7.1

1. Sep 6, 2013
    dont believe the critics. They are wrong as often. If u liked part 1 an 2 u will love part 3. Not an academy award candidate but a typical vin diesel riddick and highly entertaining. I luved the movie. go and watch it!
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    If you didn't like pitch black but liked chronicles of riddick, you might not be impressed by riddick.
    I loved the chronicles of riddick, all the unique races and cool set pieces.
    This movie seems like a rehashed pitch black, The whole movie felt like an anime filler where you know at the end nothing really matters. This whole movie dragged on while showed very few parts of him in
    I loved the chronicles of riddick, all the unique races and cool set pieces.
    This movie seems like a rehashed pitch black,
    This whole movie dragged on while showed very few parts of him in chronicles to explain that he gets betrayed "all in about 2 mins".
    I was really hoping for the chronicles side rather then pitch black side, and even then its not as good as pitch black.

Don't get me wrong its a good movie, its just not "chronicles good" its just a not as good pitch black.
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    Went to see this movie last night and came out with mixed feelings. The film splits into 2 sections; Rambo in space and a sort of antihero sided bounty hunt. There were aspects of the film that were enjoyable such as the colour palette, creatures and Riddicks' resourcefulness, but I just wish they could have found someone to look over the script who could write affecting dialogue as wasWent to see this movie last night and came out with mixed feelings. The film splits into 2 sections; Rambo in space and a sort of antihero sided bounty hunt. There were aspects of the film that were enjoyable such as the colour palette, creatures and Riddicks' resourcefulness, but I just wish they could have found someone to look over the script who could write affecting dialogue as was pretty simplistic which stopped any engagement with the supporting cast.

The other aspect that was disappointing was the pacing. The tempo in first section of the movie was slow but rewarding, but the section section was quite boring and unnecessary in places causing you to look around the theatre and disengage with the story.

I do not want to seem all down on this movie as it was brave, partially interesting and a different take on the action movie. The movie felt more independent than many Hollywood action movies I have seen but maybe lacked the pacing and payoffs we have all become used too.

I think this movie may benefit from a re-cut and if they were to do it again I would say speed up the survivor first half by 20%, cut out huge swathes of the repetitive second section and create a new jaw dropping ending.
  4. Sep 10, 2013
    In this 2rd sequel, Vin Diesel is alone on a barren planet. First, he fends off an assortment of lethal alien animals, then 2 teams of bounty hunters land to provide human foes. It's like a reverse slasher flick: you're rooting for this seemingly superhuman slasher to dispatch the others one by one. The quality varies widely: some of the visuals scream fake, others are cool. The dialogueIn this 2rd sequel, Vin Diesel is alone on a barren planet. First, he fends off an assortment of lethal alien animals, then 2 teams of bounty hunters land to provide human foes. It's like a reverse slasher flick: you're rooting for this seemingly superhuman slasher to dispatch the others one by one. The quality varies widely: some of the visuals scream fake, others are cool. The dialogue is leaden and dumb, esp. with Diesel's gravelly tone. The action is plentiful, but not often special.
    Fans of the genre (or the star) may find it enjoyable.
  5. Dec 18, 2013
    Utter nonsense.
    The writers cobbled this together on the way to work.
    I wasted two hours of my life watching this tripe.
    Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-
  6. Feb 14, 2014
    It's not always the smartest, there are a lot of eye rolling cheesy moments and dialog, but it's still a very fun and action packed sci-fi movie. Diesel nails it as the cocky bad-a*s Riddick, and the rest of the cast is also entertaining. Considering all the crap that sci-fi movies have been lately, it's nice to see one that is just a lot of fun. I can't compare it to the originals, but IIt's not always the smartest, there are a lot of eye rolling cheesy moments and dialog, but it's still a very fun and action packed sci-fi movie. Diesel nails it as the cocky bad-a*s Riddick, and the rest of the cast is also entertaining. Considering all the crap that sci-fi movies have been lately, it's nice to see one that is just a lot of fun. I can't compare it to the originals, but I can say this latest "Riddick" movie was a lot of fun, at least in my opinion. So go ahead and give it a shot. I think you'll find it worth your time. Expand
  7. Jan 1, 2014
    Don't understand the people or critics who blasted this movie. I've watched and loved pitch black and Chronicles of Riddick and Dark Athena, and to tell you the truth something was telling me that this movie was going to suck, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The movie is definitely great, Vin Diesel does an as usual excellent job of portraying the silent gritty killer Riddick, the movie has a lot of action, is "believable" (in the context of the movie universe) and has good supporting roles by actors that are relatively uknown (except for the lady that plays starbuck on Battlestar Galactica and the guy who did Dredd, he's "Commander Vako" in the movie.

I particularly liked the "new kid" bounty hunter actor (sry don't know his name) and as usual the guy who did Commander Vako does a great job. The lady bounty hunter (Starbuck from BSG) really did a great job too, she really sold me on being a female bounty hunter in the universe of Riddick, and she delivered on just the right amount of humor and sexiness without making her entire part about being hot like some actresses in other movies do.

Everyone did a good job in the movie, the special effects were really nice, even though sometimes they could have been a "little" bit better, and all in all the Riddick storyline was moved along nicely even though there wasn't as much about Furya or what happens with the Necromonger fleet as I would have hoped for, but to be honest, the movie would have been "too busy" if they touched on all that, and the director has already stated that the next two movies in the series (and the last) will be focused on these plot lines to finish out the story of Riddick's character.

All in all, it was a great movie, and a REALLY great sci fi movie, in a market where getting a good sci movie is really really rare. I gave this movie a 10 here because I saw some really ignorant and biased negative reviews. I think this movie deserves at solid objective 8/10 and me as a Riddick fan I would give it a 9/10.
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    The Chronicles of Riddick was terrible, but this third installment breathes life back into everyone's favorite antihero. They do a good job of tying up the necromonger stupidity at the beginning, so it's out of the way, and to me, that's a very good thing. This is very much a back to the roots movie. Riddick is in his full element, on a hostile world where he defeats nasty monsters andThe Chronicles of Riddick was terrible, but this third installment breathes life back into everyone's favorite antihero. They do a good job of tying up the necromonger stupidity at the beginning, so it's out of the way, and to me, that's a very good thing. This is very much a back to the roots movie. Riddick is in his full element, on a hostile world where he defeats nasty monsters and makes his oppressors look like fools. But this movie even has more than one would expect of it. There's a happy ending :D It was excellent. It was full of macho stereotypes, but that's why one watches a Riddick movie. Richard B Riddick, escaped convict, murderer! ^_^ "

I found it more entertaining than most action flicks you put on. It's great to see Vin Diesel reprising his best character. Also, the dog was just an incredible idea and he really complemented Riddick's animal side. I wish we could have seen more of the intrepid zebra pooch.
  9. Feb 4, 2014
    A major plot hole turned this from a 7 to a 4. It's not a terrible movie if you don't mind a bit of cliche'd writing and a plot hole here and there. Otherwise, I'd stay clear of this one.
  10. Oct 24, 2013
    Awful sequel of an equally awful trilogy. The first movie 'Pitch Black'' was a kind of horror/sci-fi film, that got mediocre critics-and I agree, because it's a waste of time!!!!! Don't EVER try to watch this awful, terrible-with a lot of blood and nudity-film!!! Go somewhere else!!!
  11. Sep 29, 2013
    An absolute error. From start to finish, it's just awful. For this kind of movie, scenario isn't that important & the visuals are quite good BUT that's all. Acting is awful & the movie is taking itself too seriously at the beginning. 30 minutes of "Riddick vs Wild" followed by sheer stupidity.
  12. Sep 23, 2013
    I've seen the movie, and i think Riddick is trying to go back to the root, just like the pitch black. i love the concept, where Riddick abandoned and trying to survive. but the creatures... they are too easy to beat. kinda boring after we know that Riddick can beat them all. and the mercenaries, cmon... too much corny joke. from my opinion, the jokes kinda ruin the movie... but overall itsI've seen the movie, and i think Riddick is trying to go back to the root, just like the pitch black. i love the concept, where Riddick abandoned and trying to survive. but the creatures... they are too easy to beat. kinda boring after we know that Riddick can beat them all. and the mercenaries, cmon... too much corny joke. from my opinion, the jokes kinda ruin the movie... but overall its worth to watch Expand
  13. Oct 15, 2013
    I've watched this movie twice, Comes down to; could have been way better. Also way different, It was hysterically sad we called it pitch orange, or pitch black remake. Same names, all the difference is a dog
    they could probably make a Chronicles of dog, for the series, must have been small budget, along with bad script, 10 years in the making and they Chose to make Pitch Black again. Lol! wow they got me.
    Diesel Somebody boo him.
  14. Oct 20, 2013
    This is a Riddick movie. It's really hard to describe it past that except by saying it would be a better Alien Vs. Predator movie. It features Vin Diesel and is exactly what you expect in some ways and less so in others. If you see it just shut your brain off and have a good time. Even thinking about it won't bother you. There is a whole lot of silence when Riddick is just out doing hisThis is a Riddick movie. It's really hard to describe it past that except by saying it would be a better Alien Vs. Predator movie. It features Vin Diesel and is exactly what you expect in some ways and less so in others. If you see it just shut your brain off and have a good time. Even thinking about it won't bother you. There is a whole lot of silence when Riddick is just out doing his things but once more characters arrive there is some interesting dialogue. In general it is worth seeing but only really worth a rental unless you are a big Vin Diesel fan. Expand
  15. Dec 8, 2013
    A watchable movie, but far from being good. This movie brings the good background scenario of 'Pitch Black', and mixes it with a dose of anti-hero versus bounty hunters action and fails at combining them.

I like the main plot, its clever and could have worked well, it all makes sense, there's no big holes in it, considering of course that we are talking about a Riddick movie. But in the end, its only a good plot concept in the background composed of empty scenes that just lack in almost everything, dialogue, action, suspense, acting...

Plot 5
    Like I said before, a good solid concept that has everything to work, however, it fails on a scene by scene basis.

Cinematography 5
    Its hard to rate, it wasn't bad but it feels like it could be so much better.

Action 1
    Terrible even for Riddick standards, I wasn't expecting great action scenes but this is just too bad. In fact its like if this action scenes aren't even action scenes, Riddick comes out of an impossible nowhere all the time, just ridiculous and the bad guys look like they are hunting a deer, that's how careless and stupid they are. When fighting the predators its just a bunch of guns shooting and blades swinging, really really poor.

Scenario 9
    The planet where Riddick is left stranded looks stupendous, the colors, the landscape, stunning. The predators are well designed aswell.

Acting 3
    All actors failed to make me believe they were living that story. The characters they were supposed to be weren't also good which didn't help at all.

Special Effects 7
    Some details could be better.

A promising plot, poorly developed, in the end it feels like it could have been so much better, it's a shame really.
  16. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First Riddick not being able to recognize his own home planet and get screwed like that?
    I wont even comment on his fall from that rock.
    The thing about the lesbian asking him to do her... Pathetic. Its like Vin Diesel personally paid to get his ego polished.

The movie indeed had its good moments as well, but mostly it was just a kids movie.
    I loved the first 2 movies, but this is just not what I expected.
  17. Jan 15, 2014
    I wanted there to be more action in this movie. I like that there was survival in the movie. It has a good synopsis: a muscular most-wanted criminal is trapped on a desolate planet, and his only chance of escaping is survival. Riddick has to deal with swarms of violent creatures and bounty hunters.

The movie wasn't too long or too short, somewhere in the middle.
  18. Sep 6, 2013
    Wow, what a well crafted movie. My only critique is that I was hoping for an even more dramatic ending. If you liked Pitch Black but not Chronicles of Riddick, this is more like a direct sequel to the first movie, but don't worry, they acknowledge the continuity from Chronicles of Riddick very well. Karl Urban! Anyway, it was really good, not for younglings though. Good sci-fi. DieselWow, what a well crafted movie. My only critique is that I was hoping for an even more dramatic ending. If you liked Pitch Black but not Chronicles of Riddick, this is more like a direct sequel to the first movie, but don't worry, they acknowledge the continuity from Chronicles of Riddick very well. Karl Urban! Anyway, it was really good, not for younglings though. Good sci-fi. Diesel and his crew are clearly a devoted fan to Riddick and the genre. Expand
  19. Sep 6, 2013
    Great movie and don't mind what the critics say. They movie was a hardcore Sci-fi and action movie and the aliens in it were amazing. The planet they set it on was amazing looking and the story was even better.
  20. Sep 6, 2013
    Worse than I expected this movie is still awesome. I waited long time for it since Chronicles of Riddic. Chronicles was 10 from 10 to me, this movie is little not what I expected. Still, its full of action, full of space travels, full of baldness of Vin Diesel
  21. Sep 6, 2013
    I loved it. The CGI was purposeful and well executed (watched it at IMAX) and supported the storyline (really felt an emotional response towards all the creatures that Riddick meets).
    Vin Diesel put in a good performance, as did the rest of the crew (Katee Sackhoff kicks ass), and I loved the small plot twists that bring back the best Riddick moments but also expand the character with subtle emotional outbursts.
    One thing that really surprised me was how funny some scenes where while still keeping the characters and interactions plausible (I laughed out for those scenes, while being on the edge of my seat for most of the movie).
    Some scenes felt slightly too long, but the plot and interactions made common sense from start to finish.
    Hope it does well in cinemas and Vin Diesel is up for a sequel!
  22. Sep 7, 2013
    The critics are soooo wrong on this one it makes me laugh. This was better than Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, and just about any other movie Vin Diesel has made. Of all the summer blockbuster letdowns this was the only thing to deliver and I wasn't even expecting it to. This was hands down the best movie of 2013 so far.
  23. Sep 8, 2013
    Please ignore the critics, because they have lost their minds and are just out to ruin movies as of late.

If you watched and liked Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick then you will love this movie! Feels like they took the best of the two prior movies and melded it together. Had the sci-fi horror and the combat style from the second. I wish they did a little more for the

I wish they did a little more for the ending, but it left a great opening for the next Riddick movie to go anywhere they want plot wise.

I took my wife and a few of her friends to see the movie that normally don't like sci-fi movies and they really enjoyed it so do yourself a favor and go see it.
  24. Sep 11, 2013
    Riddick despite his B movie status is an iconic movie character and Vin Diesel is excellent as the titular hero but its a shame that director David Twohy decided to essentially remake Pitch Black for the third instalment of the semi popular franchise. The film follows what happens when Richard B Riddick (Diesel) is betrayed and left for dead on a planet filled with creatures trying to killRiddick despite his B movie status is an iconic movie character and Vin Diesel is excellent as the titular hero but its a shame that director David Twohy decided to essentially remake Pitch Black for the third instalment of the semi popular franchise. The film follows what happens when Richard B Riddick (Diesel) is betrayed and left for dead on a planet filled with creatures trying to kill him. He is forced to summon two ships of bounty hunters to the planet to find a way off world before a dangerous threat reaches him and the ships he has just called. While Pitch Black was more of an ensemble survival film, Riddick relies solely on the abilities of Diesel with a few fun side characters dotted about for good measure (a cameo by Karl Urban early in the film is a nice way of keeping the continuity of the disastrous Chronicles of Riddick.) For his part Diesel is excellent, an intense presence worthy of the character. The visuals are great for a film on a reduced budget and the world Riddick finds himself stranded on has much more personality than the one in Pitch Black. The film opens with a gripping 25 minutes of Riddick surviving and learning the rules of his new environment and while a man alone on a planet sounds boring, it is by far the best aspect of the film as it really gets to the core of the Riddick character as Diesel conveys so much of Riddick's thoughts through his facial expressions and actions. Light on dialogue and intense the first act is riveting stuff. Katee Sackhoff makes a welcome addition to the Riddick world as mercenary Dahl and Matt Gable shows up with an interesting link to Riddick's past that makes for an interesting new dynamic to a seemingly predictable affair. The ending while generic is exceptionally well realised and directed by Twohy with some beautiful shots depicting the desperate situation Riddick and the surviving mercenaries find themselves in. It's actually rather moving up until an obvious plot twist ruins it all. The film does have some clunky writing and some poor performances but Twohy is smart enough to kill them off early to avoid embarrassment. Ultimately its a nice return to this universe after the calamity that was the Chronicles of Riddick and if Twohy manages to maintain the enjoyable B movie cheese I will continue to watch this hit and miss series. Expand
  25. Jan 19, 2014
    Poorly written dialogue that bores you to tears, Special effects are so-so but get tiresome fast, Fight scenes are not that interesting. Yet despite all that, The true killer of this film isn't Riddick himself, It's the fact that it has a 2 hour run time. They easily could have told the story in an hour and a half and the fact that they have to needlessly drag it on really ruins the moviePoorly written dialogue that bores you to tears, Special effects are so-so but get tiresome fast, Fight scenes are not that interesting. Yet despite all that, The true killer of this film isn't Riddick himself, It's the fact that it has a 2 hour run time. They easily could have told the story in an hour and a half and the fact that they have to needlessly drag it on really ruins the movie in my opinion.

Unless you are an absolute die hard fan of the series, You will not want to bother with this film.
  26. Oct 21, 2013
    Basically a two hour music video. Rare dialogue and too much narration make this movie hard to watch. Was ready to leave after an hour.

Should be called Ridiculous Riddick for a largely unbelievable plot.
  27. Sep 9, 2013
    Awesome fun. If you like your comic book sci-fi and loved the original Riddick films, this won't disappoint. A worthy addition to the Riddick universe. I only wished it was longer. Hopefully the directors cut will add an extra scene or two. On the topic of the poor critical reception: it's a shame that critics don't know the market they are supposed to be critiquing for. Thankfully most ofAwesome fun. If you like your comic book sci-fi and loved the original Riddick films, this won't disappoint. A worthy addition to the Riddick universe. I only wished it was longer. Hopefully the directors cut will add an extra scene or two. On the topic of the poor critical reception: it's a shame that critics don't know the market they are supposed to be critiquing for. Thankfully most of us stopped paying attention to their pretentious bullsh1t ages ago. Expand
  28. Sep 14, 2013
    It's decent. Some of the ya right plot decisions were a little strange. I actually said "Yea Right!" out loud when the only lady on the planet decided to take a shower in the middle of an active mission involving her team. That of course caused a few shhh's from the people around me in the theater. Actually though overall it has the good vibe of the first Pitch Black and left behind theIt's decent. Some of the ya right plot decisions were a little strange. I actually said "Yea Right!" out loud when the only lady on the planet decided to take a shower in the middle of an active mission involving her team. That of course caused a few shhh's from the people around me in the theater. Actually though overall it has the good vibe of the first Pitch Black and left behind the convoluted mess that was Chronicles. For that alone I give it a go and hope for more squeals. Expand
  29. Sep 8, 2013
    Understanding what had to happen for this movie to come to be I am very happy. Vin placed his very home on the line to help fund the movie (why it may have not be as big and going to as many different locations as past movies). The fact that studios did not want to make another movie. However, the team pulled it off- its fun, action pack not to over the top and a little bit differentUnderstanding what had to happen for this movie to come to be I am very happy. Vin placed his very home on the line to help fund the movie (why it may have not be as big and going to as many different locations as past movies). The fact that studios did not want to make another movie. However, the team pulled it off- its fun, action pack not to over the top and a little bit different feel as well. I hope I will be able to see the final two movies they have plan to finish up the tale. Expand
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With the dramatic and somewhat confusing transformation into a messy and ridiculous Space-Epic with The Chronicles of Riddick following the release of the of the downscale low budget(by comparison) Pitch Black the Riddick franchise has been an odd one at best leaving many feeling confused. It would seem that, following the relatively positive reception of the first movie, the creators got the idea that the audience was hooked solely on the exploits of the character Riddick as opposed to the frightening scenarios and interesting setting that the movie provided and so the idea that they could spawn a massive space epic centered around that one character spawned and it was an idea that didn't do them any favors. The sequel flopped and Vin Diesel, who played the brutal yet now somewhat uninteresting hero, moved on to other projects.

Riddick sees the return of director David Twohy and Diesel himself in an attempt to take the series back to its more humble roots with a much lower budget to bring us the more downscale set pieces and a smaller cast, something which carries over from Pitch Black, as though this will repair the mistakes made by Chronicles on its own. Sadly it doesn't, while the movie is a significant improvement over one of its predecessors it proves to be the more mediocre one of the three with acting that is somewhat questionable at times and a script that leaves something to be desired with an array of bland lines that lack impact and feel flat(If you've seen the trailers you've already heard Jordi Miller's "I've come to collect your head in a box!" and already sort of know what I'm on about) and characters that are stereotyped and are left unexplored.

The movie does show some promise and times however and provide some entertainment with the first act focusing on Riddick surviving in the wilds of this new planet after being left for dead by the Necromongers that were introduced in the first movie. Riddick fashions spears, finds shelter and adopts a space-wolf in scenes that are entertaining and visually interesting, with some very attractive settings and creature designs. Then comes the second act in which Riddick faces off against two seperate groups of mercenaries. This act is much less interesting with generic and cheap looking action scenes that even the mildly humorous bounty hunter dialogue can't save. In the third and final act the film unashamedly tries to retread the steps of the original by introducing fearsome creatures that only come out when it's raining, a concept which seems to have been directly copied from the original Pitch Black script with only slight changes made.

All of this is concluded in a finale that seems sudden and abrupt and incredibly anticlimactic. That's not to say that the movie was building itself up for an explosive climax however; in fact the movie fails to increase tension entirely with only a little of the unpredictability of the first movie to help it along in the form of a single plot twist and one or two unexpected deaths.

The movie, as said before, is significantly better than Chronicles but despite its best attempts doesn't quite manage to be as interesting or entertaining as the original and it's evident that the Riddick, the title character himself, has become rather dull and uninteresting which is a shame after the debut which painted him as a true unpredictable killer of an antihero.

The movie is entertaining however and while it might not be worth a cinema trip or a DVD purchase it's certainly worth a rental if only to see that the it is possible to revive a franchise after such a major flop.

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    The movie jogs along nicely without ever getting a case of the stupids; far from being a bloated “John Carter,” it’s just a pared-down yarn of survival: “Die Hard” on a planet.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 16, 2013
    And that's it, really: two hours of loneliness, interleaved with havoc. The dialogue has been distilled to expletives and grunts. [16 Sept. 2013, p.74]
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Sep 9, 2013
    This is back-to-basics stuff, which turns out to be not such a bad idea.