Resident Evil

6.6

1. JacobR.
    Mar 21, 2002
    Really cool movie. Slicker than the B-movie predecessors, which I, for one, am grateful. I don't know what movie the critics saw, but I apparently saw the good version.
  2. VolkB.
    May 31, 2002
    Could have been better but was the scariest movie in a LONG time... compare it to Scream!! HAHAHA ... Only gamers would like the movie though so f... off critics!
  3. StaceyG.
    Mar 16, 2002
    Very scary! The scariest movie of the year, by far!!!! Good plot and storyboard. Good acting, just a little corny but no probs!! If I was 10 years old, I would have peed my pants and ran out screaming! I can't wait for the sequel!!! I WANT FLESH...
  4. HowardT.
    Mar 19, 2002
    Much much much better than I expected. Probably the best video-game-based movie ever. Looking forward to see the next episode.
  5. RogerW.
    Mar 20, 2002
    OK, people, lighten up already. You had to know going in that this is not a Merchant-Ivory production. :) But thanks to the loads of bad reviews this flick has gotten, I walked in with low expectations and got blown away. RE was visually amazing, action-packed, and FULL of scares. The story is actually fairly involved, the script works well, the acting is just what the doctor ordered, and OK, people, lighten up already. You had to know going in that this is not a Merchant-Ivory production. :) But thanks to the loads of bad reviews this flick has gotten, I walked in with low expectations and got blown away. RE was visually amazing, action-packed, and FULL of scares. The story is actually fairly involved, the script works well, the acting is just what the doctor ordered, and of course Milla and Michelle are gorgeous. I never played the game, but the movie was fun regardless. Expand
  6. D.J.
    May 24, 2002
    Great scientific scene, followed only a small part of the original story. and it could have been better, cz the whole fighting duration was too short and so as the boss fighting (too easy to kill it). Looking forward to the next one's coming.
  7. Uri
    Jul 10, 2002
    Very cool. I expected basically nothing and it turnes out to be the best movie made after a game so far! And it doesn't matter that I'm not really a gamer for some time now. I really enjoyed it!
  8. MichaelW.
    Jun 18, 2003
    This is a great example of a film that fans love and critics hate. This is demonstrated by the fact that the critics gave it an avg. score of 30 and we gave it a 75!!! Roger Eber said, "The movie is 'Dawn of the Dead' crossed with 'John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars,' with zombies not as ghoulish as the first and trains not as big as the second. The movie does This is a great example of a film that fans love and critics hate. This is demonstrated by the fact that the critics gave it an avg. score of 30 and we gave it a 75!!! Roger Eber said, "The movie is 'Dawn of the Dead' crossed with 'John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars,' with zombies not as ghoulish as the first and trains not as big as the second. The movie does however have Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez." And your point?? He gave it a 25 based on that! I would have given it a 90 based on that! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL!! Expand
  9. KevinM
    Mar 13, 2009
    This score is probably the best I can give any of Paul WS Anderson's films. I know this is the worse reviewed by critics and some of the users won't agree with me on this, but this first one to me is actually the best of the 3. Apocalypse wasn't as good and Extinction was just alright, though I like the set up for a sequel at the end of it.
  10. RodericR.
    Jul 18, 2009
    I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I played the games and am well aware of the "lore" of RE, but sometimes the movies don't need to follow exactly. Plus, this is kind of new territory here, with the movie actually coming after the game. I still wish I could filter reviews and remove all "0" scores. A movie that bad should make you *literally* vomit in your mouth, unable to even I actually enjoyed this movie a lot. I played the games and am well aware of the "lore" of RE, but sometimes the movies don't need to follow exactly. Plus, this is kind of new territory here, with the movie actually coming after the game. I still wish I could filter reviews and remove all "0" scores. A movie that bad should make you *literally* vomit in your mouth, unable to even watch it in its entirety and sad for the plot of humanity and anyone's soul who came within 10 feet of it. Thus, only a handful of movies would be able to get such a ridiculous score. Expand
  11. DiN.
    May 22, 2002
    If you don't play the games, or games in general, how do you expect to like a movie that is based on them? Has someone heard of "target audience"?
  12. EricS.
    Mar 15, 2002
    A surprisingly good action/horror film...it entertainingly trashes both corporations and zombies.
  13. DaserR.
    Mar 22, 2002
    This is a finely crafted movie of the B genre. It is one of those scary roller-coaster experience movies that grabs you at the beginning and and takes you for a ride. It is also stunning visually and has great music. The parting shot is simply classic.
  14. KristinaV.
    Mar 29, 2002
    I thought Resident Evil was a very thrilling movie. It was very suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat.
  15. KerriM.
    Feb 19, 2003
    Art does not come from mixing video games and horror movies, but the product can still be fun. Sure it's predictable, but the monster-magic is at time amazing, the pace never slacks, and Milla gets mostly naked. It has everything I want from a monster flick.
  16. LanceE.
    Aug 6, 2004
    -This is not the best movie of all time (Whoever thinks that it is mustn't watch many movies) but it is entertaining, in an absurd entertaining sort of way. I love the games as well, but come on people, how could they make it based exactly on the games? If they did that, the movie would be worse, not better. The games have some of the stupidest scripts of any game (Truly, you -This is not the best movie of all time (Whoever thinks that it is mustn't watch many movies) but it is entertaining, in an absurd entertaining sort of way. I love the games as well, but come on people, how could they make it based exactly on the games? If they did that, the movie would be worse, not better. The games have some of the stupidest scripts of any game (Truly, you can't say the script in the games is great, because it isn't. Case in point: "Wait! Don't shoot! (Loading disc sound) I'm a human!" or, "You could have been a Jill-sandwich") So, if they made the script like the videogame, people would either hate it or laugh at it, much like we all do when we play the games. -Acting: The only good actor/actress in this was Jovovich, and that's stretching it. If the game has such a bad script, and the movie has a pretty bad script, you can't expect the acting to be superb. These actors aren't big-name stars like Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman, so you shouldn't expect a roster of huge stars. But the acting wasn't deplorable, at least. Plot: Again, if you want it to be more like the game then the plot in the movie would also suck. What are the games about? Some people getting stuck in a city which has been infected with a virus that turns people in to zombies and trying to get out and stop a corporation named Umbrella. Isn't that what the movie's about? Except it takes place in one area rather than a whole city. Actually, so do the games. So come on, you can't expect the movie to have a good plot if the games don't. Action: It had decent action, and sometimes really good. Like the part with the lasers when those commando guys are trapped in the room and that guy gets his head sliced off when we all thought he was going to make it. Milla Jovovich had some nice moves, like the snapping of necks, jump-kicking a zombie dog. That's where the movie has most of its fun: stupid, pointless action sequences, which seems the only reason the movie was made. -Overall: It is pretty true to the game, except the characters. I would have preferred the Romero script which stays true to the games, but there's no use in complaining if it's not going to happen. But really, it's not a bad movie. The point is, it's entertaining if a little stupid. Sure, the plot's stupid, the acting sub-par, the action sequences aren't spectacular, but still, it's one of those movies you watch and have fun and not really think about. This isn't an M. Night Shyamalan film! That's what the games are about, pointless fun. If the games don't require an IQ over 50, why should the movie? Really, who was expecting this movie to be brilliant? Oscar worthy? Not me. And if you want something more like the game, Res Evil: Apocalypse will at least have Jill Valentine. Expand
  17. AllanT.
    Dec 20, 2002
    These critics don't know sh.t, the only movies they like were made 100 years ago in black and white.....YAWN!
  18. Sep 8, 2011
    I've never played the video games so I can't compare this to them, but I can tell you this is a very enjoyable Zombie movie, this movie actually made me jump twice, it's really a great movie, and I'm looking forward to the other movies in the series.
  19. Jan 25, 2013
    Considering how low a budget this film had, it was really surprising just how far they stretched it. This is perhaps the only Resident evil (non-animated) movie that I liked. I really like that they decided not to just remake the story from the games and make an original character with her own story. I really like Alice and Milla does a great job playing her. Rodriguez also does a good jobConsidering how low a budget this film had, it was really surprising just how far they stretched it. This is perhaps the only Resident evil (non-animated) movie that I liked. I really like that they decided not to just remake the story from the games and make an original character with her own story. I really like Alice and Milla does a great job playing her. Rodriguez also does a good job but she more or less just plays the same character that she always plays. The rest of the cast were just forgettable. As to the movie as a whole, it was a decent horror that did have some chills and did a good job capturing the tone of the games, or at least the first two games. Overall: An enjoyable movie that is perhaps one of the better video game movie adaptations. Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2014
    Very good convert from video game to movie, kept true to the game for those that have played it.
    It is what it is and far this reason I rate it highly.
  21. Llyander
    Aug 5, 2002
    Dude, you do not go to see Resident Evil expecting witty dialogue, philosophical characters and a revolutionary screenplay. You go to see the T-Virus, zombes by the bucketload and people dying in creative ways. I LOVED this movie. Just sit down, munch your popcorn and turn your brain off for a while. Mmmm. Brrraaaiiinnnss.
  22. ERJ
    Sep 7, 2008
    I love this movie. Not perfect, pretty flawed, but i love it.
  23. MarkH.
    Mar 21, 2002
    For you game-fanatics, you'll find that several sequences within the movie will be reminiscent of "Half-Life." Overall, it's a fun good scary romp, just what I was looking for that Tuesday afternoon (matinee prices).
  24. BrianM.
    Apr 17, 2002
    An entertaining movie that mostly does stay true to the RE series.
  25. SaerA.
    Jun 17, 2004
    Resident Evil will have you jump up, yell, and will get you entertained.
  26. Uter
    Sep 15, 2003
    It's not brilliant, but I was entertained all the way through.
  27. Hellboy
    Dec 1, 2004
    This Movie Waz Allright But The Girl Who Plays The Lead Girl Is Pretty Hot And Ugly At The Same Time Well A Pretty Great Movie.
  28. Brandon
    Mar 19, 2004
    I was dazzled by this film the first time i saw it, but after a few days i thought it was weak...It hardly followed the Resident Evil Videogame. How is a Licker the main boss of the movie. Now that is weak. Where is the Tyrant? I gave it a seven simply because this is possibly the best videogame movie. Super Mario Brothers was crap, Final Fantasy...i'm tempted to say was the worst I was dazzled by this film the first time i saw it, but after a few days i thought it was weak...It hardly followed the Resident Evil Videogame. How is a Licker the main boss of the movie. Now that is weak. Where is the Tyrant? I gave it a seven simply because this is possibly the best videogame movie. Super Mario Brothers was crap, Final Fantasy...i'm tempted to say was the worst movie i have ever seen (which is a low blow because the games are rather good) and Mortal Kombat is alright...not spectacular. Resident Evil delivers, but could of been so much better...and the music sucks. Collapse
  29. S.D.
    Jul 17, 2008
    I like the film really. But I think, it's because I have never played the game. So, the film is a good action/zombie movie, but only for people who, never played the game. And this is the best Movie of the trilogy.
  30. Sep 12, 2010
    i thought this movie was an alright start to the resident evil franchise despite not following the original game series storyline. the story was satisfactory not perfect and the cast performed well and convincingly. i would recommend this movie

1. While computer games can boast an abundance of nifty graphics and odious villains and plucky protagonists on long journeys, they're invariably a tad wanting in the cinematic essentials -- you know, stuff like plot and characterization and theme.
    Is this the future of horror or just some bizarre fluke? Don't ask me, I'm having too much fun to care.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    Evil's one strong presence is lead Milla Jovovich -- and not because the script gives her supercop/soldier anything interesting to say.