4.9

1. Dec 16, 2014
    It can serve to hang out, but by this fifth installment, this saga has been completely distorted. No one turned away is the basic idea that guided the history of the early Resident Evil games, has moved away completely from the basic idea up to the newest in the series deliveries. The history of the previous 4 films leads this have an exaggerated story, with elements that border on theIt can serve to hang out, but by this fifth installment, this saga has been completely distorted. No one turned away is the basic idea that guided the history of the early Resident Evil games, has moved away completely from the basic idea up to the newest in the series deliveries. The history of the previous 4 films leads this have an exaggerated story, with elements that border on the absurd, and the end is still more illogical and absurd. All it does is grab Andersen loose ideas and scenes of Resident Evil video games, and use it completely out of context and place. I can accept without complaint the first two movies, but since the third part, this film saga has gotten worse. This is no longer worthy to be called "Resident Evil" because not what the hell is, but beyond loose items, this is no longer even close to being true to the series of games that claims to represent.

--------------------------

Puede servir para pasar el rato, pero ya para esta quinta entrega, esta saga se ha desvirtuado por completo. No solo se alejo se la idea basica que guiaba la historia de los primeros juegos de Resident Evil, se ha alejado por completo de la idea basica de hasta las entregas mas nuevas de la saga. La historia de las 4 peliculas anteriores lleva a que esta tenga una historia exagerada, con elementos que rozan el absurdo, y con final que es ilogico y todavia mas absurdo. Todo lo que hace Andersen es agarrar ideas y escenas sueltas de las videojuegos de Resident Evil, y usarlo totalmente fuera de contexto y lugar. Puedo aceptar sin quejas las dos primeras peliculas, pero desde la tercera parte, esta saga en cine ha ido a peor. Esto ya no es digno de llamarse "Resident Evil", porque no se que rayos es, pero mas alla de elementos sueltos, esto ya no esta ni cerca de ser fiel a la saga de videojuegos que dice representar.
  2. Jul 12, 2014
    This movie is just plain bad. Everything about it is bad. Milla Jovovich tries her best but W.S. Anderson just decides to **** it all up.....literally!!!!!!!!
  3. Mar 4, 2014
    I don't know how a person like this piece of """? Fanboys is the first word that comes to mind but fanboys should be the first person who should hate its guts. Scenario? Non existent? Characters? Poorly made "badasses". They destroyed Leon and Aida. They twisted zombies incorrectly and WTF is this Las Plagas thing. You even couldn't done that right!! Absolute WASTE OF TIME. Avoid it. IfI don't know how a person like this piece of """? Fanboys is the first word that comes to mind but fanboys should be the first person who should hate its guts. Scenario? Non existent? Characters? Poorly made "badasses". They destroyed Leon and Aida. They twisted zombies incorrectly and WTF is this Las Plagas thing. You even couldn't done that right!! Absolute WASTE OF TIME. Avoid it. If you are a RE fan from the beginningyou should avoid it cause it may bring tears to your eyes because you saw how they destroyed your favourite franchise. """" Expand
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Paul W. S. Anderson can't get enough of how he destroyed the Resident Evil franchise. While Capcom is struggling (or not) to make a decent game to praise the old generation, Anderson never made a good movie. I got to admit I was going to watch Ted, but when I arrived at the movies, my brother told me we were going to watch the new Resident Evil movie. I got majorly disappointed.

I really try to somehow like the movie, but I can't help it. Cheesy lines, totally failure in following the game, terrible character adaptation, bad storyline (which ended long time ago, but they still try to insert something somewhere)...

The characters casting is what bother me the most. First of all, Alice never appeared in any game and hopefully never will. Ada Wong passed from a strong, mysterious woman to a fragile Asian girl, like some perverts throughout the internet like. Leon, one of the most loved characters (if not the favorite), became a total douchebag with a beard. Jill is the main villain, which is not the case in the game. And Barry, the legendary badass, is an ordinary soldier in the group. Took me a while to realise Barry was in the movie...

Not to mention some scenes where they showed a Mortal Kombat-like fight with an x-ray of the bone being broken. People literally started laughing at the cinema, no joke.

Unfortunately, a new movie is coming. I'm afraid of what they can do to Jake Muller, Sherry Birkin and other characters from the sixth game. Just give up making Resident Evil movies, Anderson...
  5. Feb 14, 2014
    Utter garbage. It's just one series of special effects and action melding into the next, with very little narrative to tie them together. Also, aside from Ada Wong every other character from the games is terribly cast and given almost no depth what so ever. Clearly just shoed in to grab the fans, problem is the "actors" offer very little and seem almost bored in their roles.

Clearly

Clearly this movie franchise now exists simply so Milla can have work (a shame as I think she could do so much better.)

Overall:
    By far the worst of the series. The only reason I even give it a 2 is for the effects and Ada (who was the only decent thing in the movie.) No plot, recycled villains and pointless action for the sake of it. One of the few movies I ever walked out on.

Side Note:
    Mr. Anderson, if by some miracle you read this: PLEASE stop making resident Evil movies. Capcom is doing more than enough damage to the franchise on its own, they do need you shoveling this putrid manure onto the fire.
  6. Feb 3, 2014
    我看过的最烂的一部电影,根本没有剧情,充其量一场游乐场跑酷游戏,各种设定逻辑混乱,之前的恐怖荡然无存只有CG特效堆积+长串长串的慢动作,当然除了造型设计比较成功。
  7. Dec 31, 2013
    Incrivelmente fantástico como esse filme magistralmente ruim. Não há palavras em meu dicionário linguístico para descrever essa medonha obra do cinema.
  8. Oct 14, 2013
    I have always told people around me that these movies had each about 2 minutes of excellent story and a whole lot of cool action. Well, this one has neither. This "thing" dares to ignore all continuity and attempts to convert anti-corporate post-zombie-apocalyptic Shadowrun to nationalistic survival with silly ads from today's mega-corporations. And fails even at that.
  9. Jul 9, 2013
    This movie was my first "Resident Evil". I can not understand why somebody can call this a real movie.
    Ok, the special effects are good but really poor 3-D effects) and the idea in this movie seems a bit interesting. However i am asking myself how a horror-action movie can be boring like that. Some Action movies are dumb but at least they are entertaining. And this is missing in "Resident Evil: Retribution".
    Because of that WORST MOVIE I EVER SAW (I really do not lie!
  10. Jun 24, 2013
    directors need to stop making this god awful video game adaptions that are butchering the franchises i hope that someday in the future we could get movies based on video games that wont suck i hope the upcoming metal gear and devil may cry movies wont be as bad as this piece of $h!t
  11. Jun 16, 2013
    The only halfway decent movie in this franchise was the first one; RE:R sinks to a new low with lazy video game plotting, wretched acting, shameless product placement/advertising, and Michelle Rodriguez (need we say more?). Of course, director Paul W.S. Anderson continues to show a flair for striking compositions, but let's face it--he's coasting with this one, probably the worst in theThe only halfway decent movie in this franchise was the first one; RE:R sinks to a new low with lazy video game plotting, wretched acting, shameless product placement/advertising, and Michelle Rodriguez (need we say more?). Of course, director Paul W.S. Anderson continues to show a flair for striking compositions, but let's face it--he's coasting with this one, probably the worst in the series, although it's hard to tell. But the joke is on me--I won't miss a single entry. Go figure. Expand
  12. Jun 7, 2013
    A monumental waste of time. The series gets worse and worse. I don't know why they keep releasing these. Do they actually still make money? I can't ever believe my own eyes when I watch them because they are all so bad. Stop at the first film and go no further, and even THAT movie wasn't really that good.
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    Iam lucky to say that i had not forget the whole movie after one Day.It was so uninspired.There was no scene that looks good to me and michelle Rodriguez is an unbelievable bad actor.Also ther eis so much slow motion that in the end i dont know if i have cry or laugh or both.
    The biggest problem is that you see that the only thing which the filmmaker was wanting is your money.And that is a bad sign for movies.
  14. May 17, 2013
    I thought Resident Evil 2 is enough. The movie gets worst and worst. I don't want to be mean, complain, but Paul W. S. Anderson, could u just stop making these movies.
    It's just so boring, protagonist always kills enemies, specially weak enemies very enemies, protagonist always wins. I don't like super mighty protagonist, I like protagonist who is very weak, but manage to escape or survive. Protagonist like from The Descent.
  15. Apr 30, 2013
    This movie is a joke. Seriously, how can be considered a good movie... HOW?!
    This movie is a joke. Seriously, how can be considered a good movie... HOW?!
    I didn't understand a SINGLE thing of this film and no one notices that THERE AREN'T dialogues? There were been phreases such as "go there, i'll cover her" or "let's go there bla bla", AND NOTHING ELSE. Then... what the weere doing Barry, Leon, Ada, Jill, and other famous RE's character putted (in italia we says "At minchiam") randomly?! I thought that Extinction was the terriblest Resident Evil movie... but not. This is one of the worst movie i've ever seen.
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    Jesus Christ This movie is a complete abomination. In fact all that were made after 1 2 and 3 are rubbish. Characters like Leon and Ada seem weak when they are one of the most skilled. This movie has nothing to do with the history of resident evil. Editing is awful and the storyline is boring! Its not thriller like the first 3 movies its more of a action game. I beg whoever makes thisJesus Christ This movie is a complete abomination. In fact all that were made after 1 2 and 3 are rubbish. Characters like Leon and Ada seem weak when they are one of the most skilled. This movie has nothing to do with the history of resident evil. Editing is awful and the storyline is boring! Its not thriller like the first 3 movies its more of a action game. I beg whoever makes this movie to stop insulting Resident Evil One more thing... A FREAKIN ROSE ROYCE? Very stupid Expand
  17. Apr 12, 2013
    What an insult to the Resident Evil franchise! Yes, it has good effects but the plot is entirely pointless, it is screwed up and thrown aside, aswell as being completely disinteresting and predictable. Stop making these damn movies if you don't care about the franchise! It's not going to appeal to anyone, especially not to Resident Evil fans. If anything it's like a slap in the face toWhat an insult to the Resident Evil franchise! Yes, it has good effects but the plot is entirely pointless, it is screwed up and thrown aside, aswell as being completely disinteresting and predictable. Stop making these damn movies if you don't care about the franchise! It's not going to appeal to anyone, especially not to Resident Evil fans. If anything it's like a slap in the face to them! Why does this have the Resident Evil name on it to throw people off? It doesn't have anything to do with Resident Evil, you might aswell just call it "Brainless action-flick" to easier target your audience. The characters I couldn't care about, the main character is just there for the sex appeal and the over-the-top shouting just drags on. They're not even talking about anything, they're just shouting over the top of each other to try to make you think that the scene is meaningful, when it isn't. None of the characters ever reload their weapons either and there are some serious consistency issues. Overall, I did have a fun time when I switched my brain off but it pains me when I see movies like this sometimes be more successful than good movies. Stop it! Stop supporting this misleading BS from directors who just want to cash-in! Expand
  18. Mar 19, 2013
    1st movie: Very good movie

2nd movie: Can't remember :( 3rd movie: Good action movie 4th movie: Only liked it because it had multiple zombies from recent games this movie: Absolutely horrible See, this movie is nothign but pointless action. All they did was take some famous characters, and slap them all in this hole of a movie. Also, they made Leon look like an idiot. I
    1st movie: Very good movie

2nd movie: Can't remember :(

3rd movie: Good action movie

4th movie: Only liked it because it had multiple zombies from recent games

this movie: Absolutely horrible

See, this movie is nothign but pointless action. All they did was take some famous characters, and slap them all in this hole of a movie. Also, they made Leon look like an idiot. I kind of liked Barry though... But anyways, this movie makes no sense to me, and it shouldn't have been made. I can't really explain it, that's how much it doesn't make sense.
  19. Mar 4, 2013
    You can tell that everyone is tired of the Resident Evil movies, even the actors stopped caring. Milla Jovovich looks old up close and has definitely gained a few pounds which sometimes make her a little too big for the ridiculously ugly PVC-outfit they tried to fit her in. The fighting scenes were mediocre, when played in slow-motion I was able to observe a lot of strange (and mostYou can tell that everyone is tired of the Resident Evil movies, even the actors stopped caring. Milla Jovovich looks old up close and has definitely gained a few pounds which sometimes make her a little too big for the ridiculously ugly PVC-outfit they tried to fit her in. The fighting scenes were mediocre, when played in slow-motion I was able to observe a lot of strange (and most likely) unintentional facial expressions that made some of the scenes look like a benny hill episode. The constant killing and resurrecting of characters is confusing and makes it hard for the viewer to care about any of them since there seem to be a never ending supply of people whom Alice (Milla Jovovich) has encountered and when they die they'll just come back at some inconvenient point and then die again. In Retribution Milla fights alongside Ada Wong (Bingbing Li) who despite looking gorgeous in that red dress really can't act. She recites the lines as if though it's a high-school rehearsal. Then there's a team of goons made up of two uninteresting people who die any way and three other guys (Leon, Barry and James) whose outfits and hairstyles come straight out of The Village People's music videos. They put up a horrible performance, looking out of place with their strange leathery PVC-costumes and making the firefights seem like they were directed by a bunch of 16-year-olds. I can't get over how ridiculous this movie is, I found myself laughing at some of the sillyness portrayed on screen during what should have been very serious action or emotional scenes. It's kind of sad to see Resident Evil no longer being about zombie survival but more about What is this movie about, any way? Constant reruns of exploding bases? Poorly choreographed slow-motion fighting scenes? Cleavage and PVC-costumes? I'll definitely watch the next installment of Resident Evil just to see how badly they can mess it up. At least the ending was promising, I'm pretty sure one of the director's kids sent that one in. Expand
  20. Jan 31, 2013
    Es un "hueso" en todo el sentido de la palabra, Milla ya no pega y debería llamarse invasión zombie o algo así. RIP Resident Evil en Videojuegos y Películas
  21. Jan 20, 2013
    One shooting scene after another. No dialogs. No story. If you change its name to "The Alice Project" no one would realize it is based on a video game franchise. Awful movie.
  22. Jan 18, 2013
    If you want a movie to feel exactly like a video game, this movie is for you because that's exactly how it feels. I've never seen a movie that felt more like a video game in my life. However, if you're like me and you want your movie to have plots that actually make sense and have a nice flow to them, you probably won't enjoy this movie. It's really upsetting that a franchise that startedIf you want a movie to feel exactly like a video game, this movie is for you because that's exactly how it feels. I've never seen a movie that felt more like a video game in my life. However, if you're like me and you want your movie to have plots that actually make sense and have a nice flow to them, you probably won't enjoy this movie. It's really upsetting that a franchise that started so well has disintegrated into this. The first two films, I thought were outstanding but the next two were plagued with absurd levels of ridiculousness and this film had the worst plot development I've seen yet. It's unfortunate too because the acting is good enough and the action sequences are entertaining but the cheesy 3D elements and the piss poor plot show just how a terrible director can destroy a movie. I'm glad they're only making one more... though, how they made this many just shows how stupid Europeans actually are. Expand
  23. Jan 16, 2013
    I wish people would not buy tickets to movies like that.... That way trash movies would be released in lesser numbers every year.
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For people who haven't played the video games I guess this is enjoyable. They brought the main characters from the video games but they did it horribly. Leon and Ada are complete jokes in this movie. Ada is the cat woman of resident evil and they did the exact opposite. Leon is the 1st person to try and save someone, but he says in the movie that he wouldn't risk his life for one person. They are teaming up with Wesker? ...what? I enjoyed the other movies but this one was terrible. They could've done so much more with these amazing characters but they completely missed. Expand
  25. Dec 25, 2012
    I am a big fan of the series, but this part is like spitting in my face. movie is composed of almost random fight scenes between actresses wearing pseudo sexy outfits. no zombies, no storyline, no sense. avoid if you can!
  26. Dec 22, 2012
    This is the fifth and probably not the last installment of the famous zombie movie is always the same.
  27. Dec 16, 2012
    The story line is awful, The special effects suck and it's painfully obvious that they are fake. I also love how the main villains win the final battle yet still lose due to some pathetic last second twist. So dumb imo. I am done with this series.
  28. Dec 14, 2012
    The worst of the already horrible film franchise that is an insult to the Resident Evil franchise to which it derives from. I am not even going to review this movie. Its just so bad, it insults Resident Evil canon so much that I feel like cracking the Blu-Ray disc in half. This the peak of an absolute **** of a movie franchise which I feel strays dangerously close to the horror of theThe worst of the already horrible film franchise that is an insult to the Resident Evil franchise to which it derives from. I am not even going to review this movie. Its just so bad, it insults Resident Evil canon so much that I feel like cracking the Blu-Ray disc in half. This the peak of an absolute **** of a movie franchise which I feel strays dangerously close to the horror of the Twilight films, and thanks to it, has cemented itself as my personal SECOND WORST FILM FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. The first two films were alright, passable as Resident Evil films (and they're true to canon as well! Sort of...). From the third film onwards, well, it just went downhill. There's going to be a sequel, and yes I will be watching it for the sake of it. And no, I guarantee you, it will be complete **** and no, I am not a psychic. Avoid this pile of excrement at all costs, especially if you're into RE, because frankly I cannot see how much worse W.S prickface Anderson can reduce the RE namesake even further down the **** pipe. The definition of ****. Expand
  29. Dec 14, 2012
    In case of "Action Movie" it's very good. Excellent movie!
    In case of "Action Movie" it's very good. Excellent movie!
    You can find a lot of nice action scene with slow motion in this movie which goes along very well and I like it a lot, honestly. Even at the start, the slow motion was quite good on rewinding scene while showing the credit. The sound and CG are great but some scenes you will find something strange (Low quality compose may be.).

But it's representation of "Resident Evil" has been TOTALLY FAILED!!......
    If you played RE video games before I'm sure that u will understand why...
    In fact there is nothing similar to "Resident Evil" in this movie at all, except the "Name"...Well, you know? like...
    Name of the film , Name of the company, Names of the Virus, Names of the characters etc. It'll be best if they change the name to "Resident Terminator" or something else. Conclusion:
    If you are fan-boy of action movie and you didn't mind about the change of RE franchise, this can be one of the best movie for you. (Give 8-10)

If not, I recommend "Resident Evil" The CG Motion Picture which created by CAP-COM.
  30. Dec 13, 2012
    My advice for anyone looking to buy this movie: don't. The problem isn't the fact that it doesn't relate to the original games, because I'm sure we've all come to accept the only real similarities these movies have are character names. The problem is that it feels like it was made by a 15 year old boy, and by that I mean the movie goes a little something like this: fights, explosions,My advice for anyone looking to buy this movie: don't. The problem isn't the fact that it doesn't relate to the original games, because I'm sure we've all come to accept the only real similarities these movies have are character names. The problem is that it feels like it was made by a 15 year old boy, and by that I mean the movie goes a little something like this: fights, explosions, over-use of special effects, more fights, more explosions, women in catsuits, women in catsuits that purposely show cleavage, some more explosions, cheesy dialogue, Russian zombie soldiers and an invincible Michelle Rodguiez. I was genuinely surprised to learn the writer/director is nearly 50. I'm giving the movie a 1 instead of my initial 0 because it did have me laughing out loud on more than one occasion at how bad the acting really is. If you feel like you have to watch this because you need to find out what happens next in the ongoing plot, don't bother - nothing happens! The ongoing plot essentially comes to a standstill as the entire movie is based around Alice escaping yet another Umbrella facility controlled by the Red Queen. It's a case of dejavu, we've seen it all before - so what's the point in the movie? Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, terrible development, terrible everything... and yet I keep watching these movies for some reason. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Sep 21, 2012
    Giant brains with teeth, suburban mutant zombies, more bullets than a John Woo film festival, and hot girls in skin-tight S&M outfits pummelling each other to a deafening dubstep soundtrack. If you're looking for brainless, blood-guzzling carnage, you've found it.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Sep 19, 2012
    Jovovich's physicality and chilly mien (she was originally a "project" of the Umbrella Corp.) carry the series from start to … whenever it finishes, which might not be for quite a while yet.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Sep 15, 2012
    Anderson utilizes slow-motion 3-D to hyperbolic effect while again casting Jovovich as the epitome of badass sexiness.