7.2

1. SM
    Aug 9, 2008
    AWESOME!!! One of the few movies in which every actor/actress did his/her BEST. Music tracks were perfect. And after all, the story was fairly close to the truth.
  2. JohnathanC.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Speaks of the truth... Daring.
  3. Maurice
    Excellent political thriller.
  4. RogerC.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Very moving and extremely important!
  5. ApocalypseBrown
    Oct 20, 2007
    Not the best film ever, but a very interesting concept of America savage tactics against the so-called 'war on terror', on largely innocent people. Witherspoon has really matured into a fine actor, pity Jake G has gone backwards since Donnie Darko. Very engaging watch for the most part, maybe Hollywood can sense the people are tired of false propaganda!
  6. HelenaJ.
    Feb 6, 2008
    Extremely disturbing and important movie! Though reality outdoes the fiction as usual this was strong enough!
  7. ZeeM
    Mar 20, 2008
    An Incredibly Strong Movie, Heart Pounding and keeps you in your seat for the whole movie, I had to go to the washroom at the theatre about 10 minutes into the movie but I stayed and watched glued to my seat knowing what will happen next.
  8. AibarA.
    Jul 1, 2008
    True...everything felt so true..n at some level it probably was...Many lives have been destroyed by this process of extraordinary rendition...the misuse of the law has made many innocent suffer...Brilliant piece of work...outstanding acting.
  9. JimS.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Nothing wrong with it... did what it wanted to do adequately, and it was a good point making exercise. Would like to know their sources for the plot.
  10. Enrique
    Oct 17, 2007
    Brilliant political thriller about another inconvenient truth that middle American have chosen not to believe.
  11. Kurt
    Oct 18, 2007
    I really enjoyed, don't see what all the dissing is about.
  12. RexPayne
    Oct 18, 2007
    I am not a big fan of movie critics. For the most part, I feel they are biased and use their clout to sulley even the best movies, etc. Theirs is a power trip and shouldn't be paid heed to. See the movie and judge for yourself.
  13. JohnD.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Great movie.
  14. joelr
    Dec 8, 2008
    Good movie. slow paced, but sometimes you have to do that to build a story. i'd guess that this movie was hated by bush apologists, but hey, that 8 years of torture is almost over.
  15. RobertI.
    Feb 10, 2008
    A nail-biter, though not from questions about the plot, but from the recognition of a world we only partially know.
  16. JayH.
    Feb 14, 2008
    Well made thriller but not completely convincing. Good performance from Meryl Streep, Jake Gyllenhaal is miscast but he tries. Compelling and always watchable.
  17. MelancholicAlcoholic
    Apr 26, 2008
    Throughout the movie I was thinking, it's nice that they give the torturer a background, but it's kinda not central to a movie called "Rendition" supposedly about how little effective torture is. Then, at the end, you see why, and frankly I'm a bit disgusted and outraged. I mean, nice story technique, but couldn't that've been saved for a movie with more Throughout the movie I was thinking, it's nice that they give the torturer a background, but it's kinda not central to a movie called "Rendition" supposedly about how little effective torture is. Then, at the end, you see why, and frankly I'm a bit disgusted and outraged. I mean, nice story technique, but couldn't that've been saved for a movie with more entertainment? It's the wrong sort of complexity for a movie of this kind. A film with a message (no matter how much it is ridiculed today) should be thought provoking and leave us with either some sort of dilemma, or demonstrate how bad the CIA & co fcuked things up. I completely agree with Chad S. We should've seen a movie about how easy it is for the CIA to abuse its power, or how easily they let themselves be fooled. Instead we get some Quinten Tarantino rip off!! The CIA & USA has fcuked up big time with rendition and they should be held responsible To me, this was a movie about someone (Corrine Whithman) doing a really bad job, and not wanting to admit it. Just because her grandkids were having a great old time in London and got threatened, she let a completely innocent man be tortured? Based on the flimsiest of evidence? This man cellphone couldn't have been used to piggyback the terrorist info on? A severe case of underestimating the enemy. Its amazing that with all the availability of high powered rifles in the usa, no-one has taken out one of these. Expand
  18. SamS.
    May 4, 2008
    I can only think most of the reviewers saw a different film. Not much that is hard to believe - Washington cynicism, flagrantly illegal detention, torture, - does the ends justify the means? This stuff happens only worse insofar as these detentions are for months not the week depicted in the movie. Brutal thought it was it did display both sides of the debate, but ultimately the I can only think most of the reviewers saw a different film. Not much that is hard to believe - Washington cynicism, flagrantly illegal detention, torture, - does the ends justify the means? This stuff happens only worse insofar as these detentions are for months not the week depicted in the movie. Brutal thought it was it did display both sides of the debate, but ultimately the corrupting and corrosive nature of excessive power are unmistakable. The movie is well acted, atmospheric,and tense. One might argue there is a twist that is unnecessarily clever, but it does increase the tension. Reese Witherspoon is the least convincing element, somewhat unidimensional, but the movie has a lot to get through. This is a movie about a complex problem, which it necessarily oversimplifies, but still a topic that shames every American. A good movie. Expand
  19. Paul
    Nov 13, 2007
    Personally I thought the performances were all pretty strong. The subject matter is uncomfortable and thought provoking. The issues are one sided at times (and certainly lacking subtlety) but it raises important questions to which there are probably no satisfactory answers.
  20. NatB
    Oct 16, 2007
    This movie makes up for its holes with great acting and an interesting directing style.
  21. DesmondP.
    Nov 6, 2007
    The only flaw I found in this movie was a less than satisfactory ending. Those who attack it are mostly revealing their political views.
  22. RobertA.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Good but could have been much better.
  23. IsaacW.
    Oct 26, 2007
    I rate this movie based upon its entertainment value, not its alignment with my political views. I don't watch movies to be politically educated. You can agree or disagree with the theme of the movie without it commanding your sense of its entertainment value. Rogert (Ebert), I mostly agree with your very positive view.
  24. MandyC
    Oct 26, 2007
    Excellent movie. Disturbing subject matter, quite political. Is it balanced politically. No. But torture tactics and defense of political agendas that endorse them aren't balanced either. This movie raises awareness. Thank God!
  25. DoctorProctor
    Oct 27, 2007
    Cop out ending... but well acted & directed. Fast-paced enough to hold your interest. Worth a look.
  26. elkenb
    Oct 27, 2007
    2/3 of a great movie. 1/3 dumb subplot. would have liked to see more aftermath.
  27. FGB
    Feb 24, 2008
    Its not a classic but bring a great subject to the foreground.
  28. Feb 3, 2011
    Pretty hard to watch Rendition is one of those movies which glue u up to the chair and u cannot find specific reason for it. It is very slow, and movie time-line is messed up, but all together its good and convincing movie....
  29. Feb 22, 2013
    This is the story of the aftermath of a terrorist bombing. Rendition shows what happens behind the scenes of tragedy from six different sides and it's a pretty compelling story. I love how unique and eye opening this film is, however they really dumb it down for you. This should be the kind of movie that makes you think, but instead they kind of explain everything in detail to you fromThis is the story of the aftermath of a terrorist bombing. Rendition shows what happens behind the scenes of tragedy from six different sides and it's a pretty compelling story. I love how unique and eye opening this film is, however they really dumb it down for you. This should be the kind of movie that makes you think, but instead they kind of explain everything in detail to you from beginning to end. The film was very realistic and clear, that is until the ending. They took this intense, believable, behind the scenes film, and gave it an impossible ending which honestly wound up ruining the whole thing for me. Expand
  30. Aug 28, 2014
    A powerful, political thriller made even more convincing with it's well-teamed cast. The subject matter is contemporary and interesting. Rendition is above these mixed reviews.

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Disappointingly dull given the explosive subject matter, this at least attempts to get a message into the mainstream. An extra star for effort rather than execution.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    By underplaying the melodrama in the presumed hope of seeming subtle when Kelley Sane’s script is so baldly melodramatic, the “Tsotsi” helmer drains the life out of an obviously explosive subject.
  3. The jumping around is as deft as a hippo in a tutu, and the director, Gavin Hood, never finds a rhythm.