7.4

1. Mar 13, 2011
    I am so glad that they made this film. I was four years old when the play opened, and so had it not been for this movie I may have missed out entirely, which would have been a shame. I am not a fan of most movie musicals, because, like novel adaptations, they generally cannot capture the true essence of an original work of art. This movie accurately portrays all of the emotions of the musical; although, regrettably, it only hints at the concept of a dirty, gritty New York without fully embracing it, as the stage version did. The movie, directed by children's movie veteran Chris Columbus, is easily one of the most moving musical films in history, as well as one of the most fun. There are a multitude of themes in this film, and the one I found most touching was the idea of always living life to the fullest, because you never know, this could be your last day on Earth. "No day but today" is a phrase that I believe, now more than ever, should be embraced by everyone. Expand

1. One of the best film musicals in years -- exuberant, sexy and life affirming in equal measure.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Director Chris Columbus has pasted the grungy "La Boheme" update onto film with slavish respect for the original material but a shortage of stylistic imagination and raw emotions.
  3. Reviewed by: Jorge Morales
    Instead of bringing a universal love story to the living present, the film traps it in a frozen past like a prehistoric bug in amber, as removed from moviegoers' experience as a dusty diorama at the American Museum of Natural History.