7.2

1. Apr 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rio is a charming and fun romp through a samba themed movie. This setting allows for great color usage by the animators and this makes for a very vibrant and "warm," if you will, movie going experience. The movie also had it's funny moments and I couldn't help but love the characters. Go ahead and check it out. 2 Expand
  2. Apr 15, 2011
    Entertaining movie that kids will enjoy. Parents will find a lot of fun in this movie, as well. One of the best animated films since How to train your Dragon. This movie brings about 1 hour 30 minutes of non-stop fun and entertainment that is bound to keep you glued to your seat.
  3. May 3, 2011
    I think that Rio was one of the best movies of the spring. Really, you HAVE TO take your kids to see this movie. The animation and the pictures of Brazil were amazing! But, the story was a little predictable, however.
  4. Apr 15, 2011
    This movie is amazing and it's a beautifully film that shows a great idea to have all those colorful birds in a great adventure in Brazil. That is a coolest thing ever! I really enjoy watching this movie and it gives atmosphere to see where the 3D effects is going everywhere with great songs and great characters. Rio is an interesting film that is more fun 3D adventure better than the rest of the live-action 3D films including Avatar. Collapse
  5. HIT
    Apr 17, 2011
    A wonderful movie that exposes the beautiful of a city and of important animals. Not to mention the learning that the film conveys to the viewer. A great movie to show one of the best places in the world.
  6. Apr 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. colorful and entertaining throughout the entire movie. some great names like Jesse eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Will.i.am, Jamie Foxx, and George lopez are fun to follow the story line with. the ending was expected, happy, blah blah, but the middle, and how it happens is the best part. the amazing colors are a great sight on the Movie. some songs, of course (theres will.i.am, and Jamie foxx! who didnt expect a song or two??) were fun to listen too. although i have to take a point for humor, (Eh...) it was a great movie overall Expand
  7. May 6, 2011
    Rio is fantastically made. The animation is on the level of Dreamworks and Pixar, especially with the attention to details in the feathers, markings on the beaks, etc. Although some people would say that the plot was predictable, what movie doesn't really? Stop being overly critical on the subject and see it for what it is. Does it deliver the message/story properly and in a entertaining way? Yes? There you go... Alas, Rio is definitely a must watch and you won't be disappointed. Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2011
    Awesome animated movie ! Everything was fun : the songs, the characters, the animation, the landscape, everything ! I liked Jemaine Clement as the villain (the voice of Nigel), he was funny. It was great to watch an animated movie in Brazil (finally, an other country than U.S.A), it made it different. The kids will LOVE '' Rio ", seriously they were having a good time . The 3-D effects were cool. It's worth watching it. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    Rio is a charming and fun romp through a samba themed movie. This setting allows for great color usage by the animators and this makes for a very vibrant and "warm," if you will, movie going experience. The movie also had it's funny moments and I couldn't help but love the characters. They added a lot of variety as if there wasn't enough! Go ahead and check it out!
  10. Apr 15, 2011
    The movie Rio was finally released in theaters today after many months of anticipation. This is perhaps the largest and most prominent feature film centered around parrots ever. From a parrot owner's perspective, this is my impression of the movie as well as the realism of parrot ownership that it conveys.

The story opens in the forest outside off Rio De Janeiro where birds do morning
    song and dance ritual. While the singing/dancing is of course personified, it certainly alludes to the natural morning song that birds sing.

We get our first glimpse of Blu, the movie's hero, as a baby in a nest cavity. Parrots nest in cavities rather than building nests on branches so this was an accurate depiction. Blu is captured by poachers and smuggled to Minnesota. Like in half the pet featured movies out there, the crate carrying the hero character falls out of a truck and is discovered by the future owner. Not only does this make the owner appear benevolent for saving a lost animal, but it also absolves the owner from responsibility for buying into the illegal pet trade. However, there is actually some truth to the matter.

Rio is actually partly based on a true story and a real species of Macaw. The movie simply refers to Blu as a Blue Macaw, however, at a later point in the movie Cyanopsitta Spixii species is mentioned. The Spix Macaw is one of four Blue Macaw species and was endemic to Brazil. However, due to poaching and deforestation of their natural habitat, Spix Macaws went extinct in the wild in the year 2000. Nonetheless, over 60 Spix macaws have been known to remain in captivity after their wild counterparts went extinct. Two years after the last Spix was observed in the wild, a veterinarian in the the United States was shocked to be consulted by an owner of one in Denver.

11. May 9, 2011
    A great adventure that everybody will love. That has great actors, beautiful presentation, and an adventurous story that makes this a must have (or watch since it is not on Blu-ray yet).
  12. Jun 21, 2011
    This straightforward movie hits great heights thanks to its colorful visual palette, catchy music, and perfect vocal performances.
  13. Sep 2, 2011
    A beautiful movie with great characters, amazing animation, great (albeit familiar) story, and awesome soundtrack. While it feels a little short, it certainly soared above most movies released this year.
  14. Sep 3, 2011
    Rio is a fantastic movie. Its a heartwarming story. Its perfect for kids and even adults. The animations are fantastic. This is a must watch movie for people of any ages.
  15. Dec 6, 2011
    One of the best non-Disney/Pixar C.G.I. animated films I have seen in quite some time, "Rio" is a film filled with stunning animation, great characters, wonderful music, and everything comes together in a very cohesive, very believable way. Blu, a rare type of Macaw who has never learned how to fly, must embark on the adventure of his lifetime with the strong, independent Jewl, a female Macaw of his kind; both around and in the city of Rio De Janierio, Brazil. The film both figuratively, and literally soars with great moments for many of the characters featured within this movie. The heart of this movie is that there's a strong message, that by believing in yourself, there's almost no limit to what you can achieve. I loved this movie in theaters, and I can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray, literally! I highly recommend it for the entire family to see and enjoy! Enough said! Expand
  16. May 31, 2011
    Way cool kids movie. Kids loved great and good adult humor. Jamie Fox, Will I. Am, and George Lopez were totally funny. A definite go see. I will own on DVD/Blue Ray once released.
  17. Sep 12, 2011
    Rio is one of the movies that I love. The director put in a effort by adding extra songs. It is cute because it is animated and a bit sad because the boy was poor. The carnival looked outstanding. I wish I stayed in rio de janerio.
  18. Jun 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Interesting movie for kids and adults about very existing adventure. Soundtracks were excellent.
    The story and characters were great, so it needs to be continued...
  19. Aug 8, 2011
    This is one of the best movies I've ever seen, and I've seen many films since the 50's. This movie is colorful and beautiful, giving the viewer a perfect picture of Rio de Janeiro. The characters are witty and have various different personalities, making each scene unique and full of life. The Samba and Dancing play an important part in this film as it's an important aspect of the movie's location. Though the story is predictable, many successful films are. It's about the ride, not the destination in this film. This movie is a must see. Expand
  20. Oct 22, 2011
    Just watched this and i think it was awesome. (Im 18 by the way) The animations, music, characters and jokes were all fantastic. And some nice voices from Anne Hathaway Tracy Morgan and Will.I.Am (he has got so distinctive voice that you know at the first time you hear it) made this all even more fun. I hope there will be a sequel, About the return of Nigel. I am definitely going to watch this at least 1 more time! Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2011
    A really cute movie, extremely suitable for family viewing. It is a story of discovering and defining who you are, and even grown-ups can relate to the characters. The story line, however, seems a little too predictable. Yet, it is a great movie and highly recommended.
  22. Dec 4, 2011
    Carlos Saldanha has absolutely blown my mind with a stunning and enjoyable adventure about a simple bird named Blu. It's good to see the Ice Age director whip up something brilliant after his mediocre (and desperate) effort at the Ice Age trilogy; Rio brings to life numerous emotions and reactions from the audience that can only be connected by a brilliant storyline and intriguing characters. I've never been much of a fan of celebrity voices in CGI movies, but this has made me contemplate that notion on a level I've never felt before.

Rio is a roller-coaster of a film with more ups and downs than Blackpool's Big Dipper. The characters are kept at that balance where the main characters are focused upon, yet not so much that they make other characters fizzle into the background. Every character plays their role in what I deem to be one of the movies of the year. I have seen many people dislike the storyline but, in my honest opinion, the storyline Rio presents will take some beating by the chart-busting wizards at Pixar and Dreamworks. With more films like this, Saldanha's name will go up in lights.
  23. Apr 20, 2013
    Certainly one of the most colourful films I've ever seen, combined with efficient musical numbers and a strong storyline and moral. The voice acting works perfectly and the characters are lovable, making this a very suitable family film.
  24. Oct 27, 2012
    This film is simply amazing, from the visuals to the characters I enjoyed every moment and would reccomend everyone sees it. Apparently there is also a sequel coming out in 2012 which I look forward to.
  25. Mar 4, 2013
    The movie is very good. I love the song in the movie, the laugh, but one thing that i don;t like is the story line is too predictable
  26. Apr 16, 2014
    "Rio is a tropical beauty "............................................................................................................................

1. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Apr 21, 2011
    A brightly-colored, dizzying pinwheel of 3D animation in which nothing much happens. Sounds like summer is here early.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Apr 21, 2011
    So does Rio measure up to the insanely great standard set by Pixar? Visually, yes.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Apr 15, 2011
    Notwithstanding some allusions to "Lady and the Tramp," the characters and their comic high jinks are nothing special, but the the getaway gives us spectacular 3-D images of the city.