• Studio: GKIDS
  • Release Date: Apr 11, 2014
6.1

1. Sep 12, 2014
    I wasn't too thrilled with the first Rio, but I certainly expected more than this. It's got the excellent animation and top-notch voice cast that you would expect from a kids movie that's worth seeing nowadays, it's just missing the humor and charm. I'm sure young kids will get more than a few chuckles out of it, but older audiences like myself are better off letting the kids watch this one on their own.

The plot is your standard, predictable, and cliched tale about a son-in-law struggling to connect with his father-in-law. They honestly could have ditched the part of the story involving the humans and the movie would have been better for it. A big part of the first Rio was the musical numbers, however outside of particularly memorable take on "I Will Survive" by Jemaine Clement's "Nigel" they all mostly fall short.

Rio 2 is lacking in a lot of aspects that would have otherwise made this a good animated movie that any member of the family could've enjoyed. I spent the entire movie just wishing it would hurry up and end. This is one strictly for the young ones in your house. Older audiences may want to avoid. My total score is a 4.2/10.
  2. Jun 17, 2014
    No parent should bring their kid to this irritating horrible film. The music and jokes are painful to listen to, with a story that hardly makes any sense. One of the worst films this year.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why the hell everything in this movie's story was happening so fast? The final battle was just so easy without any drama! Jewel's father was like : "who the **** are you Blue" then"thanks for bringing my daughter back" and then "you suck man, so weak and dumb" later "Ok i'll trust your plan, let's save the jungle". And what the **** was happening to Roberto?! He was like "Blue you're so lucky, Jewel's amazing" then he's like "if something happens to you i'll take care of your famly" (that's when i thought that he would want to get rid of Blue) but later he went "Blue's a good guy, i trust him" and at the and, even though everyone thought that he was a true macho "Omg i'm so scared, i'm the only ****in' scared bird out here!". The story was so dumb and fast that i give it a 3/10 because it's stupidity made me laugh and also the songs were the only good part of this animation. Expand
  4. May 1, 2014
    An example of why great movies shouldn't have sequels. This overly boring movie, with dull dialogue, flat jokes and a plot that tries to keep us intrigued, but all that is does is the opposite.
  5. Jun 5, 2014
    A tame and heartwarming story gets absolutely broken with this forced upon movie, adding mostly nothing but bland and boring characters. An excuse for a sequel.
  6. Apr 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gotta admit that I enjoyed the beginning of the movie but as it transitioned to the end the plot was very obscure. Furthermore the characters are very lifeless, in other words there's no clear purpose as to what they should do in the movie compared to the first Rio, except the main characters. The songs were quite enjoying and it shows that it's really for kids.
    If I were to compare to the 1st movie I would say I really enjoyed the 1st because the plot (Blu finding love and learning to fly) was clear and perfectly presented. All the characters supported this plot by helping Blu earn his objective. In the 2nd movie Blu now has a family but it seems that the other birds such as Raphael, Nico, and Pedro have plans of their own and yet they still ride along the movie. Don't forget the antagonist.... which is who exactly, the guy that looks like a white mafian, poor flightless Nigel? If there's going to be a new antagonist in the new movie or an old one rather they should at least focus on how evil the antagonist could be and not easily foiled in just one swoop.
    Finally, this is a family type of movie but sadly the essence of having a family wasn't fully presented. Parents aren't really all mushy to each other, they sometimes argue about sensitive matters and, in worst case scenarios, fight. The stress of being parents wasn't even brought out either. I feel like this movie was meant for kids only and we're expected to just wait for the right time to ask the kids: "Did you like the movie?", not saying that I am a parent.

Overall, I think the entire movie lacks a lot of solid characters and a solid plot. I think this movie was rushed by whoever wrote this story.
  7. Jun 6, 2014
    Events with no purpose, movie doesnt even make sense to my kids, would not reccomend spending your money to watch it, since the plot is repetitive and makes no sense.
  8. Oct 14, 2014
    I like the fact that they made something other than more Ice Age, but Rio just doesn't work for me at all, it's still bland, unoriginal, and forgettable. Overall there's nothing interesting about Rio 2 other than the animation is pretty good.
  9. Nov 27, 2014
    I hate whamming on a kids movie but this is a terrible kids movie. It's not that much fun, the characters aren't as interesting as in recent animations and this actually got a sequel before The Incredibles did...what the hell? Years from now if I had to choose between showing my children Rio 2 or Toy Story, I would choose Toy Story because it's a far superior film and it even teaches you about family, friendship and doing the right thing. The worst animation since Ice Age 4. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Daniel Green
    Apr 18, 2014
    Rio 2's Amazon adventure finds its wings clipped by more tired and unnecessary subplots than you can shake a feather at.
  2. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    Rio 2 is a perfect example of franchise maintenance in place of storytelling.
  3. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Apr 16, 2014
    All singing, all dancing, all color: Rio 2 is a modern, studio animation blockbuster spilling all over the place, rather than arching into the sky.