6.3

1. Feb 12, 2014
    The original "Robocop" has been an instant classic and a favorite to almost all people. in reference to the remake, it is pretty decent and worth a watch; it is a refreshing look at one of the best, not disappointing but in fact more than pleasing with a surprisingly a strong re-watchable value to it.
  2. May 6, 2014
    I simply don't understand why they made Robocop 2014 the way they did... It's too talky and boring for kids... And it's then also too talky and boring for adults as well!
    I know who they were going for now... people called Reginald who would take a flask of earl grey tea with them to the theator.. "Oooh crivens that robotic fellow jumped very highly indeed."
    For your own good don't

For your own good don't waste your time. They set out to make a completely different take on Robocop which is fair enough, I don't have a problem with that... It's just that it's absolutely crap. Very slow and boring.. The pacing is like watching paint dry and the action is just little random flecks of dust sticking to that paint. Better if you bought the toy and stared at it.
  3. Mar 7, 2014
    While entertaining at times, I still found myself asking why this movie was made. I had watched the original just days before seeing this so that may have made me a little more nit picky. What really makes the original better than this is the villains, the violence and the satire.
  4. Feb 21, 2014
    It degrades the classic original with going in depth with tones that are corny and unimportant and they are not what made the original a hit and I have to say masterpiece of sci-fi. Its few action scenes and Samuel Jackson are somewhat interesting and funny, it ultimately is too safe, with too many pedestrian roles, and without gore, which in a movie about a criminal-killing machine, is aIt degrades the classic original with going in depth with tones that are corny and unimportant and they are not what made the original a hit and I have to say masterpiece of sci-fi. Its few action scenes and Samuel Jackson are somewhat interesting and funny, it ultimately is too safe, with too many pedestrian roles, and without gore, which in a movie about a criminal-killing machine, is a little bit of a necessity. Expand
  5. Feb 20, 2014
    Actually a lot better than expected, this is what people would look forward to in a Robocop remake. This is the closest you can get to a good Robocop remake without the completely copying the original. This surprisingly wasn't the CGI mess fans were afraid of. It was less gruesome and gritty than the original, which was personally my favorite part of the original, I didn't even realize theActually a lot better than expected, this is what people would look forward to in a Robocop remake. This is the closest you can get to a good Robocop remake without the completely copying the original. This surprisingly wasn't the CGI mess fans were afraid of. It was less gruesome and gritty than the original, which was personally my favorite part of the original, I didn't even realize the movie was PG-13 till after the movie, I just expected it was R, and that is probably why it lacks the grit. The main actor performs well in his TV series "The Killing" but is somehow puts on a bland performance. I can't even judge the other actors, because anyone who wasn't the lead maybe got 20 minutes of screen time total, with the exception of Gary Oldman's character who put on the best performance in this movie. If you are a fan of the amazing classic, you won't "love" this remake, but you at least won't hate it. Expand
  6. Feb 20, 2014
    After a Detroit cop (Joel Kinnaman) is severely injured, a tech company puts him a mostly mechanical suit to change the "face" of the police force. I remember the original 1987 movie as being pretty cool. This version does have some very cool future tech, but that's about it. There's too much debate about ethical merits and other political/moral crap and not nearly enough ass-kicking. WhatAfter a Detroit cop (Joel Kinnaman) is severely injured, a tech company puts him a mostly mechanical suit to change the "face" of the police force. I remember the original 1987 movie as being pretty cool. This version does have some very cool future tech, but that's about it. There's too much debate about ethical merits and other political/moral crap and not nearly enough ass-kicking. What action there is lacks focus or any inventive staging. Kinnaman (you might know him from "The Killing") plays it very serious and the supporting cast is equally earnest. The opening sequence in Tehran and the introduction of the robot equipment creates a promising start, but the movie bogs down in needless chatter and dull drama. Expand
  7. Jul 26, 2014
    Very average movie, hoped with modern special effects this update would be more epic then I remembered the first being. I was very disappointed with the overall movie, it just wasn't very entertaining.
  8. Sep 2, 2014
    In short: nothing special. I didn't see a point to rework original movie. This film does not bring anything new. This is just one more action movie - same as hundreds of such kind.
  9. Feb 26, 2014
    I enjoyed the robotic themes contained in this film, but it certainly does not capture the feel or spirit of the original. The best thing going for it is that they did not attempt to make the same plot again. Gary Oldman is the highlight, Samuel L. Jackson is the boring shoe-horn to try to make this movies seem like a critique of society. Ultimately, just another mediocre remake.
  10. May 15, 2014
    Although a solid reboot with nice effects, movie is very predictable and lacks thrills the original had. Just another generic blockbuster flick than leaves you in the middle of the road to catch a ride back home.
  11. May 16, 2014
    This is not a bad movie per se, but Robocop fails to leave a lasting impression. The cast is strong; Joel Kinnaman has a good bit of presence on screen, but playing a character defined by his robotic, in-human qualities is hardly a task any actor would relish. Keaton and Oldman are fine, as is Abby Cornish in a pretty thankless role as the put-upon wife. The story never really engages, andThis is not a bad movie per se, but Robocop fails to leave a lasting impression. The cast is strong; Joel Kinnaman has a good bit of presence on screen, but playing a character defined by his robotic, in-human qualities is hardly a task any actor would relish. Keaton and Oldman are fine, as is Abby Cornish in a pretty thankless role as the put-upon wife. The story never really engages, and for all it's puffed-up social commentary, it struggles to drive home its point. Expand
  12. Nov 10, 2014
    RoboCop might have cool visual effects and some decent social commentary but is however hampered down by its dullness, weak plot and lack of substance.
  13. Nov 2, 2014
    RoboCop is what we usually expect from a remake: a very safe story that is incredibly similar to the original as to not upset the fans. Although it brings the idea of RoboCop into the 21st century, the film lacks any flare or innovation for a long dormant franchise. Even a star-studded cast could not save these very stereotypical and comical characters from an unfocused story. There isRoboCop is what we usually expect from a remake: a very safe story that is incredibly similar to the original as to not upset the fans. Although it brings the idea of RoboCop into the 21st century, the film lacks any flare or innovation for a long dormant franchise. Even a star-studded cast could not save these very stereotypical and comical characters from an unfocused story. There is little empathy for the protagonist's situation with too much focus. Not a must-see but for the cast this recycled robot tale is worth a watch. Expand
  14. Feb 18, 2014
    Not bad, but not good either.

The 2014 movie is way too toned down, the original had a lot of senseless violence in a apathic society. That was the fun of it, we had stuff like the magnavolt commercial and the ED-209 boardroom shooting to set the tone. The bits with Samuel L. Jackson try to put a spin this, but it isn't utilized properly. They should have ditched the PG-13 rating to
    Not bad, but not good either.

They should have ditched the PG-13 rating to give this movie the proper tone it needed.

Though i have to admit that the use of updated technologies like tracking cellphones and drone enforcers was pretty nice. Also, the process where Murphy was adapting to his new body was also handled pretty well.

In short, this movie has very little of what made the original great.
  15. May 3, 2014
    This was one of the most insultingly stupid movies I've ever watched. How anyone gave this one a pass, or even more than a score of 3 here, is beyond me, and makes me consider suicide. Let me elaborate.
    I'd like to start off by saying that I saw the movie just now. I did want to go to the cinema to see it, but I decided not to, as I'm not a Robocop fan. But I was excited for it, even more so than my friends who are actual Robocop fans - I liked Robocop's new design, the direction the trailers were showing off... but apperantly, all that had to go do the trash bin. Except the new suit, which was the only good thing in this movie.
    To be frank - the worst thing that happened to this movie, is the Director's vision. His vision was totally wrong, the movie was shot so terribly for an action flick, I don't even know how this dude graduated, if he has even ever considered studying film making. If not, sir Jose Padiha, you need to. A lot. Because what you did to this movie is atrocious. Ugly drama shots, overexposed and too long shots of things that overall do not matter to the plot, no comedy relief in a movie struglling with itself... I have no words to express my anger. How does someone as obviously ungifted as this guy get to direct this big of a movie is simply unexplainable.
    On the acting side we have nothing too - we have almost no one good and fitting. And why is Samuel Jackson there? For a poster name, duh. Joel Kinnaman does a good job as Robocop, though not memorable, he was tolerable and likable. But beyond that - everyone else was absolutely useless.
    Also, the script was extremely weak. I can, on the spot, think up a much better script than what was offered. Not that the original RoboCop had a brilliant one, but it had much more to go for than that.
    I also want to point out, that one of the musical tracks used in this movie is a stolen track from Howard Drossin's OST of Splatterhouse (2009) - it was simply a tad reworked. Even if they did pay for it, it was so obvious that it ruined the whole scene it was used in for me, because not only was it a re-used track, but also the reworked version they used caused the original track to use all of it's appeal.
    And to top it all off - the ending was so stupid, I lack the words to even try and talk about it. Worst ending ever - that's all I can say.
    I didn't enjoy this movie at all. It was one of the worst movies I've ever watched, and I seriously am sorry for all the Robofans out there.
    Just another heap of junk - a pile of ruined potential, courtesy of Hollywood. Also, Jose Padiha - I hope you retire soon, or get actual education. For your own sake.

All in all:

Acting - 2/5 - Not memorable, Samuel Jackson just along for the cash, obviously. Nice Alex Murphy though.
    Directing - 2/5 - the worst thing that could have happened to this movie. It's not bad, it just doesn't go well with the whole concept. Further more - this movie contains the worst ending ever shot. Ever.
    Script - 1/5 - so many missed out opportunites...
    OST - -1/5 - stolen and generic.
    Enjoyment - 0/5 - I did not enjoy a single moment of this movie. It was too long, too dramatic, in conflict with itself and simply terrible.

Overall: 1/5 - terrible CGI-fest of a movie that has no other reason to exist than to cash in on a famous name. The only good thing in it was the new Robocop Suit Design, which I, personally, like.
  16. Feb 18, 2014
    If this was the first Robocop film made I would rank it higher, but it doesn't cover any ground the original didn't cover. The graphics and special effects are better, of course, but the bad guys in the original film are much better, and the first film has a grittier, more realistic feel to it. Not a bad film, but unoriginal.
  17. Feb 16, 2014
    Perfectly adequate - yet forgettable. This movie boasts some impressive visual effects and entertaining social commentary, yet never really comes alive through any of its performances. A rather dull climax as well. Perfectly good, yet not destined to be a classic - especially in the shadow of the original 1987 film.
  18. Feb 12, 2014
    Definitely not a re-hash of the old Robocop story. Good action flick, but in no way a classic. Action was good, acting was ok, had a good time watching it but nothing really sticks with you.
  19. Feb 3, 2015
    I watched this movie and I feel dead inside. How can someone make this kind of crap?
    What's wrong with people? Why would you expose people to this kind of horror?
    Avoid at all costs. If you need to see a robocop movie, just get the original. And stay away from sequels or reboot. I rather have a laser pointer pointed to my eye than watch it again.
  20. Feb 19, 2014
    It does have some sparks, but ultimately deteriorates into realm of predictability with thick cumbersome political plot. The first half decently tells the origins and human aspect of RoboCop, some of these scenes are well constructed and scripted. Unfortunately, it leaks out interest, trudging into mediocre shoot'em up as it goes. Corporate plot angle is uninspiring, and while the cast isIt does have some sparks, but ultimately deteriorates into realm of predictability with thick cumbersome political plot. The first half decently tells the origins and human aspect of RoboCop, some of these scenes are well constructed and scripted. Unfortunately, it leaks out interest, trudging into mediocre shoot'em up as it goes. Corporate plot angle is uninspiring, and while the cast is robust enough, the movie falls apart as soon as RoboCop leaves assembly line.

Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, the destined organic material on the machine, does a good performance. The better moments of the movie are how this sturdy rather stubborn detective undergoes life-changing experience, yet still clings to what little humanity he has left. He exhibits vigor and occasional fragility, a compelling story despite the expected human cyborg premise. Gary Oldman as Dr. Dennet Norton, is nothing but superb pick, he seemingly able to become different person in his every persona. As the doctor who's responsible of Murphy's rebirth into more than half machine, he displays much empathy and also pragmatism as his ways aren't always up to moral value he wants.

Donning the role of antagonist is the eccentric entrepreneur, Raymond Sellars played by Michael Keaton. Able to throw money and time just for good advertisement, this man is no villain. In fact, he looks a bit comical at times, surely annoying but works more as commentary of greed than actual threat. Samuel L, Jackson plays a TV persona, Tom Navek, who has a pro machine agenda. He's charismatic, almost in excessive marketing fashion, even though his character is quite unique since he uses monologue aplenty and doesn't interact much with other. With these quirky characters, I can't help but think they wanted to be modern strange authority figures like in Hunger Games, although lacking in sly and wit.

Graphic is good, gadgets appears functional, robots move fluidly and most importantly RoboCop doesn't lumber as if he hasn't been greased for months. The stylistic leaner black tone is admittedly eye-catching, plus it's already a given that superhero reboot always wear dark. Visual clues or indicator effects are good addition to modernize the perspective. Holographic HUD makes the detail sleeker; it's a nice touch and merges well with the action. However, there is one shooting scene in darkness which flickers unreasonably, moment like this is too hectic for their own overly expressive good.

RoboCop starts out decently, the special effects are good replacement for the original's practical ones, cast does satisfactory job, but as it enters the third act it bleeds out like the titular protagonist did. It's by no means a failure, it's merely an average sci-fi movie.
  21. Feb 16, 2014
    The storyline was rather boring. It was cool how they showed Robocop transform throughout the movie. Samuel L Jackson Completely ruined the movie. 6/10
  22. Feb 13, 2014
    First things first: the original movie was a masterpiece and I love it for how cheesy, how gorey and how fun it was to watch, and NOTHING will touch it.

With that said, the remake of robocop was surprisingly very good...and actually more deep than the original, with a lot of development on the story and less on action. Infact, I really loved the many characters and how they didn't just disappear (heck, Murphy's wife is not only present in this version, but she's an active character and an actual anchor for Murphy. That's one big thing to add!), whereas in the original I just remembered the policewoman friend of Murphy Anne Lewis and I can't recall many others at all (at least, until the sequels). A lot of the movie is about story development and about a lot of controversies about robots taking over the security (a lot reminiscent of the movie I,Robot in a way), and that was something that lacked a lot in the original: proper backstory and motivations. I honestly went in the theatre ready to be disappointed but, surprisingly, I enjoyed it a lot and I was also asking myself questions about the scenery and the characters (AKA: I hope there's a sequel!)

What really fails in the movie is probably the fact that this is definitely more action oriented than the original (actually, the actions scenes are few and nothing special...but better than in the original) and...well robocop's new form is pretty bland and just not special: the original Robocop was very clunky and not agile at all and that was the charm, while in here he's able to be extremely agile and even has a bike to go through the city just like Batman does...yeah in a way he's more like a superhero here, which is not completely a fail. I just felt the new Robocop armor is just bland.

Also the story is a bit of a mess at the end but I won't spoil it: let's just say I was trying to understand what happened at the end and that's that.

In short, it's a worthy remake, but it's NEVER going to reach the quality of the original, which I liked as a kid but LOVED as an adult the more I grew up. But like I said the remake is a worthy one, because it develops on part that the original didn't bother to develop.

I think it's decent: you'll either like it it, or won't bother with it.
  23. Feb 15, 2014
    A very good action movie with a decent amount of commentary and discussion about the state of the world… I would give a solid 8 to 9 this movie, but I'll give a 10 just to counter-balance the jerks who gave it zero for absolute no reason. Let the original RoboCop stay where it belongs, as an eighties classic and give a chance to this one!
  24. Feb 12, 2014
    Saw it today and thought it was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. Calling it the worst him you seen, not as good as the first, degraded cast etc is such B.S. Im sure you all have favorite movies or tv games. If you look at the reviews theres always people giving anything a bad score. Take everything by a grain of salt. Some people are just miserable souls that get off putting downSaw it today and thought it was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. Calling it the worst him you seen, not as good as the first, degraded cast etc is such B.S. Im sure you all have favorite movies or tv games. If you look at the reviews theres always people giving anything a bad score. Take everything by a grain of salt. Some people are just miserable souls that get off putting down movies. Whatever the case the story, casting (especially Samsual L jackson) and action was great. Expand
  25. Feb 13, 2014
    A much needed reboot of the Robocop franchise! The original Robocop is a classic, yet this remake/reboot stands on it's own. Great plot, great acting, plenty of action. It's good that the campy crap from part 2 and 3 was thrown out in exchange for a deep, rich screenplay.
  26. Feb 13, 2014
    Pretty darn good. Exceeded expectations and never got the feel they were just pandering to the audience. Definitely worth a theater view; you'll be entertained!
  27. Feb 14, 2014
    Please stay away from this movie as much as possible. The only thing that it had going for it, but sadly crushed it to pieces after the first 20 minutes, was the concept on how the United States reacted to machines controlling the general population of humans on the U.S compared to how they were using them in other countries, The Senate voting and all the drama surrounding the issue thatPlease stay away from this movie as much as possible. The only thing that it had going for it, but sadly crushed it to pieces after the first 20 minutes, was the concept on how the United States reacted to machines controlling the general population of humans on the U.S compared to how they were using them in other countries, The Senate voting and all the drama surrounding the issue that was much more enjoyable than the rest of the movie. Many negatives like terrible acting, (Samuel L. Jackson was the best in the movie, so that says something), terrible writing which got pretty silly at times and cliche, bland characters and character development, and most of all terrible action sequences. NOTHING in this movie even got me scared to see Robocop died (which I would've rather seen so the movie would finish faster) I don't even know how this movie got passed by Columbia Pictures, but this is just absurd. Right when you think the movie will go into the right way or story, the cast and crew just say NOPE straight out with this terrible excuse of a "remake". If Hollywood keeps making remakes like these, well then I won't be watching any remakes any time soon... 2/10. (Only watchable if you are drunk) Expand
  28. Feb 23, 2014
    What do you get when you strip out the wit, satire, and ultraviolence of Paul Verhoeven's ROBOCOP (1987)? You get this tepid 2014 remake that has no bite and no satire. This new version has nothing new to say and was clearly made by committee. Everything special about ROBOCOP has been removed and what you're left with is a bad version of THE TERMINATOR. It is important to state that theWhat do you get when you strip out the wit, satire, and ultraviolence of Paul Verhoeven's ROBOCOP (1987)? You get this tepid 2014 remake that has no bite and no satire. This new version has nothing new to say and was clearly made by committee. Everything special about ROBOCOP has been removed and what you're left with is a bad version of THE TERMINATOR. It is important to state that the first 10 minutes allude to a new movie with something to say about American global domination but all of that is dropped 20 minutes in and then the film just plods along with cheap sentimentality and obvious anti-corporate ideology. What a waste of a talent like Joel Kinnaman. Get a new agent! Expand
  29. Feb 12, 2014
    This film is really good. My expectations were low but I think Padilha did an excellent job on inserting some "soul" in the film, that is not just action. The characters are very well chosen, the action scenes (not many action scenes as I was expecting) were good scripted and the lack of stupid jokes we have seen constantly in the films nowadays is an excellent addition.
  30. Feb 13, 2014
    Let,s just start by saying my expectations were really low since 'am a fan from the original trilogy (exept 3rd one that wasn't really good) and I was pretty suprised of how they totally regenerate the franchise^^.Of course, the movie should had been at least an hour longer since they had to ''compress'' the story in a lil less than 2 hours, BUT they give Alex a more ''human side'' than inLet,s just start by saying my expectations were really low since 'am a fan from the original trilogy (exept 3rd one that wasn't really good) and I was pretty suprised of how they totally regenerate the franchise^^.Of course, the movie should had been at least an hour longer since they had to ''compress'' the story in a lil less than 2 hours, BUT they give Alex a more ''human side'' than in the originals, because I remember when i was a kid I always ask myself; why don't he just go see his god d*** family to told them he is still ''alive'' and i was pretty happy that they add this side of his life once he turn a robot..It just make more sense to me.Action side it is full of it, he can finally run/jump, which I find more appealing/appropriate for an advanced rebot like this.The Only down side of this movie is that it's really too short, if they had a bigger budget they could have easily elaborated the story. BUT, since i fugure it's only the first one of a new departure in Robocop movies, I just hope people won't listen to most of the bad ''official reviews'' out there, because they were obviously expecting a remake instead of a ''fresh new start'' for this franchise.I would rate it 8 out of 10 but i put a 10 just to balance the bad reviews out there,that I think they are totally unfair.Great movie, really entertaining, already waiting for the sequel. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Feb 14, 2014
    It's well made, polished, and hits every mark — but is it crazy to want a futuristic sci-fi action flick about a motorcycle-riding metal supercop to be just a little more fun?
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Feb 14, 2014
    Brazilian director José Padilha (Elite Squad, Bus 174) soldiers on stolidly, but lacks the Dutch Verheoeven's abiding sense of mischief.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Feb 13, 2014
    Neither Alex Murphy’s internal moral conflict nor the larger, vaguely satiric portrait of a global culture dependent on high-tech law enforcement seem to be the main point of this Robocop remake, which raises the question of what is meant to be the point.