7.4

1. Oct 14, 2014
    With the art style of William Joyce, DreamWorks Animation, it reminds me of Disney's Meet the Robinsons, and Blue Sky's Robots for its unique designs. The story is okay not great, but it works I guess.
  2. Jul 23, 2014
    My brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interesting plot. The pacing for me is for me just like the voice of HAL from '2001' is monotone. Plus, the action is completely unnecessary in an animated fantasy about something that adheres to young children, for the most part. A lot of things could have been taken out and a lot of things added that could make this movie more entertaining and thoughtful. Expand
  3. Rem
    Jun 1, 2014
    Without a doubt this movie tries to be more than what it is. Dreamworks hit a new low with this film, and it shows in their completely annoying and idiotic character Jack Frost. Also while I understand that this is a children's movies, some of the dialogue is incredibly cringeworthy and the jokes come up empty. The animations are decent, but the idea of listening to Chris Pine's effort in trying to portray a clueless teen boy, it's just not worth it. Expand
  4. Jan 25, 2014
    This movie has a great feel to it. The voicing is incredible and brings the whole film to life. The visual effects are out of this world, everything down to the lighting, the colour and detail is out of this world. I have never seen an animation as beautiful and awe-inspiring as this.
    I most of all love the new take on the characters. The Russian Santa clause (known as North in the film)
    is so different and I love that. The fact that Tooth has little helpers is much more realistic than the conventional concept of the tooth fairy doing it all on her own. I especially love the fun and loving take on Jack Frost, depicting him as a youthful, fun character who loves having a bit of a good around with the children rather than an evil, middle-aged villain. My favourite character has to be the Easter bunny. The Australian accent, the Aussie idioms thrown in by Hugh just make the dialogue that much better, and what a great idea to have boomerangs as weapons! Even pitch black is a pretty awesome character (despite being the ultimate villain, the boogeyman). Jude law is the perfect voice for this character, his velvet voice is absolutely incredible and completes this character as well as the whole movie. I love that the characters are all depicted as superheroes in the fight scenes, all with their own quirky powers. Of course, some people who lack imagination and wonder may find this film boring, repetitive or just stupid. But if you look at and appreciate the finer parts of this movie, some of which I have listed above (voicing, visual effects, originality of the characters etc, then I think you will find this film extremely enjoyable and very fun. Over all, this movie (in my opinion) is breathtaking, fun, excitable and extremely beautiful, but obviously it won't be some peoples cup of tea. Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So far this movie has many things I liked, I liked the animation and the idea of Holiday icons being transformed into protectors of children. But I know several people, including my English teacher finds that idea absurd, but... I didn't think it was absurd at all. The characters were pretty much people I could sympathize with in real life. They all have strengths and flaws that make them believable, including North(Santa Claus) who puts kids on 'Nice' and 'Naughty' lists(tattoos) and Pitch(the Boogeyman who always felt alone). I also admire that rival- brotherly relationship with Jack and Bunnymund, they were funny and likable wherever they went, the part where Bunny gets furious at Jack was also pretty sad, it shows that their relationship was not perfect. I also liked how Tooth Fairy(the only female Guardian) wasn't treated as just a love-interest or a refrigerator victim(Sandman instead) throughout the movie, she can be aggressive if anyone messes with her friends and family. The fatherly/or grandfatherly bond between Jack and North was also pretty loving, since Jack hasn't lived with his family for many years, North also guides Jack to find his "center" in which it makes him a Guardian. The relationship I loved the most was between Jamie Bennett(Jack's first believer) and Jack Frost, they were both like real siblings ever since Jack followed him around ever since that sleigh ride. Jack Frost was my favorite out of all the characters since he may be a trickster, but is a kind, heroic person, especially to children.

Positives:Beautiful animation, wonderful music, battle sequences, playful humor, excellent voice-acting, interesting storylines, and characters

Negatives:Not many females, 300 years is too long, why can't anyone rescue Jack from drowning?, what type of English did people use during Jack's time when he was human?
  6. Jan 23, 2014
    I was born in the early 90's so I got to grow up seeing a lot of those old claymation films about Santa Claus, Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny etc.. so this was really cool for me to be able to relive my childhood in a way that's new and actually interesting for someone my age. The character designs are great, personalities are fun, and animation is gorgeous. Another thing I love is the deeply meaningful story underlying the protagonist in a way that is fitting for young children, but only truly comprehensible and appreciated by the more mature audience, keeping teenagers and adults entertained along with the children. Expand
  7. Jan 13, 2014
    A fun and exciting kids flick with a lot of heart and soul. The only thing that surprised me was the portrayal of children as quite flippant in their belief system.
  8. Dec 16, 2013
    While not one of the best, Rise of the Guardians will surely entertain the young and the young at heart with its likable characters and its action-packed scenes.
  9. Aug 24, 2013
    OK, so I saw the trailers and I really wanted to see this, and it was good, but I`t just didn`t have the magic to to meet my expectations. Rise of the Guardians has a good message and I give it points for that, but the movie overall was nothing amazing.
  10. Aug 22, 2013
    While there are certain things in the film could have been handled better the stuff that is good in this movie is unbeliavblely good. The world of the guardians and their powers make this film enjoyable to watch. This is a great movie for kids and even adults to a certain extent and make sure you watch it in 3D because it only adds to the experience.
  11. Aug 18, 2013
    DreamWorks once again proves it knows how to make an excellent looking animated movie while still maintaining the clever writing that brings the laughs. Surprisingly enough this is not only a movie that your kids will enjoy, but you will as well. Once again DreamWorks assembles some big names to create another astounding voice cast. The writing is excellent providing an great plot and tons of humor. It manages to harness that childish energy that reminds us why these fictional characters are so loved, and how much fun and joy it brought to believe in them. Animated kid movies rarely get much better than this outside of Pixar, but DreamWorks proves that it has what it takes to stand along side them. Expand
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    The Movie is so bad in parts that it is funny, HAS SOME AWESOME ACTION IN IT THOUGH AND HAS A DECENT STORY LINE, not worth paying money for just wait till its on TV or download it, Average at best and the film has one of the best quotes of all time, "If u hear the moon talking to u, Listing to it", So bad that it is good.
  13. Jul 7, 2013
    imagine the avengers who meeting the child's world and it gives "rise of the guardians"
    all the characters is here the santa claus the Tooth Fairy easter bunny, sandman.
    I confess I did not know who was jack frost
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    "Rise of the Guardians" may have some issues with pacing, but it's a visual wonder, and will delight a child's eye. The art displayed in the film is beautiful, and you sometimes cannot help to feel magical with your favorite childhood heroes on the big screen once again.
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    "While its not going to earn "classic" status, it still on more than one occasion gets the job done. Its the Avengers for kids, it has action, laughs and a great story. It reminds us all the fun it was to be a kid again & to never forget what's important" B+
  16. Apr 24, 2013
    A decent holiday movie. Interesting and unique story and view on classic characters. Just a shame the story felt a little too underwhelming. Animation is superb, voice acting great. Chris Pine is perhaps a bit too average sounding for the role. I never in a million years would have spotted Alec Baldwin, he is funny and more or less steals the show as far as the voice talent is concerned. Pitch Black is an interesting take on the boogyman character, but also a bit too non-threatening. Comes accross a more like a creepy accountant than a main villain.

Overall:
    A nice fun film form the holidays that had me smiling most of the way through. It could have been better, but for what it is, it is great!
  17. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing film I really enjoyed watching it. It's great how it brings well known and love characters to life and creates the feeling that they all know each other. A good all round fun family film. I could watch it over and over again. This film also gives a very good visual idea of the characters and the places they come from. This movie also encourage team work and belief in yourself. I would give it a 30000/100 Expand
  18. Apr 14, 2013
    One of the most underrated animated films of all time. May not be as visually impressive as I hoped it would be but I fell in love with the characters, They are simply too awesome not to like. It's rare that I enjoy a film as much as I did this one, I actually broke out smiling during the end and didn't stop until it was over, It's a very cute film that I am sure kids and adults will enjoy. The only negative thing I can say about it is that the plot is a little shallow, Dialogue isn't as good as I hoped it would be. However, I enjoyed this film so much that I can overlook that. I would highly recommend due to the incredibly likeable characters and how much originality the film has. Expand
  19. Mar 31, 2013
    A Christmas movie where the Easter Bunny, Santa, Sandman, the Tooth fairy and Jack Frost form a souped-up action team who protect the children from Pitch Black (the Boogeyman). It's better than it sounds on paper with great animation and voice acting but the story is very predictable with the obligatory happy end. The target adience is kids between 7 to 15 so I guess we can forgive them
  20. Mar 26, 2013
    First off, I love animated films. I thought this movie was really good as it gave us an insight how the Guardians work, even if it was a bit cheesy at times! And I'm fourteen and I loved this film so that just goes to show it doesn't matter what age you are, animation is always good!
  21. Mar 19, 2013
    I have to start by saying that i am a big fan of Animated movies. This movie is just Hollywood trash. It has the same CGI, actions and stupid jokes as the typical Hollywood movies these days with no sense of story or screenplay. The movie is just boring. They try to make you feel amazed by throwing some graphics but it is just boring.
  22. Mar 19, 2013
    i love love love this film. The characters,the story line, everything. Definitely a top film. Although it is aimed at children, this is totally a full age friendly film.
    Pitch Black is a complex character and at some parts you almost feel sorry for him... until he is a complete dooshbag yet again.

Would definitely recommend.
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    It wars really fun to watch and this is the holiday movies that children need. I really like this animated movie. It was visually great and if you have time to watch it, then watch it.
  24. Feb 26, 2013
    Enjoyable but derivative, Rise of the Guardians is a typical Dreamworks' animated fare that kids will like, but will not resonate as well as their other works. If you want a better treatment of this type of story, then look no further than Dreamworks' own Kung Fu Panda or How to Train a Dragon.
  25. Feb 2, 2013
    The animation in this film was spectacular. However, the plot was quite boring for me, and was extremely cliched. The same general plot has been used many times in the past, and it wasn't like this movie executed it any better. The pacing had many problems, and the villain wasn't all that intimidating. This movie would get a 7/10 from me, simply because of its awesome animation.
  26. Jan 24, 2013
    Rise of the Guardians is a fun and exciting animated movie that both kids and adults will love, but it also feels like it has a story that has been done many times before. We all believed in these holiday figures when we were kids, I loved thinking about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny coming into my home and leaving me presents and eggs, and that is part of the charm of this movie. The writers know that kids and adults all loved these figures at one point in their life, and so making a movie where they all team up to protect us actually sounds like a lot of fun. The movie has a lot of likable characters and has a lot of heart, so you can believe me when I say that this is a very good film. But I also felt like this kind of story has been done many times before and that I could predict how this movie was going to play out. I saw "Wreck-It Ralph" a few weeks ago and it was one of the most original animated movies I have seen in several years, and that is what made it a terrific film. This story is a lot of fun, but I just wish that they had tried harder to make it more original for the adults. But I must also remember that this is a children's movie, and the children are going to have a lot of fun here. This is pretty much an animated version of "The Avengers" since both films involve heroes all teaming up to save the world. I really enjoyed this movie and I had a really fun time, and despite my small problem with the story, this is still a good movie that people of all ages will enjoy and have a fun time. Expand
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    Rise of the Guardians is a movie that will take you to your childhood, not only because of the characters, but also because of the topic that treats, which is the searching of your own being. This last thing is represented by Jack Frost, who is trying to discover his purpose in life and what he has to do; all this presented as his center, that he must find out in order to help the children of the world. The others guardians already discovered their center, which are wonder of Santa Claus, hope of the Easter Bunny, dreams of Sandman and memories of the Tooth Fairy. With all this things the children can have a beautiful life and be protected from their fears, characterized by the Boogeyman. These characters are very well constructed, because every single one of them has his own personality, which includes ambitions and worries, highlighting Jack Frost, Santa and Pitch. The only failure of this film is that falls into the typical struggle between good and evil and at the end it becomes totally predictable. Expand
  28. Jan 2, 2013
    Visually delicious with an original and very dark story. Both for adults and kids. Stunning animation. Highly recommended. I loved it. I love lamp. Blah blah blah
  29. Dec 29, 2012
    Much more aimed at the kids then I anticipated, Rise is a gorgeous looking piece of animation but ever so dull with it. There's not enough humour for my taste and despite the set-up its played very straight. I'm sure kids will love it but it doesnt have the wider appeal of something like Shrek or Tangled.
  30. Dec 25, 2012
    Rise of the Guardians has a lovely concept about these imaginary childhood legends. It tells a fascinating new mythology about them. It sets out to be highly imaginative and thoroughly heartfelt. With these people making this film, there is no surprise that they succeeded to execute those ambitions. Though, the storytelling is a bit messy with endless action set pieces. Despite of those flaws, it's still whimsically magical and heartwarming.

The story centers a childhood guardian, Jack Frost. Among the guardians, he's the least known and believed by the children. It's pretty interesting since most of us only know very little about him, we intend to intrigue about his story. When it goes to the famous legends, it gets bigger and quicker with plenty of humor. The film is also an action movie. The action scenes are amazingly done and eye candy, but they somehow get excessive causing a bit mess to the storyline. It's charming when they go to their relationship with the children, and it's appealing when it explores to their worlds.

The characters are wonderful enough. The voice performances are great. Chris Pine's performance is charming enough to keep Jack Frost pretty endearing. Alec Baldwin brings plenty of joy to his character. Hugh Jackman uses his Australian accent to the Easter Bunny which really fits to the character. The rest are unexpectedly delightful.

The visuals are undeniably astonishing. Every scene of the film is spectacular and beautiful to look at, making the experience very magical. The 3D enhances the experience more or less. The character designs are inspired. I bet many would love the Sandman's that looks so lovable. And the music score adds sweetness to the sequences.

Rise of the Guardians is a little bit disappointing but also a bit satisfying. It has the heart in a right amount but only the half of the film. The rest is all action and having fun, but it's not a bad thing. They just could have moderated the craziness and get a bit of focus to the storyline. The film is still worth watching. It can be a classic if it has a better storytelling but if you don't care then that won't be a problem. Overall, it's filled with excitement and beautiful animation. Rise of the Guardians can be considered one of the great films of the year.

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 26, 2012
    It's gorgeously designed, deftly written and frequently laugh-out-loud funny. For child or adult, this is a fantasy to get lost in.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Nov 25, 2012
    More "oooh… aaah" than "ho-ho-ho", ROTG is so full of yuletide razzmatazz that only true Scrooges will have trouble stomaching it. If only Santa's workshop had given the script more of a tinker...
  3. Reviewed by: Jody Mitori
    Nov 23, 2012
    The Guardians make a winning team that is a prime candidate for a sequel, just like "The Avengers."