4.9

1. Feb 21, 2015
    Lifelessly plotted, choppily edited and poorly acted, "Resident Evil: Retribution" is worthy watching merely for the laughs. It's so bad it's hilarious.
  2. Feb 15, 2015
    The guilty pleasure franchise continues with more of the same and continues to be strangely watchable in a perverse way. Still not as good as the two animated "ResEvil" features, but "Retribution" is another one for fans of Anderson's series. Roll on the final film.
  3. Feb 3, 2015
    Retribution is unoriginal, tiring and half heartlessly directed. Resident Evil is in a desperately need of new idea's, sadly this poorly constructed sequel is full of wasted potential, however Retribution never fails to entertain.
  4. Dec 16, 2014
    It can serve to hang out, but by this fifth installment, this saga has been completely distorted. No one turned away is the basic idea that guided the history of the early Resident Evil games, has moved away completely from the basic idea up to the newest in the series deliveries. The history of the previous 4 films leads this have an exaggerated story, with elements that border on theIt can serve to hang out, but by this fifth installment, this saga has been completely distorted. No one turned away is the basic idea that guided the history of the early Resident Evil games, has moved away completely from the basic idea up to the newest in the series deliveries. The history of the previous 4 films leads this have an exaggerated story, with elements that border on the absurd, and the end is still more illogical and absurd. All it does is grab Andersen loose ideas and scenes of Resident Evil video games, and use it completely out of context and place. I can accept without complaint the first two movies, but since the third part, this film saga has gotten worse. This is no longer worthy to be called "Resident Evil" because not what the hell is, but beyond loose items, this is no longer even close to being true to the series of games that claims to represent.

--------------------------

Puede servir para pasar el rato, pero ya para esta quinta entrega, esta saga se ha desvirtuado por completo. No solo se alejo se la idea basica que guiaba la historia de los primeros juegos de Resident Evil, se ha alejado por completo de la idea basica de hasta las entregas mas nuevas de la saga. La historia de las 4 peliculas anteriores lleva a que esta tenga una historia exagerada, con elementos que rozan el absurdo, y con final que es ilogico y todavia mas absurdo. Todo lo que hace Andersen es agarrar ideas y escenas sueltas de las videojuegos de Resident Evil, y usarlo totalmente fuera de contexto y lugar. Puedo aceptar sin quejas las dos primeras peliculas, pero desde la tercera parte, esta saga en cine ha ido a peor. Esto ya no es digno de llamarse "Resident Evil", porque no se que rayos es, pero mas alla de elementos sueltos, esto ya no esta ni cerca de ser fiel a la saga de videojuegos que dice representar.
  5. Jul 17, 2014
    The storyline sucks, the acting is appalling, and the script is disgraceful. With that being said, Resident Evil: Retribution is absolute crap, but its very entertaining crap.
  6. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie is just plain bad. Everything about it is bad. Milla Jovovich tries her best but W.S. Anderson just decides to **** it all up.....literally!!!!!!!!
  7. Apr 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest, from all the movies, this is probably the one that I like the least.. But, it is still great. I think it could be better in some way but it doesn't mean it wasn't good because it was as much as the others! I did get mad at the movie for some time because of Luther, but I'm still hopeful, anyway, we got Jill back and they introduced some characters from the game (Ada, Leon..) And the world if definitely about to go for good. Good Alice is still alive, and with her powers back! Can't wait for the next movie, love this saga too much! Expand
  8. Mar 4, 2014
    I don't know how a person like this piece of """? Fanboys is the first word that comes to mind but fanboys should be the first person who should hate its guts. Scenario? Non existent? Characters? Poorly made "badasses". They destroyed Leon and Aida. They twisted zombies incorrectly and WTF is this Las Plagas thing. You even couldn't done that right!! Absolute WASTE OF TIME. Avoid it. IfI don't know how a person like this piece of """? Fanboys is the first word that comes to mind but fanboys should be the first person who should hate its guts. Scenario? Non existent? Characters? Poorly made "badasses". They destroyed Leon and Aida. They twisted zombies incorrectly and WTF is this Las Plagas thing. You even couldn't done that right!! Absolute WASTE OF TIME. Avoid it. If you are a RE fan from the beginningyou should avoid it cause it may bring tears to your eyes because you saw how they destroyed your favourite franchise. """" Expand
  9. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Paul W. S. Anderson can't get enough of how he destroyed the Resident Evil franchise. While Capcom is struggling (or not) to make a decent game to praise the old generation, Anderson never made a good movie. I got to admit I was going to watch Ted, but when I arrived at the movies, my brother told me we were going to watch the new Resident Evil movie. I got majorly disappointed.

I really try to somehow like the movie, but I can't help it. Cheesy lines, totally failure in following the game, terrible character adaptation, bad storyline (which ended long time ago, but they still try to insert something somewhere)...

The characters casting is what bother me the most. First of all, Alice never appeared in any game and hopefully never will. Ada Wong passed from a strong, mysterious woman to a fragile Asian girl, like some perverts throughout the internet like. Leon, one of the most loved characters (if not the favorite), became a total douchebag with a beard. Jill is the main villain, which is not the case in the game. And Barry, the legendary badass, is an ordinary soldier in the group. Took me a while to realise Barry was in the movie...

Not to mention some scenes where they showed a Mortal Kombat-like fight with an x-ray of the bone being broken. People literally started laughing at the cinema, no joke.

Unfortunately, a new movie is coming. I'm afraid of what they can do to Jake Muller, Sherry Birkin and other characters from the sixth game. Just give up making Resident Evil movies, Anderson...
  10. Feb 14, 2014
    Utter garbage. It's just one series of special effects and action melding into the next, with very little narrative to tie them together. Also, aside from Ada Wong every other character from the games is terribly cast and given almost no depth what so ever. Clearly just shoed in to grab the fans, problem is the "actors" offer very little and seem almost bored in their roles.

Clearly

Clearly this movie franchise now exists simply so Milla can have work (a shame as I think she could do so much better.)

Overall:
    By far the worst of the series. The only reason I even give it a 2 is for the effects and Ada (who was the only decent thing in the movie.) No plot, recycled villains and pointless action for the sake of it. One of the few movies I ever walked out on.

Side Note:
    Mr. Anderson, if by some miracle you read this: PLEASE stop making resident Evil movies. Capcom is doing more than enough damage to the franchise on its own, they do need you shoveling this putrid manure onto the fire.
  11. Feb 3, 2014
    我看过的最烂的一部电影,根本没有剧情,充其量一场游乐场跑酷游戏,各种设定逻辑混乱,之前的恐怖荡然无存只有CG特效堆积+长串长串的慢动作,当然除了造型设计比较成功。
  12. Dec 31, 2013
    Incrivelmente fantástico como esse filme magistralmente ruim. Não há palavras em meu dicionário linguístico para descrever essa medonha obra do cinema.
  13. Oct 14, 2013
    I have always told people around me that these movies had each about 2 minutes of excellent story and a whole lot of cool action. Well, this one has neither. This "thing" dares to ignore all continuity and attempts to convert anti-corporate post-zombie-apocalyptic Shadowrun to nationalistic survival with silly ads from today's mega-corporations. And fails even at that.
  14. Oct 12, 2013
    I don't know why people have not seemed to enjoy this movie very much. That's mostly because I haven't seen the other movies or played any of the video games. But really, if this film wasn't brutal at times, this movie would be neck and neck with the Avengers as the best action movie of 2012 for me. It's smart, has head-on battles which are some of the best I've seen in my life, as well asI don't know why people have not seemed to enjoy this movie very much. That's mostly because I haven't seen the other movies or played any of the video games. But really, if this film wasn't brutal at times, this movie would be neck and neck with the Avengers as the best action movie of 2012 for me. It's smart, has head-on battles which are some of the best I've seen in my life, as well as 3-D that even beats Spy Kids 3, and an opening that even beats Spider-Man 2, and for once, isn't over 2 hours. Expand
  15. Aug 6, 2013
    Resident Evil Retribution isn't great, per say but one of the most imaginative video game movies that I have ever seen. Films like Hitman had more potential but Paul W.S Anderson mixes the most crappiest VFX into well made 3D but still, its not a boost to the horrible series, its a just a film that will ignite some awesomeness about the series into moviegoers. 3D is epic, made to beResident Evil Retribution isn't great, per say but one of the most imaginative video game movies that I have ever seen. Films like Hitman had more potential but Paul W.S Anderson mixes the most crappiest VFX into well made 3D but still, its not a boost to the horrible series, its a just a film that will ignite some awesomeness about the series into moviegoers. 3D is epic, made to be watched in 3D but Retribution is still a mess of the franchise. Expand
  16. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was my first "Resident Evil". I can not understand why somebody can call this a real movie.
    Ok, the special effects are good but really poor 3-D effects) and the idea in this movie seems a bit interesting. However i am asking myself how a horror-action movie can be boring like that. Some Action movies are dumb but at least they are entertaining. And this is missing in "Resident Evil: Retribution".
    Because of that WORST MOVIE I EVER SAW (I really do not lie!
  17. Jun 24, 2013
    directors need to stop making this god awful video game adaptions that are butchering the franchises i hope that someday in the future we could get movies based on video games that wont suck i hope the upcoming metal gear and devil may cry movies wont be as bad as this piece of $h!t
  18. Jun 21, 2013
    I love this movie, contains more action and surprises than the previous movie afterlife, although it does not contain much plot, one can say that is good from start to finish, as fans can enjoy a good action in this film.
  19. Jun 16, 2013
    The only halfway decent movie in this franchise was the first one; RE:R sinks to a new low with lazy video game plotting, wretched acting, shameless product placement/advertising, and Michelle Rodriguez (need we say more?). Of course, director Paul W.S. Anderson continues to show a flair for striking compositions, but let's face it--he's coasting with this one, probably the worst in theThe only halfway decent movie in this franchise was the first one; RE:R sinks to a new low with lazy video game plotting, wretched acting, shameless product placement/advertising, and Michelle Rodriguez (need we say more?). Of course, director Paul W.S. Anderson continues to show a flair for striking compositions, but let's face it--he's coasting with this one, probably the worst in the series, although it's hard to tell. But the joke is on me--I won't miss a single entry. Go figure. Expand
  20. Jun 7, 2013
    A monumental waste of time. The series gets worse and worse. I don't know why they keep releasing these. Do they actually still make money? I can't ever believe my own eyes when I watch them because they are all so bad. Stop at the first film and go no further, and even THAT movie wasn't really that good.
  21. Jun 4, 2013
    Iam lucky to say that i had not forget the whole movie after one Day.It was so uninspired.There was no scene that looks good to me and michelle Rodriguez is an unbelievable bad actor.Also ther eis so much slow motion that in the end i dont know if i have cry or laugh or both.
    The biggest problem is that you see that the only thing which the filmmaker was wanting is your money.And that is a bad sign for movies.
  22. Jun 1, 2013
    Very heavy on the CGI, which is all very well done by the way, I’m guessing a lot of green paint was used. I think just about every fight sequence was shot in slow motion; I’m not sure why but for me it didn’t add any excitement. Nobody will win any prizes for the performances, although I thought Michelle Rodriguez as Rain did a pretty good job. Okay, from an entertainment perspective,Very heavy on the CGI, which is all very well done by the way, I’m guessing a lot of green paint was used. I think just about every fight sequence was shot in slow motion; I’m not sure why but for me it didn’t add any excitement. Nobody will win any prizes for the performances, although I thought Michelle Rodriguez as Rain did a pretty good job. Okay, from an entertainment perspective, yes, it did its job; an easy to follow plot that has plenty of action and some very pretty ladies; this red blooded male was not disappointed on that front. On the down side; it does look like you’re watching someone else playing a first person shooter video game. It’s left wide open for another sequel (hopefully the last one), so I guess there will be more… And I will be watching.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (Purely for entertainment… If this is your sort of thing that is…)

My score: 5.7/10
  23. May 19, 2013
    Just love the girls! And to see your game characters (RE6) come to live amazing! Well, didn't have high hopes for this movie, but came away entertained. Think the next one will be nice all my favourite babes blasting away at the army of undead.
  24. May 17, 2013
    I thought Resident Evil 2 is enough. The movie gets worst and worst. I don't want to be mean, complain, but Paul W. S. Anderson, could u just stop making these movies.
    It's just so boring, protagonist always kills enemies, specially weak enemies very enemies, protagonist always wins. I don't like super mighty protagonist, I like protagonist who is very weak, but manage to escape or survive. Protagonist like from The Descent.
  25. Apr 30, 2013
    This movie is a joke. Seriously, how can be considered a good movie... HOW?!
    This movie is a joke. Seriously, how can be considered a good movie... HOW?!
    I didn't understand a SINGLE thing of this film and no one notices that THERE AREN'T dialogues? There were been phreases such as "go there, i'll cover her" or "let's go there bla bla", AND NOTHING ELSE. Then... what the weere doing Barry, Leon, Ada, Jill, and other famous RE's character putted (in italia we says "At minchiam") randomly?! I thought that Extinction was the terriblest Resident Evil movie... but not. This is one of the worst movie i've ever seen.
  26. Apr 27, 2013
    Jesus Christ This movie is a complete abomination. In fact all that were made after 1 2 and 3 are rubbish. Characters like Leon and Ada seem weak when they are one of the most skilled. This movie has nothing to do with the history of resident evil. Editing is awful and the storyline is boring! Its not thriller like the first 3 movies its more of a action game. I beg whoever makes thisJesus Christ This movie is a complete abomination. In fact all that were made after 1 2 and 3 are rubbish. Characters like Leon and Ada seem weak when they are one of the most skilled. This movie has nothing to do with the history of resident evil. Editing is awful and the storyline is boring! Its not thriller like the first 3 movies its more of a action game. I beg whoever makes this movie to stop insulting Resident Evil One more thing... A FREAKIN ROSE ROYCE? Very stupid Expand
  27. Apr 12, 2013
    What an insult to the Resident Evil franchise! Yes, it has good effects but the plot is entirely pointless, it is screwed up and thrown aside, aswell as being completely disinteresting and predictable. Stop making these damn movies if you don't care about the franchise! It's not going to appeal to anyone, especially not to Resident Evil fans. If anything it's like a slap in the face toWhat an insult to the Resident Evil franchise! Yes, it has good effects but the plot is entirely pointless, it is screwed up and thrown aside, aswell as being completely disinteresting and predictable. Stop making these damn movies if you don't care about the franchise! It's not going to appeal to anyone, especially not to Resident Evil fans. If anything it's like a slap in the face to them! Why does this have the Resident Evil name on it to throw people off? It doesn't have anything to do with Resident Evil, you might aswell just call it "Brainless action-flick" to easier target your audience. The characters I couldn't care about, the main character is just there for the sex appeal and the over-the-top shouting just drags on. They're not even talking about anything, they're just shouting over the top of each other to try to make you think that the scene is meaningful, when it isn't. None of the characters ever reload their weapons either and there are some serious consistency issues. Overall, I did have a fun time when I switched my brain off but it pains me when I see movies like this sometimes be more successful than good movies. Stop it! Stop supporting this misleading BS from directors who just want to cash-in! Expand
  28. Mar 19, 2013
    1st movie: Very good movie

2nd movie: Can't remember :( 3rd movie: Good action movie 4th movie: Only liked it because it had multiple zombies from recent games this movie: Absolutely horrible See, this movie is nothign but pointless action. All they did was take some famous characters, and slap them all in this hole of a movie. Also, they made Leon look like an idiot. I
    1st movie: Very good movie

2nd movie: Can't remember :(

3rd movie: Good action movie

4th movie: Only liked it because it had multiple zombies from recent games

this movie: Absolutely horrible

See, this movie is nothign but pointless action. All they did was take some famous characters, and slap them all in this hole of a movie. Also, they made Leon look like an idiot. I kind of liked Barry though... But anyways, this movie makes no sense to me, and it shouldn't have been made. I can't really explain it, that's how much it doesn't make sense.
  29. Mar 16, 2013
    Just watched the movie second time and was curious to see how many awards it won. This movie features some of the exciting moments ever shown in the series before and i was disappointed that it did not won the number of awards and top ratings it deserved. Anyway i am a big fan of the series and this movie is one of the best.
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    While it is not an amazing move it definitely gave me a Resident Evil boner with a bunch of the game characters making their way into the movie. Being a huge RE game fanatic it was fun to see Leon make an appearance, without even them mentioning his name the iconic wool lined jacket gave it away. Just watch it for the mind numbing entertainment and you will come out feeling great aboutWhile it is not an amazing move it definitely gave me a Resident Evil boner with a bunch of the game characters making their way into the movie. Being a huge RE game fanatic it was fun to see Leon make an appearance, without even them mentioning his name the iconic wool lined jacket gave it away. Just watch it for the mind numbing entertainment and you will come out feeling great about seeing the movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Sep 21, 2012
    Giant brains with teeth, suburban mutant zombies, more bullets than a John Woo film festival, and hot girls in skin-tight S&M outfits pummelling each other to a deafening dubstep soundtrack. If you're looking for brainless, blood-guzzling carnage, you've found it.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 19, 2012
    Jovovich's physicality and chilly mien (she was originally a "project" of the Umbrella Corp.) carry the series from start to … whenever it finishes, which might not be for quite a while yet.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Sep 15, 2012
    Anderson utilizes slow-motion 3-D to hyperbolic effect while again casting Jovovich as the epitome of badass sexiness.