Royal Films International | Release Date: April 21, 2006
ClintHApr 18, 2006
Deeply, truly disturbing.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
MixersanFeb 20, 2014
Not scary, not interesting - just pretentious. Literally nothing happens in the first 3/4 of the movie. You watch a character with no personality walk around London and gaze out the window of her apartment for the majority of the film. INot scary, not interesting - just pretentious. Literally nothing happens in the first 3/4 of the movie. You watch a character with no personality walk around London and gaze out the window of her apartment for the majority of the film. I guess it's supposed to be artistic or something, but I can't really see it.

This is one of the most boring and least rewarding films I've watched in years. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
JacobparkerMay 15, 2013
The story is not bad, but the film is so boring and takes a long time until finally something happens. When something finally happens this is the "highlight" of the film. Even old movies should be entertaining. In my opinion this film is not.
kirsim.Nov 22, 2007
Innocent woman sinks to the agonising dephts of schitzophrenia. Thats it. Admittedly it is rather tame (only reason why I give it 3 points, not 0) but it is still voyeurism. Hey, Cathy Deneuve looks good. Look, when she does crazy stunts Innocent woman sinks to the agonising dephts of schitzophrenia. Thats it. Admittedly it is rather tame (only reason why I give it 3 points, not 0) but it is still voyeurism. Hey, Cathy Deneuve looks good. Look, when she does crazy stunts like crazies do! Albeit visually more dreary than sleazy - b&w photography, clunky music, you know, everything artsy. - Repulsion is still wildly overrated. The voyeurism stinks like outhouse at summer. Expand
0 of 5 users found this helpful
GammyM.Aug 8, 2009
It is fun, but reminds me of a film school exercise. Too heavy handed and even a little trite.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
MrPieMay 15, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A fantastic movie. It is beautiful in every aspect. Story, image, acting; plot, music.. It isn t realy that kind of a movie that gives you much of suspence rather than a movie that gives you insight and lets you enjoy the slow decay of the tormented mind of a sick and mad woman. Expand
SpangleJan 23, 2017
Repulsion is a classic psychological thriller, but it did not work quite as well as I had hoped. The first entry in director Roman Polanski's Apartment Trilogy, Repulsion pales in comparison to his tremendous follow up in the trilogy,Repulsion is a classic psychological thriller, but it did not work quite as well as I had hoped. The first entry in director Roman Polanski's Apartment Trilogy, Repulsion pales in comparison to his tremendous follow up in the trilogy, Rosemary's Baby. Polanski's instincts guide him reliably into creating a hypnotic and claustrophobic environment, but the film itself lacks polish. It is clear that this is his second feature-length film because it feels as though it lacks that bit of umph to make it a truly impactful and mesmerizing psychological thriller. However, a killer score and claustrophobic direction certainly make up for this and create an often terrifying experience.

Compared to Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion is less scary. That said, this is a very different film, even if it is a part of the same trilogy. Taking place in an apartment that often doubles as the mind of Carole (Catherine Deneuve), this film is haunting in its portrayal of mental disease. Blending reality with dreams and leaving the audience guessing as to which is which. This is honestly horrifying to watch unfold and is where Polanski finds the most success. This suspension of reality is really thrilling to watch unfold and is accentuated by Deneuve's performance. Though he is mostly quiet in the film, she really does capture this descent into madness suffered by her character incredibly well. Polanski himself finds considerable power in these moments as well, with walls cracking and her insanity given a sort of demonic appearance to the audience. This really drops us into a world of the unknown as both us and Carole are shocked and disturbed by what is occurring on the screen.

However, Repulsion takes a bit long to get to the good bits. The first hour or so is a little too subtle and off-the-point to truly be effective. It starts hinting at Carole's repulsion and issues with men and their possible sexual intentions with her. It hints and sets the table, but it feels like a meal that takes too long to cook. You set the table and keep waiting for the food to actually cook. You check every five seconds to see if it is ready, but the damn thing just does not look cooked. This is Repulsion at the beginning. The meal is delicious once it hits the table, but the long prep time takes some of the buzz and satisfaction out of the meal. This is really Repulsion's major issue.

Yet, even when it really buzzes, the film lacks the punch of his later works. It is clearly his second film and it suffers from his inexperience. No shame there, but the film lacks the polish and it is not because it is fuzzy. It is hard to describe why, because there are so many good elements here. Carole's descent into madness, the fuzzy and cheap looking camera actually really benefits this film, as it makes it feel even creepier and unsettled. Yet, I feel as though I was let down by this one a bit, but it what interesting nonetheless to see its clear influence on other films, such as Brian De Palma's Sisters (plot, look, and feel) or David Lynch's Eraserhead (look, feel, and style). The latter was a bit of surprise, but during Carole's descent, having hands fly out of the wall and the jarring and grainy black-and-white camera feel a lot like watching a Lynch film, specifically Eraserhead.

Overall, Repulsion is a pretty good film with a huge legacy. It is possible it was just not for me, but even then, its power is often hard to deny. Featuring a terrifying score, a strong lead performance, and a harrowing portrayal of madness, Repulsion is a compelling psychological thriller that really laid the ground work for many films by other directors and the work of Polanski himself.
horcrux2007Jun 6, 2015
A very disturbing and scary, although sometimes a little dull, psychological horror film about a woman who slowly goes insane while her sister is on vacation. It has a perfectly moody atmosphere thanks to the high contrast of light and shadowA very disturbing and scary, although sometimes a little dull, psychological horror film about a woman who slowly goes insane while her sister is on vacation. It has a perfectly moody atmosphere thanks to the high contrast of light and shadow in the apartment, and there are a few scenes that definitely had my clenching my seat. My biggest issue with the movie is that there are some scenes that get somewhat boring. It's a must watch if you like classic horror. Expand