7.4

1. Apr 14, 2013
    One of the most underrated animated films of all time. May not be as visually impressive as I hoped it would be but I fell in love with the characters, They are simply too awesome not to like. It's rare that I enjoy a film as much as I did this one, I actually broke out smiling during the end and didn't stop until it was over, It's a very cute film that I am sure kids and adults willOne of the most underrated animated films of all time. May not be as visually impressive as I hoped it would be but I fell in love with the characters, They are simply too awesome not to like. It's rare that I enjoy a film as much as I did this one, I actually broke out smiling during the end and didn't stop until it was over, It's a very cute film that I am sure kids and adults will enjoy. The only negative thing I can say about it is that the plot is a little shallow, Dialogue isn't as good as I hoped it would be. However, I enjoyed this film so much that I can overlook that. I would highly recommend due to the incredibly likeable characters and how much originality the film has. Expand
  2. Aug 18, 2013
    DreamWorks once again proves it knows how to make an excellent looking animated movie while still maintaining the clever writing that brings the laughs. Surprisingly enough this is not only a movie that your kids will enjoy, but you will as well. Once again DreamWorks assembles some big names to create another astounding voice cast. The writing is excellent providing an great plot and tonsDreamWorks once again proves it knows how to make an excellent looking animated movie while still maintaining the clever writing that brings the laughs. Surprisingly enough this is not only a movie that your kids will enjoy, but you will as well. Once again DreamWorks assembles some big names to create another astounding voice cast. The writing is excellent providing an great plot and tons of humor. It manages to harness that childish energy that reminds us why these fictional characters are so loved, and how much fun and joy it brought to believe in them. Animated kid movies rarely get much better than this outside of Pixar, but DreamWorks proves that it has what it takes to stand along side them. Expand
  3. Nov 25, 2012
    I expected this movie to get the same lazy story treatment that Gnomeo and Juliet had, but it turns out to be much more. Its sorta the kids version of The Avengers. It has the heart of "The Polar Express" but with action like "The Incredibles". Theres even a deeper meaning behind the movie. Its about dreaming and believing as a kid so that you can succeed as an adult as well. If you likedI expected this movie to get the same lazy story treatment that Gnomeo and Juliet had, but it turns out to be much more. Its sorta the kids version of The Avengers. It has the heart of "The Polar Express" but with action like "The Incredibles". Theres even a deeper meaning behind the movie. Its about dreaming and believing as a kid so that you can succeed as an adult as well. If you liked holiday classics such as "The Polar Express" or "Arthur", then I think you'll enjoy "Rise of the Guardians". Expand
  4. Jul 23, 2014
    My brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interesting plot. The pacing for me is for me just like the voice of HAL from '2001' is monotone. Plus, the action is completely unnecessary in an animatedMy brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interesting plot. The pacing for me is for me just like the voice of HAL from '2001' is monotone. Plus, the action is completely unnecessary in an animated fantasy about something that adheres to young children, for the most part. A lot of things could have been taken out and a lot of things added that could make this movie more entertaining and thoughtful. Expand
  5. Apr 24, 2013
    A decent holiday movie. Interesting and unique story and view on classic characters. Just a shame the story felt a little too underwhelming. Animation is superb, voice acting great. Chris Pine is perhaps a bit too average sounding for the role. I never in a million years would have spotted Alec Baldwin, he is funny and more or less steals the show as far as the voice talent is concerned.A decent holiday movie. Interesting and unique story and view on classic characters. Just a shame the story felt a little too underwhelming. Animation is superb, voice acting great. Chris Pine is perhaps a bit too average sounding for the role. I never in a million years would have spotted Alec Baldwin, he is funny and more or less steals the show as far as the voice talent is concerned. Pitch Black is an interesting take on the boogyman character, but also a bit too non-threatening. Comes accross a more like a creepy accountant than a main villain.

Overall:
    A nice fun film form the holidays that had me smiling most of the way through. It could have been better, but for what it is, it is great!
  6. Nov 26, 2012
    Visually, the animation is outstanding. Dreamworks already proved they were among the best animators with "How to Train Your Dragon". The 3D is also excellent. Unfortunately, the story fell a little flat and predictable for me. The moral of the movie, "It's real if you only believe", has been done many times in movies, and as recently as "Polar Express" a few years ago. Polar ExpressVisually, the animation is outstanding. Dreamworks already proved they were among the best animators with "How to Train Your Dragon". The 3D is also excellent. Unfortunately, the story fell a little flat and predictable for me. The moral of the movie, "It's real if you only believe", has been done many times in movies, and as recently as "Polar Express" a few years ago. Polar Express was a better movie for me than this one. Still, the outstanding visuals kept my interest the entire movie and I recommend it on that basis alone. Expand
  7. Aug 22, 2013
    While there are certain things in the film could have been handled better the stuff that is good in this movie is unbeliavblely good. The world of the guardians and their powers make this film enjoyable to watch. This is a great movie for kids and even adults to a certain extent and make sure you watch it in 3D because it only adds to the experience.
  8. Aug 24, 2013
    OK, so I saw the trailers and I really wanted to see this, and it was good, but I`t just didn`t have the magic to to meet my expectations. Rise of the Guardians has a good message and I give it points for that, but the movie overall was nothing amazing.
  9. Jan 13, 2014
    A fun and exciting kids flick with a lot of heart and soul. The only thing that surprised me was the portrayal of children as quite flippant in their belief system.
  10. Jun 4, 2013
    "While its not going to earn "classic" status, it still on more than one occasion gets the job done. Its the Avengers for kids, it has action, laughs and a great story. It reminds us all the fun it was to be a kid again & to never forget what's important" B+
  11. Dec 8, 2012
    Rise of the Guardians has really great action scenes. Visually striking, very entertaining but it's not so good in storytelling. A sort of Avengers set in school set, intriguing.
  12. Feb 26, 2013
    Enjoyable but derivative, Rise of the Guardians is a typical Dreamworks' animated fare that kids will like, but will not resonate as well as their other works. If you want a better treatment of this type of story, then look no further than Dreamworks' own Kung Fu Panda or How to Train a Dragon.
  13. Jul 4, 2013
    "Rise of the Guardians" may have some issues with pacing, but it's a visual wonder, and will delight a child's eye. The art displayed in the film is beautiful, and you sometimes cannot help to feel magical with your favorite childhood heroes on the big screen once again.
  14. Jan 15, 2013
    Rise of the Guardians is a movie that will take you to your childhood, not only because of the characters, but also because of the topic that treats, which is the searching of your own being. This last thing is represented by Jack Frost, who is trying to discover his purpose in life and what he has to do; all this presented as his center, that he must find out in order to help the childrenRise of the Guardians is a movie that will take you to your childhood, not only because of the characters, but also because of the topic that treats, which is the searching of your own being. This last thing is represented by Jack Frost, who is trying to discover his purpose in life and what he has to do; all this presented as his center, that he must find out in order to help the children of the world. The others guardians already discovered their center, which are wonder of Santa Claus, hope of the Easter Bunny, dreams of Sandman and memories of the Tooth Fairy. With all this things the children can have a beautiful life and be protected from their fears, characterized by the Boogeyman. These characters are very well constructed, because every single one of them has his own personality, which includes ambitions and worries, highlighting Jack Frost, Santa and Pitch. The only failure of this film is that falls into the typical struggle between good and evil and at the end it becomes totally predictable. Expand
  15. Mar 31, 2013
    A Christmas movie where the Easter Bunny, Santa, Sandman, the Tooth fairy and Jack Frost form a souped-up action team who protect the children from Pitch Black (the Boogeyman). It's better than it sounds on paper with great animation and voice acting but the story is very predictable with the obligatory happy end. The target adience is kids between 7 to 15 so I guess we can forgive them
  16. Dec 2, 2012
    Rise of the Guardians is an animated film of 2012 directed by Peter Ramsey.
    Rise of the Guardians is an animated film of 2012 directed by Peter Ramsey.
    When Pitch, the black man, threatens to destroy the imagination of children, guardians, Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Sandman come together to defeat him. The man in the moon, however, reveals that they will join a new guardian and that is Jack Frost, the spirit of the snow that as opposed to other guardians can not be seen by people.
    The film has a simple plot but full of found really original, dramatic moments, fun and exciting. The thing that you notice about this movie is, above all, the characterization of the characters. No one is left in the background and you end up adoring all. Pitch is very well characterized and is a great evil, intelligent and duplicitous. The technical department is done really well and also the music.
  17. Dec 6, 2012
    Rise Of The Guardians is a fractured 3-D fairy tale
  18. Dec 16, 2013
    While not one of the best, Rise of the Guardians will surely entertain the young and the young at heart with its likable characters and its action-packed scenes.
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    The Movie is so bad in parts that it is funny, HAS SOME AWESOME ACTION IN IT THOUGH AND HAS A DECENT STORY LINE, not worth paying money for just wait till its on TV or download it, Average at best and the film has one of the best quotes of all time, "If u hear the moon talking to u, Listing to it", So bad that it is good.
  20. Oct 14, 2014
    With the art style of William Joyce, DreamWorks Animation, it reminds me of Disney's Meet the Robinsons, and Blue Sky's Robots for its unique designs. The story is okay not great, but it works I guess.
  21. Dec 14, 2012
    Average kid movie. My daughter asked why the movie was like all the other movies she had seen, and she's only eight. The plot is tired, though the film was beautiful artistically. Also, a bit too much action. It seems that today, kids are being fed nonstop action in films. One note, though, my kids, after watching this film were convinced that Santa Claus wasn't real. They went inAverage kid movie. My daughter asked why the movie was like all the other movies she had seen, and she's only eight. The plot is tired, though the film was beautiful artistically. Also, a bit too much action. It seems that today, kids are being fed nonstop action in films. One note, though, my kids, after watching this film were convinced that Santa Claus wasn't real. They went in believing and came out doubting. Mostly like the tattooed Russian bully posing as Santa in the film, didn't jive with their more innocent view of him. Strange. This movie was basically a pass for us. Expand
  22. Zal
    Dec 23, 2012
    I wished I liked this movie more. Honestly, it was a mixed bag. On the upside, the animation and designs of the characters and settings were unbelievably creative (especially the Tooth Fairy). All of the different worlds were stunning, including the villain's lair. I also like how Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Sandman were re-imagined. My favorite character would have toI wished I liked this movie more. Honestly, it was a mixed bag. On the upside, the animation and designs of the characters and settings were unbelievably creative (especially the Tooth Fairy). All of the different worlds were stunning, including the villain's lair. I also like how Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Sandman were re-imagined. My favorite character would have to be Russian Santa voiced by, get this, Alec Baldwin.
    However, there were many noticeable flaws. The story was kind of generic. It's the typical "you just gotta believe" message. Also, I couldn't get into Jack Frost. He's not a bad character by any means, but he wasn't a strong or interesting enough character to be the main focus of the film and it's especially more obvious when you see just how inventive the rest of the characters were. As for the villain, I wanted to like him, but...urgh. He wasn't that intimidating and he came across as very prissy.
    Overall, this movie was fine. There was definitely a lot of effort put into this film and for a first time director, it was really good. It just could have used some major changes in the story. This wasn't the best kids movie to come out this year, but it was satisfying enough. If you're an animation fan, check it out.
  23. Dec 29, 2012
    Much more aimed at the kids then I anticipated, Rise is a gorgeous looking piece of animation but ever so dull with it. There's not enough humour for my taste and despite the set-up its played very straight. I'm sure kids will love it but it doesnt have the wider appeal of something like Shrek or Tangled.
  24. Jan 24, 2013
    Rise of the Guardians is a fun and exciting animated movie that both kids and adults will love, but it also feels like it has a story that has been done many times before. We all believed in these holiday figures when we were kids, I loved thinking about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny coming into my home and leaving me presents and eggs, and that is part of the charm of this movie. TheRise of the Guardians is a fun and exciting animated movie that both kids and adults will love, but it also feels like it has a story that has been done many times before. We all believed in these holiday figures when we were kids, I loved thinking about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny coming into my home and leaving me presents and eggs, and that is part of the charm of this movie. The writers know that kids and adults all loved these figures at one point in their life, and so making a movie where they all team up to protect us actually sounds like a lot of fun. The movie has a lot of likable characters and has a lot of heart, so you can believe me when I say that this is a very good film. But I also felt like this kind of story has been done many times before and that I could predict how this movie was going to play out. I saw "Wreck-It Ralph" a few weeks ago and it was one of the most original animated movies I have seen in several years, and that is what made it a terrific film. This story is a lot of fun, but I just wish that they had tried harder to make it more original for the adults. But I must also remember that this is a children's movie, and the children are going to have a lot of fun here. This is pretty much an animated version of "The Avengers" since both films involve heroes all teaming up to save the world. I really enjoyed this movie and I had a really fun time, and despite my small problem with the story, this is still a good movie that people of all ages will enjoy and have a fun time. Expand
  25. Rem
    Jun 1, 2014
    Without a doubt this movie tries to be more than what it is. Dreamworks hit a new low with this film, and it shows in their completely annoying and idiotic character Jack Frost. Also while I understand that this is a children's movies, some of the dialogue is incredibly cringeworthy and the jokes come up empty. The animations are decent, but the idea of listening to Chris Pine's effort inWithout a doubt this movie tries to be more than what it is. Dreamworks hit a new low with this film, and it shows in their completely annoying and idiotic character Jack Frost. Also while I understand that this is a children's movies, some of the dialogue is incredibly cringeworthy and the jokes come up empty. The animations are decent, but the idea of listening to Chris Pine's effort in trying to portray a clueless teen boy, it's just not worth it. Expand
  26. Nov 29, 2012
    While unlikely to win any awards its a good kids movie with a good message. The voice acting was actually pretty well done especially by Chris Pine and Jude Law. If your looking to take your kids to the movies you could do a lot worse.
  27. Jul 7, 2013
    imagine the avengers who meeting the child's world and it gives "rise of the guardians"
    all the characters is here the santa claus the Tooth Fairy easter bunny, sandman.
    I confess I did not know who was jack frost
  28. Mar 26, 2013
    First off, I love animated films. I thought this movie was really good as it gave us an insight how the Guardians work, even if it was a bit cheesy at times! And I'm fourteen and I loved this film so that just goes to show it doesn't matter what age you are, animation is always good!
  29. Nov 21, 2012
    A reasonably fun holiday flick that feels at times a bit disjointed and a bit lacking in depth. Certainly we can connect with the themes, but the movie fails to draw us into the "magic".

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 26, 2012
    It's gorgeously designed, deftly written and frequently laugh-out-loud funny. For child or adult, this is a fantasy to get lost in.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Nov 25, 2012
    More "oooh… aaah" than "ho-ho-ho", ROTG is so full of yuletide razzmatazz that only true Scrooges will have trouble stomaching it. If only Santa's workshop had given the script more of a tinker...
  3. Reviewed by: Jody Mitori
    Nov 23, 2012
    The Guardians make a winning team that is a prime candidate for a sequel, just like "The Avengers."