Rio

Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: April 15, 2011
7.7
Generally favorable reviews based on 361 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Check box if your review contains spoilers 0 characteres (5000 max)
FilmQueenOct 30, 2015
This is a nice, cute movie that your kids might enjoy, nothing is wrong with it, but it just does not have anything that could entertain me. It's not funny enough, the songs are not good enough, the story is not interesting enough. It's mediocre.
beingryanjudeSep 3, 2014
Rio is a brightly animated adventure through the lives of countless animals (mostly, gorgeous birds) throughout Brazil. You'll fall for the blue macaws and will be humming the tunes all night.
JacobApr 5, 2014
Rio is a movie that started out really promising. There were one or two pretty good songs (with the opening being the highlight of the film). The characters were likeable and the film genuinely had heart. However, somewhere a little before orRio is a movie that started out really promising. There were one or two pretty good songs (with the opening being the highlight of the film). The characters were likeable and the film genuinely had heart. However, somewhere a little before or after the halfway point the film lots its way (probably due to the five writers on this film which is never something you want to do). The film sort of chucks its heart out the window in favor of being hip with some annoying characters and humor that will probably entertain kids. Speaking of which as far as kids movie goes its alright and by no means the worst I’ve ever seen. If you have kids show them this film they will probably really like. If you are an adult, you’ll get through it ok because the animation is really good and there a some nice songs. However, outside of some nice presentation and a couple good songs this film doesn’t have much to offer. Check it out if you want but in all honesty you can just watch the opening song and you’ll be set. Expand
jeff_reviewsJul 6, 2013
"Rio"'s lush landscape and vivid score can make up for its cheap humor and kiddie elements (alot of pop culture references). While its story isn't that bad, it is somehow a little wasted from its complete use of comic relief characters (I"Rio"'s lush landscape and vivid score can make up for its cheap humor and kiddie elements (alot of pop culture references). While its story isn't that bad, it is somehow a little wasted from its complete use of comic relief characters (I mean, a dancing bird with a had. Seriously). The love story between birds aren't that bad and the story to bring them together because of science is rather an interesting concept, except to the fact that the story revolving around that concept isn't too well executed. It would have been interesting if "Pixar's Newt" came out to compare with this film, but unfortunately Newt was cancelled with concern of this film. "Rio" is fine, but could have dropped all the pop culture references and the comic relief characters, to have become much better. Expand
TitaniumDragonJun 16, 2012
Rio suffers from a few major problems, but all of them fundamentally come down to writing and bad dialogue. In particular, a number of scenes are simply painful to listen to, with many of the voice actors' lines feeling forced rather thanRio suffers from a few major problems, but all of them fundamentally come down to writing and bad dialogue. In particular, a number of scenes are simply painful to listen to, with many of the voice actors' lines feeling forced rather than natural - the dialogue often does not flow properly, and their attempts at making Blu funny mostly fail, because he doesn't fail in a manner which makes sense. Yes, he's a dork, but people don't talk like that!

It doesn't help that they shoehorned in a pair of rappers, one of whom (Will.I.Am) is really very painful to listen to, isn't very talented (his singing is so bad that the OTHER RAPPER actually shuts him down -in the movie-. Both characters are entirely extraneous and were obviously shoehorned in for mass appeal, but Pedro (Will.I.Am's character) makes the movie worse for his presence, and the other does nothing to enhance it.

On the upside, some of the music is quite good, the plotline is okay (though again, the dialogue makes the mandatory romance feel very forced), and the animation is beautiful and colorful.
AwesomeReviewerMar 26, 2012
The story in â
heyitsmegrif4Dec 30, 2011
It has just colorful animation, funny voice acting, and a lot of cleverness along with some just fantastic music. Rio does suffer because it isn't as funny as it should be which can make it quite boring. I give this movie 63%.
ZilcellNov 20, 2011
While it may be very predictable it has good execution of story. The visuals are great and it can be funny at times. Great for children and adults.
lovemusicMay 31, 2011
just a regular movie for kids. little kids would enjoy this movie. i thought it was okay. it wasn't a movie i could remember watching in a few years.
BikerjamesApr 25, 2011
Overall the animation is very good, although I did not like some of the backdrops that looked liked cheaply drawn watercolor and did not match the crispness of the rest of the film. This is a very colorful, highly energetic film. TheOverall the animation is very good, although I did not like some of the backdrops that looked liked cheaply drawn watercolor and did not match the crispness of the rest of the film. This is a very colorful, highly energetic film. The filmmakers make a mistake that many current animated films make, however, they rely almost entirely on the visuals for the humor. I saw this in a theater filled with kids and many were restless and not paying attention (unlike most Pixar films where kids are totally into it). This film needed more HUMOR, and I'm talking about humor coming from the written word. The music throughout was good and energetic. I believe this was made by the "Ice Age" studio, as a "Scrat" cartoon was shown at the start. I'm not a big fan of the Ice Age movies either because of the lack of humor (although the first one was pretty good). Please hire better script writers. Expand
bikemanApr 17, 2011
Yes this is colorful and the animation is well done. However the story and characters were not very engaging. The plotline was very predictable. There were a few funny moments but they were few and far between. I like most animation inYes this is colorful and the animation is well done. However the story and characters were not very engaging. The plotline was very predictable. There were a few funny moments but they were few and far between. I like most animation in this genre, but about half way through this film I was looking at my watch, wondering when it would end. This is an OK movie to take the kids to, but you may want to wait until it comes out on DVD. Expand
RJSmooveApr 15, 2011
Perfect for kids, but as much for adults. It's decent, not great, and certainly won't be remembered like Pixar and many DreamWorks films later on down thel ine.