Restrepo

7.7

1. May 16, 2011
    Where is the fighting? Where is the war? #%# this is boring.

Get a good, long view of the most boring and tedious parts of deployment in Afghanistan. The most interesting shots - helicopters firing missiles, fighters and bombers swooping in - are few and far between.

You want to see real war? Guess you'll be joining the military and dying or going to ****
  2. Nov 28, 2010
    I had read Junger book "War" before I watched the movie and was looking forward to see the soldiers and the mountainous landscapes so well described there. I have to say that the movie left me underwhelmed. It was neither about the situation in Korangal Valley (which would demand some sort of a introduction, maps, narration, analysis of strategic and tactical importance) nor about theI had read Junger book "War" before I watched the movie and was looking forward to see the soldiers and the mountainous landscapes so well described there. I have to say that the movie left me underwhelmed. It was neither about the situation in Korangal Valley (which would demand some sort of a introduction, maps, narration, analysis of strategic and tactical importance) nor about the troops in one of the most dangerous outposts in the world (which would demand more background on the soldiers, going into the psychology of warfare, PTSD...). The whole thing feels somewhat directionless (maybe as a commentary on the Afghan war) and probably much more so for the viewers who did not read the book. On the positive side, (not counting the great dance number to the immortal tune "Touch Me" by Samantha Fox) you get immersed - the camera is almost always in the middle of action, you can see the bullets flying and feel the explosions. But if you really want to get to know the men of Restrepo, read the book. This does not help much. Expand
  3. Sep 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was somewhat disappointed, given all the positive buzz around this film. To be honest, I wasn't as engrossed by this film as I hoped and expected to be. Perhaps that was in part because Restrepo wasn't highly developed before he died. (But, to be fair, maybe the film-makers simply didn't have much footage of him.) In any event, this is a good "war is hell" documentary, but I didn't find it as wonderful as many other did. Expand
  4. Jan 18, 2011
    This might be rumoured to be the most dangerous place on earth, but I felt disconnected from the emotional rollercoaster the soldiers were going through, and it felt like watching scattered spots of a news channel.
  5. Sep 24, 2014
    There's something not right about this documentary.
    It frames the soldiers as home-spun, good-natured boys with the bricks stacked against them in an almost-indefensible outpost in the middle of no-man's land. But no questions are ever answered.
    What were they doing there in the first place, other than provoking the locals? Was there any strategic reason to be there? Why does the
    There's something not right about this documentary.
    What were they doing there in the first place, other than provoking the locals?
    Was there any strategic reason to be there?
    Why does the camera linger so much on scenes when they break down and cry for their fallen comrades, then offer little judgement or lingering on the counterpoint moments when they're joyfully gunning down the enemy, celebrating that they made their heads explode - in full knowledge that that soldier's parents are most likely just down the road from them?
    How long can we hear about how demoralised, distraught and emotionally-scarred these soldiers are before we turn a single thought towards the people surrounding them?
    In essence, this comes across, to me at least, as a politically-motivated propaganda piece in the guise of a non-authorial documentary.
    For all that, it is interesting - but seldom compelling.

1. A film that is beautiful, harrowing, heartbreaking -- and necessary.
    Restrepo is about soldiers, not politics. The question of whether U.S. troops belong there isn't posed. Their devotion to duty and each other is unquestioned.
  3. If you're looking for a political message, either for or against U.S. involvement in Afghanistan, this is not your movie. The directors were satisfied with telling us about a group of courageous, honorable young soldiers - a salute these men richly deserve.