoking and a bit disarming; skeptics may be surprised (as Maher is) by the occasionally smart replies to his queries.
    The problem with the movie, whose title compresses "religious" and "ridiculous" into a single word, isn't that it milks more than one sacred cow but that it does so with minimal subtlety and intelligence.