8.5

1. May 21, 2012
    Requiem for a Dream is the story of 4 stereotypical stock characters who suffer from substance abuse. All of which become the victims of a gruesomely slippery slope of drug addiction. However, this film fails at creating unique and original characters with even the slightest amount of depth. And the half-assed love story between Harry and Marion gives no insight into why they fell in love other then them both being attractive. Many people praise its innovative cinematography and "realistic" view of the results of drug abuse. But along with its purposefully disturbing scare tactics, it's about as compelling and a D.A.R.E poster. And unfortunately the cinematography isn't enough to salvage this colossal piece of trash. Expand
  2. Oct 2, 2010
    Requiem for a Dream was extremely boring. i really can't believe that anyone saw any good in this worthless trash of a film. there was no point in the movie that was even remotely entertaining and the only good thing about it was that everything i did over the following couple of days after seeing it seemed a lot more interesting in comparison. It was just bad.
  3. Jan 21, 2011
    Aronofsky obviously knows little about drug culture or addiction. If a person has never used hard drugs or been involved with people using hard drugs I can see how they might praise this as an unflinching look at the realities of addiction. But unfortunately, Aronofsky's "shock-and-awe" campaign is not based in reality. In actuality the consequences of drug use can be much worse, but not as gruesome or as idiotic as this film portrays them. Expand
  4. Mar 1, 2011
    I really do not see the fascination a lot of filmmakers and other artists have with the bottom feeders of society. I find addicted people disgusting, as simple as that. I find it evenly disgusting how deep certain humans can sink. We must be the only species without a clear genetically determined spectrum of behaviour. I have seen people who live in dirt, who smell, who dump their waste on the street, who destroy themselves with alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, food, or whatever poison they can find. No animal does that. Animals spend most of the day cleaning themselves, because they instinctively know that their body is pretty much their most important asset.
    With regard to this movie, what is the purpose of making it ? Drugs are dangerous ? Thanks, by now everybody should know that.
    The only thing tha bothers me is that apparently a lot of people can actually relate to that movie. That spells trouble for humanity...
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    Weird, confusing, and pointless. I really don't understand what all the hype is about. Yes, Ellen Burstyn performance was unbelievable, but the movie was just terrible. Honestly, I know it has a huge cult following, but wtf is so special about it? Please someone fill me in...What am I missing?
  6. Mar 12, 2013
    Very overrated, disgusting and stupid! I would recommend this movie to all TEENS, who want to try on drugs, so the only good thing about this movie is that it can scare some kids to not try drugs. Otherwise this movie is awful. I can't give more than 1/10 just because it can teach some kids. Parents can do that too, there's no need to watch a disgusting movie like this.
  7. Nov 3, 2013
    There should've been a story arc of Garfield and his horrible lasagna addiction but instead they focused on Gerry Loto and his stupid friends and not on Garfield 0/10000000000 NOTWORTHWATCHING
  8. May 12, 2014
    Very boring film, it may show the effects of how bad drugs can be but aside from that the film is just dark, and extremely boring. I don't recommend this film.

No one interested in the power and magic of movies should miss it.
  2. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    Too self-consciously dark, too aware of its long, murky, art-designed descent into the underbelly of America's addictive personality.
  3. A powerful fable about love and addiction that manages to be darkly humorous when it isn't graphic or harrowing in the extreme.