8.6

Dec 20, 2002
    Drugs are bad, mmkay?
  2. Troy
    May 20, 2002
    There are few movies in existence that can emotionally draw you into the pit of despair that accompanies Harry, Marion, Tyrone, and Sara. If you even tolerated the movie, read the book. Amazing, that's all there is to it.
  3. RyanM.
    Jun 2, 2001
    The reason it's an 8 and not a 10 is because it's so visually graphic and hard to stomach that it takes two points away. Otherwise it's a virtually flawless piece of cultural art.
  4. RobertP.
    Jul 7, 2001
    I used to think "Trainspotting" was disturbing. As drug films go, this one makes "Trainspotting" look like "Up In Smoke."
  5. CatherineV.W.
    Mar 25, 2001
    Perfectly embodies the hopelessness of today's American society.
  6. HeleneS.
    Jul 30, 2001
    This is a film witch makes you learn more about the cruel reality for these victims. The film starts with normal people, no fear, and ends with total hell. The best film ever.
  7. DylanB.
    Jul 1, 2001
    Schockingly true about the perils of addiction.
  8. DDefRush
    Sep 14, 2003
    Just awesome...if you are in the drug's world you would enjoy it 1000, but if you don't know about these things, just shut up.
  9. RyanT.
    Oct 11, 2002
    One of the most shocking films ever made. It is a great film with supurb acting especially by Ellen Burstyn. This film makes you never want to take drugs.
  10. BangkokDave
    Jul 29, 2002
    A stunning & powerful film that shakes you to the core & stays in your mind long after you've seen it. Its portayals of addiction & self-delusion - and their terrible consequences - may be extreme, but they have a powerful resonance. Ellen Burstyn's performance is especially poignant & heartbreaking - it is a depiction of tragedy itself.
  11. Ricki
    Jun 23, 2001
    THe filming of the movie was very well done and dramatic. It showed a lot of emotions.
  12. LelaL.
    Jul 29, 2001
    A visual and audio masterpiece.
  13. Judgedanforth
    Nov 15, 2003
    F....ing deck. You know how it is. This is Chank and scheist, yea.
    May 29, 2001
    Simply the best film of 2000 and in decades. Simply the most harrowing since "Exorcist" and "Psycho," yet it is not a horror film. Simply the best anti-drug film ever made...yet it is not truly about drugs.
  15. BenC.
    Nov 25, 2001
    It's just so nice to see something that doesn't follow the typical Hollywood formula. Because of this, it tugs on your emotions in ways other movies can't. Is funny in a sad and sincere way.
  16. KatieP.
    Jan 30, 2004
    They should show this in school. I'll never do drugs, and I have this movie to thank. Completely honest.
  17. Jack
    Jan 19, 2004
    Perfect and heartbreaking. It's not the fancy FX but the performances that will haunt you.
  18. J.B.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Done 100 times, yes; like this, no. Unlike the typical drug flick--which ends either in a bloodbath or with two uber-hip, model-gorgeous junkies continuing on down the highway in a mint '63 Lincoln--this movie both beats you up and breaks your heart. No one dies, but everyone pays a price. Brutal, breathtaking, heartbreaking. You won't forget it.
  19. Sep 3, 2010
    The drugs don't work, they just make you worse as Richard Ashcroft once sang.
    Intensely brilliant film about addiction & the slow decline that follows.
    Amazing performances from the cast & especially Ellen Burstyn.
    I did think that Jared Leto & Jennifer Connelly looked like brother & sister though.
  20. Jan 13, 2011
    It's well-made, well-acted, well-written, and overall just a very nicely made film. The film itself is depressing, unoptimistic, and at some times, disturbing. It's a bit of a hard one to sit through. Personally, I don't enjoy movies such as this. I can't say it's not well-made, but it certainly is not a pleasure to sit through or watch more than once. Those with weak stomachs may want toIt's well-made, well-acted, well-written, and overall just a very nicely made film. The film itself is depressing, unoptimistic, and at some times, disturbing. It's a bit of a hard one to sit through. Personally, I don't enjoy movies such as this. I can't say it's not well-made, but it certainly is not a pleasure to sit through or watch more than once. Those with weak stomachs may want to reconsider watching, and those easily offended or frightened might want to steer clear. Expand
  21. Nov 12, 2011
    BE CAREFUL WHILE WATCHING THIS MOVIE!

This piece of work brings it. It really does. This excellent movie was one of the best movies I've ever seen in a lot of terms (soundtrack, editing, originality, and so on...) BUT you have to be very carefull while whatching it. It brings with itself a stereotic abordation of the drugs senary. That's a beautiful way of spending quality time but, at
    BE CAREFUL WHILE WATCHING THIS MOVIE!

BUT you have to be very carefull while whatching it. It brings with itself a stereotic abordation of the drugs senary. That's a beautiful way of spending quality time but, at the same time, doesn't deliver enough information for any person to create an opinion about the drugs and abuse subjects.
  22. Dec 16, 2011
    Hooray for portraying how the world really is, in raw material. Kudos for the insanity factors and showing how bad addictions affect others. No, this is not a promotional thing - it's the exact opposite. Great acting (30 Seconds To Mars' Jared Leto made me giggle and point for the first five minutes of the film), great filming, and a spiralling conclusion. Lovely.
  23. Mar 15, 2012
    The impact of this film depends on where you're from and what you've been exposed to in real life and in other reality based films. Not to sound pompous but if i was from a sheltered middle class suburban upbringing I'd probably find some othe sens painfully graphic, but having done my time in the ghettos (plural) I've seen way worse. The directing was the most entertaining aspect. TheThe impact of this film depends on where you're from and what you've been exposed to in real life and in other reality based films. Not to sound pompous but if i was from a sheltered middle class suburban upbringing I'd probably find some othe sens painfully graphic, but having done my time in the ghettos (plural) I've seen way worse. The directing was the most entertaining aspect. The story, well, even if I hadn't experienced some of it in person I'd have read about it countless times before seeing this simply because I'm middle aged. So I guess you might also have to be kind of young to be shocked as well. It's well crafted and if you feel like you 'should' see it so you understand the current pop culture references, then do so. It's not a waste of time. If you want to see the real thing though, check out 'Dope Sick Love'. It's a mind blowing doc that's readily available for free online. Just google it. It makes this film seem like 'Dora the Explorer'. Expand
  24. Mar 25, 2012
    Aronofsky's psychodelic drug addiction film proves him an effective hallucinatory filmmaker and a master at clever stylistic metaphors with pin-point hellish accuracy.
  25. Apr 5, 2012
    Pour apprécier pleinement un film de Darren Aronofsky, c'est d'entrer dans l'univers qu'il nous propose à chaque fois. Notamment au niveau de la mise en scène. Il n'y a qu'à voir The Fountain et Black Swan. Mais son film le plus styliser et le plus fort reste sans aucun doute Requiem for a Dream. Un film à premièrePour apprécier pleinement un film de Darren Aronofsky, c'est d'entrer dans l'univers qu'il nous propose à chaque fois. Notamment au niveau de la mise en scène. Il n'y a qu'à voir The Fountain et Black Swan. Mais son film le plus styliser et le plus fort reste sans aucun doute Requiem for a Dream. Un film à première vue tout aussi "défoncé" que ses protagonistes, mais qui se révèle être un coup de poing ravageur, qui nous permet de vivre (et non de suivre) la descente aux enfers de 4 personnes, touchées d'une manière ou d'une autre par la drogue. Ambiance dérangeante, bo grinçante, mise en scène clipesque, casting de choix... Bref, j'ai assisté, impuissant, à l'une des plus cruelles déchéances qu'il m'ait été de voir dans un film. Et pour cela, je peux dire qu'Aronofsky est un excellent réalisateur! Expand
  26. Jul 20, 2012
    Requiem for a Dream has impact for the most part due to the utterly captivating performances of the cast, particularly Ellen Burstyn who received a well-earned Academy Award nomination, and from Jared Leto who is also very strong. The film also has simple but effectively disturbing visuals, a striking editing style courtesy of Jay Rabinowitz, a moody and epic score from Clint Mansell and aRequiem for a Dream has impact for the most part due to the utterly captivating performances of the cast, particularly Ellen Burstyn who received a well-earned Academy Award nomination, and from Jared Leto who is also very strong. The film also has simple but effectively disturbing visuals, a striking editing style courtesy of Jay Rabinowitz, a moody and epic score from Clint Mansell and a truly terrifying and heartbreaking finale. Being a Darren Aronofsky film, it's flexible and creative with the concept of reality, and becomes more off-the-wall and dreamlike (well, nightmarish) as the characters steadily lose control of their lives, their minds and their free will as a result of their terrible addictions. It's certainly one of the most uncompromising and provocative films about drug addiction ever made, and should probably be mandatory viewing for teenagers to scare them off the life-destroying substances for life. It one of those films that really leaves a lasting effect, an almost crippling feeling of melancholia as a result of its pessimism. Mercilessly downbeat though it may be, Requiem for a Dream is a prime example of meticulously crafted, undeniably powerful filmmaking. Expand
  27. Feb 25, 2013
    This movie is without a really special movie. The style is admirable and bold and Ellen Burstyn's performance is one the best I have seen in a very long time. It explores the effect of drugs in a terriffic way and I think it's safe to say that everyone of us wants to distance ourselves from drugs after watching this film. Nevertheless, there is something about this movie that makes meThis movie is without a really special movie. The style is admirable and bold and Ellen Burstyn's performance is one the best I have seen in a very long time. It explores the effect of drugs in a terriffic way and I think it's safe to say that everyone of us wants to distance ourselves from drugs after watching this film. Nevertheless, there is something about this movie that makes me very, very uncomfortable. I think it's simply because this movie is way too special for my taste, sorry to say. But I definitely think that we all should give it a chance. Expand
  28. Mar 12, 2013
    Very overrated, disgusting and stupid! I would recommend this movie to all TEENS, who want to try on drugs, so the only good thing about this movie is that it can scare some kids to not try drugs. Otherwise this movie is awful. I can't give more than 1/10 just because it can teach some kids. Parents can do that too, there's no need to watch a disgusting movie like this.
  29. Mar 31, 2013
    Not only does it paint the consequences of perhaps reaching too far, but Requiem for a Dream also tells a tragic tale of the troubles of being alone, and the lengths people may go to just to be counted.
    Sara (Ellen Burstyn) is a widowed mother who spends her days watching the same game show, while also fantasising about being thinner and fitting into the red dress she wore to her son Harry's (Jared Leto) graduation, she decides to start a diet which eventually leads her to start taking prescription diet pills.
    Harry, meanwhile, is a heroin addict, and soon gets himself into the trade around Coney Island, along with his friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) and his girlfriend, Marion (Jennifer Connolly). They make extreme amounts of money from their deals and dream of opening a fashion store.
    As the two stories unfold, we watch as each of the four peoples addiction grows out of control and the effects to which their lives begin to spiral, the title truly bears fruit to the lengths these individuals go to for what they believe to be a better life.
    Elllen Burstyn puts in an emotionally stirring performance as Sara, forever fantasising of her life in a gameshow, and her struggle to come to grips with reality are perfectly portrayed here, simply for the love of her son.
    The multi-talented Jared Leto continues to shine, playing the conflicted Harry, who we never quite understand just how much he loves his mother, as when he is around her he seems uneasy. his characters relationship with is also addicted girlfriend starts off quite simple, but we soon realise that he will do anything he can to please her, whatever his actions.
    Darren Aronofsky's superb filmmaking comes in with a bang in this film, combining close up shots with a montage of quick cuts to emphasise the speed and evolved nature of each persons addiction, and he tells a wonderful story as how the ambitions can indeed be dangerous, many things that people reach for could have tragic consequences, but unfortunately an idea can spread.
    Combining expert filmmaking and a gripping story, along with a superb cast, Aronofsky has created a truly breathtaking yet tragic film, one that will not be forgotten, simply because of its meaningful story and heartbreaking finale.
  30. May 13, 2013
    The film, with its great actors, its epic music and its sad and shocking ending is a masterpiece. After watching the film i wanted to hide in a hole. Go and watch it!
  31. Jun 20, 2013
    This film is fascinating. The direction is excellent and the actors are fabulous. Ellen Burstyn gave an excellent performance. The ending was really sad. I thought it would not be such good a film but Requiem for a dream fascinated me. A masterpiece. Aronofsky made again an extraordinary picture
  32. Aug 30, 2013
    It's simply one of the best pictures in cinema history. The best psychological drama ever made. Epic and unputdownable!!! I saw it when it first came out and still if someone reminds me for that movie I cannot sleep at night. It's horror. But not horror meaning ghosts and vampires, but meaning the horror of the unknown, of death and more. It's a movie that I won't forget until I die.It's simply one of the best pictures in cinema history. The best psychological drama ever made. Epic and unputdownable!!! I saw it when it first came out and still if someone reminds me for that movie I cannot sleep at night. It's horror. But not horror meaning ghosts and vampires, but meaning the horror of the unknown, of death and more. It's a movie that I won't forget until I die. Requiem for a Dream is one of the best, maybe the best, picture I have ever seen. It gives you a message for the danger of the drugs too. Do not miss it!! Expand
  33. Nov 1, 2013
    This movie is the definition of the word "Realism." This is a beautiful film about the dangers of abuse that can truly impact, or even change, your life. This is the drug movie, as it shows how drugs WILL get you and it really could damage ANYONE. It uses it's surreal and amazing special effects so this audience truly feels the downfall of these characters and there are remarkableThis movie is the definition of the word "Realism." This is a beautiful film about the dangers of abuse that can truly impact, or even change, your life. This is the drug movie, as it shows how drugs WILL get you and it really could damage ANYONE. It uses it's surreal and amazing special effects so this audience truly feels the downfall of these characters and there are remarkable performances by the actors, including Ellen Burstyn and Jared Leto. Darren Aronofsky gave us this very depressing horror movie and your jaw will drop at the final scene, with it's incredible brutality and intensity. I also admire the fantastic musical composition as it definitely helps the movie show you it's wrath. A true masterpiece that leaves a lasting impression on it's audience. You HAVE to see this movie at least once. Recommend to all. Just buy a few more lightbulbs after the credits. Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Aronofsky knows his fables, his camera work and his sound. Requiem For A Dream is one of the most horrifically disturbing films you will ever see and the most graphically excellent drug movies. I personally enjoyed Darren's PI, and that was the whole reason I watched this film. Not appealing from the trailer, but excellent. Jared Leto shines as a heroin addict, Ellen Burnstyn was brilliantAronofsky knows his fables, his camera work and his sound. Requiem For A Dream is one of the most horrifically disturbing films you will ever see and the most graphically excellent drug movies. I personally enjoyed Darren's PI, and that was the whole reason I watched this film. Not appealing from the trailer, but excellent. Jared Leto shines as a heroin addict, Ellen Burnstyn was brilliant and perfect as a old aged drug addict, Clint Mansel was good, and Marlon Wayans was excellent as a ghetto addict. This whole movie is Aronofsky's fantasy on drug hallucinations and heroin's affect as death, but this gazing at dark filmmaking is marvellous. With a great assembled cast, a great story, awesome songs and the neo noir effect on drugs- you can't miss Requiem For A Dream for its perfectness. It's dark, silly, scary and awesome. Expand
  35. Nov 20, 2013
    In my opinion top 5 best movies of all time. In almost cried at the end because of his mom. jgjgjojegojiogjeriogjiojgiojgiogjiojirtjgiotrjiogjtrggjiorjg. sorry for that just needed to write at least 500 characters to able to submit my review.
  36. Dec 2, 2013
    It tries so hard to be dark and dramatic that it becomes comical. If the movie was ten minutes longer, zombie hitler would rise from the grave and give the whole world cancer or punch orphans in the face. The movie works hard to build a connection with the audience and the characters, but squanders it at the last minute because the creators had too many ideas whirling in their heads.
  37. Dec 27, 2013
    Wow. Easily the most jarring, uncomfortable, and disturbing film I have ever seen. There are no words really. I loved the performances here, especially by Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly. In addition, after not really caring for the only other Aronofsky film I have seen before, Pi, he won me over here. The direction was incredibly unique and brilliantly done.
  38. Jan 18, 2014
    Another disturbing and depressing movie from Aronofsky. Good filming, nice actors. It is about wasted lives, false ideals and ruined destinies. I can't say that I realized something new after watching the movie or I felt compassion to the characters, but still it made a strong emotional impact on me.
  39. Feb 24, 2014
    What a marvelous movie! I had never seen a movie like this. From acting to music...everything is astonishing. And amazing video editing...which I have never seen before.It also gives you a glimpse...that how tough the life of "Heroin" addition is! And finally the fantastic main theme soundtrack by "Clint Mansell".Which I listen a hundred times.
  40. May 11, 2014
    Requiem for a Dream is, in my opinion, and probably the opinion of many others, a cinematic masterpiece. The film's disturbing nature and heartbreaking scenes truly reflect on the brutal effects that drugs can have. The acting is just absolutely stellar. Ellen Burstyn gives a career-topping performance and Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly and Marlon Wayans provide a brilliant cast of troubledRequiem for a Dream is, in my opinion, and probably the opinion of many others, a cinematic masterpiece. The film's disturbing nature and heartbreaking scenes truly reflect on the brutal effects that drugs can have. The acting is just absolutely stellar. Ellen Burstyn gives a career-topping performance and Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly and Marlon Wayans provide a brilliant cast of troubled characters. The cinematography is so on point; the camera cuts are genius and it just adds to the films beauty. The music is tense and haunting, I swear some of the scenes left me sweating in suspense. The story is just so good and it's like nothing you have seen before and nothing you will ever see again. Finally, the film is just so horrific in it's reality; it's so unbearable you can't help but watch. Expand
  41. May 12, 2014
    Very boring film, it may show the effects of how bad drugs can be but aside from that the film is just dark, and extremely boring. I don't recommend this film.
  42. Jun 5, 2014
    One of the most moving and heartbreaking movies of the decade. This movie has great direction, great writing and acting from Burstyn, Leto, Connelly and Wayans
  43. Aug 1, 2014
    "Requiem for a Dream" is more than a film, it's an experience. It doesn't hesitate to depict the cruelty and futility of the world it describes, and it does it successfully with Aronofsky's innovative technique and some touching performances. Despite some excessively melodramatic scenes, the picture discusses not only addiction, but also some other issues that I should leave you to"Requiem for a Dream" is more than a film, it's an experience. It doesn't hesitate to depict the cruelty and futility of the world it describes, and it does it successfully with Aronofsky's innovative technique and some touching performances. Despite some excessively melodramatic scenes, the picture discusses not only addiction, but also some other issues that I should leave you to discover, in a way that's both disturbing and touching. The ending is depressing and pessimistic, though, and may seem disappointing. But the film does not try to be a documentary preventing people from using drugs, it's just cinema depicting, more or less, what pains (not only physical) drug-addicts suffer from. There are interesting motifs and, of course, "Lux Aeterna", Mansell's famous soundtrack, that enhance the whole experience. Watch it even if you believe that you 'll dislike it. Expand
  44. Aug 15, 2014
    A flat out masterpiece sharply executed my Darren Aronofsky who put together a story of obsession and greed that delivers a message simply unforgettable.
  45. Sep 13, 2014
    We've all heard the phrase, "Don't do drugs." We've seen the before and after pictures. But unless you know someone that did drugs, we never really see what happens in between that before and after. Requiem for a Dream shows us what drugs do to people from four perspectives: The Girlfriend, the partner-in-crime, the over-user, and the innocent grandma- wait, what? Yeah, this movie provesWe've all heard the phrase, "Don't do drugs." We've seen the before and after pictures. But unless you know someone that did drugs, we never really see what happens in between that before and after. Requiem for a Dream shows us what drugs do to people from four perspectives: The Girlfriend, the partner-in-crime, the over-user, and the innocent grandma- wait, what? Yeah, this movie proves that drugs not only ruin your life, but they also come in many places. You just have to know where. My favorite part about the movie is the fast-paced editing. It gets more and more intense as the movie goes on and really adds that freaky feeling about drugs. Also, I personally quite enjoy the snorricam in this. It just adds to the surreal feeling. Requiem for a Dream is god-damn masterpiece. A must see! Expand
  46. Nov 4, 2014
    A good film but definitely not a great work of art. The film demonstrates us the consequence of drug, overuse of medicine, and prostitution for money. The filmmaking is original, the soundtrack is groundbreaking, performance was good, and there are some fine scenes composition. Yes, that's all great but I felt a little cold after the credits. I think it is because I've heard so many goodA good film but definitely not a great work of art. The film demonstrates us the consequence of drug, overuse of medicine, and prostitution for money. The filmmaking is original, the soundtrack is groundbreaking, performance was good, and there are some fine scenes composition. Yes, that's all great but I felt a little cold after the credits. I think it is because I've heard so many good things about it and I thought it would be more than just an anti-drug movie. Well, yeah, it was a good portrait of it, and I do have to admit it's a well-made film but I just wanted some more (for example the struggle of good and evil, etc). Perhaps it's just because of my expectation but I felt something was missing, I don't know, that's how I felt about this film. Nevertheless, this a must-see film. If you are interest in stylish filmmaking, this is going to be a gift for you. Expand
  47. Jan 3, 2015
    When I set out to see this, I didn't know what to expect. But it surprise me, in a good way. A movie that isn't pretty, has no happy ending... and on the top of all, it perhaps makes you think about something important. Well acted.
  48. Jan 21, 2015
    Masterpiece in every aspect. From soundtrack to actors. From plot to decorations. One of the best movies human mind can create. Breathtaking from the very first second till the last one.
  49. Feb 20, 2015
    There has never been a film as difficult to watch or as grotesquely mesmerising as "Requiem for a Dream." Darren Aronofsky crafts nightmares unlike any filmmaker of his generation. This is a film that must be seen at least once. Once was all I could stomach.

No one interested in the power and magic of movies should miss it.
  2. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    Too self-consciously dark, too aware of its long, murky, art-designed descent into the underbelly of America's addictive personality.
  3. A powerful fable about love and addiction that manages to be darkly humorous when it isn't graphic or harrowing in the extreme.