7.8

1. Aug 6, 2011
    One of the best movies you'll see this year that isn't about comics!!! 10/10
    the movie is nice, it has some emotional parts, some funny parts, not boring at all, the action at the end is spot on. The movie is really great, the dialogue was nice, the characters were likeable except Draco Maulfoy. GO SEE IT NOW!
  2. Aug 5, 2011
    Even if you're not an "Apes" fan, moviegoers will appreciate the heart, intellect, and sheer excitement loaded into this blockbuster. Its a welcome surprise, and sure to be one of the most thrilling (and dare I say moving) pictures of the year.
  3. Aug 7, 2011
    An excellent movie that entertains throughout and maintains a decent respect for the audience's mental capabilities. Especially impressive is the character development for the ape characters given their lack of spoken dialogue. Well worth the watch!
  4. Aug 10, 2011
    Fantastic movie which has very good emotional scenes and some other well filmed action scenes. All the plot is detailed and concise (eg his father's "problem" or his relationship with "her") when it needs to be. It will thrill you, but it isn't as shocking as the 1968 film, probably because you know the ending if you have seen the aforementioned film.
  5. Aug 12, 2011
    Honestly, no need for a real review, just go see it. This is one of this summers best films that needed no hype, no heavy marketing, just a great story, with great acting and amazing special effects. One for fans and newcomers alike. Don't miss this flick!
  6. Sep 5, 2011
    After seeing the conclusion to the Harry Potter series, there was another franchise I had to follow: The Planet of The Apes series. Before I begin reviewing this one, I have a confession to make: I never saw any of the planet of the apes films (like I said in my review of the remake). Yeah, shocking wasn't it? But I did heard that they were very creative films. So, after seeing Tim Burton's disappointing remake, I saw the trailer for this movie when I saw Captain America: The First Avenger and I was so amazed I wanted to see it so badly. A few days later, I've succeeded in seeing it and boy was I impressed at how good it was. I'm not gonna write the plot because it's unnecessary, so I'm just gonna go with my opinion.

Visual/Setting: The story revolves around San Francisco which is a very nice place to film this movie and was very creative.

Plot/Premise: The plot was perfectly well-paced. The premise about the intelligent animals taking over the world was a very smart idea ever to put on film.

Acting/Characters: Every actor you see has great talent. James Franco did an amazing as the main character even he and his love interest played by Freida Pinto were enjoyable. Andy Serkis gave out his excellent performance as Caesar, the intelligent ape and the leader of the clan. The rest of the actors, including Tom Felton from Harry Potter, were very entertaining.

Action/CGI: This movie is packed with incredible action scenes with the apes that were very important to the story and the CGI effects along with motion capture were very solid.

Problem: The ending was completely weak and gave me a WTF moment.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is not only an excellent reboot of a soon-will-become franchise, but one of the greatest movies of the year next to some of my favorites.

90/100 A-
  7. Aug 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never seen the original movie, but that doesn't mean i can't say that it was awsome! The growth of Caesar and the revealing of the power of the "Cure" kept you from getting the re-fills. There were a lot of scenes that amazed you, such as Caesar talking and when he did new things due to the "Cure". Although it wasn't the first ever of the movie, i still have to give props to the writters. No movie is perfect, but for a movie in it's catagory, it comes pretty close. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2011
    1st Point : This is a science fiction movie. 2nd If you are going to the movie theater expecting that you'll watch a movie based on "Reality" please don't go.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is Absolutely one of the best movies of the years and the best of "Planet of Apes"
  9. Aug 7, 2011
    A great reboot of a very long running franchise. It gives you exactly what you expect when you buy a ticket, and even a little bit more. The apes are incredibly life-like and real, and Andy Serkis gives the performance of a lifetime as Caesar. In reality James Franco isn't the protagonist, Serkis is. Franco is more there to allow Caesar to be able to become the protagonist. But, that aside, a great movie all in all. There are tons of great references to the original movie, some being a bit cheesier then others. It is not as good as the original, it is far better then the 2001 remake, and is better then Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, it's equivalent film. Serkis, along with Alan Rickman for Harry Potter will be the two biggest snubs at this years Oscar's, when they should win. 9/10. Expand
  10. Aug 11, 2011
    I liked the movie very much.I can say that it is one of the best movies of 2011.It is well acted and also contains some amazing fight scenes.i can honestly say that it would be a blockbuster.
  11. Aug 11, 2011
    I was proven VERY wrong about this film. I thought it was gonna suck, but I ended up REALLY liking it. Andy Serkis' performance is definitely worthy of a nomination for Best Supporting Actor, James Franco did a very good job as well, and the story was captivating and awesome. I have to say this is my second favorite movie of the year, right behind Fast 5. I cant wait for the sequel!!!
  12. Sep 7, 2011
    I really enjoyed the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The Graphics were excellent and the acting great. I didn't think I would enjoy it much after seeing all the others.
  13. Feb 16, 2012
    I don't care if this film is somewhat simple and linear plotwise. I don't care that I guessed everything that happened. This film really captured my imagination, I think this has something to do with how relevant the film is. I could even suggest the film is believable, maybe just! It really captured the emotion in certain moments and communicated that to the viewer, often without any speech of any kind. It follows the theme of most films of this kind in the messages it communicates and definetly served as a reminder to me. I'd go as far as to suggest the Apes and Humans are actually two sides of the same coin, I don't really want to say anything else. Might go revisit the old Plant of the Apes movies soon. Brilliant, enjoyable, emotional, captivating. Expand
  14. Aug 23, 2011
    A very entertaining and thrilling film. I had no idea what to expect since I didn't watch any trailers or anything. This film blew me away, the CG was amazing. James Franco did a great job and so did everyone else.
  15. Sep 16, 2011
    Great movie. I appreciated the tips of the hat to the original movies. I was prepared to be offended by the animal rights agenda and while it does try to present some moral equivalency between animals and humans it isn't preachy about it. I was impressed that visually the cg was believable enough so as to not be distracting.
  16. Aug 29, 2012
    I loved every minute of this film and I really hope any sequels that are made keep to the same standard. If I have one criticism, it
  17. Aug 15, 2011
    This movie is amazing, keeps you entertained and glued to the screen, has no dull moment, the performances in general a bit loose, but no matter, the movie itself is very well build, after seeing this I want to be a damn monkey , good special effects, good sound, good photography, this film is so **** amazing..!! and now I can understand the other movies, great prequel.
  18. Feb 3, 2012
    Negative reviews for this movie!?? What the funk? Do you just hate monkeys? Forget the amazing computer-generated apes, this is a great story. Best Planet of the Apes movie ever. I've seen 'em all. Believe me- this one is at the top of a full barrel. If you don't like this movie, you're an anti-simianite! A raging anti-simianite.
  19. Aug 9, 2011
    In a summer packed with comic adaptations (X-Men, Thor, Green Lantern, The First Avenger), franchise finales (Harry Potter, Transformers) and the odd box office surprise (Bridesmaids, The Smurfs)... Rise manages to stand apart from the pack.

Rise features the best special effects of summer 2011, an engaging story and well-paced action sequences. To say that the movie is unrealistic and
    'nonsense', as one user puts it, is to completely miss the point. Summer blockbusters have seldom been accused of being thought-provoking exercises. Jaws, a film widely viewed as the progenitor of the modern summer flick, was a movie about a giant shark which actually flops onto the deck of a boat in its attempt to eat the humans. 'Nuff said.

At its core, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is an environmentally conscious flick in the guise of a loud and stupid action sci-fi. Do not let appearances deceive you... or you might end up missing the best that summer 2011 has to offer.
  20. Aug 9, 2011
    Great movie ,it has a good storyline and also has some good emotionals parts u really must see it.In my opinion is the second best movie of the year before ON STRANGER TIDES
  21. Aug 8, 2011
    When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I thought it was going to be great. After seeing the film today, it turned nout to be just that. The human characters, though only a few, are pretty deep and have a reason for being in the story. The use of CGI on the apes was picture perfect with Andy Serkis again giving a top notch performance. It does move in predictable ways but still take spride in the progression of the story. Which in some cases may feel like a lull and keeps the film from being perfect. But it's better to see these than breeze over them and suck life from the story. So to see the progression from baby chimp to revolution leader is amazing. Expand
  22. Aug 16, 2011
    Really enjoyed this. Surprise film of the year for me. The cinema was packed and at times the whole audience gasped, haven't seen that in a long time. The special effects are stunning but the story has real heart and I dare you not to be rooting for the most badass monkeys ever! Lots of nods to the original. Its not just the action but I loved the way its almost a comment on society. The caged underclass has outgrown its enslavement and how the authorities can't control a Rise (wont use the word riot!). Is it wrong to want better and free world for your people? A must see in the cinema. Expand
  23. Feb 10, 2012
    I really liked this movie. It is one of the best prequel movies I think I've ever seen. It is a wonderful blend of action, drama, and intrigue. The characters are spot on, perfectly casted. And not just the live action ones. The CG main character is really who sells the show. This genius chimp's character development is what drives the movie forward. The human-animal relations in the movie, and especially the animal-animal relations are some of the best non-verbal writing I have yet seen. The main character says exactly three words in the entire movie, and yet he is so much better then characters in other movies who won't stop talking. I also really liked how the plot was set up. It is a journey from the jungle, to the labs, to the suburbs, to a torturous shelter, then to freedom, and finally to the seeds of humanity's fall. This is a great watch, and I recommend it to anyone who has not already seen it. Expand
  24. Aug 12, 2011
    The original apes series in the 60's and 70's are one of my guilty pleasures. We learned in the very first Charleton Heston version that this was the future of Earth, but we never learned why. The remake in the early part of the decade with Mark Wahlberg was technically competent in terms of the effects and production values, but it was wooden and lifeless. I didn't have high hopes for this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. It had solid action, emotion, you actually cared about Caesar, The computer generated special effects were good, but there is something a little off which can be disconcerting, But the story actually comes up with a believable premise of how earth came to be taken over by apes. And there were no comic book heroes like every other movie this summer. I was very impressed. Expand
  25. Aug 19, 2014
    The apes are by far the best animated character in the history of cinema. Not only is the C.G.I. good, but the character is written very well in general. You will go through all of those emotions yourself as you witness the movie's journey that it takes you on. Through the film, you will understand what Cesar is feeling and why. The invisible character of the film is humanity itself, it's looking at a dark mirror Expand
  26. Sep 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prequel or reboot? Whatever the case, Rise Of The Planet of The Apes is a movie you cannot ignore. If you ever saw the original, you may have scratched your head and wondered: How am I supposed to believe that a world where talking apes who have overthrown humanity as the dominant species is possible? The riddle of the talking ape is finally solved: Man's experimentation on living chimpanzees created a Pandora's box which heralded the end! What I liked about this movie was its slow, logical pace, building to the eventual conclusion. Instead of being thrust into a world we question, we witness scientific "progress" - not uncommon in this day and age - which creates the dramatic tension and deus ex machina necessary for apes to overthrow us. James Franco and John Lithgow skillfully play great characters, but both actors take a back-seat to the work of Andy Serkis, who provides us with a living, breathing, emoting, CGI-bred Caesar. I always wondered exactly how Caesar learned to talk and to be the first ape to utter the word "No" - this movie gives us a compelling rationale behind the Planet of the Apes folklore. I look forward to more movies in this franchise - if they are anything like this one, they will be fantastic.

- Chipper F. Xavier, Esq.
  27. Aug 23, 2011
    I went in not expecting much, but came away with more than I had hoped. It is a great movie on so many levels. well acted, emotionally engaging and an ethical tale as well. In the end my favorite theme told- testing on animals brings nothing good, in fact animal testing is our own downfall. So prolific.
  28. Aug 5, 2011
    Definitely worth a trip to the movie theater if you have enjoyed Planet of the Apes. If you have never seen Planet of the Apes I would suggest watching it first before going.
  29. Aug 20, 2011
    What ever you do dont listen to CYRANUS review. My god he either didnt watch the movie or needs a dose of the same intelligence serum as the apes. Scene 1 was a baby therefore took more time to mature like all living beings. Scene 2 the apes that took that serum were already adults which is why the serum worked quicker. Scene 1 apes escape (more than 20) Scene 2 apes on the hill (not 200, about the same number of apes.) Didnt pay attention to the whole cage being seen from the playroom or not, but even if he is right, thats a VERY small plothole. Police and humans were not stupid they underestimated the apes, because they were not aware of how smart they were. As far as the speaking ape, if you watched the planet of the apes show you know that had to be thrown in there gradually, it's a fantasy movie not real life idiot. Didnt even understand what you meant about the "Scene 1: Tormented scientific resign and claims for the end of ALZ113 development. Scene 2: Same scientific has the lethal formula on his fridge" crap. You really need to watch it again and not try to seem like a smart critic, because your points had more plotholes than the movie did. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2011
    Wow, this movie was damn good. James Franco was brilliant and so was the rest of the supporting cast and Rupert Wyatt did an amazing job directing this film. Rise of the Planet of the Apes is a brilliant summer blockbuster with loads of action in its final 25 min of its reasonably lengthed hour and 55 minutes. The only reason I gave it a 9 and not a 10 is because i thought it got a little boring and slow in the beginning, but just a little, otherwise this movie enthralled me from the start. This movie was a great way to end off the summer of blockbusters. Even if your not an apes fan go see this movie because anybody can enjoy a great film. 9.5/10 Expand
  31. Aug 7, 2011
    I was excited about seeing this movie and I really wanted to like it. When the main character is a computer generated monkey, it's hard to get emotionally wrapped up in a move. James Franco and John Lithgow were stand outs but the premise took a long time to develop and the action came very late in the movie. Overall, it was decent. Not great.
  32. Jan 15, 2012
    This movie is fantastic and perfect , but it is one of the shortest movie._____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Expand
  33. Sep 5, 2011
    This film is the most surprising I have seen in a long time. When I saw the trailer, I was very put off by another planet of the apes movie, and the thought that a couple apes could take over our planet seemed just hyper-ridiculous. Anyway, after hearing unanimous positive reviews from my fiends, I went, and it blew me away. I'm not kidding, the plot is extraordinary, the development of the main chimp, Caesar, is one of the best I have seen, the take over is well played out and plausible, I'm serious. This film deserves it's reputation. THIS LAST PART IS A BIT OF A SPOILER - It is only logical that a drug that enhances the brain's function and reparation would eventually lead the chimps to speak, and although that concept could seem cliche, cheesy, or has the ability to come off as ridiculous, they pulled it off unbelievably well. Once again, this film is an excellent result of good a good writers, directors, and film-making. Expand
  34. Aug 7, 2011
    I thought this movie was great. It got you to care about Caesar and almost root for the apes after how they were treated. I thought Serkis was a genius in his role as the lead ape. It really got you thinking about its likelihood to happen (which is pretty high based on what apes can do these days). I definitely recommend this movie and might say it is in my top 5 for the year so far.
  35. Aug 27, 2011
    You will never know how fast you will eat your popcorn while you were watching Rise of the Planet of The Apes. I didn't watched previous movies but will watch them too after i see this one.
  36. Aug 8, 2011
    A truly spectacular film that has everything a summer blockbuster should have. An incredibly emotional film, I would say that this film surpasses the original in just about every way. Watch it and you'll see why this deserves to be the movie of the year, without a doubt. In short, this movie is nothing short of phenomenal. You owe it to yourself to watch this masterpiece of a film.
  37. Aug 11, 2011
    The movie is very emotional, especially if you're an animal lover! It is continuously gripping throughout and is one of the best films I have ever seen. It is amazing and I fully recommend it to everyone!
  38. Aug 13, 2011
    Very good movie with a lot of variety and it is overall a very enjoyable experience that will please most people. I came into this movie not expecting anything other than mindless action scenes full of super smart apes that want to do nothing but kill humans. What it really is though is a very interesting story which focuses on the cruelty of animal testing. I has a very nice action scene at the very end which ties the whole movie together as a great package. Expand
  39. Aug 14, 2011
    Great film...it the first film that I can remember which received a round of applause at the final credits in the cinema and it certainly deserved it !!
  40. Aug 18, 2011
    This is one of the best movies i have ever seen.......The special effects are fantastic.....This movie is for all ages....You will not regret paying to see this great movie....
  41. Aug 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Nonsense. Just that simple. Scene 1: Cesar, a new born chimpanzee needs 8 YEARS to become fully intelligent. Scene 2: The rest of the other apes takes 4 HOURS to become as smart. Scene 1: In the ape`s shelter the cages are hidden and the playground looks innocent and nice. Scene 2: The cages now surrounds the playground so Cesar can be encouraged by his similars. Scene 1:About 20 apes escapes from the shelter. Scene 2: More than 200 apes appears in the hill only few hour latter. (Ã Expand
  42. Aug 23, 2011
    Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes has it's flaws, but it's great story, exhilarating action, plus a spellbinding performance from Andy Serkis, make up for everything. An absolute blast at the movies and I look forward to the next film in this so far exciting new franchise. Rupert Wyatt's "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes" gets a thumbs up from me.
  43. Aug 21, 2011
    Surprisingly good! The "cure" angle makes it relevant to the times. The apes are emotionally captivating to the point that you end up rooting for them. Not to mention CG was well done. A must see amidst the comic book revivals!
  44. Aug 23, 2011
    Un projet plutôt casse-gueule sur le coup (le sujet a été traité depuis des décennies et la mode des suites et préquelles n'est pas au beaufixe ces derniers temps). Et pourtant, cette préquelle de La Planète des Singes se montre tout simplement sublime! En mettant de côté le travail des effets numériques (incroyables, soit dis en passant), le film propose un autre atout très rare chez les blockbusters : le scénario. Travaillé à la perfection, surtout autour de César (le singe principal), le rendant plus humain que nous-même (belle performance d'Andy Serkis)en insistant bien sur quelques détails (laisse, émotions humaines...). Un excellent film, qui, je l'espère, donnera naissance à une nouvelle saga (comme le disent les rumeurs) qui sera à la hauteur de ce seul film! Expand
  45. Aug 24, 2011
    It has been a while since I have been cared about a character but I cared about ceaser and wanted to see his story thanks to fine direction and Andy Serkis oscar worthy performance makes this one of the best movies of the year 10 out of 10
  46. Sep 2, 2011
    This is a great move. I was actually skeptical about the movie, because of my previous experience with Tim Burton's ridiculous Planet of the Apes. But this one is far more mature, fast and smart. The major credit going to Weta for the amazing visual effects in creating the apes. They look absolutely realistic and are a treat to watch, especially during the final 20 minutes. The movie does feel slow at times, but picks up pace quick. James Franco still seems to be in the same mode as he was while hosting the oscars(which was absolutely disastrous). Freida Pinto is OK. And John Lithgow adds a great emotional touch. But the actual hero of the movie has to be Andy Serkis. Watch the movie for him. You won't regret it. Expand
  47. Sep 5, 2011
    This movie is not only an excellent movie which I recommend with a full price ticket of which I paid of $13.50 to see this particular movie and I have to say it was worth every penny. Not only is James Franco a superb actor which has been in so many awesome movies since spiderman came out and the CGI here has to be the best I've seen, andy serkis' motion capture is insane, these apes look as real as they can be, the facial expressions, movements, everything is top NOTCH! I give this movie a TEN because there's so much crap coming from Hollywood nowadays and it's always great to see a movie like this come along. I'm also going to buy it when it comes out. Expand
  48. Sep 5, 2011
    i'll keep it simple and fast for you all so here we go.

i'm a fan of all the originals and the tv show, some were great and others were not. the crappy burton one was kinda WTF, but this one is the best of all those made modern. this film really doesn't need any explanations or setups cuz from the title and the trailer you know what's up. what i will say is that the cgi is great, the
    story is pretty solid and it's sets up the the "rise" of the apes and the "fall" of the man nicely. that being said you will most likely enjoy this. Expand
  49. Sep 21, 2011
    One word. Fantasticamazingingeniousexceptional. just frickan awesome. I definitely recommend everyone to see this prequel to the mark wahlberg blockbuster.
  50. Sep 28, 2011
    This movie was pretty awesome. There was rarely a dull moment and it had hints through out the movie leading to the planet of the apes. Some parts were predictable, but still entertaining. One person mentioned that this movie is nonsense. Let's remember this is a movie, not real life thus it is not perfect. A dream is not perfect, but it you can still have an awesome dream with some inconsistency. For any kind of a science fiction fan this is a must see movie. Expand
  51. Oct 10, 2011
    Didn't excpect it to be this good. Nice that Caesar was a tip of the hat to Roddy McDowell, more so than Charlton Heston, he's Mr. Planet Of The Apes and this was a worthy edition to the original legacy.

The apes saga is very clever as it's given itself a free pass for sequels and prequels - The original planet of the apes is sequeled by 'return' which although a bit hammy (bar the cool
    abrupt end) gives us the setup for the absolutely superb 'escape from the planet of the apes' IMO actually the strongest, most brutal and striking of the original films. Seeing Cornelius and Zera change from celebrities into feared and persecuted risks to humanity was brilliant.
    Conquest could have been alot better but the ideas are definitely there - battle is very hammy but takes it to it's logical conclusion at the slightly averted timeline so we shouldn't get the events of 'planet of the apes' - it could have been alot better but was done on such a small budget that the 'epic' battles look pathetic. What was sad was the decreasing budget as the series went on - certainly 'conquest ' and 'battle' had poorer makeup than even the original- to be fair I thought the lead apes makeup was very good - it's only in the crowd ape scenes you see they skimped on everyone else- Zera and Cornelius conveyed an awful lot of emotion even through the latex. I guess the new one could be seen as a 'true' prequel to 'planet' as it shows us how we got to the events without a paradox.
  52. Nov 10, 2011
    I went in expecting just good popcorn fare but I actually thought it was a genuinely good movie about humanity's hubris. Andy Serkis does a phenomenal job as Caesar, the lead chimp. Well worth watching.
  53. Mar 12, 2012
    This is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen. Combined with the realistic idea of science (and its technological advances) and its subsequent effects, the audience is pulled into a marvel of the pros and cons of a near-realistic scenario (apes obtaining human intellect). Some parts of the film soared, but some parts lacked integrity (namely the dull role of James Franco), but it was completely balanced out by brilliant CGI, clever twists and turns and the pitch-perfect performance of the genius that is Andy Serkis. Expand
  54. Dec 30, 2011
    This has to be one of the most perfect films I have ever seen. The CGI is phenomenal, the story line is phenomenal. I can't wait for the rest of the of the films to be made.
  55. Apr 12, 2012
    this film has some think that not many other films have a STORY and it is an amazing story with some tremendous action scenes and great acting. i feel that i could make anyone watch this and they would say it was the best film of 2011 . trust me you will not pick a better movie to watch from 2011 then this one. if anyone say's this is a bad film then they should go sign up to call of duty elite.
  56. Dec 12, 2011
    A Very good film probably one of the best ones ive seen this year and certainly one of the best " Planet of the Apes" movies in my opinion...the cgi effects service the film and often they are quite natural so as you forget they are there...
    overall a must buy for people who love collecting movies
  57. Dec 15, 2011
    This is the best movie of the summer period. The only movie this summer that has come close to this level of quality was the last Harry Potter. Everything else is not even in the same ballpark. Not only does this movie give us an exciting and thought-provoking story, but it also delivers state-of-the-art effects that bring us one step closer to flawless computer animation. The character of Caesar (played brilliantly in motion capture by Andy Serkis) is one of the most compelling characters of the year. Thanks to Serkis, we come to understand all of Caesar's actions even though he doesn't really speak. We get to see his joy as a young ape swinging through the redwoods, and his hostility and determination when he finds himself locked in a facility with other apes. Through Andy Serkis' wonderful portrayal, I found myself having a strong vested interest in the outcome of this ape, and through that, I was able to hook myself into the storyline. The story, by the way, is expertly handled by Hollywood newcomer, Rupert Wyatt. Wyatt first gives us a chance to get to know the characters and the situation at hand. There's no rushing along in this action movie. Once that is set up, he delivers the goods. We get the chance to see how Caesar becomes the leader of the apes, and that leads to a stunningly crafted action scene that will overwhelm your senses with joy and excitement. This is one of those rare summer movies where you actually feel like there is some craftsmanship involved in making it. If you've been looking for a summer action movie that will blow you away, look no more. The apes are finally here, and they make for one hell of a fascinating movie. Expand
  58. Dec 29, 2011
    only one word for this film brilliant. rise of the planet of the apes is a fantastic film with brilliant graphics cgi and a great cast. a great story and a great action movie the best ape movie ever yes better then king kong. and also in my top 3 for film of the year.
  59. Jan 15, 2012
    I enjoyed this movie. The plot was good, and Andy Serkis' role as Caesar, a chimpanzee with an extraordinary IQ, was amazing. This movie is the best Planet of the Apes movie they've made since the first one in 1968. The dialogue was exceptionally good, and the characters were ones you actually liked. The special effects were excellent, too. I would definitely watch this reboot of the original one. So that being said, go and get this today! Expand
  60. Dec 30, 2011
    On so many levels, Rise is efficient movie-making at its best (even the end credits further the story in a simple, innovative way). All parts of the film work so well together that at times it becomes cinematic art. It's bound to become the new blueprint for franchise reboots. The story is straightforward, yet you will be emotionally invested in multiple characters just minutes in. Few movies I've seen in the past couple of years have a hero's journey as compelling and awe-inspiring as Caesar's. Knowing that he is an animated character created in concert with the motion capture of Andy Serkis ( Gollum in LOTR) only makes it more impressive. Expand
  61. Jan 5, 2012
    This movie really surprised me! I wasn't sure if it was going to be like the remake or not (which wasn't horrible, just not that great). This really had a great story that wove the whole (apes take over earth) scenario together. The level of detail in the apes facial expressions with cgi is amazing.
  62. Jan 6, 2012
    Best prequel ever! A great reboot to a slightly cheesy and dated original. Andy Serkis deserves an Oscar and I was totally on the side of the apes! John Lithgow gave the best performance he's given in years and even James Franco showed a lot of ability. It was the apes that stole the movie though. Serkis is a genius!
  63. Mar 14, 2012
    This is new classic, is a fantastic film, better than the thing that Burton's do, is amazing, and have an incredible performances, I love Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
  64. Mar 25, 2012
    First off this is a 9.5 out of 10. Have to round. 2nd, great sci-fi film. Acting all right, story and score is great, and visuals are outstanding. Screwed in the oscars. Still, this is a great film. Totally recommended.
  65. Nov 2, 2012
    Brilliant. This film is amazing! great story, CGI, all the rest of it. Rise of the Planet of the Apes is in my list of top movies... of ALL time! you really do start to feel for the characters especially the apes. Excellent film.
  66. Jul 22, 2012
    I LOVE this movie. I remember coming out of that theater just completely blown away. Everything from Andy Serkis' performance to the story. For a movie to become one of my all time favorites it must be a movie that I can watch over and over and over again and I never get tired of watching it because everything about it is firing on all cylinders. For me that was Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
  67. Feb 20, 2013
    Excelente precuela. Historia creíble. Mantiene la tensión en todo momento. Muy humana. Buenos efectos especiales. Dan ganas de que nuestro verdadero futuro sea ceder la civilización a otras especies.
  68. Jun 2, 2013
    A strong story along with a strong performance by Andy Serkis makes Rise of the Planet of the Apes one of the best in 2011. A very exciting and emotional time.
  69. Jul 6, 2014
    This film is so, so much better than it is credited for. It has an incredibly interesting story, the most realistic CGI that I have ever seen in any film, and the ability to make a non-speaking ape the most interesting protagonist of any film this year.

The story is extremely well paced, it has great build up in which characters are set up very well, and gives us some very interesting
    early scenes. But it's all left in the dust when our hero Caeser is introduced. This film manages to make a character who doesn't talk be extremely relateable, and oddly enough very well written. His transformation from quiet city ape to a crazy one hell-bent on an uprising is handled exceptionally well.

The CGI in this film is, by far, the best in cinematic history. Why? Because the apes look real. There were so many moments throughout this film that I thought the apes were genuinely there. There was a moment when my father asked if they were animatronic, and upon hearing of them being CGI he was blown away.

The only real downside to this film is James Franco's acting. He's acted well in other things but unfortunately here he makes his character very bland and boring. But that doesn't matter seeing as how he is not our hero.

All in all Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the greatest films that I have ever seen. The story is interesting, the CGI is flawless, the soundtrack is brilliant, and our main lead is one of the most well written characters we've seen in years. And so, if at any point you have to choose this over just another Michael Bay or some other egotistical prick's overblown action flick, you should always choose the Gorilla tackling the helicopter.
  70. Aug 8, 2014
    "Amazing Reboot!!", yes i said it, it's by far the best reboot I've ever witnessed. It's got stunning visual effects! Eye candy film... First time seeing this film, made me feel so satisfied, it almost made be believe that Apes could take over the world (although it is science fiction). This by far one of my all time favourite films, it hit every note for me. fantastic writing, captivating, and intriguing. It held my attention throughout the whole film. 100 out of 100!! an A+ Film!!

Now to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes! :)
  71. Jul 18, 2014
    One of the best movies i ever watched. It has a lot of emotional moments, funny ones and i cant wait to watch a new one! .
  72. Jan 20, 2014
    What a long title! Rise of the Planet of the Apes gives me this sense of tranquillity. The movie is suitable to everyone. When I saw the preview, I thought all of the apes were unfriendly to the humans. This wasn't the case when I saw it.
  73. Jul 18, 2014
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes es sin dudas una película con buenos efectos visuales, que te entretiene con la inteligente trama de la película, es un muy buen film para los amantes de la Ciencia-Ficción.
  74. Jul 5, 2014
    "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" is spectacular! The trailer looks damn good, but the movie itself is much more than that! The special effects are visually stunning, the characters are so lovable and the story is interesting and exciting.
  75. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט ממש טוב שכדאי לראות, סרט מעניין מהדקה הראשונה ועד האחרונה. מספר בצורה ממש יפה את הסיפור של סיזר. מהרגע שהוא נולד עד שהקין מרד
  76. Jul 10, 2014
    Easily one of the best movies that I have ever seen, if not the best. This movie inspires a plethora of emotions. The acting is superb and the computer graphics are some of the best I have seen. The story keeps viewers interested, with not a single point feeling rushed. This movie is a must watch for anybody looking for a wonderful movie to be immersed in. This movie is realistic and believable, in spite of the seemingly convoluted premise. I would recommend this movie for all age groups, maybe except exceptionally young individuals. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Aug 29, 2011
    By far the best spectacle movie of the season, and one of the few films to use digital technology for nuanced dramatic effect.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Aug 11, 2011
    Hell, even Heston's performance elicited cheers back in the day. Franco, in a totally, tonally different role, but still the prime human here, is a pale shadow of the ruined future to come.
  3. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Aug 8, 2011
    A worthy, exciting, emotional addition to the venerable monkey movie marathon. Apes will rise. Sequels are likely.