8.3

1. MarkP
    Jun 20, 2009
    Frankly I wasn't as impressed as many reviewers. It seemed to me a typical example of depressed Austrian nihilism. Wim Wenders or Werner Herzog never would have made a film this glum.
  2. TimH
    Jun 30, 2009
    Effective and poignant tale about regret.
  3. Mike
    Jun 20, 2009
    Great movie!
  4. NateK
    Mar 8, 2010
    A stunner. I saw this film in theaters on a whim last year and it has stuck with me ever since. A masterpiece in mood and atmosphere, this slow burning neo-noir is propelled entirely by the turbulent emotions of our anti-hero. My only reservation is that the film frequently subverts expectations, which may frustrate casual film viewers. The movie frequently escalates towards violence, A stunner. I saw this film in theaters on a whim last year and it has stuck with me ever since. A masterpiece in mood and atmosphere, this slow burning neo-noir is propelled entirely by the turbulent emotions of our anti-hero. My only reservation is that the film frequently subverts expectations, which may frustrate casual film viewers. The movie frequently escalates towards violence, only to retreat again. If this doesn't sound like it would bother you, see this immediately! I can't get it out of my head. Expand
  5. SusanW
    Oct 27, 2009
    Brilliant, full of surprises on so many levels not just the overrated twist found in so many movies today.
  6. Becki
    Jul 26, 2009
    A complex look at love and grief. Beautiful movie.
  7. David
    Jun 18, 2009
    I thought this was an excellent film, and well deserved Oscar nomination. Definitely check this out!
  8. Mar 8, 2015
    Revanche was mesmerizing, gritty, real. No false steps, no wasted scenes, a work of art. The only curiosity was no subtitles, at first, for some of the dialogue. The protagonist is a criminal, accessory to murder, yet very human and sympathetic. Highly enjoyable film for most.

From the film's opening moments you won't be able to guess where the whole thing ultimately ends up and that's one of the many endearing qualities of Revanche.
  2. Reviewed by: Maggie Lee
    Hard luck conspires with bad sex in this unspectacular Austrian tale of crime and punishment.
  3. Reviewed by: Alissa Simon
    In what's essentially a six-hander, the casting is aces. All actors turn in fine, naturalistic perfs, but it would be remiss not to remark on 83-year-old Thanheiser's profoundly moving turn as the grandfather.