Reversal of Fortune

7.8

1. DianeD.
    Mar 24, 2003
    "I want my own individual order of ginger prawns."
  2. HanselH.
    Mar 24, 2006
    No. 9 on the all time metacritic list? No way. Not a bad movie. But highly overrated.
  3. JosieP.
    Mar 8, 2003
    "You are a very strange man"... "You have NO idea.." Irons rocks!
  4. BlancoA.
    Nov 30, 2002
    One of the all-time greats. Jeremy Irons absolutely makes this movie. Pauline Kael's full review of this film is excellent literature, by the way, if you can get your hands on it, even though she's not as big a fan of the film as I am. I suppose I agree that the Dershowitz was a little too self-aggrandizing... See this film!
  5. MikeN.
    Feb 10, 2004
    Irons is great. Like Hopkins in Silence of Lambs, he comes across as so intelligent and witty that he makes you like von Bulow, in spite of the fact that you really, really don't want to like Claus von Bulow. Close is excellent too. Silver does a good job, but the Dershowitz sections have an annoying "made for TV movie" quality about them that brings down the whole tone of the picture.
  6. BrendanH.
    Apr 7, 2006
    I've watched RofV six times and I never get tired of it. Never get tired of Ron Silver's vastly underrated performance, Jeremy Irons' introverted despair, Glenn Close's intoxicating mix of rage and ennui. The film confronts our assumptions of the "whodunnit" and turns them on their head. In RoV, as in life, we can't always come to definite conclusions to what I've watched RofV six times and I never get tired of it. Never get tired of Ron Silver's vastly underrated performance, Jeremy Irons' introverted despair, Glenn Close's intoxicating mix of rage and ennui. The film confronts our assumptions of the "whodunnit" and turns them on their head. In RoV, as in life, we can't always come to definite conclusions to what happened, or why; whether a man is good, evil, or lives in some point in between. Doesn't deserve to be mentioned with "The Godfather", but I love this movie. I think I'll watch it another six times. Collapse
  7. PatC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    96? No, it's not that good.
  8. Jan 7, 2015
    With its opening long shot panning above numerous estates in Rhode Island, REVERSAL OF FORTUNE inks a plaintive sentiment to this morally ambiguous true story, the case of socialite Sunny von Bülow (Close), who descends into an unexplained brain-dead coma in the 1980, and her current husband, Claus von Bülow (Irons) is charged with attempted murder by an overdose of insulin injection.With its opening long shot panning above numerous estates in Rhode Island, REVERSAL OF FORTUNE inks a plaintive sentiment to this morally ambiguous true story, the case of socialite Sunny von Bülow (Close), who descends into an unexplained brain-dead coma in the 1980, and her current husband, Claus von Bülow (Irons) is charged with attempted murder by an overdose of insulin injection. Against all the odds to his trial, Claus hires Alan Dershowitz (Silver) as his defence and eventually gets away with the indictment while the truth remains a moot point. In real life Sunny died in 2008 after almost 28 years as a human vegetable and Alan would be involved as an appellate adviser in another notorious case of O.J. Simpson.
    continue reading my review on my blog, google cinema omnivore, thanks.
  9. Mar 21, 2016
    Reversal of Fortune is finally enjoyable only on its own times. Don't forget to watch all the movies I'm giving 9's in as of this time because movies like this one cannot be missed.

This engrossing mystery-comedy peeks through the keyholes of the rich and infamous in a manner both droll and delicious.
  2. Los Angeles Times
    Reviewed by: Sheila Benson
    The performances of Close and Silver are flawless, but it is Irons' portrait that remains behind, an enigmatic after-image… Reversal of Fortune is a delectable tour through facets of the lives of the rich and famous that Robin Leach wouldn't touch with a forked stick. [17 Oct 1990]
  3. USA Today
    Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    If Silver is superb, Irons is transcendent. As some forgotten comic once said of George Sanders: A grapefruit wouldn't dare squirt in his eye. [17 Oct 1990]