7.2

1. Sep 6, 2013
    dont believe the critics. They are wrong as often. If u liked part 1 an 2 u will love part 3. Not an academy award candidate but a typical vin diesel riddick and highly entertaining. I luved the movie. go and watch it!
  2. Sep 6, 2013
    I saw this at the 8pm Premiere in RPX Regal Theaters. Firs toff, the uptight, liberal and politically correct critics are very wrong about this movie. He plays Riddick as Riddick has always been and it shows how wimpy a socidety we have become for this to "offend" so many delicate sensibilities. You can't go to a Riddick movie and fairly judge it if you are a "The Notebook," type ofI saw this at the 8pm Premiere in RPX Regal Theaters. Firs toff, the uptight, liberal and politically correct critics are very wrong about this movie. He plays Riddick as Riddick has always been and it shows how wimpy a socidety we have become for this to "offend" so many delicate sensibilities. You can't go to a Riddick movie and fairly judge it if you are a "The Notebook," type of person.

This is hardcore SCIFI(thankfully as it has been too long since we have had one), it is Adventure, Action, and even has a bit of comedy. I give it a 10 to offset the pathetic people slamming it because it has too much "machismo."

Put simply, if you enjoyed Pitch Black(especially) as this is more like that) and like the Riddick character, then do yourself a favor and go watch this! If you don't like exciting scenes with monsters, gratuitous violence, men acting like men(hey they even had PC scenes for the feminist crowd- a woman beats a guy down improbably several times, but he really deserved it.

So it is simply, if you like Pitch black, if you like horror, thrillers, scifi, and action then do yourself a favor and go see this. Don't listen to biased critics whose own reviews impeach themselves as being against this movie before they saw it.

I would give this an 8.5 btw and Pitch Black a 9.5 were it not for the horrible and FALSE reviews, so I gave it a 1.05+ to tr and even out these BS reviews.

Thanks to Metacritic though for allowing people to speak out when the critics unfairly target their hated genres/actors, or whatever political beliefs they have that remove all impartiality from their reviews and make it about feminism and such.

To me, this wasn't as good as Pitch Black, but it was GOOD. Remember this too, Vin put his own money on the line because he wanted his fans to have this movie.

A tip: this isn't a spoiler, but hopefully will save you some time: there is nothing after the credits so don't feel stupid like I did and sit there until the credits end. :)

SCIFI IS BACK BABY!!
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Wow, what a well crafted movie. My only critique is that I was hoping for an even more dramatic ending. If you liked Pitch Black but not Chronicles of Riddick, this is more like a direct sequel to the first movie, but don't worry, they acknowledge the continuity from Chronicles of Riddick very well. Karl Urban! Anyway, it was really good, not for younglings though. Good sci-fi. DieselWow, what a well crafted movie. My only critique is that I was hoping for an even more dramatic ending. If you liked Pitch Black but not Chronicles of Riddick, this is more like a direct sequel to the first movie, but don't worry, they acknowledge the continuity from Chronicles of Riddick very well. Karl Urban! Anyway, it was really good, not for younglings though. Good sci-fi. Diesel and his crew are clearly a devoted fan to Riddick and the genre. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2013
    I loved it. The CGI was purposeful and well executed (watched it at IMAX) and supported the storyline (really felt an emotional response towards all the creatures that Riddick meets).
    Vin Diesel put in a good performance, as did the rest of the crew (Katee Sackhoff kicks ass), and I loved the small plot twists that bring back the best Riddick moments but also expand the character with subtle emotional outbursts.
    One thing that really surprised me was how funny some scenes where while still keeping the characters and interactions plausible (I laughed out for those scenes, while being on the edge of my seat for most of the movie).
    Some scenes felt slightly too long, but the plot and interactions made common sense from start to finish.
    Hope it does well in cinemas and Vin Diesel is up for a sequel!
  5. Sep 6, 2013
    Worse than I expected this movie is still awesome. I waited long time for it since Chronicles of Riddic. Chronicles was 10 from 10 to me, this movie is little not what I expected. Still, its full of action, full of space travels, full of baldness of Vin Diesel
  6. Sep 6, 2013
    Great movie and don't mind what the critics say. They movie was a hardcore Sci-fi and action movie and the aliens in it were amazing. The planet they set it on was amazing looking and the story was even better.
  7. Sep 6, 2013
    It's a movie that takes a while to get it into gear. I mean it literally feels like 3 separate movies in one. But it definitely goes back to that "Pitch Black" vibe. While it's not the best movie ever. It's entertaining to check out.
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Despite some underwhelming adherences to stock sci-fi stories and characters, as well as moments of eye-rolling dialogue and a few indulgent character beats, Riddick offers a solid action-horror experience. A more experienced performance from Vin Diesel helps transition Riddick from an over-the-top action hero into a fully realized character that is actually capable of sustaining a qualityDespite some underwhelming adherences to stock sci-fi stories and characters, as well as moments of eye-rolling dialogue and a few indulgent character beats, Riddick offers a solid action-horror experience. A more experienced performance from Vin Diesel helps transition Riddick from an over-the-top action hero into a fully realized character that is actually capable of sustaining a quality film franchise. While longtime fans will surely enjoy seeing Riddick back on the big screen, the latest series installment should have no problem drawing in non-fans too not to mention set the stage for further chronicles of Richard B. Riddick Expand
  9. Sep 6, 2013
    Caution, if you don't like action, sci fi or any of the other Riddick movies, then your not going to like this. If you did, then this is a great follow up. Good pacing, good action, more then just the previews and good acting. Also, it was funny at times. Which was a pleasant surprise.
  10. Sep 11, 2013
    Riddick despite his B movie status is an iconic movie character and Vin Diesel is excellent as the titular hero but its a shame that director David Twohy decided to essentially remake Pitch Black for the third instalment of the semi popular franchise. The film follows what happens when Richard B Riddick (Diesel) is betrayed and left for dead on a planet filled with creatures trying to killRiddick despite his B movie status is an iconic movie character and Vin Diesel is excellent as the titular hero but its a shame that director David Twohy decided to essentially remake Pitch Black for the third instalment of the semi popular franchise. The film follows what happens when Richard B Riddick (Diesel) is betrayed and left for dead on a planet filled with creatures trying to kill him. He is forced to summon two ships of bounty hunters to the planet to find a way off world before a dangerous threat reaches him and the ships he has just called. While Pitch Black was more of an ensemble survival film, Riddick relies solely on the abilities of Diesel with a few fun side characters dotted about for good measure (a cameo by Karl Urban early in the film is a nice way of keeping the continuity of the disastrous Chronicles of Riddick.) For his part Diesel is excellent, an intense presence worthy of the character. The visuals are great for a film on a reduced budget and the world Riddick finds himself stranded on has much more personality than the one in Pitch Black. The film opens with a gripping 25 minutes of Riddick surviving and learning the rules of his new environment and while a man alone on a planet sounds boring, it is by far the best aspect of the film as it really gets to the core of the Riddick character as Diesel conveys so much of Riddick's thoughts through his facial expressions and actions. Light on dialogue and intense the first act is riveting stuff. Katee Sackhoff makes a welcome addition to the Riddick world as mercenary Dahl and Matt Gable shows up with an interesting link to Riddick's past that makes for an interesting new dynamic to a seemingly predictable affair. The ending while generic is exceptionally well realised and directed by Twohy with some beautiful shots depicting the desperate situation Riddick and the surviving mercenaries find themselves in. It's actually rather moving up until an obvious plot twist ruins it all. The film does have some clunky writing and some poor performances but Twohy is smart enough to kill them off early to avoid embarrassment. Ultimately its a nice return to this universe after the calamity that was the Chronicles of Riddick and if Twohy manages to maintain the enjoyable B movie cheese I will continue to watch this hit and miss series. Expand
  11. Sep 7, 2013
    The critics are soooo wrong on this one it makes me laugh. This was better than Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick, and just about any other movie Vin Diesel has made. Of all the summer blockbuster letdowns this was the only thing to deliver and I wasn't even expecting it to. This was hands down the best movie of 2013 so far.
  12. Sep 6, 2013
    A thrill ride from the start, that just doesn't quit. Looking for an entertaining time? You'll find it here with the third installment in the Riddick franchise. Vin Diesel is truly at his best as Riddick, and both him & Director David Twohy deliver the thrills and excitement of a kick ass rock concert from beginning to end. After waiting 9 long years now, It's really good to have you back,A thrill ride from the start, that just doesn't quit. Looking for an entertaining time? You'll find it here with the third installment in the Riddick franchise. Vin Diesel is truly at his best as Riddick, and both him & Director David Twohy deliver the thrills and excitement of a kick ass rock concert from beginning to end. After waiting 9 long years now, It's really good to have you back, Riddick. Let's just hope the next installment of the franchise will be a little closer to us than 9 years from now. A LOT closer. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    Thanks bin for making this movie! I thought it was awesome I love the screen time between jordi molla and sackoff molla was actually very funny!!! Minor spoiler: Some of his dialogue was awesome!!! I love the storyline how riddick has to find his animal side again because he got soft!!! The beginning was awesome I loved the whole movie!!! I hope it succeeds so vin can make many more ofThanks bin for making this movie! I thought it was awesome I love the screen time between jordi molla and sackoff molla was actually very funny!!! Minor spoiler: Some of his dialogue was awesome!!! I love the storyline how riddick has to find his animal side again because he got soft!!! The beginning was awesome I loved the whole movie!!! I hope it succeeds so vin can make many more of these. Thanks again vin for listening to the fans and being one of the best actors in Hollywood!!! I hope for many many more of these awesome awesome flicks!!! OMG the rated r rating was also awesome!!!! The gore was fantastic!!!!! Loved it!!! Expand
  14. Sep 7, 2013
    What can I say? If you like Riddick, you'll love this movie. Faithful to the character and the universe created by Vin Diesel and David Twohy with a great cast all around. Good work, guys!
  15. Sep 8, 2013
    Riddick is a good film for action, sci-fi and weapons but the story is just too silly and with way too many plot holes and errors that just didn't make sense to me combine that with the inconsistency of the plot and you just get a crummy result. Overall, you would watch it for all the fun violence and gore but don't expect too much from it.
  16. Sep 8, 2013
    Ignore the mainstream media reviews on this one. They are idiots to rate this so low. This goes along with Man of Steel as one of the year's best films. Entertaining throughout.
  17. Sep 8, 2013
    Please ignore the critics, because they have lost their minds and are just out to ruin movies as of late.

If you watched and liked Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick then you will love this movie! Feels like they took the best of the two prior movies and melded it together. Had the sci-fi horror and the combat style from the second. I wish they did a little more for the

I wish they did a little more for the ending, but it left a great opening for the next Riddick movie to go anywhere they want plot wise.

I took my wife and a few of her friends to see the movie that normally don't like sci-fi movies and they really enjoyed it so do yourself a favor and go see it.
  18. Sep 9, 2013
    My God this movie was awful. Where to start? The plot is a ripoff version of the original, the pacing is horrendous and the movie is overly long. The dialogue and writing are atrocious. The acting isn't memorable. The action is bad and so is the directing (canted angles constantly for no reason). Riddick as a character is weakling who gets beaten up constantly and has a puppy, A FREAKINGMy God this movie was awful. Where to start? The plot is a ripoff version of the original, the pacing is horrendous and the movie is overly long. The dialogue and writing are atrocious. The acting isn't memorable. The action is bad and so is the directing (canted angles constantly for no reason). Riddick as a character is weakling who gets beaten up constantly and has a puppy, A FREAKING PUPPY for no reason at all. It's like the people behind this movie had no idea what a Riddick movie even was!? Save your cash and time. Expand
  19. Sep 14, 2013
    Just awful no exceptions. Based on claims that this film would harken back to the original themes established in "Pitch Black," the casting of Katee Sackhoff (as well as the return of Karl Urban), and reviews on this site telling me to ignore the critics (hint: listen to the critics), I was hopeful. But the result was worse than disappointing. In fact, it was horrible. Karl Urban's roleJust awful no exceptions. Based on claims that this film would harken back to the original themes established in "Pitch Black," the casting of Katee Sackhoff (as well as the return of Karl Urban), and reviews on this site telling me to ignore the critics (hint: listen to the critics), I was hopeful. But the result was worse than disappointing. In fact, it was horrible. Karl Urban's role was reduced to a brief flashback set to establish the background of Riddick's heavy-handed survivalism on a graphics-poor planet of overly done CGI that seemed to come straight out of "Star Trek: The Next Generation." His "dingo-dongo" companion (yes, that's what they actually call the alien-dog-predator-thing that Riddick somehow manages to befriend) is an additionally poor attempt at child-like humor and in the end is less than endearing. Even Riddick's rumblings failed to make up for the non-terrifying, and certainly uninteresting, group of mercenaries that come to track the man down. What could have been a compelling dynamic between the mercenary Dahl (Katee Sackhoff) and Riddick boils down to a one-dimensional, unestablished, and implied sexual interest that never comes to fruition. Oh and let's just say that Sackhoff's character isn't exactly inclined towards someone of Riddick's masculine features, which only makes it doubly unbearable. Besides the Necromonger flashback, the only real attempt to tie in the plot of "Riddick" to previous films in the series involves a character so obscure that only ardent fans will understand the sub-plot. The most promising element of the film that actually did seem to recall "Pitch Black" was a creature that seemed to simultaneously evoke the bird-like terrors of that film and poorly plagiarize the xenomorph hordes of "Aliens." A missed opportunity to revitalize this franchise, "Riddick" is just a poor film. Expand
  20. Sep 16, 2013
    If you didn't like pitch black but liked chronicles of riddick, you might not be impressed by riddick.
    I loved the chronicles of riddick, all the unique races and cool set pieces.
    This movie seems like a rehashed pitch black, The whole movie felt like an anime filler where you know at the end nothing really matters. This whole movie dragged on while showed very few parts of him in
    I loved the chronicles of riddick, all the unique races and cool set pieces.
    This movie seems like a rehashed pitch black,
    This whole movie dragged on while showed very few parts of him in chronicles to explain that he gets betrayed "all in about 2 mins".
    I was really hoping for the chronicles side rather then pitch black side, and even then its not as good as pitch black.

Don't get me wrong its a good movie, its just not "chronicles good" its just a not as good pitch black.
  21. Sep 17, 2013
    Went to see this movie last night and came out with mixed feelings. The film splits into 2 sections; Rambo in space and a sort of antihero sided bounty hunt. There were aspects of the film that were enjoyable such as the colour palette, creatures and Riddicks' resourcefulness, but I just wish they could have found someone to look over the script who could write affecting dialogue as wasWent to see this movie last night and came out with mixed feelings. The film splits into 2 sections; Rambo in space and a sort of antihero sided bounty hunt. There were aspects of the film that were enjoyable such as the colour palette, creatures and Riddicks' resourcefulness, but I just wish they could have found someone to look over the script who could write affecting dialogue as was pretty simplistic which stopped any engagement with the supporting cast.

The other aspect that was disappointing was the pacing. The tempo in first section of the movie was slow but rewarding, but the section section was quite boring and unnecessary in places causing you to look around the theatre and disengage with the story.

I do not want to seem all down on this movie as it was brave, partially interesting and a different take on the action movie. The movie felt more independent than many Hollywood action movies I have seen but maybe lacked the pacing and payoffs we have all become used too.

I think this movie may benefit from a re-cut and if they were to do it again I would say speed up the survivor first half by 20%, cut out huge swathes of the repetitive second section and create a new jaw dropping ending.
  22. Sep 20, 2013
    The metascore of 48 is about 48 too high. In every way that Chronicles was great this one fails, and it fails miserably. Riddick can't even save this mess of a movie. The acting, the story are bad bad bad. Not even worth watching on rental.
  23. Sep 6, 2013
    The film doesn't come close to either of the other two, mainly because of the terrible dialogue, over reliance on cuss words and the bitter taste left by the sexist undertones being displayed towards the only female character. There's too much humor too, which detracts from the tension, and would be as bad if the jokes were actually funny instead of childish.
  24. Sep 7, 2013
    This is hands down, the best action movie of the last 3 years, and the best movie Vin Diesel has ever made. Sometimes I wonder what these so called "professional" movie critics are smoking. Even my wife who hates these movies was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end. Absolutely fantastic movie, and a brilliant addition to the Riddick story.
  25. Sep 8, 2013
    Understanding what had to happen for this movie to come to be I am very happy. Vin placed his very home on the line to help fund the movie (why it may have not be as big and going to as many different locations as past movies). The fact that studios did not want to make another movie. However, the team pulled it off- its fun, action pack not to over the top and a little bit differentUnderstanding what had to happen for this movie to come to be I am very happy. Vin placed his very home on the line to help fund the movie (why it may have not be as big and going to as many different locations as past movies). The fact that studios did not want to make another movie. However, the team pulled it off- its fun, action pack not to over the top and a little bit different feel as well. I hope I will be able to see the final two movies they have plan to finish up the tale. Expand
  26. Sep 9, 2013
    Awesome fun. If you like your comic book sci-fi and loved the original Riddick films, this won't disappoint. A worthy addition to the Riddick universe. I only wished it was longer. Hopefully the directors cut will add an extra scene or two. On the topic of the poor critical reception: it's a shame that critics don't know the market they are supposed to be critiquing for. Thankfully most ofAwesome fun. If you like your comic book sci-fi and loved the original Riddick films, this won't disappoint. A worthy addition to the Riddick universe. I only wished it was longer. Hopefully the directors cut will add an extra scene or two. On the topic of the poor critical reception: it's a shame that critics don't know the market they are supposed to be critiquing for. Thankfully most of us stopped paying attention to their pretentious bullsh1t ages ago. Expand
  27. Sep 10, 2013
    In this 2rd sequel, Vin Diesel is alone on a barren planet. First, he fends off an assortment of lethal alien animals, then 2 teams of bounty hunters land to provide human foes. It's like a reverse slasher flick: you're rooting for this seemingly superhuman slasher to dispatch the others one by one. The quality varies widely: some of the visuals scream fake, others are cool. The dialogueIn this 2rd sequel, Vin Diesel is alone on a barren planet. First, he fends off an assortment of lethal alien animals, then 2 teams of bounty hunters land to provide human foes. It's like a reverse slasher flick: you're rooting for this seemingly superhuman slasher to dispatch the others one by one. The quality varies widely: some of the visuals scream fake, others are cool. The dialogue is leaden and dumb, esp. with Diesel's gravelly tone. The action is plentiful, but not often special.
    Fans of the genre (or the star) may find it enjoyable.
  28. Sep 14, 2013
    It's decent. Some of the ya right plot decisions were a little strange. I actually said "Yea Right!" out loud when the only lady on the planet decided to take a shower in the middle of an active mission involving her team. That of course caused a few shhh's from the people around me in the theater. Actually though overall it has the good vibe of the first Pitch Black and left behind theIt's decent. Some of the ya right plot decisions were a little strange. I actually said "Yea Right!" out loud when the only lady on the planet decided to take a shower in the middle of an active mission involving her team. That of course caused a few shhh's from the people around me in the theater. Actually though overall it has the good vibe of the first Pitch Black and left behind the convoluted mess that was Chronicles. For that alone I give it a go and hope for more squeals. Expand
  29. Sep 29, 2013
    What a sham... I watched till the end just to see the level of disgrace V.D. was gonna fall to. I was wondering all the way whether the writer-director enjoyed what he did. I'm not going to give away spoilers, because "Riddick" producers did everything to already spoil everything they could, but ANY schoolboy would've come up with a much better plot devices, witty lines, action scenes.What a sham... I watched till the end just to see the level of disgrace V.D. was gonna fall to. I was wondering all the way whether the writer-director enjoyed what he did. I'm not going to give away spoilers, because "Riddick" producers did everything to already spoil everything they could, but ANY schoolboy would've come up with a much better plot devices, witty lines, action scenes. There is no fun, there is no action, it's pretentious and BORING. The highest point of the story is killing the ugly doggy. (facepalm...)
    As for exalting reviews well, it's because of that false enthusiasm we're getting lousy, phoney movies in spades. Studios don't have to worry about illegal downloading anymore, 'cause there is nothing to download these days, let alone buy some.
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With the dramatic and somewhat confusing transformation into a messy and ridiculous Space-Epic with The Chronicles of Riddick following the release of the of the downscale low budget(by comparison) Pitch Black the Riddick franchise has been an odd one at best leaving many feeling confused. It would seem that, following the relatively positive reception of the first movie, the creators got the idea that the audience was hooked solely on the exploits of the character Riddick as opposed to the frightening scenarios and interesting setting that the movie provided and so the idea that they could spawn a massive space epic centered around that one character spawned and it was an idea that didn't do them any favors. The sequel flopped and Vin Diesel, who played the brutal yet now somewhat uninteresting hero, moved on to other projects.

Riddick sees the return of director David Twohy and Diesel himself in an attempt to take the series back to its more humble roots with a much lower budget to bring us the more downscale set pieces and a smaller cast, something which carries over from Pitch Black, as though this will repair the mistakes made by Chronicles on its own. Sadly it doesn't, while the movie is a significant improvement over one of its predecessors it proves to be the more mediocre one of the three with acting that is somewhat questionable at times and a script that leaves something to be desired with an array of bland lines that lack impact and feel flat(If you've seen the trailers you've already heard Jordi Miller's "I've come to collect your head in a box!" and already sort of know what I'm on about) and characters that are stereotyped and are left unexplored.

The movie does show some promise and times however and provide some entertainment with the first act focusing on Riddick surviving in the wilds of this new planet after being left for dead by the Necromongers that were introduced in the first movie. Riddick fashions spears, finds shelter and adopts a space-wolf in scenes that are entertaining and visually interesting, with some very attractive settings and creature designs. Then comes the second act in which Riddick faces off against two seperate groups of mercenaries. This act is much less interesting with generic and cheap looking action scenes that even the mildly humorous bounty hunter dialogue can't save. In the third and final act the film unashamedly tries to retread the steps of the original by introducing fearsome creatures that only come out when it's raining, a concept which seems to have been directly copied from the original Pitch Black script with only slight changes made.

All of this is concluded in a finale that seems sudden and abrupt and incredibly anticlimactic. That's not to say that the movie was building itself up for an explosive climax however; in fact the movie fails to increase tension entirely with only a little of the unpredictability of the first movie to help it along in the form of a single plot twist and one or two unexpected deaths.

The movie, as said before, is significantly better than Chronicles but despite its best attempts doesn't quite manage to be as interesting or entertaining as the original and it's evident that the Riddick, the title character himself, has become rather dull and uninteresting which is a shame after the debut which painted him as a true unpredictable killer of an antihero.

The movie is entertaining however and while it might not be worth a cinema trip or a DVD purchase it's certainly worth a rental if only to see that the it is possible to revive a franchise after such a major flop.
  31. Oct 21, 2013
    Basically a two hour music video. Rare dialogue and too much narration make this movie hard to watch. Was ready to leave after an hour.

Should be called Ridiculous Riddick for a largely unbelievable plot.
  32. Dec 18, 2013
    Utter nonsense.
    The writers cobbled this together on the way to work.
    I wasted two hours of my life watching this tripe.
    Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-Avoid-
  33. Jan 19, 2014
    Poorly written dialogue that bores you to tears, Special effects are so-so but get tiresome fast, Fight scenes are not that interesting. Yet despite all that, The true killer of this film isn't Riddick himself, It's the fact that it has a 2 hour run time. They easily could have told the story in an hour and a half and the fact that they have to needlessly drag it on really ruins the moviePoorly written dialogue that bores you to tears, Special effects are so-so but get tiresome fast, Fight scenes are not that interesting. Yet despite all that, The true killer of this film isn't Riddick himself, It's the fact that it has a 2 hour run time. They easily could have told the story in an hour and a half and the fact that they have to needlessly drag it on really ruins the movie in my opinion.

Unless you are an absolute die hard fan of the series, You will not want to bother with this film.
  34. Sep 7, 2013
    The film was mediocre at most points, it can be best described as a less entertaining version of Pitch Black, how ever since Pitch Black was enjoyable this film has its good points with some moments of action. However the story was shallow and predictable, with a disappointing ending.
    In all the film try to recreate what was good about the first, but fell short of that.
  35. Sep 7, 2013
    With Vin Diesel's subtly intimidating performance at the film's center and an provocatively structured narrative, "Riddick" ultimately fulfills itself as a thrilling action flick with some entertaining sci-fi elements in tow.
  36. Sep 8, 2013
    Are people really ignoring the horendous acting and dialogue? Come on this movie has some of the worst acting I've seen since birdemic or the room. The CGI looks like something out of the early 2000s, the plot was telagraphed and it felt like it was made just because Diesel needed another paycheck
  37. Sep 8, 2013
    Riddick is all right. It boasts what is probably the worst AAA hollywood script of 2013, and all the acting except Vin Diesel is really weak. It's moderately entertaining but overall really isn't worth the money.. even remotely. Wait for the good movies coming out over the next 8 weeks.
  38. Sep 9, 2013
    Meh! Looks like a boring remake of the very good 'Pitch Black'. The story is quite boring, characters are both flat and idiotic. Not to forget is the toal lack of a true ending (what is presented in the first scenes is never resolved in the story)
  39. Sep 9, 2013
    This is Riddick at his finest: not great overarching story, no epic space battles, no inexplicable super powers (unless ass-kickery is a superpower in which case 'game on') people who liked 'Pitch Black' will be thrilled.
  40. Sep 9, 2013
    Not as good as Chronicles (which is under appreciated I think there is a version out there that doesn't contain critical information) but I enjoyed it and hope they will make another one. He still needs to find his birthplace.
  41. Sep 10, 2013
    Saw the new Riddick last night, thought it was enjoyable to say the least!! The critic's hated on it, but the users are right on par. Not the best of the franchise, but a solid movie with with solid action. The supporting cast could have been filled out with a fewer stars, but DIEGO!!! was a nice touch. He's always good for a wacked out bad guy lol. See the movie, enjoy the movie, and takeSaw the new Riddick last night, thought it was enjoyable to say the least!! The critic's hated on it, but the users are right on par. Not the best of the franchise, but a solid movie with with solid action. The supporting cast could have been filled out with a fewer stars, but DIEGO!!! was a nice touch. He's always good for a wacked out bad guy lol. See the movie, enjoy the movie, and take it for what it is... a vin diesel action flick, better the XXX but worse the Pitch Black! Expand
  42. Sep 11, 2013
    In a throwback to Pitch Black lore, Riddick regains some of its sci-fi tension and although is not as incredibly colossal as some action movie recently, it's a decent action thrill with proven traditional approach. Once again Riddick finds himself in a strange realm chased by hunters, both humans and beasts. The premise is set so similarly after Pitch Black, down to some of itsIn a throwback to Pitch Black lore, Riddick regains some of its sci-fi tension and although is not as incredibly colossal as some action movie recently, it's a decent action thrill with proven traditional approach. Once again Riddick finds himself in a strange realm chased by hunters, both humans and beasts. The premise is set so similarly after Pitch Black, down to some of its stereotypical characters, I couldn't help the surging feel of deja vu as I watched it. The simpler theme, for most and better part, works well for dark action Riddick is known for.

Vin Diesel returns to his old fugitive character after a while, it's a good direction not to portray Riddick as constantly overwhelmingly hero. He's vulnerable at some points and relies on his predatory stealth skill instead of sheer brute force. The highlights of the movie is when he tinkers with the mercenaries and outwits them with trickery. He is presentable as hazard to other human beings and built like the part as well. However, the acting might stumble a bit as Riddick barely registers emotion aside from taunting grin or low pitch grunt.

As for the incoming threat of monsters, it may be hit-and-miss. These creatures don't have the presence of the old photophobia beasts from Pitch Black, and appearance-wise a bit too generic. CG for them is acceptable, especially for the space dog for Riddick's companion. Action goes smoothly even if there are segments that look awkward. The use of lightning and color dye fit the atmosphere of dry hostile planet, scenes in the dark are meticulously done as they are still coherent and focused. I personally dislike the habit it does with shining the flashlight straight into the audience though.

Cast is wildly brash. Most of these characters might be offensive or irritating, as the mercenaries are supposed to, but the script doesn't really help adding personality into them. Everyone is one dimensional as they come, from the erratic merc leader, the more sophisticated merc leader, the usual henchmen merc and one sexy merc. If you have seen the trailer, these people will act as expected as that thirty second shows. For depth and characters, I'd say the original Pitch Black has more likeable ones, at the very least more tolerable.

Riddick is old school sci-fi action, it doesn't use flamboyant CG and rightly so, since the appeal is the larger than live legend Riddick has. The ending might slightly underwhelming and it is placed in more niche category compared to the recent Pacific Rim or Star Trek, nevertheless it's still an enjoyable foray to the dark realm which its claims victim one at a time.
  43. Sep 11, 2013
    I was actually surprised. I mean, I knew it was going to be great, I love the Riddicks and it's universe, but the trailer was only showing an ok movie with good effects and common story. I must say they did a really good jobs on the concept art, the effects, and even the story and the characters (for this kind of movie). It is far more than a fan movie and definitely better than the secondI was actually surprised. I mean, I knew it was going to be great, I love the Riddicks and it's universe, but the trailer was only showing an ok movie with good effects and common story. I must say they did a really good jobs on the concept art, the effects, and even the story and the characters (for this kind of movie). It is far more than a fan movie and definitely better than the second one. Go watch it if you like scifi and action, its definitely worth it.

I don't know where the critics are from (probably not from our generation), but it feels like they go watch a kind of movie they know they don't like and then write a bad review. It's not objective at all.
  44. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was not at all wat I expected. The first part is very slow, with silly moments between Riddick and his new puppy, that remind me more "The Pacifier" movie than The chronicles of Riddick or Pitch Black. The character in the first part of the movie has lost almost completely his sharpness, his "badassness". He has been depicted as a weak man lost in an unfriendly planet, and it is not clear where the story is heading to. The second part of the movie saves it all, with more action and finally with almost the same charismatic character we are used to know and the story takes finally off. I give this movie a 7 because the second half of the movie is really good and unveils all the smoky reasons for which this time Riddick has been hunted by one of the bounty hunters, but more than a full "7" I'd give this movie a 6,7 rating. Expand
  45. Sep 12, 2013
    When I heard that Vin Diesel funded the whole film with his own money, I felt that he was the only one wanting to continue the Chronicles of Riddick. The newest film out of the trio features Richard B. Riddick, who we follow as he is being hunted by the "dead Riddick" team.

The movie took so many different turns that I wasn't quite sure what genre film it was. From thriller, to drama, to science fiction, Riddick definitely appealed to a large audience, especially with its PG-13 rating. With so much potential in the film, it seemed to me that director David Twohy did the least of his directing abilities to quickly make a "sloppy" film. He made it in such a way that it was part of the series, but it easily could've been a standalone film.

The first half of the movie was completely useless and left me bored stiff. There’s a presentation etiquette skill saying to always start with something engaging to put the viewers in the right mood. Riddick did the absolute opposite. After a good 40 minutes of basically no one saying a word on the screen, I was about ready to feel I wasted both my time and money, when the film suddenly picked up. I recognized that all of the little sea monster critters seemed like a bad rip off of the sea monsters in Prometheus.

A lot of the movie was quite predictable, especially when Riddick would be hiding somewhere. It was easy to know that he was somewhere in the scene, and the camera would pan to a corner where he would be, which bugged the crap out of me. A lot of other film critics tended to disagree with me on my harsh comments, saying "how good it was," but it really did nothing for me.
    The last 35 minutes or so were entertaining, and I thought that overall Vin Diesel did a good job in the main role. There was one scene that impressed me, when Riddick was chained and flipped a knife in the air, kicked it, and cut a man’s head off. That was probably the only thing that was original for me.

Whatever, I won't remember the movie in a week, but that head scene will be what is shared with some friends tomorrow. I think that if you’re a fan of the other two (painful to watch) films in the series, definitely go see Riddick to get your full fill of Vin Diesel's movie (in IMAX 3D). Other than that, I was truly disappointed with the film, and for sure won't be recommending it. But still, that head scene was cool!
  46. Sep 13, 2013
    Riddick was a good movie and an interesting installment to the "franchise". I put quotes around it because these movies haven't really connected all that well. In fact, they've almost been more of stand alone films than anything. Vin Diesel was a B.A. as usual and the rest of the cast was solid. The overall feel of the movie didn't quite meet that Pitch Black vibe that was so special butRiddick was a good movie and an interesting installment to the "franchise". I put quotes around it because these movies haven't really connected all that well. In fact, they've almost been more of stand alone films than anything. Vin Diesel was a B.A. as usual and the rest of the cast was solid. The overall feel of the movie didn't quite meet that Pitch Black vibe that was so special but it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie like Chronicles did. There's not much else to say other than it was just a good movie that doesn't quite reach that epic feel. There's that same situational dialogue humor that has been in both of the prior films and some really cool fight scenes. The entertainment value is pretty high but it doesn't feel like much progress was made towards any real story arc, which is probably it's biggest fall back for me. Expand
  47. Sep 19, 2013
    Just when I thought that Man or Steel had disappointed me, Riddick delivered a new level of disappointment.
    My first yawn was in the first 10 minutes of the movie and after that things were getting better though I was still yawning.
    Please believe me when I say that I really want to like this movie since I like the previous two movies. But I just can't. Everything seems wrong:: the
    But I just can't. Everything seems wrong:: the effects, the plots, the characters and God-knows-what-else.

Don't waste your time watching it. Just 're-watch the first two movies and you'll be safe.
  48. Sep 20, 2013
    Third installment of Riddick is obviously inferior to previous. It has a good start, but than it became lackluster, unambitious fiction story with predictable ending! It slightly above average
  49. Sep 23, 2013
    I've seen the movie, and i think Riddick is trying to go back to the root, just like the pitch black. i love the concept, where Riddick abandoned and trying to survive. but the creatures... they are too easy to beat. kinda boring after we know that Riddick can beat them all. and the mercenaries, cmon... too much corny joke. from my opinion, the jokes kinda ruin the movie... but overall itsI've seen the movie, and i think Riddick is trying to go back to the root, just like the pitch black. i love the concept, where Riddick abandoned and trying to survive. but the creatures... they are too easy to beat. kinda boring after we know that Riddick can beat them all. and the mercenaries, cmon... too much corny joke. from my opinion, the jokes kinda ruin the movie... but overall its worth to watch Expand
  50. Sep 29, 2013
    An absolute error. From start to finish, it's just awful. For this kind of movie, scenario isn't that important & the visuals are quite good BUT that's all. Acting is awful & the movie is taking itself too seriously at the beginning. 30 minutes of "Riddick vs Wild" followed by sheer stupidity.
  51. Oct 15, 2013
    I've watched this movie twice, Comes down to; could have been way better. Also way different, It was hysterically sad we called it pitch orange, or pitch black remake. Same names, all the difference is a dog
    they could probably make a Chronicles of dog, for the series, must have been small budget, along with bad script, 10 years in the making and they Chose to make Pitch Black again. Lol! wow they got me.
    Diesel Somebody boo him.
  52. Oct 20, 2013
    This is a Riddick movie. It's really hard to describe it past that except by saying it would be a better Alien Vs. Predator movie. It features Vin Diesel and is exactly what you expect in some ways and less so in others. If you see it just shut your brain off and have a good time. Even thinking about it won't bother you. There is a whole lot of silence when Riddick is just out doing hisThis is a Riddick movie. It's really hard to describe it past that except by saying it would be a better Alien Vs. Predator movie. It features Vin Diesel and is exactly what you expect in some ways and less so in others. If you see it just shut your brain off and have a good time. Even thinking about it won't bother you. There is a whole lot of silence when Riddick is just out doing his things but once more characters arrive there is some interesting dialogue. In general it is worth seeing but only really worth a rental unless you are a big Vin Diesel fan. Expand
  53. Oct 24, 2013
    Awful sequel of an equally awful trilogy. The first movie 'Pitch Black'' was a kind of horror/sci-fi film, that got mediocre critics-and I agree, because it's a waste of time!!!!! Don't EVER try to watch this awful, terrible-with a lot of blood and nudity-film!!! Go somewhere else!!!
  54. Dec 8, 2013
    A watchable movie, but far from being good. This movie brings the good background scenario of 'Pitch Black', and mixes it with a dose of anti-hero versus bounty hunters action and fails at combining them.

I like the main plot, its clever and could have worked well, it all makes sense, there's no big holes in it, considering of course that we are talking about a Riddick movie. But in the end, its only a good plot concept in the background composed of empty scenes that just lack in almost everything, dialogue, action, suspense, acting...

Plot 5
    Like I said before, a good solid concept that has everything to work, however, it fails on a scene by scene basis.

Cinematography 5
    Its hard to rate, it wasn't bad but it feels like it could be so much better.

Action 1
    Terrible even for Riddick standards, I wasn't expecting great action scenes but this is just too bad. In fact its like if this action scenes aren't even action scenes, Riddick comes out of an impossible nowhere all the time, just ridiculous and the bad guys look like they are hunting a deer, that's how careless and stupid they are. When fighting the predators its just a bunch of guns shooting and blades swinging, really really poor.

Scenario 9
    The planet where Riddick is left stranded looks stupendous, the colors, the landscape, stunning. The predators are well designed aswell.

Acting 3
    All actors failed to make me believe they were living that story. The characters they were supposed to be weren't also good which didn't help at all.

Special Effects 7
    Some details could be better.

A promising plot, poorly developed, in the end it feels like it could have been so much better, it's a shame really.
  55. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First Riddick not being able to recognize his own home planet and get screwed like that?
    I wont even comment on his fall from that rock.
    The thing about the lesbian asking him to do her... Pathetic. Its like Vin Diesel personally paid to get his ego polished.

The movie indeed had its good moments as well, but mostly it was just a kids movie.
    I loved the first 2 movies, but this is just not what I expected.
  56. Jan 1, 2014
    Don't understand the people or critics who blasted this movie. I've watched and loved pitch black and Chronicles of Riddick and Dark Athena, and to tell you the truth something was telling me that this movie was going to suck, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

The movie is definitely great, Vin Diesel does an as usual excellent job of portraying the silent gritty killer Riddick, the movie has a lot of action, is "believable" (in the context of the movie universe) and has good supporting roles by actors that are relatively uknown (except for the lady that plays starbuck on Battlestar Galactica and the guy who did Dredd, he's "Commander Vako" in the movie.

I particularly liked the "new kid" bounty hunter actor (sry don't know his name) and as usual the guy who did Commander Vako does a great job. The lady bounty hunter (Starbuck from BSG) really did a great job too, she really sold me on being a female bounty hunter in the universe of Riddick, and she delivered on just the right amount of humor and sexiness without making her entire part about being hot like some actresses in other movies do.

Everyone did a good job in the movie, the special effects were really nice, even though sometimes they could have been a "little" bit better, and all in all the Riddick storyline was moved along nicely even though there wasn't as much about Furya or what happens with the Necromonger fleet as I would have hoped for, but to be honest, the movie would have been "too busy" if they touched on all that, and the director has already stated that the next two movies in the series (and the last) will be focused on these plot lines to finish out the story of Riddick's character.

All in all, it was a great movie, and a REALLY great sci fi movie, in a market where getting a good sci movie is really really rare. I gave this movie a 10 here because I saw some really ignorant and biased negative reviews. I think this movie deserves at solid objective 8/10 and me as a Riddick fan I would give it a 9/10.
  57. Jan 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love the character Riddick but sadly I dont think this film done justice. The start of the movie looked hopeful with being on some deserted world hoping to be in search of fuyron, where he is from but just ended up being a hunt for Riddick and monsters.. Nothing new at all... And really I didn't think it was that great either.

I hope they expand on the story of him finding his home world fuyra with Falco because that is where I think the story should have gone. They could really make an epic epic movie with this character but their not. This character could have been so much. Lets see what happens..
  58. Jan 15, 2014
    I wanted there to be more action in this movie. I like that there was survival in the movie. It has a good synopsis: a muscular most-wanted criminal is trapped on a desolate planet, and his only chance of escaping is survival. Riddick has to deal with swarms of violent creatures and bounty hunters.

The movie wasn't too long or too short, somewhere in the middle.
  59. Feb 4, 2014
    A major plot hole turned this from a 7 to a 4. It's not a terrible movie if you don't mind a bit of cliche'd writing and a plot hole here and there. Otherwise, I'd stay clear of this one.
  60. Feb 14, 2014
    It's not always the smartest, there are a lot of eye rolling cheesy moments and dialog, but it's still a very fun and action packed sci-fi movie. Diesel nails it as the cocky bad-a*s Riddick, and the rest of the cast is also entertaining. Considering all the crap that sci-fi movies have been lately, it's nice to see one that is just a lot of fun. I can't compare it to the originals, but IIt's not always the smartest, there are a lot of eye rolling cheesy moments and dialog, but it's still a very fun and action packed sci-fi movie. Diesel nails it as the cocky bad-a*s Riddick, and the rest of the cast is also entertaining. Considering all the crap that sci-fi movies have been lately, it's nice to see one that is just a lot of fun. I can't compare it to the originals, but I can say this latest "Riddick" movie was a lot of fun, at least in my opinion. So go ahead and give it a shot. I think you'll find it worth your time. Expand
  61. Mar 31, 2014
    The Chronicles of Riddick was terrible, but this third installment breathes life back into everyone's favorite antihero. They do a good job of tying up the necromonger stupidity at the beginning, so it's out of the way, and to me, that's a very good thing. This is very much a back to the roots movie. Riddick is in his full element, on a hostile world where he defeats nasty monsters andThe Chronicles of Riddick was terrible, but this third installment breathes life back into everyone's favorite antihero. They do a good job of tying up the necromonger stupidity at the beginning, so it's out of the way, and to me, that's a very good thing. This is very much a back to the roots movie. Riddick is in his full element, on a hostile world where he defeats nasty monsters and makes his oppressors look like fools. But this movie even has more than one would expect of it. There's a happy ending :D It was excellent. It was full of macho stereotypes, but that's why one watches a Riddick movie. Richard B Riddick, escaped convict, murderer! ^_^ "

I found it more entertaining than most action flicks you put on. It's great to see Vin Diesel reprising his best character. Also, the dog was just an incredible idea and he really complemented Riddick's animal side. I wish we could have seen more of the intrepid zebra pooch.
  62. Sep 8, 2013
    I thought it was very well written, with more of the classic BA Riddick. Hope they make another one. I love the Riddick series. Maybe not academy award type stuff, but Vin plays Riddick so good. Total badass.
  63. Sep 11, 2013
    Awesome movie. I wont go into to much detail but I really enjoyed it, I thought it might be just another pitch black and I'm not the biggest Riddick follower, but it really plays into the Riddick Series. I'd recommended watching it and I hope we get another!
  64. Sep 11, 2013
    Fun and funny, this movie was overflowing with all the badass goodness you've come to appreciate about Riddick. If you didn't like either of the previous films, then by all means, don't waste your time or anyone else's. However, if you can appreciate the overwhelming badass scifi machismo that is Riddick, then don't delay and get to the theaters, NOW.
  65. Sep 11, 2013
    This is a blast, up there with the best scifi's over the last few years. The story was solid and the directing was tight. Cast was perfect, and the cgi is right up there. Thoroughly enjoyed this latest Riddick outing, keep making them!
  66. Sep 13, 2013
    This movie is being treated cruelly by critics; how can one compare it to a "Sci-Fi Die Hard" and proceed to give it a 5/10 utterly ridiculous. If you like action (that's likely) then you'll like this.
  67. Sep 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. The best film I have seen in ages. Proper sci-fi. Loved all the characters. This is very much 3 films in 1. First is an I am Legend survival affair, second Riddick turns predator. The 3rd bit was Pitch Black all over again, but thats what I came to see. Collapse
  68. Sep 17, 2013
    had my attention for the whole movie, so i was entertained so i got value for money. i'm excited because it leaves the door open to find the planet furia, so Vin get to WORK i want to see the next one. Really this type of movie is Sci fi meets alien monsters kill everybody and still be a hero, it aint no great grasby crap.
  69. Sep 18, 2013
    This easily could be a stand alone film. My grandmother she normally doesn't really go for movies like this but she did and was thoroughly please by it. Also she never watched the first two she went in totally blind. I'll be buying this one.
  70. Sep 21, 2013
    Of course, Riddick is a good movie. At the beginning this film shows a very good fight for survival, after excellent action scenes, and at last good ending. Not ideal, but very excellent continuation of story of famous and charismatic space prisoner.
  71. Sep 22, 2013
    I'm glad that this is more like a sequel to "Pitch Black" rather than a "The Riddick Chronicles", it has references to both, but the whole concept is much more close to the first movie it's a sci-fi thriller. All the story happens in one location (the creators refused the epicness of the previous movie, there is no planetary demolitions and universal wars, there is no ghost-ladies andI'm glad that this is more like a sequel to "Pitch Black" rather than a "The Riddick Chronicles", it has references to both, but the whole concept is much more close to the first movie it's a sci-fi thriller. All the story happens in one location (the creators refused the epicness of the previous movie, there is no planetary demolitions and universal wars, there is no ghost-ladies and other unnecessary and shallow characters) and this is a story about Riddick and the mercenaries trying to catch him. The other good thing is the movie became more mature and violent, it just looks more serious. Hopefully, if there will be another sequel, it will continue being a sci-fi thriller, not a sci-fi fantasy. Expand
  72. Sep 23, 2013
    Three of us went to see this in the theater and we all had the same reaction: "It was better than we thought it would be." Take one part Pitch Black, one part Chronicles of Riddick and throw in one part of new stuff and you get a decent third installment in the Riddick franchise. If you liked either of the first two movies you will enjoy this one. Enough said.
  73. Sep 23, 2013
    I liked this movie just enough to recommend it. It loses some points for originality as it was essentially the same movie as Pitch Black. Also, some of the special effects were not quite up to par, especially the pet dog, which sometimes didn't have natural looking movements. There is also some hokey sounding dialogue throughout and some acting that isn't up to par. Still, the movieI liked this movie just enough to recommend it. It loses some points for originality as it was essentially the same movie as Pitch Black. Also, some of the special effects were not quite up to par, especially the pet dog, which sometimes didn't have natural looking movements. There is also some hokey sounding dialogue throughout and some acting that isn't up to par. Still, the movie was never boring for me and always enjoy Vin Diesel as Riddick. Expand
  74. Sep 23, 2013
    Did you love Pitch Black and enjoy The Chronicles of Riddick? If you did, you will love Riddick. It's got tons of action, good suspense and wacky dialogue. It's not perfect, but for it is well done in an era where 30 million for a movie is considered low-budget. Bottom line: Give it a chance.
  75. Sep 24, 2013
    Initially I wanted to write this off. I wasn't a huge fan of Pitch Black (PB) and Chronicles of Riddick (CoR) but I wanted to like this film. But then I heard from people that have already seen this and seemed to love it. But I didn't want to be swayed by popular opinion and thought I'd see it for myself. I had no expectations when entering the cinema.

As the credit began I came to the

As the credit began I came to the conclusion this is not as good as PB and better than CoR. The first act was the best of the whole film where we see Riddick surviving and thriving. Along with back story on how he got there. Comparing this to the second and third act I wanted more of act one. The reason is as the film progress is becomes less enjoyable because the mercenaries were just not believable and their dialogue was poor. Also the way these mercs go about their business is just laughable, like children being given guns and told to go play.

The serious tone of this film present until the mercs arrive is completely undone by not just their antics, but how Riddick goes about his. I won't spoil anything but the method he goes about his business doesn't make sense. You'll know what I mean as the film enters it's third act.

I really didn't care about any of the characters either. Not one of them is worth it and seeing them die evokes no response. They are all just cannon fodder after all.

No spoilers but the ending is a let down and bad.

It passes as enjoyable and entertaining
  76. Sep 24, 2013
    this was a very entertaining and enjoyable movie. especially loved the humor, but the entire setting and atmosphere was great too, just how a movie like this should be. recommended!
  77. Sep 24, 2013
    After 'Chronicles' Riddick returns to the origins of the series with a smaller, more minimalistic film with fewer characters and more direct interaction. We get a new kind of monster and night gets swapped for day (mostly). 2 teams of bounty hunters come after Riddick's head and get caught in a game of cat (Riddick) and mouse (Poor Bountyhunters). The movie has quite nice visuals andAfter 'Chronicles' Riddick returns to the origins of the series with a smaller, more minimalistic film with fewer characters and more direct interaction. We get a new kind of monster and night gets swapped for day (mostly). 2 teams of bounty hunters come after Riddick's head and get caught in a game of cat (Riddick) and mouse (Poor Bountyhunters). The movie has quite nice visuals and decent effects considering the moddest 38m$ budget. It's a good film but it can't match Pitch Black in quality or atmosphere. Considering the lack of boxoffice success it will probably be the last in the series... Expand
  78. Sep 28, 2013
    Riddick was a excellent sci-fi action thriller flim from director david twohy. i saw this on saturday september 21 with my dad it was good movie except their is nudity in the movie which was disturbing, but i did like the aliens in action in the movie.
  79. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The bleak yellow panorama of an arid alien landscape heralds the opening of Riddick, narration courtesy of Vin Diesel’s resonating baritone, a rumble so deep that at times, you can barely understand what he’s saying. A hand protrudes from rubble, drawing the curiosity of a circling vulture, dramatically strangled as Diesel punches through the surface to begin his latest outing as the space faring mercenary known as Riddick.

This is the third reunion of producer/star Vin Diesel and writer/director David Twohy. Diesel’s clearly a sucker for his sci-fi and fantasy: aside from writing the foreword to Dungeons & Dragons retrospectives, one of the reasons he agrees to keep making new instalments for the Fast & Furious franchise is for the rights to keep making Riddick films. Twohy meanwhile spends years at a time honing the script, with all the overblown action lingo he can muster.

Looking briefly into the other films in the series, I have learned that this third instalment is something of a return to the series’ roots, after the higher budget blockbuster The Chronicles of Riddick (2004) which did more to expand on the universe’s mythology. Riddick is more monster movie than space opera.

The first act is a survivalist story, which sees Riddick navigating the harsh alien terrain. It’s an engrossing, character based introduction featuring little dialogue aside from Diesel’s continuing snippets of narration. Flashbacks reveal that Riddick was recently the Lord of a dark and violent alien race, but was deceived and marooned on the planet where the action takes place. The gig obviously did not suit his loner survivalist personality.

The locations are stylistically impressive. Far from claustrophobic, the wide other worldly vistas, every frame passed through an extremely yellow filter, emphasise the isolation of a single man, alone on a planet. It’s not clear how long Riddick spends struggling against the elements, but he manages to entomb himself within the ruins of an ancient civilisation to heal his injuries, develop an immunity to the poison of a vicious mud monster, and raise a canine companion, an alien jackal native to the planet, from a pup.

But from across the savannah, brewing in the ever approaching rain, comes the threat of a whole swarm of these mud monsters, prompting Riddick to call an end to his solitude. He activates a distress beacon, drawing two teams of mercenaries hungry for the huge bounty on his head.

The first are a rag tag band of piratical thugs led by the unhinged Santana (Jordi Molla, who plays well). They are soon joined by a second, more professionally organised team, who Santana resents for muscling in on his catch. The latecomers are helmed by a man named Johns (Matthew Nable). Johns has deeper reasons for being here that tie in to other films in the series. He and Santana are at loggerheads for much of the film, leading to some entertaining conflict. Their differences, naturally, become their undoing.

Until now, we have seen little other than Riddick, but the man of the hour takes a step back and becomes a creature in the shadows. The narrative moves to follow the mercenaries as they try to root Riddick out, but are toyed with and picked off in the process. His natural abilities and time on the planet enable Riddick to run rings around the pursuers, leaving cryptic messages in blood around the mercenary station where they are based. By the third act, the common foe (the aforementioned monster horde) forces the two sides together, revealing who is the most ruthless and desperate.

It is a testament to the versatility of the Riddick character that he can play lone protagonist, mysterious enemy and eventual saviour over the course of a single picture, elevating him above a mere muscle-bound one-liner spewing action hero. Most other ‘characters’ fall into simple archetypes and exist only as fodder for either Riddick or the monsters, and are swiftly dispatched. The monsters fall prey to classic movie conservation rules: one on its own is deadly, but by the time the swarm comes, they are frequently dispatched, left, right and centre, with relative ease.

Going to see a third Riddick film is essentially the sci-fi equivalent of going to see the latest Transporter, Die Hard, or indeed Fast & Furious. It’s pure cheesy action, full of violence, monsters and one-liners. There’s plenty of machismo, from the mercenaries, certainly (Dahl included) but especially from Riddick himself, who sets his own broken limbs and cauterises egregious wounds whilst fighting off hordes of alien beasts with an improvised jawbone machete.

It’s an easy entrance for newcomers, so casual viewers won’t be disappointed, but fans of the series and mythology may regret the lack of any development to the overarching chronicle, as Riddick does little to advance this. It exists entirely to indulge in the character, throwing him an outlandish situation, and a couple of hours of screen time.
  80. Oct 6, 2013
    I went in to this movie without seeing Pitch Black or Chronicles of Riddick, and it was still great.
    You needed little knowledge for a short scene in the beginning, and was very easy to follow.
    The downside however is that the movie had a very small plot, which while keeping it easy to follow, made it a little boring at times. Also be warned, if you live in Australia, although the

Also be warned, if you live in Australia, although the movie is rated MA15+, there are two scenes with nudity, just so you are aware.
    Which brings up a small complaint, the nudity is very random and unnecessary, making it awkward when watching with friends.

The actors had great performances especially Vin Diesel, with the exception of Jordi Mollà and his quite cheesy dialogue.

The movie was a great watch and while not a Triple A film, it's still something to check out.
  81. Oct 6, 2013
    totally awesome
    so entertaining, great story, great acting, great screenplay i really liked it action scenes was so original but only i didn't like 30 minute prologue that's why i give 9
  82. Oct 10, 2013
    Not that great but not bad either... I rented all the Riddick Movies before I went to this one so I would have a foundation and not be lost or confused about the story or who the character is. I found the movie interesting but not riveting. At least It held my attention through the entire movie.
  83. Oct 18, 2013
    In taste of the first movie, Riddick delivers both action and thriller blended with humor, nicely balanced. It doesn't try to create an universe like TCOR, it doesn't take itself too seriously, but you can see there is a hard work behind it. Despite the repetition of the scenes from first movie in the last act, back to the origin decision is a great choice to continue the Riddick saga.
  84. Oct 19, 2013
    The is a solid B movie scifi action thriller with a super macho protagonist. If you liked the first two Riddick movies, you will enjoy this one. If you are expecting anything deep or you didn't enjoy the first two Riddick movies, you will probably not enjoy this one.
  85. Dec 3, 2013
    Enjoyed it very much. It may not have much of a deep philosophical meaning that professional critics are looking for, but Vin Diesel kicking ass is what I wanted to see and I was not disappointed.
  86. Dec 23, 2013
    As a huge Riddick fan I loved this movie from start to finish. Everything about the movie was well done including the design of the new creatures. They should definitely continue this franchise and let us see Riddick reach Furia.
  87. Jan 13, 2014
    The first movie was very simple, about surviving in an unknown planet by avoiding the attacks of the alien creatures. But the second movie was totally different with broad in story expansion about humans and human like creature's invasion of different planets of the universe. So this third Riddick movie was very much similar to the first which had very lesser characters. If you ever likedThe first movie was very simple, about surviving in an unknown planet by avoiding the attacks of the alien creatures. But the second movie was totally different with broad in story expansion about humans and human like creature's invasion of different planets of the universe. So this third Riddick movie was very much similar to the first which had very lesser characters. If you ever liked the first, probably you will like this as well.

You keep what you kill, so Riddick becomes the new Lord Marshall of the Necromonger. But he's far more away from their faith, so he makes a deal with the commander Vaako. But the deal goes wrong when he was escorted to a wrong planet. Once again, Riddick finds the threats from alien animals from the planet where he is stranded. On the other side, the bounty hunters trouble him, but he must fight to get one of their ships to sail to the planet Furya. Would he succeed or not is the story briefs in the remains.

As the per the entertainment prospect this movie was very good. It had great stunts and graphics. As usual the Vin diesel was breathtaking as Riddick. But if you are expecting a story to continue from where the second installment ended you will be sadden. Actually the story follows from the second, but the theme flips back to similar to the first. For me it was a well made movie in the series to fit in and as the third. Those who are disappointed will be brightened up in the next follow up movie for sure. So I believe it is not for everyone, except those who seek a good entertainment.
  88. Jan 14, 2014
    Riddick is not a 10/10 movie but I really enjoyed it as I did with Pitch Black and I thought Chronicles of Riddick was an enjoyable movie. Riddick takes the movie back to it's roots with Riddick trying to survive on a deserted planet while carnivorous aliens try to kill him and the others trapped with Riddick. Some of my favorite parts of the movie were when Riddick was trying to surviveRiddick is not a 10/10 movie but I really enjoyed it as I did with Pitch Black and I thought Chronicles of Riddick was an enjoyable movie. Riddick takes the movie back to it's roots with Riddick trying to survive on a deserted planet while carnivorous aliens try to kill him and the others trapped with Riddick. Some of my favorite parts of the movie were when Riddick was trying to survive after being left for dead on the planet and when Riddick toyed with the mercenaries that came to collect his bounty. After this the movie became to much like Pitch Black and almost seemed to be copying it. Vin Diesels performance as Riddick is amazing and a good enough reason alone to go see this movie, while some of his co-stars were lacking Matt Nable, Jordi Mollà and surprisingly Dave Bautista bring the same quality of acting as Vin Diesel does. This movie is definitely worth seeing even if you haven't seen any of the previous Riddick movies. I enjoyed this movie and I look forward to seeing what they do with Riddick in the future. Expand
  89. Jan 14, 2014
    Time has proved that critics never give a mark above 7 if the movie doesn't contain all standards which they require and you can find him in latest romantic comedies.
    The movie follows Richard B. Riddick an escaped convict and murderer which is trapped in non-civilazed planet crawled with dangerous creatures. So far it's my favorite Vin's movie and character in sci-fi universe. The unique personality that is smart and strong combined with Vin's screenplay and fan-favorite voice makes Riddick everyones favorite antihero. The plot is very good in the end survivors realize it's all about survival not money which some of Riddick's enemies desire. I can't recommend enough to watch this movie you may like it or dislike it just don't trust critics one the right and watch movie for yourself and decide. The bottom line is do you like, or dislike Sci-fi action
  90. Jan 15, 2014
    I’m a big fan of the character of Riddick and was more than excited to see him return for a new adventure. Although the story does suffer from some severe lack of balance, the film didn’t fail in satisfying me with some brutal action and Sci-Fi awesome-tude (totally a word, I swear). Not a bad new adventure for the man, I have to say.
  91. Jan 18, 2014
    Riddick (Vin Diesel) has got my attention, I just hope there will be enough viewers, fans and good ratings to continue. Hope I wont have to wait 10 yrs, but if I have to, I will. Good Luck with production Vin!
  92. Feb 3, 2014
    If you liked Pitch Black, then I think you'll really enjoy Riddick. I found the beginning a little slow but pretty much when the mercs show up the movie picks up. The end was also disappointing, especially when it starts building intensity and just caps it with a pretty cheesy ending. But don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it and thought it was a really fun movie and I would definetlyIf you liked Pitch Black, then I think you'll really enjoy Riddick. I found the beginning a little slow but pretty much when the mercs show up the movie picks up. The end was also disappointing, especially when it starts building intensity and just caps it with a pretty cheesy ending. But don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it and thought it was a really fun movie and I would definetly recommend it to anyone that enjoys these types of movies Expand
  93. Jan 28, 2014
    It's an extremely over the top, science fiction, action film, with lots of pretty looking action scenes and cool looking alien planets. What else were you expecting? It was exactly as advertised, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Recognition from the academy is not expected, and no one cares. This is a fun movie about being bad ass. Just like all the Riddick movies.
  94. Feb 2, 2014
    Its not a bad movie, But its missing that epic, huge Hollywood touch. Watching the movie, I felt it was on a limited budget. The story is silly, the writing is bad as well. Its watchable on Netflix.
  95. Feb 7, 2014
    The reviews here saying things like don't listen to the critics must be production company posts. I love Vin, really enjoyed The Chronicles, and expected more of that. It is, however, a terrible attempt to remake Pitch Black essentially. It is the same plot but poorer. The character interactions are completely unbelievable, terrible dialogue, SP FX is nothing close to special and theThe reviews here saying things like don't listen to the critics must be production company posts. I love Vin, really enjoyed The Chronicles, and expected more of that. It is, however, a terrible attempt to remake Pitch Black essentially. It is the same plot but poorer. The character interactions are completely unbelievable, terrible dialogue, SP FX is nothing close to special and the script is so basic and pointless, that it is almost confusing as you try to make more out of what is actually going on. Perhaps you should see it, just to see something so sub rate and to see how the critics here are obviously plants. Riddick does have the mysterious ability to change people's sexuality with out there being the slightest reason throughout the known or unknown universe. See it just for that, I guess. They need him in Russia. The most unbelievable film I think I have ever seen. If only Stallone was in this and it would have completed the gang bang of all gang bangs. Too long, too unbelievable, too amateurish dialogue and human interactions. And what happens to his Dingo-Dongo thingy? The tranqs were too much? In a word LUDICROUS. Sory Vin, please redeem yourself, and don't remake this one! Expand
  96. Feb 12, 2014
    This was a great movie that had exactly what I had hoped for, basically more of Riddick from the first two movies doing his thing. If you didn't like the first two then you wouldn't like this one.
  97. Feb 24, 2014
    Violent, dark, nasty, sexist, no plot, bad acting, too many of just one sort of alien slime-dwelling scorpion monsters. Oh, and the computer-generated jackal was killed off way too soon because it was the most interesting character in the whole movie At least no one involved with this silly sci-fi seemed to take it overly seriously, but even so, it had no real humor.
  98. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Riddick is a 2013 science fiction film directed by David Twohy with Vin Diesel , Katee Sackhoff and Jordi Molla and the sequel to The Chronicles of Riddick .
    In this film we see Riddick betrayed by Vaako , who had promised to bring it back up Furya but instead abandons him on a hostile planet to kill him. Despite the Necromonger be believed dead, Riddick manages to survive , but will face a world full of dangerous creatures and deadly that they will try to kill him. In this place, our protagonist finds himself his ego animal, but when he sees the imminent arrival of a huge threat , Riddick decides to call for help and will arrive on the planet two teams of mercenaries with the intention to take his ship and escape.
    In my opinion, a successful movie much better than its predecessor. It seems to go back to the origins of the character played by Vin Diesel and it will meet the typical atmosphere of Pitch Black . The film in terms of narrative is divided into two parts: the first where we will see Riddick trying to survive on the planet inhabited by ferocious creatures , part very well done as it seems one of those movies where the man must try to survive the oppression of nature and the second will be the arrival of the two teams of mercenaries and that is where we will review the old Pitch Black , Riddick will no longer be the main protagonist but will be back in the shadows and we'll see a lot more members of the two teams . At this point the film reaches its maximum voltage as the mercenaries do not know when and how Riddick could attack them.
    The characters are all distinct and very different from each other (especially the two teams are very different from each other , a more disciplined and organized , the other more disordered and chaotic )
    On a technical level the film is very well done. Although the budget is very limited , Twohy was able to create creatures made very well with the CGI and breathtaking scenery .
    The flaws of the film are mainly two: the quotes in Pitch Black and the final part . It is not wrong to quote the movie , but the point is that it is mentioned many times. As for the final part instead was made ​​a little ' too fast and also on here as Pitch Black , Riddick and mercenaries must escape from the horrible creatures who will try to kill them. The creatures are made very well, but everything happens very quickly and the ending is not exactly the most exciting.
    Despite these flaws the film is very enjoyable and certainly will appeal to many.
  99. Mar 21, 2014
    This movie was a bit all over the place. Riddick's remembrance of the "other" chronicles was a bit too unconnected for me to care about. Then there was that guy's father, I mean, who was that guy? That was like 4 movies ago.Also, the action was too predictable and needlessly violent to be good. The cgi animals were somewhat better then in other movies but still unrealistic. Those "wild"This movie was a bit all over the place. Riddick's remembrance of the "other" chronicles was a bit too unconnected for me to care about. Then there was that guy's father, I mean, who was that guy? That was like 4 movies ago.Also, the action was too predictable and needlessly violent to be good. The cgi animals were somewhat better then in other movies but still unrealistic. Those "wild" dogs just stare at predators and get eaten, evolution must be very unusual there. Also, what did they eat, exactly? In conclusion "Riddick" is to Pitch black (or the chronicles, take your pick) what Terminator:Salvation is to Terminator. Expand
  100. Mar 21, 2014
    It's not perfect, but if you like vin diesel and the Riddick movies then you will enjoy this as well. The low budget hasn't hindered the film in any way. Dave Bautista has a role as a mercenary thug but still manages to stand out and Katee Sackhoff lives upto her Battlestar persona as a hard ass tough girl. Action, Gore and Vin Diesel the way you like him. Great Movie!

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    The movie jogs along nicely without ever getting a case of the stupids; far from being a bloated “John Carter,” it’s just a pared-down yarn of survival: “Die Hard” on a planet.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 16, 2013
    And that's it, really: two hours of loneliness, interleaved with havoc. The dialogue has been distilled to expletives and grunts. [16 Sept. 2013, p.74]
  3. Reviewed by: Ty Burr
    Sep 9, 2013
    This is back-to-basics stuff, which turns out to be not such a bad idea.