7.5

1. JaredC.
    Aug 20, 2007
    It may be inspirational, but its a letdown. Everytime you watch Samuel L. Jackson, you have to expect something, and that is greatness. His only good movies (Jurassic Park and Coach Carter) are big hits. But his acting in other film's (including this one) he is just weird in. This is no powerful movie, it dissapointed me completely as the whole idea which is superb ends up being way It may be inspirational, but its a letdown. Everytime you watch Samuel L. Jackson, you have to expect something, and that is greatness. His only good movies (Jurassic Park and Coach Carter) are big hits. But his acting in other film's (including this one) he is just weird in. This is no powerful movie, it dissapointed me completely as the whole idea which is superb ends up being way too hard for the writer and director to make because its a hard story to make of. And thats what sucks about it, but it still made me cry a little. But it just never really came together. Its not crap, its just not very good. Expand
  2. G.M.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Uplifting.
  3. JudyT
    Aug 25, 2007
    Good attempt but missed the mark for greatness. Samuel is good and Josh Hartnett tries, but in the end the writing lets them down as the two main characters are not well fleshed out. Pales in drama to "Shattered Glass".
  4. JayH.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not too bad but I did find it rather boring. The acting is good, as is the story but I just never got involved in the film, it never drew me in. It lacks spunk.
  5. John
    Apr 3, 2008
    Hey Jared you ever see a movie called Pulp Fiction, because in my opinion Sammuel L. was pretty good in that. Just a thought. Oh and it's called a comma, try using it one day. If your going to give a movie a 3 ouf of 10 please come up with something better thatn "its not crap its just not very good" because if you give something 3 you are saying that it is crap.
  6. JeremyP.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Samuel L Jackson should win an Oscar for this role. His potrayal of the Champ is spot on and very authentic.
  7. StephenD.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Will be a classic. A film which works on many levels. Jackson should win an Oscar.

1. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Charged by a knock-out performance from Samuel L. Jackson, this compelling story of manly redemption will deliver a winning boxoffice combination of word of mouth and ultimately step outside the generic ring of sports lore.
  2. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    Overly sentimentalized and the execution is slack. If not for Samuel L. Jackson's performance as the ravaged boxer, "Champ" would be of limited interest.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Wilonsky
    This isn't great raw material, though Lurie and his screenwriters try their best to portray Erik as some guilt-ridden evildoer who's perpetrated a great fraud.