Road to Perdition

8.8

1. Jul 21, 2013
    Beautifully shot, well-acted and dull. This is a movie that is so in awe of itself that it appears to be staring at it stunned, like a deer in the headlights.
  2. ChadS.
    Jul 13, 2002
    First of all, ardent Jennifer Jason-Leigh fans will be disappointed to see the fearless actress so utterly defanged in a small role as The Housewife. Also, the boy recovers awfully quick following the film's pivotal moment. And last of all, it seems like a contrivance that the Tom Hanks character couldn't figure out the dirty dealings of Rooney's son. Which could all be First of all, ardent Jennifer Jason-Leigh fans will be disappointed to see the fearless actress so utterly defanged in a small role as The Housewife. Also, the boy recovers awfully quick following the film's pivotal moment. And last of all, it seems like a contrivance that the Tom Hanks character couldn't figure out the dirty dealings of Rooney's son. Which could all be overlooked if "The Road to Perdition" wasn't such an ordeal to sit through. If not for the people's good will towards Hanks, they'd be leaving in droves during the film's first hour. This is not a near-miss. It's a misfire. Expand
  3. Steve
    Jul 13, 2002
    Ponderous and boring with characters popping up unexpectedly. Very well acted. Beautifully photographed (some shots appear to be choreographed) with very rich atmosphere, it's the kind of film that is going to be seriously overated. Stick to "Bonnie and Clyde".
  4. Norvegico
    Mar 12, 2003
    Hollywood has a real problem in daring to make controversial films and to take real artistic decisions. They always play it safe. That reduces the films to something that does not offend anyone but do not surprise either. The Road to Perdition is yet another example of this. I give the film a 5 thanks to good visuals. Long live european film!
  5. PatC.
    Jan 5, 2004
    It's a cautionary tale: If you're naughty, you might live a boring pointless life then get shot. But not soon enough.
  6. FestusD.
    Oct 26, 2002
    As emotionally gripping as a Tylenol commercial.
  7. KevinR.
    Jul 12, 2002
    A lot of shooting and driving, but not much else going on here. None of the action sequences develop any sort of momentum, and in the serious moments no one seems to have much of anything to say. This movie was so thin and uncompelling it made me desperate to see Goodfellas.
  8. Richard
    Jul 15, 2002
    Soggy and very convinced of its heaviness, but ultimately not much worth here caring about beyond the cinematography. Hanks shows some fire, Newman is terrific, and Law is just weird. The kid is awful.
  9. ChristopherN.
    Jul 18, 2002
    Dull. Boring. Predictable. Script was horrid. Good performances from most involved, but what a lackluster film.
  10. JohnO.
    Feb 28, 2003
    So s.....l.....o......w and so artfully set up I felt manipulated.
  11. ButteredPopCorn
    Mar 5, 2003
    Sorry, but I have real problems with a father-son movie in which the father tries to bestow a sense of right and wrong to his son while gainfully employed in the business of killing. (Daddy, can we not kill anyone today please?!) The movie works real hard to make the stretch, but can't pull it off. It is in fact, two movies. One espousing family values, the other giddily endulging Sorry, but I have real problems with a father-son movie in which the father tries to bestow a sense of right and wrong to his son while gainfully employed in the business of killing. (Daddy, can we not kill anyone today please?!) The movie works real hard to make the stretch, but can't pull it off. It is in fact, two movies. One espousing family values, the other giddily endulging itself in the thrill of gangster style killings. Result: a soggy and confused muck of a movie. But in pieces, it is very enjoyable. In its entirety, completely forgettable. Expand
  12. DaveC.
    Sep 18, 2003
    This film is flawlessly acted but suffers from an occasionally flawed script, lack of emotional involvment with the characters, gimmicky camera work. To be honest, I even disagree with the people who said this film was beautifully shot. The fact that this was digitally shot makes it look somewhat ugly and unconvincing. There are no really powerful images in the film. Never did I feel any This film is flawlessly acted but suffers from an occasionally flawed script, lack of emotional involvment with the characters, gimmicky camera work. To be honest, I even disagree with the people who said this film was beautifully shot. The fact that this was digitally shot makes it look somewhat ugly and unconvincing. There are no really powerful images in the film. Never did I feel any empathy for the father and son, never did I feel that the film was trying to teach me a valuable lesson. At the end of the day, this film never seems to strive for anything more than a pseudo-moral lesson that is less inspiring than some episodes of Power Rangers. "Violence and guns are bad, don't let your kids get dragged into it". Thanks for that. But for a film so seemingly determined to be politically correct and wholesome in its purpose, it sure is quick to show stereotypical portrayals of women and homosexuals. Make no mistake. This film was made with one thing in mind, WIN AN OSCAR, and to its credit, it does have some of the hallmarks of an oscar winner, none of the performances are second rate, the story is well constructed and often uses visual narrative in a very clever manner, the editing not overdone and the film never descends into soppy sentimentality until the cringe-inducing closing narrative. So if you want my advice, don't listen to the critics, this is no masterpiece or cinematic triumph by any stretch of the imagination. On technical terms, it's brilliant (if you're not like me and you don't mind digital filming) and at times is interesting as a gangster film with an unusually atmospheric tone but is otherwise an unfortunate example of the soullessness of Hollywood. Expand
  13. J.B.
    Aug 12, 2002
    Here's my generalized opinion. It looks good, and most of the acting's fine. But this movie was so heavy-handed, it feels more important then it actually is. It has big, grand ideas, but it was so ponderous and reserved, I couldn't connect.

1. Results are classy entertainment with little to interest women viewers but very shrewdly and cleverly put together, and probably more rewarding in long-range terms if you invest in Fox or Dreamworks than if you actually see the movie.
    Overflowing with melancholy and tragedy, Road to Perdition is one of the most somber gangster pictures ever made.
    On screen, Road to Perdition becomes a lace-curtain shoot-'em-up about fathers and sons. The graphic novel is more kinetic and more powerful than the motion picture.