8.7

1. AJBoots
    Dec 9, 2003
    Mesmerizing. As a movie, it does the best I've seen at letting the viewer see the art in the way the artist conceived it. But the photography goes a step beyond merely viewing to expand the viewpoint by focusing on the lyrical and the stony/muddy context of these "earthworks."
  2. KristenT.
    Jan 3, 2003
    On the same plane as Clouzot's classic "Mystery of Picasso".
  3. MichaelS.
    Mar 11, 2003
    It was absolutely fascinating for the first twenty minutes, and would have made a brilliant short. But then it just drones on and on, with no further elaboration or revelation. I seem to be in the minority in thinking that this subject was not well-suited to feature length.
  4. MartinS.
    Mar 9, 2003
    Not time - as everyone says - nature, staged to exhibit its beauty.
  5. EvanJ.
    Apr 22, 2003
    Fantastic representation of an artist whos work is not that easy to understand on a deeper level, and even Goldsworthy seems to understand his work on no more than an instinctual level. The score by Frith is a subtle accompaniment that works well with the subject and towards the end links Goldsworthy back into his roots with a soft celtic tune over views of Scotland.
  6. MarisaG.
    Apr 25, 2003
    Amazing.
  7. BruceM.
    Jul 5, 2003
    Goldsworthy's wonderful exploration of the sublime seems out of place in a world obsessed with post-modern 'hype' art. This film provides a remarkable insight into the work of one of the greatest living sculptors.
  8. StevenL.
    Jan 20, 2004
    This moving deserves nothing less than a ten....The visual images are like desert of the highest quality for the soul....It reminds the viewer how important the natural world is as a source of spiritual and artistic enlightenment. Wonderful!!!
  9. gaylef.
    Apr 5, 2005
    Fantastic visual journey through the creative mind of a genius in understanding nature. Andy Goldsworthy awareness and reverance of nature is inspirational and spirtual!!!!
  10. Foxsong
    Mar 5, 2003
    A stunningly beautiful film. I was unfamiliar with Goldworthy's work, and found it heartfelt and moving. I am very glad I saw this movie!
  11. EvanJ.
    Apr 22, 2003
  12. DavidA.
    Apr 26, 2003
    Simply transforming. This film shows us art in its totality and the artist at his purist. Andy Goldsworthy presents humanity with a much needed reminder of our place in nature as participants not dominators.
  13. SaintHarry
    May 1, 2003
    This is one beautiful beautiful beautiful masterpiece. One of the most relaxing features I've seen in a long time. The art that Mr. Goldsworthy creates is just----Wow! Makes me want to buy his books like "Time" & "Arch".
  14. ChadS.
    May 20, 2003
    Memories of John Malkovich as driftwood artist on "Saturday Night Live" soon subside as this artist's persistence of vision started to work on me. "Rivers and Tides: Andy Goldsworthy Working with Time" is mesmerizing. It's the best documentary about an artist since "Amargosa".
  15. WendyC.
    Jun 24, 2003
    Absolutely delightful!
  16. ChandanN.
    Jul 31, 2003
    This is an excellent documentary of Goldsworthy's techinique and philosophy. There are two upsetting aspects to the film, however. The director found some reason to domesticate Goldsworthy in a scene in the artist's kitchen. It was totally superfluous and revealed more about Goldsworthy as being less than ideal as a parent and husband, with his wife tending kitchen and his This is an excellent documentary of Goldsworthy's techinique and philosophy. There are two upsetting aspects to the film, however. The director found some reason to domesticate Goldsworthy in a scene in the artist's kitchen. It was totally superfluous and revealed more about Goldsworthy as being less than ideal as a parent and husband, with his wife tending kitchen and his numerous children scurrying about. The second disappointment was Fred Frith's succumbing to the pop-American tendency to "Orientalize" bucolic scences with ethnically appropriate music, cf. sheep shearing and "Gaelic"-sounding music. Other than that, it is a brilliantly executed film. Expand
  17. ValarieB.
    Feb 21, 2006
    Andy pours his soul into his work and often takes it to the very edge of its collapse. That
  18. AustinH.
    Feb 28, 2003
    One of the most amazing experiences you can witness on film. Andy Goldsworthy's work is masterfull, and the film allows you to witness his works amazing transformation.
  19. RodijahP.
    May 16, 2003
    Andy is a human voice for nature. His ability to create fluid line and color with local, organic materials is astounding and his gentle, unobtrusive style of artistic expression is truly breathtaking.
  20. MonicaM.
    Jun 22, 2003
    Get out of here, Michael S. Your attention span is probably the problem. This movie was truly a treat to the psyche. It stimulates creativity and interest in the natural world, and that's why Goldsworthy is such a happy man. Anyone can learn something valuable while watching this movie.
  21. CarolD.
    Dec 4, 2004
    I thought Rivers and Time fabulous. Andy Goldsworthy -- what can I say? He is the artist in us all. He thinks like a philosopher and plays like a child. His work is sublime. I am enchanted with "art" that is ephemeral, or like, Henry Moore's out in the middle of nowhere for no one. As a weaver, I always wanted to do a weaving deep in the woods where no one goes, no one sees. Old age I thought Rivers and Time fabulous. Andy Goldsworthy -- what can I say? He is the artist in us all. He thinks like a philosopher and plays like a child. His work is sublime. I am enchanted with "art" that is ephemeral, or like, Henry Moore's out in the middle of nowhere for no one. As a weaver, I always wanted to do a weaving deep in the woods where no one goes, no one sees. Old age caught up with me before I was able to do it, but it is in a short story of mine, so in a sense it was done. thanks for the viewing. I saw it minutes ago on Movie Plex. Expand
  22. DCarter
    Apr 16, 2005
    To look at the everyday with a different eye. I do needlework and I am trying to incorporate a sense of personal challenge into anything I make. Andy, you are true inspiration.
  23. Dec 1, 2014
    I absolutely loved it. I thought I would die of boredom during the first minute, but then I calmed down, and was soon mesmerized by Andy's work. Watch this!

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    Fred Frith's lovely and subdued score is a perfect accompaniment.
  2. As the film's images accumulate, the movie becomes a sustained and ultimately refreshing meditation on surrender to the idea of temporality.
    In its own quiet, voluptuous way, Rivers and Tides, an unpretentiously brilliant documentary, uses the work of Scottish sculptor Andy Goldsworthy to open up the hidden drama of the natural universe.