Paramount Pictures | Release Date: November 21, 2012
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 260 Ratings
Watch Now
joe_the_humanNov 26, 2012
This movie was beautiful to look at. The characters were striking and vibrant in appearance. The writing was never very clever or insightful though. I think I would have loved this movie if I was under the age of 10, but their was veryThis movie was beautiful to look at. The characters were striking and vibrant in appearance. The writing was never very clever or insightful though. I think I would have loved this movie if I was under the age of 10, but their was very little that would entertain adults as well as children. Overall it wasn't unpleasant, but I wouldn't really recommend seeing it to anyone either. Expand
Big_MooseDec 2, 2012
It's certainly no "How To Train Your Dragon" but it's undoubtedly one of DreamWorks strongest animated films. With fun characters, a reasonably good plot and some great visuals that make perfect use of 3D. It's definitely worth checking out.
bigtechDec 2, 2012
Was having trouble caring at first, but I guess I was drawn in by the visuals which were stunning. By the end I was completely engaged with the story as well.
JayunaDec 5, 2012
I went into this movie thinking it would be okay and came out loving it. While premise may seem silly, worked surprisingly well and you fall in love with all the characters. Jack Frost especially, who you realize it a much more complexI went into this movie thinking it would be okay and came out loving it. While premise may seem silly, worked surprisingly well and you fall in love with all the characters. Jack Frost especially, who you realize it a much more complex character than he appears to be. Movie also shows itself to be more than just fun when at a few moments it becomes rather dark, which in a kids movie was great to see as an adult watching. Overall, a very very enjoyable animated film which is original, gorgeously animated, and definitely pulls you in. Highly recommended! Expand
Rox22Apr 24, 2013
A decent holiday movie. Interesting and unique story and view on classic characters. Just a shame the story felt a little too underwhelming. Animation is superb, voice acting great. Chris Pine is perhaps a bit too average sounding for theA decent holiday movie. Interesting and unique story and view on classic characters. Just a shame the story felt a little too underwhelming. Animation is superb, voice acting great. Chris Pine is perhaps a bit too average sounding for the role. I never in a million years would have spotted Alec Baldwin, he is funny and more or less steals the show as far as the voice talent is concerned. Pitch Black is an interesting take on the boogyman character, but also a bit too non-threatening. Comes accross a more like a creepy accountant than a main villain.

Overall:
A nice fun film form the holidays that had me smiling most of the way through. It could have been better, but for what it is, it is great!
shirshasgDec 25, 2012
Rise of the Guardians has a lovely concept about these imaginary childhood legends. It tells a fascinating new mythology about them. It sets out to be highly imaginative and thoroughly heartfelt. With these people making this film, there isRise of the Guardians has a lovely concept about these imaginary childhood legends. It tells a fascinating new mythology about them. It sets out to be highly imaginative and thoroughly heartfelt. With these people making this film, there is no surprise that they succeeded to execute those ambitions. Though, the storytelling is a bit messy with endless action set pieces. Despite of those flaws, it's still whimsically magical and heartwarming.

The story centers a childhood guardian, Jack Frost. Among the guardians, he's the least known and believed by the children. It's pretty interesting since most of us only know very little about him, we intend to intrigue about his story. When it goes to the famous legends, it gets bigger and quicker with plenty of humor. The film is also an action movie. The action scenes are amazingly done and eye candy, but they somehow get excessive causing a bit mess to the storyline. It's charming when they go to their relationship with the children, and it's appealing when it explores to their worlds.

The characters are wonderful enough. The voice performances are great. Chris Pine's performance is charming enough to keep Jack Frost pretty endearing. Alec Baldwin brings plenty of joy to his character. Hugh Jackman uses his Australian accent to the Easter Bunny which really fits to the character. The rest are unexpectedly delightful.

The visuals are undeniably astonishing. Every scene of the film is spectacular and beautiful to look at, making the experience very magical. The 3D enhances the experience more or less. The character designs are inspired. I bet many would love the Sandman's that looks so lovable. And the music score adds sweetness to the sequences.

Rise of the Guardians is a little bit disappointing but also a bit satisfying. It has the heart in a right amount but only the half of the film. The rest is all action and having fun, but it's not a bad thing. They just could have moderated the craziness and get a bit of focus to the storyline. The film is still worth watching. It can be a classic if it has a better storytelling but if you don't care then that won't be a problem. Overall, it's filled with excitement and beautiful animation. Rise of the Guardians can be considered one of the great films of the year.
BreakingBradJan 24, 2013
Rise of the Guardians is a fun and exciting animated movie that both kids and adults will love, but it also feels like it has a story that has been done many times before. We all believed in these holiday figures when we were kids, I lovedRise of the Guardians is a fun and exciting animated movie that both kids and adults will love, but it also feels like it has a story that has been done many times before. We all believed in these holiday figures when we were kids, I loved thinking about Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny coming into my home and leaving me presents and eggs, and that is part of the charm of this movie. The writers know that kids and adults all loved these figures at one point in their life, and so making a movie where they all team up to protect us actually sounds like a lot of fun. The movie has a lot of likable characters and has a lot of heart, so you can believe me when I say that this is a very good film. But I also felt like this kind of story has been done many times before and that I could predict how this movie was going to play out. I saw "Wreck-It Ralph" a few weeks ago and it was one of the most original animated movies I have seen in several years, and that is what made it a terrific film. This story is a lot of fun, but I just wish that they had tried harder to make it more original for the adults. But I must also remember that this is a children's movie, and the children are going to have a lot of fun here. This is pretty much an animated version of "The Avengers" since both films involve heroes all teaming up to save the world. I really enjoyed this movie and I had a really fun time, and despite my small problem with the story, this is still a good movie that people of all ages will enjoy and have a fun time. Expand
DeniedaviFeb 2, 2013
The animation in this film was spectacular. However, the plot was quite boring for me, and was extremely cliched. The same general plot has been used many times in the past, and it wasn't like this movie executed it any better. The pacing hadThe animation in this film was spectacular. However, the plot was quite boring for me, and was extremely cliched. The same general plot has been used many times in the past, and it wasn't like this movie executed it any better. The pacing had many problems, and the villain wasn't all that intimidating. This movie would get a 7/10 from me, simply because of its awesome animation. Expand
RobyLula555Mar 14, 2013
It wars really fun to watch and this is the holiday movies that children need. I really like this animated movie. It was visually great and if you have time to watch it, then watch it.
blondie_mcgeeMar 19, 2013
Pitch Black is a complex character and at some parts you almost feel

Would definitely recommend.
SnuggelsblueApr 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing film I really enjoyed watching it. It's great how it brings well known and love characters to life and creates the feeling that they all know each other. A good all round fun family film. I could watch it over and over again. This film also gives a very good visual idea of the characters and the places they come from. This movie also encourage team work and belief in yourself. I would give it a 30000/100 Expand
RemJun 1, 2014
Without a doubt this movie tries to be more than what it is. Dreamworks hit a new low with this film, and it shows in their completely annoying and idiotic character Jack Frost. Also while I understand that this is a children's movies, someWithout a doubt this movie tries to be more than what it is. Dreamworks hit a new low with this film, and it shows in their completely annoying and idiotic character Jack Frost. Also while I understand that this is a children's movies, some of the dialogue is incredibly cringeworthy and the jokes come up empty. The animations are decent, but the idea of listening to Chris Pine's effort in trying to portray a clueless teen boy, it's just not worth it. Expand
killian13Jul 7, 2013
imagine the avengers who meeting the child's world and it gives "rise of the guardians"
all the characters is here the santa claus the Tooth Fairy easter bunny, sandman.
I confess I did not know who was jack frost
jeff_reviewsJul 4, 2013
"Rise of the Guardians" may have some issues with pacing, but it's a visual wonder, and will delight a child's eye. The art displayed in the film is beautiful, and you sometimes cannot help to feel magical with your favorite childhood heroes"Rise of the Guardians" may have some issues with pacing, but it's a visual wonder, and will delight a child's eye. The art displayed in the film is beautiful, and you sometimes cannot help to feel magical with your favorite childhood heroes on the big screen once again. Expand
FranzHcriticJul 23, 2014
My brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interestingMy brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interesting plot. The pacing for me is for me just like the voice of HAL from '2001' is monotone. Plus, the action is completely unnecessary in an animated fantasy about something that adheres to young children, for the most part. A lot of things could have been taken out and a lot of things added that could make this movie more entertaining and thoughtful. Expand
calmb4thestormJan 23, 2014
I was born in the early 90's so I got to grow up seeing a lot of those old claymation films about Santa Claus, Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny etc.. so this was really cool for me to be able to relive my childhood in a way that's new andI was born in the early 90's so I got to grow up seeing a lot of those old claymation films about Santa Claus, Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny etc.. so this was really cool for me to be able to relive my childhood in a way that's new and actually interesting for someone my age. The character designs are great, personalities are fun, and animation is gorgeous. Another thing I love is the deeply meaningful story underlying the protagonist in a way that is fitting for young children, but only truly comprehensible and appreciated by the more mature audience, keeping teenagers and adults entertained along with the children. Expand
marcmyworksJan 13, 2014
A fun and exciting kids flick with a lot of heart and soul. The only thing that surprised me was the portrayal of children as quite flippant in their belief system.
PacifistcriticJan 25, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So far this movie has many things I liked, I liked the animation and the idea of Holiday icons being transformed into protectors of children. But I know several people, including my English teacher finds that idea absurd, but... I didn't think it was absurd at all. The characters were pretty much people I could sympathize with in real life. They all have strengths and flaws that make them believable, including North(Santa Claus) who puts kids on 'Nice' and 'Naughty' lists(tattoos) and Pitch(the Boogeyman who always felt alone). I also admire that rival- brotherly relationship with Jack and Bunnymund, they were funny and likable wherever they went, the part where Bunny gets furious at Jack was also pretty sad, it shows that their relationship was not perfect. I also liked how Tooth Fairy(the only female Guardian) wasn't treated as just a love-interest or a refrigerator victim(Sandman instead) throughout the movie, she can be aggressive if anyone messes with her friends and family. The fatherly/or grandfatherly bond between Jack and North was also pretty loving, since Jack hasn't lived with his family for many years, North also guides Jack to find his "center" in which it makes him a Guardian. The relationship I loved the most was between Jamie Bennett(Jack's first believer) and Jack Frost, they were both like real siblings ever since Jack followed him around ever since that sleigh ride. Jack Frost was my favorite out of all the characters since he may be a trickster, but is a kind, heroic person, especially to children.

Positives:Beautiful animation, wonderful music, battle sequences, playful humor, excellent voice-acting, interesting storylines, and characters

Negatives:Not many females, 300 years is too long, why can't anyone rescue Jack from drowning?, what type of English did people use during Jack's time when he was human?
GobbledygoockJan 25, 2014
This movie has a great feel to it. The voicing is incredible and brings the whole film to life. The visual effects are out of this world, everything down to the lighting, the colour and detail is out of this world. I have never seen anThis movie has a great feel to it. The voicing is incredible and brings the whole film to life. The visual effects are out of this world, everything down to the lighting, the colour and detail is out of this world. I have never seen an animation as beautiful and awe-inspiring as this.
I most of all love the new take on the characters. The Russian Santa clause (known as North in the film) is so different and I love that. The fact that Tooth has little helpers is much more realistic than the conventional concept of the tooth fairy doing it all on her own. I especially love the fun and loving take on Jack Frost, depicting him as a youthful, fun character who loves having a bit of a good around with the children rather than an evil, middle-aged villain. My favourite character has to be the Easter bunny. The Australian accent, the Aussie idioms thrown in by Hugh just make the dialogue that much better, and what a great idea to have boomerangs as weapons! Even pitch black is a pretty awesome character (despite being the ultimate villain, the boogeyman). Jude law is the perfect voice for this character, his velvet voice is absolutely incredible and completes this character as well as the whole movie. I love that the characters are all depicted as superheroes in the fight scenes, all with their own quirky powers. Of course, some people who lack imagination and wonder may find this film boring, repetitive or just stupid. But if you look at and appreciate the finer parts of this movie, some of which I have listed above (voicing, visual effects, originality of the characters etc, then I think you will find this film extremely enjoyable and very fun. Over all, this movie (in my opinion) is breathtaking, fun, excitable and extremely beautiful, but obviously it won't be some peoples cup of tea.
Delaforce828Oct 14, 2014
With the art style of William Joyce, DreamWorks Animation, it reminds me of Disney's Meet the Robinsons, and Blue Sky's Robots for its unique designs. The story is okay not great, but it works I guess.
kyle20ellisJan 7, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rise of the Guardians is an animated film of 2012 directed by Peter Ramsey.
When Pitch, the black man, threatens to destroy the imagination of children, guardians, Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Sandman come together to defeat him. The man in the moon, however, reveals that they will join a new guardian and that is Jack Frost, the spirit of the snow that as opposed to other guardians can not be seen by people.
The film has a simple plot but full of found really original, dramatic moments, fun and exciting. The thing that you notice about this movie is, above all, the characterization of the characters. No one is left in the background and you end up adoring all. Pitch is very well characterized and is a great evil, intelligent and duplicitous. The technical department is done really well and also the music.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 21, 2016
Rise of the Guardians is holiday treatment. If I want to watch this again for the holidays, I would want to any moment from now so I can feel good for watching such a movie.
DavidTejadaNov 5, 2016
A movie that requires attention and logic. Dreamworks, trying to make a creativity animated movie, finishes with a confusing signification of Christmas-heroes. It's confusing and with no direction. At least the good news are the actionA movie that requires attention and logic. Dreamworks, trying to make a creativity animated movie, finishes with a confusing signification of Christmas-heroes. It's confusing and with no direction. At least the good news are the action moments. The animation is not a highlight (exception of Sandmand) and it leaves in conclusion such as so so movie .-. Expand
TiberCromwell50Nov 23, 2016
blondie_mcgeeMar 19, 2013
i love love love this film. The characters,the story line, everything. Definitely a top film. Although it is aimed at children, this is totally a full age friendly film. Pitch Black is a complex character and at some parts you almost feel sorry for him... until he is a complete dooshbag yet again. Would definitely recommend.
VirgonoShakaJun 19, 2017
The first thing about Rise of the Guardians is the concept that I have to admit, while a little too used with the superhero style and action, was kind of novel, the idea of using popular myth characters like that was interesting andThe first thing about Rise of the Guardians is the concept that I have to admit, while a little too used with the superhero style and action, was kind of novel, the idea of using popular myth characters like that was interesting and surprisingly fresh. Other good points I can add, a very well put together animation, style, voice acting, and even funny and some memorable lines, and while a very cliched and obvious story, I can definitely say that it is well presented and entertaining. On the other hand, not everybody will like the obvious plot or very tired concepts of "you have to believe it" and stuff, the action can be a bit too on the nose, and the pacing is very brisked in some parts. Nevertheless, I think this movie accomplishes its goal, which is to present a fresh take on some characters, and provide a fun action-adventure story, and on a personal level, it more than did that, and after all, that was the center, right. All in all, I can't give it a recommendation for every public because there are going to be both kids and adults that will find it repetitive or tired, but if you like superhero style shows, cartoons or movies, and like a well-crafted animation, give it a watch, it may surprise you, like it did me. Final Verdict: 7.5 Expand