7.2

1. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rio is a charming and fun romp through a samba themed movie. This setting allows for great color usage by the animators and this makes for a very vibrant and "warm," if you will, movie going experience. The movie also had it's funny moments and I couldn't help but love the characters. Go ahead and check it out. 2 Expand
  2. Apr 15, 2011
    Entertaining movie that kids will enjoy. Parents will find a lot of fun in this movie, as well. One of the best animated films since How to train your Dragon. This movie brings about 1 hour 30 minutes of non-stop fun and entertainment that is bound to keep you glued to your seat.
  3. May 3, 2011
    I think that Rio was one of the best movies of the spring. Really, you HAVE TO take your kids to see this movie. The animation and the pictures of Brazil were amazing! But, the story was a little predictable, however.
  4. Sep 29, 2011
    Despite some flaws, I like "Rio" very much because of its energetic visuals accompanied with Brazil samba music.
  5. Apr 15, 2011
    This movie is amazing and it's a beautifully film that shows a great idea to have all those colorful birds in a great adventure in Brazil. That is a coolest thing ever! I really enjoy watching this movie and it gives atmosphere to see where the 3D effects is going everywhere with great songs and great characters. Rio is an interesting film that is more fun 3D adventure better than the rest of the live-action 3D films including Avatar. Expand
  6. Apr 17, 2011
    Yes this is colorful and the animation is well done. However the story and characters were not very engaging. The plotline was very predictable. There were a few funny moments but they were few and far between. I like most animation in this genre, but about half way through this film I was looking at my watch, wondering when it would end. This is an OK movie to take the kids to, but you may want to wait until it comes out on DVD. Expand
  7. Apr 24, 2011
    Rio relies too much on generic, hit-or-miss comedy, however, that ultimately succumbs to the film's beautiful animation, lavish colors, and catchy soundtrack.
  8. Apr 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is great, it's a good animation, and an advance from the Blue Sky studio. The environment of the city of Rio de Janeiro is incredible. The voice acting Eisenberg and Anne Hathaway is excellent.

A film that entertains children and family.
  9. Apr 15, 2011
    Kids will adore and parents will enjoy this light, engaging and culturally accessible story for the birds. Its vibrant visuals coupled with straight forward (if not redundant) message - that, basically, courage, friendship and love are all good things - make RIO a must see for the entire family. Although it lacks any real Pixar-like depth or emotional punch it still makes for a light-hearted, spirited and good ol' fashioned fun time at the movies. When RIO shines it really shows you all it can... Expand
  10. HIT
    Apr 17, 2011
    A wonderful movie that exposes the beautiful of a city and of important animals. Not to mention the learning that the film conveys to the viewer. A great movie to show one of the best places in the world.
  11. Apr 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. colorful and entertaining throughout the entire movie. some great names like Jesse eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Will.i.am, Jamie Foxx, and George lopez are fun to follow the story line with. the ending was expected, happy, blah blah, but the middle, and how it happens is the best part. the amazing colors are a great sight on the Movie. some songs, of course (theres will.i.am, and Jamie foxx! who didnt expect a song or two??) were fun to listen too. although i have to take a point for humor, (Eh...) it was a great movie overall Expand
  12. Apr 23, 2011
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. It had a great pace and even some cute musical numbers. I found the storyline to be pretty cliche, but that's like all children's movies. Yet, it had some lovable characters that brought both comedy but a little bit of "oomph" to the big screen. I recommend this one!
  13. Apr 29, 2011
    Its once again animation treat from ICE AGE Group.Wonderful animated characters thats makes us to feel we are in real world of animation and nice story for the part of life.
  14. May 6, 2011
    Rio is fantastically made. The animation is on the level of Dreamworks and Pixar, especially with the attention to details in the feathers, markings on the beaks, etc. Although some people would say that the plot was predictable, what movie doesn't really? Stop being overly critical on the subject and see it for what it is. Does it deliver the message/story properly and in a entertaining way? Yes? There you go... Alas, Rio is definitely a must watch and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  15. Apr 16, 2011
    Rio was a fantastic movie! The story is very well done. The main thing that i thought was really cool was the colours. They were so exotic and wonderful! The songs were so catchy and cool to listen to.

Overall I enjoyed it.

8.5/10
  16. Apr 22, 2011
    Awesome animated movie ! Everything was fun : the songs, the characters, the animation, the landscape, everything ! I liked Jemaine Clement as the villain (the voice of Nigel), he was funny. It was great to watch an animated movie in Brazil (finally, an other country than U.S.A), it made it different. The kids will LOVE '' Rio ", seriously they were having a good time . The 3-D effects were cool. It's worth watching it. Expand
  17. Jun 4, 2011
    No fun, no good characters and downright boring. As a big fan of animated movies, I was greatly disappointed in this one. For me - the biggest downside is, that while other animated movies often feature cute animals, are colorful, there are songs in them, and so on - little kids love that. But the movies have the other side, which offers fun for an older viewer. Remember the King Julian character from Madagascar ? Well, Rio does not have that other side. Expand
  18. Apr 16, 2011
    this is a pretty good movie and i hate to admit it but i enjoyed watching it and so did everyone else in my family as is the case with almost all animated films this was amazingly done and it is family fun for every one and kids of all ages will be laughing and even adults will find it funny at parts. the only problem i have is the girl looking for her missing bird, "have you seen this bird?" my response "yeah i saw it and i tried to catch it but it flew away." although this bird cant fly but why in gods name would you go searching for your lost bird Expand
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    Rio is a charming and fun romp through a samba themed movie. This setting allows for great color usage by the animators and this makes for a very vibrant and "warm," if you will, movie going experience. The movie also had it's funny moments and I couldn't help but love the characters. They added a lot of variety as if there wasn't enough! Go ahead and check it out!
  20. Apr 15, 2011
    The movie Rio was finally released in theaters today after many months of anticipation. This is perhaps the largest and most prominent feature film centered around parrots ever. From a parrot owner's perspective, this is my impression of the movie as well as the realism of parrot ownership that it conveys.

The story opens in the forest outside off Rio De Janeiro where birds do morning
    song and dance ritual. While the singing/dancing is of course personified, it certainly alludes to the natural morning song that birds sing.

We get our first glimpse of Blu, the movie's hero, as a baby in a nest cavity. Parrots nest in cavities rather than building nests on branches so this was an accurate depiction. Blu is captured by poachers and smuggled to Minnesota. Like in half the pet featured movies out there, the crate carrying the hero character falls out of a truck and is discovered by the future owner. Not only does this make the owner appear benevolent for saving a lost animal, but it also absolves the owner from responsibility for buying into the illegal pet trade. However, there is actually some truth to the matter.

Rio is actually partly based on a true story and a real species of Macaw. The movie simply refers to Blu as a Blue Macaw, however, at a later point in the movie Cyanopsitta Spixii species is mentioned. The Spix Macaw is one of four Blue Macaw species and was endemic to Brazil. However, due to poaching and deforestation of their natural habitat, Spix Macaws went extinct in the wild in the year 2000. Nonetheless, over 60 Spix macaws have been known to remain in captivity after their wild counterparts went extinct. Two years after the last Spix was observed in the wild, a veterinarian in the the United States was shocked to be consulted by an owner of one in Denver.

21. Apr 23, 2011
    Its a spectacular movie that bring you to a fantastic world of imagination. I like very much this film, because it has fun, a good story and great song. Rio is
  22. Apr 25, 2011
    The film shows the good part of an country who historically only appears when it is to show the bad part.
    And over the carnival and the music are amazing.
  23. May 9, 2011
    A great adventure that everybody will love. That has great actors, beautiful presentation, and an adventurous story that makes this a must have (or watch since it is not on Blu-ray yet).
  24. Jun 21, 2011
    This straightforward movie hits great heights thanks to its colorful visual palette, catchy music, and perfect vocal performances.
  25. Sep 2, 2011
    A beautiful movie with great characters, amazing animation, great (albeit familiar) story, and awesome soundtrack. While it feels a little short, it certainly soared above most movies released this year.
  26. Dec 30, 2011
    It has just colorful animation, funny voice acting, and a lot of cleverness along with some just fantastic music. Rio does suffer because it isn't as funny as it should be which can make it quite boring. I give this movie 63%.
  27. Apr 21, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of animated movies - see very few of them. But this one is a lot of fun. Love the Sergio Mendes music - I was absolutely moving in my seat. George Lopez (The Toucan) and Tracy Morgan (Bulldog) are hilarious.
  28. Sep 3, 2011
    Rio is a fantastic movie. Its a heartwarming story. Its perfect for kids and even adults. The animations are fantastic. This is a must watch movie for people of any ages.
  29. Sep 5, 2011
    It tells the story of Blu, a blue macaw who is taken to Rio De Janeiro his owner Luiz to mate with a female. He eventually falls in love with Jewel, a free spirited macaw, and together along with their new friends they attempt to escape from being smuggled by Nigel, a ****

I was impressed at how good this movie was. The animation and colors were great and the visuals were very creative at
    the place of Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. The comedy was very hilarious it even gave me a few chuckles and laughs here and there. The characters were likable and very cute and the main villain in this movie was so scary. The music score from John Powell and musical numbers were a lot of fun it gives stronger development to our characters.

The only problems that I had with this movie was the fast pacing, a few aspects of the story would've been better and the script was too clichéd and predictable.

Although it may not be a masterpiece of computer animation, it's still a very entertaining movie to watch even kids and their families will enjoy.

30. Apr 25, 2011
    Overall the animation is very good, although I did not like some of the backdrops that looked liked cheaply drawn watercolor and did not match the crispness of the rest of the film. This is a very colorful, highly energetic film. The filmmakers make a mistake that many current animated films make, however, they rely almost entirely on the visuals for the humor. I saw this in a theater filled with kids and many were restless and not paying attention (unlike most Pixar films where kids are totally into it). This film needed more HUMOR, and I'm talking about humor coming from the written word. The music throughout was good and energetic. I believe this was made by the "Ice Age" studio, as a "Scrat" cartoon was shown at the start. I'm not a big fan of the Ice Age movies either because of the lack of humor (although the first one was pretty good). Please hire better script writers. Expand
  31. Dec 6, 2011
    One of the best non-Disney/Pixar C.G.I. animated films I have seen in quite some time, "Rio" is a film filled with stunning animation, great characters, wonderful music, and everything comes together in a very cohesive, very believable way. Blu, a rare type of Macaw who has never learned how to fly, must embark on the adventure of his lifetime with the strong, independent Jewl, a female Macaw of his kind; both around and in the city of Rio De Janierio, Brazil. The film both figuratively, and literally soars with great moments for many of the characters featured within this movie. The heart of this movie is that there's a strong message, that by believing in yourself, there's almost no limit to what you can achieve. I loved this movie in theaters, and I can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray, literally! I highly recommend it for the entire family to see and enjoy! Enough said! Expand
  32. Apr 30, 2011
    It's got great visuals (but that's not unusual, since it was made by Blue Sky Studios), catchy music and a voice cast with celebs we all know, and so, chances are, you'll like this movie.
  33. Apr 28, 2011
    Rio is an interesting animation, captivating and a lot of comedy imposed as a filling history. Very good! May be the best animation of the year, along with Rango and Cars 2. 7
  34. Apr 29, 2011
    A kid movie that surprisingly wasn't quite the kick in the nuts I thought it would be. Which means I end in up in the hospital because some animated fanboy beat up my nut sack with a baseball bat. The movie's villain was fairly dull but was still decently acted and originally plotted. Well if you think about it, many little kid movies have weak plots and are just plain stupid. I thought this was one of those movies, but it wasn't. It was something original, occasionally funny, and well animated. Well, I am just glad I liked this movie as much as I did. Expand
  35. May 26, 2011
    I believe that a good animated film is a typical struggle between good and evil, but something catches the viewer fills the warm atmosphere of Rio. Quality is good, although he kids. With family can watch

P.S sorry for the error in the text because I'm Russian
  36. May 31, 2011
    Way cool kids movie. Kids loved great and good adult humor. Jamie Fox, Will I. Am, and George Lopez were totally funny. A definite go see. I will own on DVD/Blue Ray once released.
  37. Jun 11, 2011
    A decent cartoon in itself, but make no mistake, it's no Finding Nemo or Lion King. Another reviewer had it exactly on the spot-- the characters had no soul. I'm not talking just about the predictable plot, the lack of background/development of any character other than Blu; my major beef with the movie was that every bird seemed the same. They come in different colors, but fly, dance, speak, and behave the same. Had the producers done more research or cared enough, they could have fit fun facts of these species better into their roles and plot. Kids came away from Nemo being fascinated by diverse deep sea wildlife; on the other hand, replace the birds with cats in Rio and we still have the same movie. Expand
  38. Aug 26, 2011
    Hardly movies like these come around. This film has great animation, the voice acting is superb, the music has good beat and it's very well hyped, and the use of color in this film is so breathtaking, that it makes it even better to watch this movie in 3D. I also liked how well paced this movie was, for 96 minutes it definitely knows how to keep you well entertained. My only criticism is that this movie is way to predictable. Expand
  39. Dec 11, 2011
    If you ignore some weak narrative twists and trite moments, you'll be quite amused by the energetic musical numbers, vibrant scenarios and colourful images from Rio de Janeiro.
  40. Sep 12, 2011
    Rio is one of the movies that I love. The director put in a effort by adding extra songs. It is cute because it is animated and a bit sad because the boy was poor. The carnival looked outstanding. I wish I stayed in rio de janerio.
  41. Nov 20, 2011
    While it may be very predictable it has good execution of story. The visuals are great and it can be funny at times. Great for children and adults.
  42. May 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers. It was a tale of two Brazils did ex-Talking Heads frontman David Byrne impart stateside in the first two volumes of a compilation album series called "Brazil Classics" that he oversaw(on the heels of the new wave band's swansong "Naked"), going so far as to handpicking the songs himself from a profusion of idiosyncratically talented indigenous artists, who sang about deceptively apolitical matters in their native Portugese language. By lending his celebrity to a genre that most people associated with the Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz smash sixties hit "The Girl from Ipanema", the forward-looking Byrne was able to rescue the Brazilian sound from the world music ghetto. Released in 1989, "Brazil Classics I: Beleza Tropical" highlighted an art movement called tropicalismo, which among other things, was a stylistic fusion born out of political unrest following the ouster of the country's president in a coup d'etat(known as the Coup d'etat of 1964). Once the dust settled, the new regime would inflict Brazil with two decades of strict military rule, in which artists(such as Gilberto Gil & Caetano Veloso) faced heavy censorship from government authorities. In Hector Babenco's "Pixote", the shockingly young street urchin(played by Ramon de la Silva), one of the countless victims of post-coup Brazil, is forced into thievery by default, due to poverty and other social ills so ingrained in the country's infrastructure, most prominently, a corrupt reform school where officials have no inclination to rehabilitate these juvenile delinquents, the hardened criminals of the future. Thirteen years after the tropicalist crusade's manifesto "Tropicalia ou Panis et Circensis"(an album whose title comes from a Veloso song) declared the collective's intentions to against the Brazilian establishment, the grassroots movement was clearly still very much alive, mixing pop and politics in one key scene. When the boys' institution has an open house, the moviegoer can see and hear how the ideological innovation of tropicalismo is put forth by the house band, whose lead singer, an inmate, denigrates his former hero Roberto Carlos because the newly politicized performer now sees "The King" as an American imperialist. By comparison, in "Rio", whose samba music(a genre that Byrne highlighted with "Brazil Classics 2: O Samba") is perceived as being less political than tropicalismo, proves its near-apolitical nature in a scene where Blu declares, "I hate samba! Every song sounds the same," in which the bird prefers instead, the adult-contemporary stylings of Lionel Richie. After all, he's practically American, having been kidnapped from his native Brazil as a hatchling. Ultimately, "Rio" is in agreement with the macaw's implied ideology of American superiority. San Paolo, the locale where much of "Pixote" takes place, is left behind for Rio, where the titular character and his gang are utilized as drug dealers by a small-time kingpin. It's the same place where Fernando lives, probably up in the mountains far away from the rich Brazilians who tend to reside near the ocean. In "Rio", far from being a social critique about the economic disparity among its people like the Barbenco film, nevertheless, presents a sanitized version(completely incidental) of the long-standing repercussions from Brazil's tumultuous past, in which Fernando(think of him as a Disney-fied Pixote), a street orphan, who is not naturally bad, aids and abets a ring of bird thieves as a survival tactic. Roberto's unlawful actions, however, are judged unfavorably by the moviegoer because the kidnapping of the cerulean macaws undermines the American heroine's goal to see her beloved pet advance an endangered species, whereas in "Pixote", the boy's criminal activities in this neo-realist classic(the film also functions as an ethnography) exists in a vacuum. The absence of a dialectical relationship between the west and the third world makes it permissible for an American audience to openly root for their delinquency since the victims are locals; it's Brazilian on Brazilian crime. "Rio", albeit a children's movie, still is awfully disingenuous to expect Fernando(whose R-rated self would be dealing drugs, or worse, selling his body in an analogous film) to act against his own economic interests by helping his former victims track down the missing birds. Similar to John Sayles' "Casa de los babys", in which a well-meaning tourist gives a book to a homeless child; a worthless artifact to somebody who is hungry and can't read, likewise, what cultural currency could the breeding of two blue macaws possible be in store for the penniless Brazilian child? "Rio" promotes the fiction that the ornithologist and the American woman would adopt Fernando. Not everybody can be Angelina Jolie. A soundtrack consisting of choice tropicalismo cuts would slice through the bulls*it of the situation. Alas, it's all a party to "Rio". Collapse
  43. Sep 18, 2011
    Between the exotic birds and the tropical locales, this may literally be the most colorful animated film since FINDING NEMO. It's also a good deal of fun, with a decent script, fun characters, and a tremendously likeable cast of voiceover artists (Anne Hathaway, Jesse Eisenberg, Leslie Mann, George Lopez, and Jamie Foxx, among others.) Particularly great to look at in its original 3D format, but this is sure to become a major family favorite on DVD and Blu-ray. Expand
  44. Apr 5, 2014
    Rio is a movie that started out really promising. There were one or two pretty good songs (with the opening being the highlight of the film). The characters were likeable and the film genuinely had heart. However, somewhere a little before or after the halfway point the film lots its way (probably due to the five writers on this film which is never something you want to do). The film sort of chucks its heart out the window in favor of being hip with some annoying characters and humor that will probably entertain kids. Speaking of which as far as kids movie goes its alright and by no means the worst I’ve ever seen. If you have kids show them this film they will probably really like. If you are an adult, you’ll get through it ok because the animation is really good and there a some nice songs. However, outside of some nice presentation and a couple good songs this film doesn’t have much to offer. Check it out if you want but in all honesty you can just watch the opening song and you’ll be set. Expand
  45. Nov 5, 2011
    Great film for kids and adults alike with generous amount of humour, pause for thought and the now obligatory "Disney moral story" over-arching plot. All these fantastically animated films are just modern extensions of Aesop's Fables which we read as kids in the 70's and 80's ... and many people probably read before that.

My little one of 7 loved the vivid colours and change of
    destination from stereotypical USA-ville to Brazil. Along with the vivid colours came an abundance of questions from her related to jungles, the Rio Carnival, birds of flight and non etc ... so, really I missed out on the depth of the film and need to watch it again :) ... any excuse really to enjoy it again.

Better than the likes of Up and Megamind for me personally ... but not quite there with Despicable Me, Rango and Toy Story/MOnsters Inc.
  46. Jun 16, 2012
    Rio suffers from a few major problems, but all of them fundamentally come down to writing and bad dialogue. In particular, a number of scenes are simply painful to listen to, with many of the voice actors' lines feeling forced rather than natural - the dialogue often does not flow properly, and their attempts at making Blu funny mostly fail, because he doesn't fail in a manner which makes sense. Yes, he's a dork, but people don't talk like that!

It doesn't help that they shoehorned in a pair of rappers, one of whom (Will.I.Am) is really very painful to listen to, isn't very talented (his singing is so bad that the OTHER RAPPER actually shuts him down -in the movie-. Both characters are entirely extraneous and were obviously shoehorned in for mass appeal, but Pedro (Will.I.Am's character) makes the movie worse for his presence, and the other does nothing to enhance it.

On the upside, some of the music is quite good, the plotline is okay (though again, the dialogue makes the mandatory romance feel very forced), and the animation is beautiful and colorful.
  47. Dec 22, 2011
    A good movie rental for the the family, I say rental because I don't really see a reason to buy it, don't get me wrong it's a good movie that's very funny, but I honestly don't plan on watching it again anytime soon, but it's still a good movie that you wont mind watching with your kids on a family movie night.
  48. Aug 30, 2011
    I think the movie was very good but at the same time very dry .. therefore was not very Brazilian style some things, but surely the most part, expect much more of this movie, I thought it would surely surprise ... The Ice Age, but was a fime very well, but that in which we expected has not really believe that surprises everyone .. in fact I am Brazilian, but not that's why I can not help giving my honest critique! Expand
  49. Apr 15, 2011
    Perfect for kids, but as much for adults. It's decent, not great, and certainly won't be remembered like Pixar and many DreamWorks films later on down thel ine.
  50. Feb 25, 2012
    Pleasant. The animation specially during the Carnivale sequences is excellent. The story is full of holes and doesn't sustain the film. Actually enjoyed Jesse Eisenberg's performance. The music was really the best part of the whole film.
  51. Sep 12, 2011
    A sweet and very entertaining film. Does quite do it for me the same way as greats like "Shrek" and "How to Train a Dragon", but a fun ride nonetheless. The songs are unmemorable, and most of the supporting cast are very stereotyped and forgettable, but the mains - Blu, Jewel, Linda and Tulio - do an excellent job. Overall, the movie is a little too much on the childish side and both the jokes and plot are very straightforward, but still enjoyable as an adult. Expand
  52. Apr 20, 2011
    this movie is much like inception, in my view, it had good qualitys that were just let down by underdevelopment and lack of any real story, the introduction of samba was one of these qualities it could have been taken so much further when reall it was just tacked on like the story which is my biggest gripe, with no real plot, and yes i may be getting to old for this, the story is predictable and annoying turning this movie more into a 'cringe-fest ' rather than, letting you enjoy the music and colourful animation Expand
  53. May 31, 2011
    just a regular movie for kids. little kids would enjoy this movie. i thought it was okay. it wasn't a movie i could remember watching in a few years.
  54. Jun 15, 2011
    This was an extremely painful to watch movie. I kept looking at my watch wanting it to please end. On a positive note a 10 year old girl would find it highly entertaining on a rainy day. Now a pair of 13 year old boys... not so much. UNWATCHABLE.
  55. Jun 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Interesting movie for kids and adults about very existing adventure. Soundtracks were excellent.
    The story and characters were great, so it needs to be continued...
  56. Aug 8, 2011
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and I've seen many films since the 50's. This movie is colorful and beautiful, giving the viewer a perfect picture of Rio de Janeiro. The characters are witty and have various different personalities, making each scene unique and full of life. The Samba and Dancing play an important part in this film as it's an important aspect of the movie's location. Though the story is predictable, many successful films are. It's about the ride, not the destination in this film. This movie is a must see. Expand
  57. Jul 17, 2011
    Insipid. Painfully so. Cliche ridden. Inane. Ugh. Terrible. Even my eight year old found it lame. Hollywood always dupes me. I've given up on them.
  58. Oct 22, 2011
    Just watched this and i think it was awesome. (Im 18 by the way) The animations, music, characters and jokes were all fantastic. And some nice voices from Anne Hathaway Tracy Morgan and Will.I.Am (he has got so distinctive voice that you know at the first time you hear it) made this all even more fun. I hope there will be a sequel, About the return of Nigel. I am definitely going to watch this at least 1 more time! Expand
  59. Aug 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a charming movie where birds poke their heads off. (hint don't Watch, sucks) Expand
  60. Aug 19, 2011
    It's a great movie ! RIO is a complete Fun movie ! The story was good ! at the end it was a bit iffy but it was well handed by Carlos . The soundtracks were good . & as for the animation i would have to say "WOW" .They made Brazil exactly how it supposed to look ! the city of Rio was so beautiful . The roads , people , forest just awesome ! Too bad there's not gonna be a sequel .

Story &
    Directing : 1.8/3 [Finishing was a not that good]
    Soundtrack : 2.2/3 [theme was so good ,other soundtracks were good but not awesome]
    Animation : 3.7/4 [One of the best of the best i have ever seen . i really really like the view of Brazil]

OVERALL 7.7/10
  61. Nov 27, 2011
    Enough with the rapping cute animals. Enough with the talking animal cartoons in general. They can be great, but it's too much. They're starting to turn into movies with these ghetto creatures, such as birds, who will always have a certain scene where they rap. Cheap laughs. Cheap. This movie was unoriginal, and I found myself almost, never laughing. Though I won't give it a 0, because I felt that it could have been so much more. It could have been original. It could have been so much better, but I think they tried to play it safe by getting these celebrities to do the voices of these birds to make this film enjoyable. I need a good story. This was bad. Expand
  62. Dec 4, 2011
    A really cute movie, extremely suitable for family viewing. It is a story of discovering and defining who you are, and even grown-ups can relate to the characters. The story line, however, seems a little too predictable. Yet, it is a great movie and highly recommended.
  63. Dec 4, 2011
    Carlos Saldanha has absolutely blown my mind with a stunning and enjoyable adventure about a simple bird named Blu. It's good to see the Ice Age director whip up something brilliant after his mediocre (and desperate) effort at the Ice Age trilogy; Rio brings to life numerous emotions and reactions from the audience that can only be connected by a brilliant storyline and intriguing characters. I've never been much of a fan of celebrity voices in CGI movies, but this has made me contemplate that notion on a level I've never felt before.

Rio is a roller-coaster of a film with more ups and downs than Blackpool's Big Dipper. The characters are kept at that balance where the main characters are focused upon, yet not so much that they make other characters fizzle into the background. Every character plays their role in what I deem to be one of the movies of the year. I have seen many people dislike the storyline but, in my honest opinion, the storyline Rio presents will take some beating by the chart-busting wizards at Pixar and Dreamworks. With more films like this, Saldanha's name will go up in lights.
  64. Feb 7, 2012
    Esta ave puede volar.
    Rio toma vuelo gracias a su animación brillante,visuales increibles,canciones memorables y voces increibles,pero no vuela tan alto por su historia no tan original,humor un poco infantil y algunos personajes irritantes.La animación de rio es excelente,un buen uso del color paleta,los visuales son buenisimos,detallando bien la ciudad de Rio de Janeiro y
    los personajes,canciones que dan ganas de bailar,con buen uso del samba, y con las voces de jesse eisemberg,anne hathaway,entre otros.Mientras su historia es predecible y no tan original,el humor no es tan bueno como el de la era de hielo,pero hay algunos chistes adultos,y sus personajes,con algunos que agradan y otros que irritan como el Pedro.
    Mi conclusion:Rio tiene vuelo gracias a su animacion,música y voces.
    Mi calificación:7.5
  65. Apr 18, 2012
    Recently I watched a movie called Rio. Rio is an animated film for all ages, but mainly for children.The main characters are a blue macaw bird named Blu, and another blue macaw named Jewel.Blu and his owner are asked to go to Brazil because there is a female bird of the same species as Blu and they are the only two blue macawâ
  66. Apr 20, 2013
    Certainly one of the most colourful films I've ever seen, combined with efficient musical numbers and a strong storyline and moral. The voice acting works perfectly and the characters are lovable, making this a very suitable family film.
  67. Dec 18, 2012
    This high flying animated comedy is fun for the whole family
  68. Oct 27, 2012
    This film is simply amazing, from the visuals to the characters I enjoyed every moment and would reccomend everyone sees it. Apparently there is also a sequel coming out in 2012 which I look forward to.
  69. Nov 7, 2012
    A fun, vibrant, colorful animated feature packed with great music, timely gags, and a heartwarming ending which together make it a fine specimen of its kind.
  70. Mar 4, 2013
    The movie is very good. I love the song in the movie, the laugh, but one thing that i don;t like is the story line is too predictable
  71. May 16, 2013
    This is a rare movie. A sony animated movie with heart. I remember that I did not expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised. The story is kind of generic, but it is a very good movie that I would even buy on blu-ray.
  72. Mar 23, 2013
    Great Voice Cast, Animation And Writing!
  73. Nov 20, 2013
    Esta pelicula de animacion me gusto, tuvo una buena banda sonora y un buen argumento para presentar."Rio" es diferente a las otras peliculas de animacion, esta tuvo una banda sonora con mucho ritmo.
  74. Jul 6, 2013
    "Rio"'s lush landscape and vivid score can make up for its cheap humor and kiddie elements (alot of pop culture references). While its story isn't that bad, it is somehow a little wasted from its complete use of comic relief characters (I mean, a dancing bird with a had. Seriously). The love story between birds aren't that bad and the story to bring them together because of science is rather an interesting concept, except to the fact that the story revolving around that concept isn't too well executed. It would have been interesting if "Pixar's Newt" came out to compare with this film, but unfortunately Newt was cancelled with concern of this film. "Rio" is fine, but could have dropped all the pop culture references and the comic relief characters, to have become much better. Expand
  75. Mar 19, 2014
    Rio pushes its limits to the max, and tries hard to please the audience, which it mostly succeeds at. It has a great cast, including George Lopez, Jesse Eisenburg, and Anne Hathaway. The movie is the definition of fun.
  76. Apr 16, 2014
    "Rio is a tropical beauty "............................................................................................................................

1. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Apr 21, 2011
    A brightly-colored, dizzying pinwheel of 3D animation in which nothing much happens. Sounds like summer is here early.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Apr 21, 2011
    So does Rio measure up to the insanely great standard set by Pixar? Visually, yes.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 15, 2011
    Notwithstanding some allusions to "Lady and the Tramp," the characters and their comic high jinks are nothing special, but the the getaway gives us spectacular 3-D images of the city.