Riding in Cars with Boys

7.1

1. BlancoA.
    Nov 9, 2002
    Man, this movie is torture... Pathetic!
  2. Richard
    Oct 21, 2002
    Too long and one too many endings, with the one they chose as the actual ending being the weakest. But this story of life's derailments of ambitions will get to you, thanks mostly to the exemplary acting. Sometimes it seems as if Barrymore is channelling her director (they have the same kind of closed-mouth drawl), but she's affecting and sincere. Even better are Brittany Murphy Too long and one too many endings, with the one they chose as the actual ending being the weakest. But this story of life's derailments of ambitions will get to you, thanks mostly to the exemplary acting. Sometimes it seems as if Barrymore is channelling her director (they have the same kind of closed-mouth drawl), but she's affecting and sincere. Even better are Brittany Murphy and especially Steve Zahn, who brings wondrous and tragic colors to a stock role. Expand
  3. Courtney
    May 20, 2002
    This movie had great acting. It was a mix of humour and seriousness. The story line was meaningful and had a great lesson to be learned.
  4. HeatherA.
    Apr 7, 2003
    I loved this movie, I dont know how anyone could hate it.
  5. LinoG.
    Mar 26, 2004
    While the movie did seem too long, the performances are so touching and heartwarming that I found myself connected to these characters. The direction is probably the most flawed thing about the film but like I mentioned earlier, the performances are great.
  6. AlbertoR.
    Mar 22, 2002
    I don't know if to hate what happened to her or just hate her, but one thing I'm sure about: I hated this movie. Just another egotistical daddy's girl that expects us to care about her misdoings in life.
  7. EmilyH.
    May 25, 2007
    Boring at times but one of my favourite movies for it's acting. A great piece by Drew Barrymore and truly shows how she works in both a comedic and serious role.
  8. MalyssaS.
    Nov 17, 2001
    The acting was great, especially on Drew's part. Through the movie I felt sad for the son, but by the end he is able to tell her how it is, making it a great movie. I love the plot and it really hits home for me. Five stars!!!
  9. Aug 28, 2014
    Riding in Cars with Boys is dark. Much darker than you'd think with Drew Barrymore leading a film about a single-Mother. The harsh realities of life and Motherhood are addressed, and we are impressed with Ms. Barrymore. But it's Steve Zahn who breaks our hearts.

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Kevin Maynard
    It's Zahn's heartbreaking performance that drives Riding in Cars with Boys.
    Hardly out of the driveway before director Penny Marshall loses control.
  3. As the movie jumps back and forth in time, it displays an impressive cut-and-paste agility, skillfully interweaving humor and drama without tipping over into farce or soap opera.