6.3

1. Feb 12, 2014
    The original "Robocop" has been an instant classic and a favorite to almost all people. in reference to the remake, it is pretty decent and worth a watch; it is a refreshing look at one of the best, not disappointing but in fact more than pleasing with a surprisingly a strong re-watchable value to it.
  2. Feb 12, 2014
    Very good movie! Great special effects and good play actors. Oldman is very good actor. Much better than I expected. I can't help but feel that some of the less than positive reviews are because of unfavourable comparisons with the original which is unfair because in many ways this is a better movie than the original.
  3. Feb 12, 2014
    RoboCop (2014) is so much better than you're expecting that, for most of the 103 minute running time, you completely forget you bought those $16 Imax tickets just out of curiosity to see how bad of a train wreck this film was guaranteed to be. Instead, you'll find yourself surprised at how well it turned out and wishing it was all just a little better. Instead of the crime against humanityRoboCop (2014) is so much better than you're expecting that, for most of the 103 minute running time, you completely forget you bought those $16 Imax tickets just out of curiosity to see how bad of a train wreck this film was guaranteed to be. Instead, you'll find yourself surprised at how well it turned out and wishing it was all just a little better. Instead of the crime against humanity we were all fearing, Robocop is a decidedly well crafted film that can't achieve greatness.

Smart, expertly acted (had I known earlier that Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton signed on, I would have had higher expectations), and politically poignant, RoboCop is a remake far better than it has any right to be. It's frustrating to watch such a worthy movie fall all over itself in its earnest attempt to convey a plotline similar to that of the 1987 original. The cerebral bits of the film, of which there are many, prove to be captivating and compelling as the audience is forced to bear the emotional burden of watching Alex Murphy come to terms with being a quadruple amputee.

Then there's the action. Or, rather, near total lack of it. In an ironic twist of fate, the PG13 rated RoboCop didn't turn out to be the watered down, plot-less, ham handed G.I Joe of an action movie so many had feared. It's not much of an action movie at all. The few sequences of robot-kicking-ass-with-style are generic at best and borderline laughable at worst. Unfortunately, there's just not much combat or octane in this film, and mercifully there aren't more scenes that try for it.

RoboCop is a surprising success, either because expectations were so abysmally low or it's actually a good flick. This viewer thinks it's a bit of both, but the former doesn't infringe on the later.

Score: 7.5 (rounded up to 8)

-imafallguy
  4. Feb 12, 2014
    Fairly strong and solid first half that succeeds in raising interest and anticipation, but then the movie takes a very wrong turn and devolves into mindless, pointless action for the whole remaining hour.
  5. Feb 12, 2014
    Saw it today and thought it was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. Calling it the worst him you seen, not as good as the first, degraded cast etc is such B.S. Im sure you all have favorite movies or tv games. If you look at the reviews theres always people giving anything a bad score. Take everything by a grain of salt. Some people are just miserable souls that get off putting downSaw it today and thought it was great! The crowd seemed to enjoy it too. Calling it the worst him you seen, not as good as the first, degraded cast etc is such B.S. Im sure you all have favorite movies or tv games. If you look at the reviews theres always people giving anything a bad score. Take everything by a grain of salt. Some people are just miserable souls that get off putting down movies. Whatever the case the story, casting (especially Samsual L jackson) and action was great. Expand
  6. Feb 13, 2014
    A much needed reboot of the Robocop franchise! The original Robocop is a classic, yet this remake/reboot stands on it's own. Great plot, great acting, plenty of action. It's good that the campy crap from part 2 and 3 was thrown out in exchange for a deep, rich screenplay.
  7. Feb 12, 2014
    Holy crap, this movie is so bland as hell, it has stupid storyline and plotline, The main character "Murphy" death is so pathetic and anti climatic compare to the 1987 "Murphy" death. Most of the character is bland and no personality. The main protagonist is a boring guy. Its obviously not worth a remake, the 1987 Robocop was way more badass than this! Oh.......btw this movie is racistHoly crap, this movie is so bland as hell, it has stupid storyline and plotline, The main character "Murphy" death is so pathetic and anti climatic compare to the 1987 "Murphy" death. Most of the character is bland and no personality. The main protagonist is a boring guy. Its obviously not worth a remake, the 1987 Robocop was way more badass than this! Oh.......btw this movie is racist too......... Expand
  8. Feb 13, 2014
    First things first: the original movie was a masterpiece and I love it for how cheesy, how gorey and how fun it was to watch, and NOTHING will touch it.

With that said, the remake of robocop was surprisingly very good...and actually more deep than the original, with a lot of development on the story and less on action. Infact, I really loved the many characters and how they didn't just disappear (heck, Murphy's wife is not only present in this version, but she's an active character and an actual anchor for Murphy. That's one big thing to add!), whereas in the original I just remembered the policewoman friend of Murphy Anne Lewis and I can't recall many others at all (at least, until the sequels). A lot of the movie is about story development and about a lot of controversies about robots taking over the security (a lot reminiscent of the movie I,Robot in a way), and that was something that lacked a lot in the original: proper backstory and motivations. I honestly went in the theatre ready to be disappointed but, surprisingly, I enjoyed it a lot and I was also asking myself questions about the scenery and the characters (AKA: I hope there's a sequel!)

What really fails in the movie is probably the fact that this is definitely more action oriented than the original (actually, the actions scenes are few and nothing special...but better than in the original) and...well robocop's new form is pretty bland and just not special: the original Robocop was very clunky and not agile at all and that was the charm, while in here he's able to be extremely agile and even has a bike to go through the city just like Batman does...yeah in a way he's more like a superhero here, which is not completely a fail. I just felt the new Robocop armor is just bland.

Also the story is a bit of a mess at the end but I won't spoil it: let's just say I was trying to understand what happened at the end and that's that.

In short, it's a worthy remake, but it's NEVER going to reach the quality of the original, which I liked as a kid but LOVED as an adult the more I grew up. But like I said the remake is a worthy one, because it develops on part that the original didn't bother to develop.

I think it's decent: you'll either like it it, or won't bother with it.
  9. Feb 12, 2014
    This film is really good. My expectations were low but I think Padilha did an excellent job on inserting some "soul" in the film, that is not just action. The characters are very well chosen, the action scenes (not many action scenes as I was expecting) were good scripted and the lack of stupid jokes we have seen constantly in the films nowadays is an excellent addition.
  10. Feb 13, 2014
    Not sure whether it's because I am a science worker or that I praise human life and family values pretty much this movie was a huge positive to me. It dealt with many particular issues in a very direct manner. It seems to be a harbinger of something bigger not only in the cinematography.
  11. Feb 12, 2014
    Loved the movie. Great actors. a Fresh new storyline which in my opinion was really needed. Just enough action scenes and very emotional at the same time.
  12. Feb 12, 2014
    An absolute waste. Terrible departures from the original (Officer Anne Lewis is now Jack Lewis? What), no Clarence Boddicker, and finally, no soul. Disgusting.
  13. Feb 12, 2014
    Needless, pointless, watered down. Also, degraded all the cast, which was made up of very able, very talented and well respected actors.
    Robocop had the Director, the actors, the scenario, the atmosphere and the era it deserved back in 1987... there is no movie called "Robocop" in 2014.
    Poor. You forget about it as soon as you get out of the theater.
  14. Feb 12, 2014
    I'm so glad I got a free ticket to this rubbish and didn't pay to watch it, even so its 2 hours wasted. The film is atrocious, its by far the worst film I've seen in a long time, the acting is wooden, the Murphy character is so hollow and bland you develop no attachment to the lead protagonist and the story is so slow and lame you just end up wanting the film to end as quickly as possible,I'm so glad I got a free ticket to this rubbish and didn't pay to watch it, even so its 2 hours wasted. The film is atrocious, its by far the worst film I've seen in a long time, the acting is wooden, the Murphy character is so hollow and bland you develop no attachment to the lead protagonist and the story is so slow and lame you just end up wanting the film to end as quickly as possible, and the ending when it eventually comes is just as lame as the rest of the film. The 'action' is so cheesy its laughable and some of the acting is cringeworthy. The original is so, so, much better. This pointless cash in of a remake isn't a scratch on the original film. Expand
  15. Feb 13, 2014
    Pretty darn good. Exceeded expectations and never got the feel they were just pandering to the audience. Definitely worth a theater view; you'll be entertained!
  16. Feb 14, 2014
    Please stay away from this movie as much as possible. The only thing that it had going for it, but sadly crushed it to pieces after the first 20 minutes, was the concept on how the United States reacted to machines controlling the general population of humans on the U.S compared to how they were using them in other countries, The Senate voting and all the drama surrounding the issue thatPlease stay away from this movie as much as possible. The only thing that it had going for it, but sadly crushed it to pieces after the first 20 minutes, was the concept on how the United States reacted to machines controlling the general population of humans on the U.S compared to how they were using them in other countries, The Senate voting and all the drama surrounding the issue that was much more enjoyable than the rest of the movie. Many negatives like terrible acting, (Samuel L. Jackson was the best in the movie, so that says something), terrible writing which got pretty silly at times and cliche, bland characters and character development, and most of all terrible action sequences. NOTHING in this movie even got me scared to see Robocop died (which I would've rather seen so the movie would finish faster) I don't even know how this movie got passed by Columbia Pictures, but this is just absurd. Right when you think the movie will go into the right way or story, the cast and crew just say NOPE straight out with this terrible excuse of a "remake". If Hollywood keeps making remakes like these, well then I won't be watching any remakes any time soon... 2/10. (Only watchable if you are drunk) Expand
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    The movie starts out strong - I greatly enjoyed the establishing scenes and the officers emotional journey of getting acclimated to being in "the robot." But as things go awry, the writing and the directing go haywire. It seems like it would have been a better miniseries - like they just shoved a bunch of crap in to the last hour without much forethought.
  18. Feb 14, 2014
    I think this movie is being very much underrated. While it's true the original Robocop is a better film overall, this new version is definitely worth seeing. It's a beautifully shot, well acted bit of thought provoking Sci-fi.

Just wish that had but a little more dark humor into it.
  19. Feb 13, 2014
    Let,s just start by saying my expectations were really low since 'am a fan from the original trilogy (exept 3rd one that wasn't really good) and I was pretty suprised of how they totally regenerate the franchise^^.Of course, the movie should had been at least an hour longer since they had to ''compress'' the story in a lil less than 2 hours, BUT they give Alex a more ''human side'' than inLet,s just start by saying my expectations were really low since 'am a fan from the original trilogy (exept 3rd one that wasn't really good) and I was pretty suprised of how they totally regenerate the franchise^^.Of course, the movie should had been at least an hour longer since they had to ''compress'' the story in a lil less than 2 hours, BUT they give Alex a more ''human side'' than in the originals, because I remember when i was a kid I always ask myself; why don't he just go see his god d*** family to told them he is still ''alive'' and i was pretty happy that they add this side of his life once he turn a robot..It just make more sense to me.Action side it is full of it, he can finally run/jump, which I find more appealing/appropriate for an advanced rebot like this.The Only down side of this movie is that it's really too short, if they had a bigger budget they could have easily elaborated the story. BUT, since i fugure it's only the first one of a new departure in Robocop movies, I just hope people won't listen to most of the bad ''official reviews'' out there, because they were obviously expecting a remake instead of a ''fresh new start'' for this franchise.I would rate it 8 out of 10 but i put a 10 just to balance the bad reviews out there,that I think they are totally unfair.Great movie, really entertaining, already waiting for the sequel. Expand
  20. Feb 13, 2014
    This movie sucks, not like a rather andriode is a guy with a suit, where is the gore, where are the good battles robocop, Lewis is a guy who dies at 10 min and where are the policies that make seems more an android than human.
    Do not see it, it is a violation of our childhood and our wallets stolen.
  21. Feb 13, 2014
    What an insult to the original, remember the thought provoking original, the brilliant satire, the now iconic costume, and the violence of the original, none of it is here, the CGI is awful, the new suit looks like a lame Batman knock-off, actors like Michael Keaton, Samuel L Jackson, and Gary Oldman, are wasted, and the action is so generic, nothing at all like the original, this justWhat an insult to the original, remember the thought provoking original, the brilliant satire, the now iconic costume, and the violence of the original, none of it is here, the CGI is awful, the new suit looks like a lame Batman knock-off, actors like Michael Keaton, Samuel L Jackson, and Gary Oldman, are wasted, and the action is so generic, nothing at all like the original, this just joins the enormous list of **** Hollywood remakes of classics, that should be left alone. Expand
  22. Feb 15, 2014
    I'm not going to judge it based on the original like most people have
    Pros:
    -Great Acting
    -the Pacing is Excellent
    -Feels just like the original (Almost)
    -Same Premise as the original (kinda)
    -The Dialogue is Good
    Cons:
    -There's some shaky cams here and there
    -There are some Green Screen fails here and there as well
    Recommendation: Everyone BUT the fans of the original
  23. Feb 14, 2014
    This remake makes absolutely no sense. It's confusing, bland and dull. I only gave it a rating of 2 because of the special effects. The story itself is utter nonsense, the plot makes no sense at all and it's so badly acted it's painful to watch this mess. The original is far from perfect with it's cheesy dialogues but it at least is a lot of fun, the storyline is understandable and clear,This remake makes absolutely no sense. It's confusing, bland and dull. I only gave it a rating of 2 because of the special effects. The story itself is utter nonsense, the plot makes no sense at all and it's so badly acted it's painful to watch this mess. The original is far from perfect with it's cheesy dialogues but it at least is a lot of fun, the storyline is understandable and clear, the baddies are well defined and everything that's happening makes sense. The remake is anything but. At first, I've been glad that the new RoboCop wasn't just a re-shooting of the old story, copying it scene after scene. After 30 minutes in, I changed my mind and wanted it to be a perfect one-on-one copy of the old story. Because even the lamest recreation would've been so much more fun to watch than this garbage. Expand
  24. Feb 15, 2014
    A very good action movie with a decent amount of commentary and discussion about the state of the world… I would give a solid 8 to 9 this movie, but I'll give a 10 just to counter-balance the jerks who gave it zero for absolute no reason. Let the original RoboCop stay where it belongs, as an eighties classic and give a chance to this one!
  25. Feb 12, 2014
  26. Feb 13, 2014
    First and foremost: remakes have been apart of cinema for a long time and are not going away. Some are carbon copies, some are re-imaginings and others are influenced but quite different. This film falls into the re-imagining category.

By no means should we accept them, they should be criticized and scrutinized for even being done in the first place, how relevant it is, if it's any good, and does do anything different. Comparing them whilst inevitable isn't always a good idea, i.e. because nostalgia will interfere and therefore affect how we experience the remake. In our minds we will nearly always prefer the previous version as it is more familiar to us and recalls often fond memories. What I'm trying to say is this film should be judged one it's own merits and not be compared to the original.

Pure entertainment. That's all this is. Seriously you can pic this movie apart quite easily. It is not amazing nor is it a giant turd. Is it relevant? The use of the Novac Element TV show in the film (aka Fox News) blatantly presents biased information to promote an agenda. The idea of the USA having imperialistic interests is rather obvious in this world and the real one, but many people do not acknowledge and accept this or is dismiss it entirely. This pretext used to present a future with robots as the tool of an empire is quite clever and is foreseeable.

Unfortunately this premise isn't enough to keep the audience enthralled. We simply sit comfortably and watch what unfolds. We don't really care what happens. Though we realize what to expect as the film proceeds and does become predictable. Could we really expect this film to do anything different? No of course not.

Credit goes to Samuel L. Jackson (or is it Laurence Fishburne? haha) for portraying a charismatic TV host, displaying narcissism and anger in a very believable and entertaining way. Likewise Gary Oldman as a scientist with a heart and having altruistic motives that compromises his values for opportunity and a secure future is very realistic and relateable. Michael Keaton is also noteworthy as the boss of OCP that is determined to find the product for Americans no matter the cost.

I rather enjoyed the special effects and CGI. Production values appeared quite high and I didn't notice anything bad, wrong or cheap. There is one scene that is rather confronting and impressively done mid-way through which made me feel some sympathy; I heard a person or two in the cinema giggle instead (which may be a coping mechanism to such a confrontational moment). It must be said that most of the science present is the Hollywood version of science which convenient fits the narrative is not meant to be taken seriously.

As the film draws to it's conclusion you conceive what will happen and it delivers. No surprises except that Robocops partner has a talent for being shot in non fatal areas. I wouldn't want him as my partner.

Don't expect too much.
  27. Feb 15, 2014
    Peter Weller's "Robocop" dragged through the mud.
    Peter Weller's "Robocop" dragged through the mud.
    It is dreadful to see what you have made ​​of the ingenious template with Peter Weller. Although it has built many good CGI effects and good action scenes, the film disappointed down the line. Robocop himself is really bad embodies, so that you could poke each kipper actor in the suit. All other roles are filled with big names but convince any more. The plot is a joke. Murphy is a robot and he continues to behave like a man. Since it was still credible in the original. There, Murphy broke off contact with the family and was officially dead yet many other points in the film are a disaster but I get upset otherwise too much on. It's a shame what you did from Robocop.
  28. Feb 16, 2014
    Perfectly adequate - yet forgettable. This movie boasts some impressive visual effects and entertaining social commentary, yet never really comes alive through any of its performances. A rather dull climax as well. Perfectly good, yet not destined to be a classic - especially in the shadow of the original 1987 film.
  29. Feb 14, 2014
    It started so well. So good in fact that it had the potential to be one of the best films this year. I was sitting thinking "wow this is gonna be good" when i saw some of the action. 3/4 of the way through....im still thinking "wow this is gonna be good"......and then it ended. The second half took a turn for the worst. To put it simply, the WHOLE of the movie would have been the firstIt started so well. So good in fact that it had the potential to be one of the best films this year. I was sitting thinking "wow this is gonna be good" when i saw some of the action. 3/4 of the way through....im still thinking "wow this is gonna be good"......and then it ended. The second half took a turn for the worst. To put it simply, the WHOLE of the movie would have been the first half if i was directing. Robocop 2014 leaves you waiting for something that never happens. However, i can understand any positive reviews because the action scenes were pretty cool. But for me....imagine your favourite movie ending half way through. It wouldn't be enough, but you would be quite happy with what you did get to see. That's is Robofail 2014. Expand
  30. Feb 12, 2014
    RoboCop PG 13 ? ..... JAJAJA lol NO GORE, NO VIOLENCE NO RoboCop.
    which punctuate this! with more than 5 are children who do not know that 13 is a good movie
  31. Feb 16, 2014
    Went to go see this movie last night, and all I have to say is wow. Great remake of the original Robocop 1987. I'm a long time fan of the first two films back in the day and I wasn't sure if this would live up to the original, but it did and even made a name for its self. It had everything from action, very fast paced and alot of emotion and a very well placed cast. I give it a 10/10 Must See!
  32. X0R
    Feb 16, 2014
    Many reviews so far have trashed the new Robocop remake, I had low expectations going in. This version though is so much better than the dated 1987 cheesy original version, better actors, story is greatly improved and has a realistic believability that Hollywood skips on movies that are targeted at the 15-25 year old age group. Comparing the original versus this remake isn't reallyMany reviews so far have trashed the new Robocop remake, I had low expectations going in. This version though is so much better than the dated 1987 cheesy original version, better actors, story is greatly improved and has a realistic believability that Hollywood skips on movies that are targeted at the 15-25 year old age group. Comparing the original versus this remake isn't really apples-to-apples, the remake has a consistent storyline focus, great acting -- and thankfully, doesn't rely on cliches in the dialogue/script. I understand why people still like the original, but 75% of remakes nowadays are complete junk, this one is actually a gem.

So I can see that if you're a consumer that doesn't have an open mind to a film that has had quality control and careful thought put into it, you'll be insulted by this new version - and if that's the case, you've got more problems than just being disgruntled that you weren't spoon fed the same velveeta cheesedik entertainment that Hollywood generally wants you to consume.
  33. Feb 16, 2014
    Thought it was a very well made remake, adding it's own take to the story and becoming quite a charming movie on its own. Making nods to the original perfectly. There were many parallels towards the original, and showing you new and horrible views on what it really would be like to put someone in a suit like that. Literally stripping him of his humanity at some points. Great stuff. Go inThought it was a very well made remake, adding it's own take to the story and becoming quite a charming movie on its own. Making nods to the original perfectly. There were many parallels towards the original, and showing you new and horrible views on what it really would be like to put someone in a suit like that. Literally stripping him of his humanity at some points. Great stuff. Go in with a positive mind and partially wipe yourself of the older movies. Take your own ride along with the movie. Expand
  34. Feb 17, 2014
    I found this to be a bold new reimagining that made references to the original but was not bound by it. It had great performances all around and it was a fun ride that left me wanting a sequel. I liked Kinneman in the lead role and The suits and effects worked well.

My only gripe would be that there was no central villain that carried the plot. ED 209 is more of a side-note than an actual dangerous adversary. The gun runner that tried to kill Murphy had no real development, and Keaton's character should have be demonized more. That was one of the great things that the original did so well... Bottiker tossing Bobby at the cop car in '84 for example has more villainous development in less than a minute than this film had in 2 hours. I do like how the both the original and this film both offer views of how corporations are thought of in their respective time periods.

It does not matter that this film received the PG-13 rating vs R. Sure they could have splashed more needless gore and violence in there to Verehoven-ize it, but would that have given it any more heart? As an origin piece I found that it worked extremely well, but I hope that Robo has a more cohesive hero story and adversary should a sequel come to light.
  35. Feb 12, 2014
    Definitely not a re-hash of the old Robocop story. Good action flick, but in no way a classic. Action was good, acting was ok, had a good time watching it but nothing really sticks with you.
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    Great cast and great story, can't wait for the sequel. I'll admit that this isn't the original but no remake can ever be. The original robocop is cheesy and looks as dated as a film can but doesn't mean I don't love it. The new movie works on so many levels and the cast is fantastic. This isn't like the constant reboots of other films, it has some heart unlike Robo. Go see it, you'll beGreat cast and great story, can't wait for the sequel. I'll admit that this isn't the original but no remake can ever be. The original robocop is cheesy and looks as dated as a film can but doesn't mean I don't love it. The new movie works on so many levels and the cast is fantastic. This isn't like the constant reboots of other films, it has some heart unlike Robo. Go see it, you'll be entertained. Expand
  37. Mar 16, 2014
    I was so bored during this movie, just as i was bored watching hunger games. I nearly fell asleep and I yawned so many times, I can't even count it. Terrible movie.
  38. Feb 12, 2014
    But it is a wholly different beast from Verhoeven’s bloody, cheesy, insane original. The reboot is played painfully straight, with the only whiffs of humour coming from Jackson’s TV segments and the odd deliberate homage to a one-liner from 1987’s RoboCop. And there’s absolutely no sense that the Detroit of 2028 is a cesspool of crime. Hell, it looks a lot better than the Detroit of 2014.But it is a wholly different beast from Verhoeven’s bloody, cheesy, insane original. The reboot is played painfully straight, with the only whiffs of humour coming from Jackson’s TV segments and the odd deliberate homage to a one-liner from 1987’s RoboCop. And there’s absolutely no sense that the Detroit of 2028 is a cesspool of crime. Hell, it looks a lot better than the Detroit of 2014. (Probably due to much of the movie being shot in Toronto and Vancouver.) Reboots shouldn’t slavishly imitate their predecessors, but what made the original RoboCop so memorable was its violence, its satire, its depiction of this seedy, awful world rotting from within. What we have here is a competent if not exactly memorable sci-fi action movie. A movie that is RoboCop in name only. Expand
  39. Feb 22, 2014
    What a **** Movie compare to the original robocop Movie ,Hollywood dont make remake if it gonna be ****
    instead throw that Money on humans that need Money idiots.
    ithis Movie should never seen the light rip robocop
  40. Feb 18, 2014
    Not bad, but not good either.

The 2014 movie is way too toned down, the original had a lot of senseless violence in a apathic society. That was the fun of it, we had stuff like the magnavolt commercial and the ED-209 boardroom shooting to set the tone. The bits with Samuel L. Jackson try to put a spin this, but it isn't utilized properly. They should have ditched the PG-13 rating to
    Not bad, but not good either.

They should have ditched the PG-13 rating to give this movie the proper tone it needed.

Though i have to admit that the use of updated technologies like tracking cellphones and drone enforcers was pretty nice. Also, the process where Murphy was adapting to his new body was also handled pretty well.

In short, this movie has very little of what made the original great.
  41. Feb 14, 2014
    Better than the 2nd and 3rd movie of Robocop Franchise. The Special effects are very well. The action is satisfactory. The actors accomplished his rolls. The only bad thing is may be some plot hole. But this is really a good movie. I am waiting for a second one.
  42. Feb 13, 2014
    The original RoboCop is an uncommonly smart, as well as entertaining, sci-fi/action movie that explore many different themes with it's biting and sharp satire of the American culture. Although there's a lot to enjoy in this new RoboCop, it doesn't add anything worthy to the original and comes off as an unnecessary remake.
  43. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, not bad. I expected much much worst (like Total Recall). Good concept on the re-imagining of the story, upgraded tech is well done and world is fairly credible.

Story itself has a few holes, biggest one is what's with the right hand??? I get the head, brain, spinal cord, some organs and a life support system, but a right hand not attached to anything? Not credible. It doesn't even serve any purpose in the movie, unless it was a deleted scene. Physiologically speaking, a detached hand connected to a cybernetic forearm would just be a lump unless a very complex attachment for tendons, life support, ... was in said forearm. Which I didn't see.

Anyway, overall good, not great.
  44. May 3, 2014
    This was one of the most insultingly stupid movies I've ever watched. How anyone gave this one a pass, or even more than a score of 3 here, is beyond me, and makes me consider suicide. Let me elaborate.
    I'd like to start off by saying that I saw the movie just now. I did want to go to the cinema to see it, but I decided not to, as I'm not a Robocop fan. But I was excited for it, even more so than my friends who are actual Robocop fans - I liked Robocop's new design, the direction the trailers were showing off... but apperantly, all that had to go do the trash bin. Except the new suit, which was the only good thing in this movie.
    To be frank - the worst thing that happened to this movie, is the Director's vision. His vision was totally wrong, the movie was shot so terribly for an action flick, I don't even know how this dude graduated, if he has even ever considered studying film making. If not, sir Jose Padiha, you need to. A lot. Because what you did to this movie is atrocious. Ugly drama shots, overexposed and too long shots of things that overall do not matter to the plot, no comedy relief in a movie struglling with itself... I have no words to express my anger. How does someone as obviously ungifted as this guy get to direct this big of a movie is simply unexplainable.
    On the acting side we have nothing too - we have almost no one good and fitting. And why is Samuel Jackson there? For a poster name, duh. Joel Kinnaman does a good job as Robocop, though not memorable, he was tolerable and likable. But beyond that - everyone else was absolutely useless.
    Also, the script was extremely weak. I can, on the spot, think up a much better script than what was offered. Not that the original RoboCop had a brilliant one, but it had much more to go for than that.
    I also want to point out, that one of the musical tracks used in this movie is a stolen track from Howard Drossin's OST of Splatterhouse (2009) - it was simply a tad reworked. Even if they did pay for it, it was so obvious that it ruined the whole scene it was used in for me, because not only was it a re-used track, but also the reworked version they used caused the original track to use all of it's appeal.
    And to top it all off - the ending was so stupid, I lack the words to even try and talk about it. Worst ending ever - that's all I can say.
    I didn't enjoy this movie at all. It was one of the worst movies I've ever watched, and I seriously am sorry for all the Robofans out there.
    Just another heap of junk - a pile of ruined potential, courtesy of Hollywood. Also, Jose Padiha - I hope you retire soon, or get actual education. For your own sake.

All in all:

Acting - 2/5 - Not memorable, Samuel Jackson just along for the cash, obviously. Nice Alex Murphy though.
    Directing - 2/5 - the worst thing that could have happened to this movie. It's not bad, it just doesn't go well with the whole concept. Further more - this movie contains the worst ending ever shot. Ever.
    Script - 1/5 - so many missed out opportunites...
    OST - -1/5 - stolen and generic.
    Enjoyment - 0/5 - I did not enjoy a single moment of this movie. It was too long, too dramatic, in conflict with itself and simply terrible.

Overall: 1/5 - terrible CGI-fest of a movie that has no other reason to exist than to cash in on a famous name. The only good thing in it was the new Robocop Suit Design, which I, personally, like.
  45. Feb 17, 2014
    12a/pg 13 bull ****, Hollywood makes more cr*p as it goes and wonders why people pirate there awful movies. This isnt robo cop its just awful generic c*ap with the robo cop wrapper to make it sell.
  46. Feb 21, 2014
    just awful, ridiculous.this movie is an isult to the real Robocop.
    Pg-13 or R it will be the same, this movie is a crap.
    Samule L.Jackson and Michael keaton are very bad actor in this movie, just a good idea, showing Murphy with out is armour.
  47. Feb 16, 2014
    Not as good as the original, as most aren't, but enough changes to keep one entertained. More than an action film. Especially liked the subtle nods to the original as well as Keaton's Batman.
  48. Feb 18, 2014
    If this was the first Robocop film made I would rank it higher, but it doesn't cover any ground the original didn't cover. The graphics and special effects are better, of course, but the bad guys in the original film are much better, and the first film has a grittier, more realistic feel to it. Not a bad film, but unoriginal.
  49. Feb 15, 2014
    I was very sceptical about this movie at first. I also rewatched the old trilogy before going to the theater but after i watched the remake i must say its pretty solid movie. It's okay robocop movie it doesnt have that old Robocop vibe as before but its a good action movie that worth watching. Old batman and Oldman play their roles very well (to be fair i was expecting to see old robocopI was very sceptical about this movie at first. I also rewatched the old trilogy before going to the theater but after i watched the remake i must say its pretty solid movie. It's okay robocop movie it doesnt have that old Robocop vibe as before but its a good action movie that worth watching. Old batman and Oldman play their roles very well (to be fair i was expecting to see old robocop actor as OCP CEO). Robocop actor itself is a pretty okay guy. I doesn't even regret about having Battlefield 4 black guy instead of hist teammate Luis. The armor design is pretty modern(there is a gag about old robocop armor in the movie) and that crappy black suit is not robocops final design. It defenetly worth watching even if you're an old robocop fan. Movie has its problems but overall its solid. Not an instant classic but still solid. Expand
  50. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why is it that remakes must always lose the prime essence of the original movie they are remaking, and displease those who have already seen the original? That's the first thing I thought after a few minutes into this movie.

My 1st impression of this remake was, why the heck was the violence downgraded to PG12 levels? Suicide bombers and children were gunned down, and shot at long distance to avoid seeing any gore. The toning down of violence also means that the subtle message behind them in the original is lost, and has not been properly replaced. I swear you'd think the 1980s version is a work of art if you gave it a try. Given that said bombers were Iranians, in which in the future the US invades Iran, and herds their people out like sheep ala Germany post WW2, I was also a bit frustrated at the use of stereotypes and subtle jingoism. And what has this scene accomplished? Nothing of relevance, given that the movie is centered in the US.

Alex Murphy as a human has only two qualities: cowboy cop and generic loving dad and husband. The problem here is twofold. Joel Kinnaman is a kinetic actor; he must use his entire body to truly act. So ironically, when he is a robot, that we actually see more of the human side of him. To be fare, he is great as Robocop, as his voice clearly reflects how his personality changes from human to robot without the use of voice synthesizers up until he become full robot. His kinetic style also means he is decent acting in an action role. But when it comes to drama, any shot of him showing the face alone just comes out as trying a bit too hard, unless paired with body shots that show body language.

The other problem is that this movie does NOT practice "Show don't tell". It is heavily told that Detroit has a crime problem, it is heavily told and implied that Detroit PD is corrupt, but there is nothing really shown on screen (beyond the pair of corrupt cops, but ANY PD in real life is going to have a few bad apples). The cowboy cop trope only garners sympathy from me if you show me that it is a necessary evil because the system is already corrupt. This also affects the secondary villain (the arms dealer) and how Detroit looks in general (e.g. Alex Murphy lives in a decent suburban neighbourhood fit for the upper middle class, and Detroit PD's offices looks like a corporate office. How is this a sign of criminal hold on the city????)

Anyway after the bombing of Murphy (so impersonal, and the PG12 means that I cannot muster as much hate against the villain compared to the vicious gunning in the 1980s version), he awakes as a cyborg with only his right hand and torso upwards (very powerful scene BTW) surviving. Here, Robocop initially has his humanity intact, with his memories intact and no Prime Directives. However, after disappointing trials, the Dr. (Gary Oldman) tinkered with his brain to create a more efficient robot and subdued the man. This is a contrived 'touch my nose by twisting my arm around' method of achieving the same theme as the original version. Also here's a plot hole: Since OCP wants a product with a human in the machine, why can't they let humans be in the decision-making process when a robot performs the action? Isn't the point of an AI-control to substitute the human element, because humans cannot act faster or smarter than the AI?

The Robocop suit here is more streamlined, though the black is more of a reflection of themes. Notice that when Murphy was in the classic Robocop suit, he was more human, yet the black suit made him very robot. It's like cybernetics "blackens" the soul, makes you less human, or some subtle nonsense like that.

Action scenes in this movie is generally decent, but the scene in which Robocop gets into a gunfight in a dark corridor is very disorienting. When I can't see **** I don't appreciate it, no matter how many times you try to switch between dark, night-vision (worn by the criminals), and thermal-vision (Robocop). After gunning down the arms dealer that bombed him, Robocop found out that the Police Chief was protecting him, and promptly tries to shoot her, after shooting the two corrupt cops, even though ONE of them never tried to shoot back. It's at this point that I felt no sympathy for Murphy, even as, in the next scene, OCP tried to kill him, and he goes on a rampage to kill Michael Keaton. Again, just because you tell me that the city is corrupt, doesn't mean it is justified to act like a jerk.

On a positive note, Samuel L.Jackson as Ted Novak is truly a well-preserved homage to the original media satire of right-wing leaning media bias. I truly left the theater with his performance shining brightly at the back of my mind.

In short, if you've watched the original, this remake may displease you. If you want a popcorn action flick, you may wish to switch your brain off at certain points of the movie due to plot holes, and poorly justified characterisations.
  51. Mar 7, 2014
    While entertaining at times, I still found myself asking why this movie was made. I had watched the original just days before seeing this so that may have made me a little more nit picky. What really makes the original better than this is the villains, the violence and the satire.
  52. Feb 14, 2014
    As my first official 2014 film watched (man January sucks), RoboCop is a really solid effort. The best part of this film is its supporting cast with Keaton, Oldman, and Jackson giving this film its core. B
  53. Feb 13, 2014
    While it's nothing compared to the original, even though the original wasn't that remotely great of a movie, this reboot surprised me by it's cool action sequences and visual style. The flaws I had with this movie is that while most of acting is good, the main character (Joel Kinnaman) never surprised me. I only saw a really cool robocop, not a big and vital character. I enjoyed the otherWhile it's nothing compared to the original, even though the original wasn't that remotely great of a movie, this reboot surprised me by it's cool action sequences and visual style. The flaws I had with this movie is that while most of acting is good, the main character (Joel Kinnaman) never surprised me. I only saw a really cool robocop, not a big and vital character. I enjoyed the other performances such as Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, even Michael Keaton; just to name a few. Other flaws I had was this new origin story of how Alex Murphy becomes robocop. The way he became robocop didn't serve a good purpose to the movie whatsoever. Plus, the villains were wasted. Other than that, I can say that i surprisingly enjoyed this reboot even with its flaws in comparison to the original. It's a good "B" movie, and for that I'll give this a B-! Expand
  54. Feb 12, 2014
    While the remake does step away from majority of the action from the original movie, it builds a better sense on how integrating man with machine could come about and what might be the implementations of that. Reflecting on real world political debates on drones, and the ethnics behind machines. This film is a must watch.
  55. Feb 23, 2014
    What do you get when you strip out the wit, satire, and ultraviolence of Paul Verhoeven's ROBOCOP (1987)? You get this tepid 2014 remake that has no bite and no satire. This new version has nothing new to say and was clearly made by committee. Everything special about ROBOCOP has been removed and what you're left with is a bad version of THE TERMINATOR. It is important to state that theWhat do you get when you strip out the wit, satire, and ultraviolence of Paul Verhoeven's ROBOCOP (1987)? You get this tepid 2014 remake that has no bite and no satire. This new version has nothing new to say and was clearly made by committee. Everything special about ROBOCOP has been removed and what you're left with is a bad version of THE TERMINATOR. It is important to state that the first 10 minutes allude to a new movie with something to say about American global domination but all of that is dropped 20 minutes in and then the film just plods along with cheap sentimentality and obvious anti-corporate ideology. What a waste of a talent like Joel Kinnaman. Get a new agent! Expand
  56. Feb 18, 2014
    Why does Hollywood change old classic movies around? This movie is the worst remake I've ever seen. Lately, it's just not worth spending money on movies. I'm sad, I really want more original films in Hollywood. At least keep the story the same when you remake a film. This is awful.
  57. Feb 14, 2014
    Not a remake it's a sequel. Robocrap . The 1987 Robocop took a dump and this is the end result. Even on it's own merits, it's just another loud action film indistinguishable from the countless others out there.
  58. Feb 13, 2014
    My first review. Oh Boy! Saw this movie last night and it was ok. First, you can not compare this to the original. Same concept, but nearly totally different movie. I am not going to go into what makes the two different. Just watch the movie presents and let it stand on its own.

Frankly, this is just an ok movie. The story is ok. The action is ok. The special effects are ok. If this were a summer movies, don't bother and save your money. But, since this is Feb and not much going on with action movies in the winter, it might be worth $11. They should have added some more humor. It will be interesting if they make a sequel and how they develop the character. They did set a nice base for character development. The acting was very good, esp Gary Oldman. Jackie Haley was pretty decent with his boring character. Joel was ok and likable, but boring and that is how it was written.

Bottom line is it is an ok film and at this time if you like action type movies it is worth your money to see it, but do not expect a fun movie.
  59. Feb 14, 2014
    Movie without soul... very bad ending... i remember old robocop was crappy, but much better than this... Very much idiotic scenes.. Relation father-son is a huge mistake...
    Only good things in this movie were rendering, sound effects and Gary Oldman...
  60. Feb 21, 2014
    Honestly its not very good. You rather watch the original than this. The action is good but aside from that everything else is lazy bland and sloppy. The thing that made the original a classic is the story its R rating giving us a deep story packed with action this one is all action with a bland story and forgettable characters.
  61. Mar 27, 2014
    There are movies that are really awful, movies that makes you laugh even when you don't suppose to, movies that makes you sleep or makes you yell to the person that recommended you that movie...
    Robocop IS NOT that kind of movie, it is really well directed, its special effects are one of the best I've seen, the sound effects are unique and the realism of the pain experienced in dangerous places like the Middle East is outstanding.
    But somehow, I DIDN'T GIVE A **** THE MAIN STORY, the wife's problems, or who was the villain after all... Robocop fails trying to catch the audience attention to the main characters an the actual history.
    This movie deserves a 6/10 ... ... But I give it a 0 because there is some people giving it 10 so I have to balance this **** because I'm a ****
  62. Mar 31, 2014
    I have some words for the movie makers, this movie sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucksI have some words for the movie makers, this movie sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks suck

Thats all, god damn america
  63. Feb 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You don't go in expecting much of a remake of a fairly iconic 80's film. But Robocop 2014 does provide some decent visuals and some good moments from actors Joel Kinnaman as Robo, Michael Keaton as the head of Omnicorp and Gary Oldman as the mad scientist. Some strong secondary characters fill out the cast. The allusions to Frankenstein are many. The awkward emotional family tie in wears thin. The action sequences are few and are somewhat uninspired. The worst parts by far are the Samuel Jackson segments of a mock CNN style political chat show. These become torture as the film plods along and drag the film down. Overall, its a decent ride but somewhere the fun and excitement got sucked out of it. You leave the theater thinking: "That Spiderman 2 trailer before the film was really good!" Expand
  64. May 6, 2014
    I simply don't understand why they made Robocop 2014 the way they did... It's too talky and boring for kids... And it's then also too talky and boring for adults as well!
    I know who they were going for now... people called Reginald who would take a flask of earl grey tea with them to the theator.. "Oooh crivens that robotic fellow jumped very highly indeed."
    For your own good don't

For your own good don't waste your time. They set out to make a completely different take on Robocop which is fair enough, I don't have a problem with that... It's just that it's absolutely crap. Very slow and boring.. The pacing is like watching paint dry and the action is just little random flecks of dust sticking to that paint. Better if you bought the toy and stared at it.
  65. Feb 19, 2014
    It does have some sparks, but ultimately deteriorates into realm of predictability with thick cumbersome political plot. The first half decently tells the origins and human aspect of RoboCop, some of these scenes are well constructed and scripted. Unfortunately, it leaks out interest, trudging into mediocre shoot'em up as it goes. Corporate plot angle is uninspiring, and while the cast isIt does have some sparks, but ultimately deteriorates into realm of predictability with thick cumbersome political plot. The first half decently tells the origins and human aspect of RoboCop, some of these scenes are well constructed and scripted. Unfortunately, it leaks out interest, trudging into mediocre shoot'em up as it goes. Corporate plot angle is uninspiring, and while the cast is robust enough, the movie falls apart as soon as RoboCop leaves assembly line.

Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy, the destined organic material on the machine, does a good performance. The better moments of the movie are how this sturdy rather stubborn detective undergoes life-changing experience, yet still clings to what little humanity he has left. He exhibits vigor and occasional fragility, a compelling story despite the expected human cyborg premise. Gary Oldman as Dr. Dennet Norton, is nothing but superb pick, he seemingly able to become different person in his every persona. As the doctor who's responsible of Murphy's rebirth into more than half machine, he displays much empathy and also pragmatism as his ways aren't always up to moral value he wants.

Donning the role of antagonist is the eccentric entrepreneur, Raymond Sellars played by Michael Keaton. Able to throw money and time just for good advertisement, this man is no villain. In fact, he looks a bit comical at times, surely annoying but works more as commentary of greed than actual threat. Samuel L, Jackson plays a TV persona, Tom Navek, who has a pro machine agenda. He's charismatic, almost in excessive marketing fashion, even though his character is quite unique since he uses monologue aplenty and doesn't interact much with other. With these quirky characters, I can't help but think they wanted to be modern strange authority figures like in Hunger Games, although lacking in sly and wit.

Graphic is good, gadgets appears functional, robots move fluidly and most importantly RoboCop doesn't lumber as if he hasn't been greased for months. The stylistic leaner black tone is admittedly eye-catching, plus it's already a given that superhero reboot always wear dark. Visual clues or indicator effects are good addition to modernize the perspective. Holographic HUD makes the detail sleeker; it's a nice touch and merges well with the action. However, there is one shooting scene in darkness which flickers unreasonably, moment like this is too hectic for their own overly expressive good.

RoboCop starts out decently, the special effects are good replacement for the original's practical ones, cast does satisfactory job, but as it enters the third act it bleeds out like the titular protagonist did. It's by no means a failure, it's merely an average sci-fi movie.
  66. Feb 16, 2014
    Ok so ill keep this quick a simple. Its good but not as good as the original. Its not as bloody (there is hardly any blood but there is some just not buckets). The story i feel is told better however because they really drive home the effect his transfomation has on his family which is a nice touch seeing as how we got to see i the original how it effect him but not so much his family. ButOk so ill keep this quick a simple. Its good but not as good as the original. Its not as bloody (there is hardly any blood but there is some just not buckets). The story i feel is told better however because they really drive home the effect his transfomation has on his family which is a nice touch seeing as how we got to see i the original how it effect him but not so much his family. But also there in lies the problem we get lots of " He's Human He's a Machine " and not enough him being a badass. All in all though its good and i recommend seeing it. Expand
  67. Feb 16, 2014
    This Robocop reboot was well done, not without flaws though! Plot is good (with one exception), casting worked really fine. The weakest point is the main villain! Overall it's an ok sci fi movie, not as good as original
  68. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. boring ass movie. dont bother with this mess of a toy commercial! the action is still with many cut-away shots and in some scenes you cant make out if Robocop actually shot or just stunned someone. the villains are weak and they replaced directive 4 with some called red asset which is actually stupid given how Robocop just powers thru the restriction in the end! Expand
  69. Feb 16, 2014
    The storyline was rather boring. It was cool how they showed Robocop transform throughout the movie. Samuel L Jackson Completely ruined the movie. 6/10
  70. Feb 15, 2014
    Robocop is one of those movies that makes you depressed or sad when the credits begin to roll, because you know they fuc*ked it up. What a mediocre movie. Had so much potential, amazing introduction but failed to deliver anything new or remember able to the audience. Nothing but a boring action movie, with a half hearted storyline.
  71. Feb 21, 2014
    It degrades the classic original with going in depth with tones that are corny and unimportant and they are not what made the original a hit and I have to say masterpiece of sci-fi. Its few action scenes and Samuel Jackson are somewhat interesting and funny, it ultimately is too safe, with too many pedestrian roles, and without gore, which in a movie about a criminal-killing machine, is aIt degrades the classic original with going in depth with tones that are corny and unimportant and they are not what made the original a hit and I have to say masterpiece of sci-fi. Its few action scenes and Samuel Jackson are somewhat interesting and funny, it ultimately is too safe, with too many pedestrian roles, and without gore, which in a movie about a criminal-killing machine, is a little bit of a necessity. Expand
  72. Feb 20, 2014
    Actually a lot better than expected, this is what people would look forward to in a Robocop remake. This is the closest you can get to a good Robocop remake without the completely copying the original. This surprisingly wasn't the CGI mess fans were afraid of. It was less gruesome and gritty than the original, which was personally my favorite part of the original, I didn't even realize theActually a lot better than expected, this is what people would look forward to in a Robocop remake. This is the closest you can get to a good Robocop remake without the completely copying the original. This surprisingly wasn't the CGI mess fans were afraid of. It was less gruesome and gritty than the original, which was personally my favorite part of the original, I didn't even realize the movie was PG-13 till after the movie, I just expected it was R, and that is probably why it lacks the grit. The main actor performs well in his TV series "The Killing" but is somehow puts on a bland performance. I can't even judge the other actors, because anyone who wasn't the lead maybe got 20 minutes of screen time total, with the exception of Gary Oldman's character who put on the best performance in this movie. If you are a fan of the amazing classic, you won't "love" this remake, but you at least won't hate it. Expand
  73. Feb 22, 2014
    Cuando fui a ver RoboCop creía que iba a ser un buena película de acción ya que presenciaba un buen equipo de producción, al director José Padilha director de las dos películas de "Tropa de Elite". Que gran decepción, solamente otro recordatorio de que hasta los más grandes cineastas prefieren el estilo mucho más que la sustancia, hubo partes en la que seguir escuchando esta película fueCuando fui a ver RoboCop creía que iba a ser un buena película de acción ya que presenciaba un buen equipo de producción, al director José Padilha director de las dos películas de "Tropa de Elite". Que gran decepción, solamente otro recordatorio de que hasta los más grandes cineastas prefieren el estilo mucho más que la sustancia, hubo partes en la que seguir escuchando esta película fue totalmente imposible; muy ruidosa; estate tranquilo de taparte los oídos, igual no te perderás de nada que no hayas visto ya en (la genial versión original) de RoboCop del director Paul Verhooven.
    No hace falta ver esta película, solo desperdiciarán un gran tiempo de sus vidas; no cometan el mismo error que yo.
  74. Feb 19, 2014
    Well, once again the critics are bashing a perfectly entertaining and fun movie just because they thought it didn't live up to the original. Who cares! This is still a very fun movie to watch and the action is entertaining from start to finish! I've never heard of Joel Kinnaman, but I thought he did rather well as the titular hero. However, he's almost upstaged by the supporting cast thatWell, once again the critics are bashing a perfectly entertaining and fun movie just because they thought it didn't live up to the original. Who cares! This is still a very fun movie to watch and the action is entertaining from start to finish! I've never heard of Joel Kinnaman, but I thought he did rather well as the titular hero. However, he's almost upstaged by the supporting cast that full of much bigger names, such as Gary Goldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel L. Jackson, Jackie Earl Haley, and even Jay Baruchel! Fortunately, everyone manages to work well together onscreen. To put it simply, the action and visuals are pretty darn cool. The movie never felt like it was dragging and kept me entertained from start to finish. And yeah, just like every great action movie out there, there are some cheesy moments. So obviously, the critics are gonna whine about it as usual. But don't listen to them. This is just a fun popcorn action flick and you'll likely enjoy it just as long as you don't go in expecting more! Expand
  75. Feb 16, 2014
    Very surprised. I thought this was going to be absolutely terrible (mostly due to the PG-13 rating). However, it was really solid throughout, and the action sequences were very exciting, which is a necessity for a RoboCop film. Highly recommended for any fans of the originals
  76. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Impulsive, Horrible acting, and screams childish. RoboCop is a movie for 3 year olds because of fact that a 3 year old can't guess what is about too happen. I was looking forward too see this remake of a classic wonderful movie. Considering the amount of children in the theatre laughing and pointing at the scene of a girl with her bra on. I knew that this movie was only good for immature teens. Although the horrible experience I had, the movie did have a emotional side too it. Which made it a ok movie. I would recommend to see this movie with your child or a friend. Not by yourself. Expand
  77. Feb 18, 2014
    Simply amazing¡¡ the story is a little bit different from the original one but the idea was good in every single aspect , i give it a 10 because it deserved it and i was a waiting for a really good remake of this movie I've always been a huge fan since i was a little kid, there definitely has to be a precuel.
  78. Feb 18, 2014
    I went into this expecting it to flop, because most remakes do. I was impressed that it didn't flop. I'm glad it didn't, having a good cast is a big part of movies. it wont make a movie, but it can certainly break one (not having a good cast). the story was believable, it was fairly well grounded, the few moments of "FPS mode" were a bit much, but overall it was a good movie that's worthI went into this expecting it to flop, because most remakes do. I was impressed that it didn't flop. I'm glad it didn't, having a good cast is a big part of movies. it wont make a movie, but it can certainly break one (not having a good cast). the story was believable, it was fairly well grounded, the few moments of "FPS mode" were a bit much, but overall it was a good movie that's worth watching (not for 20 bucks, though. ill say ten bucks, maybe five). I do not like how they skimmed over the whole idea of the city being rampant with crime. all we saw was a criminal with a warrant, an insanely long list of people with warrants, one crime boss and two corrupt cops, and a semi-corrupt police chief. so the criminal element was lacking a bit. if this was going to be worth anything at all, it definitely would not be stellar. and that's what it was: worth watching, but not a stellar movie. Still outdid Desolation of Smaug any day of the week. i read the Hobbit book, and i was pissed about the movie(s) Expand
  79. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When this movie was in production i made the prediction that it would be like the transformer movies, beautiful to behold but totally without a soul and boy did it deliver on that. It had none of what made the original a classic. The pg13 rating to the beat with a hammer into your head political message(which needs to stop i watch movies to be entertained not to be preached at) this movie fails in almost every category except how stereotypically bad sequels usually are. Everybody involved should be stripped naked taped to chairs and forced to watch the original while being cattle prodded till they see the light. But yea the movie was bad 1 outta 10 Expand
  80. Feb 20, 2014
    After a Detroit cop (Joel Kinnaman) is severely injured, a tech company puts him a mostly mechanical suit to change the "face" of the police force. I remember the original 1987 movie as being pretty cool. This version does have some very cool future tech, but that's about it. There's too much debate about ethical merits and other political/moral crap and not nearly enough ass-kicking. WhatAfter a Detroit cop (Joel Kinnaman) is severely injured, a tech company puts him a mostly mechanical suit to change the "face" of the police force. I remember the original 1987 movie as being pretty cool. This version does have some very cool future tech, but that's about it. There's too much debate about ethical merits and other political/moral crap and not nearly enough ass-kicking. What action there is lacks focus or any inventive staging. Kinnaman (you might know him from "The Killing") plays it very serious and the supporting cast is equally earnest. The opening sequence in Tehran and the introduction of the robot equipment creates a promising start, but the movie bogs down in needless chatter and dull drama. Expand
  81. Feb 20, 2014
    I was open minded as I possibly could be going into this yet try as I might, nothing can escape the fact that this is a solidly made remake that lacks anything to really make you go 'wow'. Good visual effects and ideas, along with a great support cast counts for nothing when you cannot empathise with such a dull lead actor giving such a predictable performance. In the end I thought as aI was open minded as I possibly could be going into this yet try as I might, nothing can escape the fact that this is a solidly made remake that lacks anything to really make you go 'wow'. Good visual effects and ideas, along with a great support cast counts for nothing when you cannot empathise with such a dull lead actor giving such a predictable performance. In the end I thought as a remake it could've been worse but as always, it could've been and should've been so much better. Expand
  82. Jun 5, 2014
    The worst thing about this movie, is the editing! it does NOT flow, it hard too watch. 2nd, the director is awful as well. the movie half way through is alright, but then its garbage! so sad! Makes the orginal look like a classic!
  83. Mar 29, 2014
    Surprising decent remake that could have been a disaster.

Pros: Great action, great acting from Jackson, Oldman and Keaton. Went a different route than the original which is nice. Actual had a good story going on Cons: Serviceable performance at best from Kinnamen as Robocop. Other than Keaton villains were not good. Felt fairly brief and rushed at some points. Overall I enjoyed
    Surprising decent remake that could have been a disaster.

Overall I enjoyed Robocop and I would suggest that if you're interested to check it out at some point.
  84. May 8, 2014
    While it may not have a lot of action, The plot is actually pretty good and it's very well acted with a highly experienced cast. It's definitely worth watching and I'd highly recommend it. It's one of few remakes that actually lives up to the hype.
  85. Jul 26, 2014
    Very average movie, hoped with modern special effects this update would be more epic then I remembered the first being. I was very disappointed with the overall movie, it just wasn't very entertaining.
  86. Mar 18, 2014
    UNDERRATED. This movie has great acting, cast, and direction by José Padilha. It gives a middle finger to the American way of life SECURITY/FREEDOM. Don't let fanboys and comparison fool you. It's rare to see an action, teen appealing movie with this strong message.
  87. Mar 3, 2014
    Is this another reboot which is worse than the original? Categorically yes. The original Robocop is a biting satire of its time, projecting corporate greed and industry run amok into the future.
    The new robocop is about something. I guess there is supposed to be some kind of issue at what point do people loose their humanity and just become machines. Somewhere it went wrong though because its execution makes for a forgettable if not outright bad flick. But this is a flick.
    Gary Oldman gives a terrific performance, and Michael Keaton goes above and beyond as the visionary CEO of OCP. He's far too likable for the 3rd act radical twist. It actually seems out of character for both the actor and the character when that happens.
    I'd say the 3rd act twist is so poorly executed audiences will wonder why Robocop is turning on his masters so suddenly. Although admittedly the special effects extravaganza which follows is quite the thing to see.
    I appreciate they wanted to appeal to wider audiences, and thus went for a PG 13 rating but that was clearly a mistake. It leaves the fight scenes too sanitized to have any real impact.
    And as much as Samuel L. Jackson is a terrific charismatic actor, it was a mistake for all the news scenes to be by him. In the original film the brief news clip bits effectively portray the world in a subtly bias, and comedic way. Samuel L. Jackson portraying an amalgamation of right wing news pundits is monstrous, yet less effective because it is coming from such a clearly bias source. And you really feel it is less a news show and more an lazy narration directed at the viewer.
    The character of the wife is one note. Maybe she should be more panicked in one scene, more concerned in another. Instead of a generic sad emotional mess.
    All and all. Don't pay top dollar for this film when it comes out on DVD. It'll be in the $5 or less bin soon enough.
  88. Feb 23, 2014
    At first I must say that the movie turned out rather different than I expected. I thought it would be a straightforward action movie with a lot of gunfinghts and explosions, but this time the remake focused on some other things, it was more about the the ethic problems of man/machine beings and people's attitude to them. Also the movie is more story-based than action/visual-effects-based,At first I must say that the movie turned out rather different than I expected. I thought it would be a straightforward action movie with a lot of gunfinghts and explosions, but this time the remake focused on some other things, it was more about the the ethic problems of man/machine beings and people's attitude to them. Also the movie is more story-based than action/visual-effects-based, and the story is somehow twisted, so I could say that the story is decent. The major advantage of the movie is outstanding performance by great actors, I must mention Michael Keaton, Jackie Earle Haley, Samuel L. Jackson and of course Gary Oldman, they all made a great job and created convincing characters. Joel Kinnaman as Robocop was actually okay, though I'd wait for someone more famous for this role (just considering the other actors). I liked the movie, but it was not what I expected, so my score is not that high, BUT I can advise to watch this movie to everyone, because it's decent. Expand
  89. Feb 23, 2014
    I enjoyed this film, but I did not see the original version. I thought Joel Kinnaman and Gary Oldman gave very interesting performances, and I liked Michael Keaton a lot too. Although the theme is interesting and what happens to the hero pretty weird, the believability of Kinnaman, Oldman, and Keaton were what made the film work for me.
  90. Jun 29, 2014
    Okay, so I finally sat down and watched the new Robocop and it was a waste of time. First, I love the original Robocop and it's first sequel, but I couldn't let those two facts play into my viewing of this movie. I wanted to take it on it's own merit. It starts off alright we see the US in Iran with drones, one of them being ED-209 from the original, we get some decent action topped offOkay, so I finally sat down and watched the new Robocop and it was a waste of time. First, I love the original Robocop and it's first sequel, but I couldn't let those two facts play into my viewing of this movie. I wanted to take it on it's own merit. It starts off alright we see the US in Iran with drones, one of them being ED-209 from the original, we get some decent action topped off with what's supposed to be a shock moment then we move into Detroit. This is where the movie begins to fall apart for me. The big argument as to why they need a Robocop is because Detroit is plagued by crime, yet in the scenes of Detroit they show us the city looks like it's doing great. The sun is always shining, there's no visible urban decay, we get no shots of random crimes or violence. The most we get is a scene where we're introduced to Alex Murphy and his partner undercover buying rifles from some guy. Hell, the film crew could've just drove around real life Detroit and captured all the decay and violence they needed without having to resort to sets. Everything just seemed too clean and okay, that also goes for the police station Alex worked in. For a city laid to waste by crime the police station seems quite enough to be a station in Podunk, Iowa. There were no shots of other officers bringing in gang members or hookers, there were no citizens damanding the police do something about the crime in their neighborhoods. Again, Detroit just seem like an ideal place to live in this movie, thus eliminating the need for Robocop. As for the actors in this movie only Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton are worth mentioning. The guy playing Murphy is bad, his wife and child are horrible actors, if we can't connect to Murphy then we're just watching a tin man ride around and pout. And yes I said pout, Robo seems to do a lot of that in this movie. I get it being turned into a machine would suck for some people, but you're a cop who's just been turned into a superhero, you're not confined to a wheelchair or stuck in a bed for the rest of your life. Robo cries about this to and beyond the point of annoyance add together the scenes of awkward interaction with his dull family and you'll be letting out tons of yawns. The supporting cast outside of Oldman and Keaton are 100% forgettable, aside from knowing Murphy's partners name none of these characters stick in your head. Now on to the effects, while good for the most part some shots made me feel like I should have been pressing "A" to skip. Since this is the future we have to see people using float screens and being able to control and manipulate them by waving their hands. There are humanoid drones who react better than humans and every aspect of life seems to be captured by CCTV cameras. It was hard to suspense disbelief since they only set this movie in 2028. It would be a little more believeable if it was set in say 2050 or higher. And since cameras are everywhere doesn't it seem difficult to pull off crimes if you're being watched in nearly every place you're in, thus eliminating the need for Robocop. Just watch what people are doing on the cameras and send police to the scene since you're watching a crime in progress. Also we're shown this exoskeleton worn by military to help on the battlefield, I'm assuming it makes you a little faster and stronger so why didn't they just take that put some light armor plating on it and give it to the police? Thus eliminating the need for Robocop since you can give officers the gear to make them stronger and tougher than the criminals. Robocop almost doesn't make sense in his own world in this movie, if you wanted to put a machine on the streets of America so your evil company can make more money you've already proven you can make the exoskeleton, so why make Robocop and go through all the hassles. The story is dull and predictable too since a multi-billion dollar company is involved you know they're going to be the final bad guy, it just takes so long for the movie to get to the point where Robo brings down said company your just glad it's over. And that's how I felt once the credits started I was glad it was over. This could've been a good action movie, but there's so many boring scenes and even the action scenes seem tame. Like something pulled from a video game cutscene. As it stands on it's own Robocop 2014 is dull and boring, as part of the Robocop line it's worse than Robocop 3. At least that movie is so bad it'll have you laughing. Expand
  91. Mar 30, 2014
    Put the original classic out of your mind and just watch this reboot for what it is and you might see all the good qualities it has. It brings fresh new angles to the story and a different understanding of the main character Murphy/robocop. Action and effects were solid as well. If I had one thing to pick that they could have done different it would have been to make villain a littlePut the original classic out of your mind and just watch this reboot for what it is and you might see all the good qualities it has. It brings fresh new angles to the story and a different understanding of the main character Murphy/robocop. Action and effects were solid as well. If I had one thing to pick that they could have done different it would have been to make villain a little more ruthless and sinister. Expand
  92. Feb 16, 2014
    I was quite pleasantly surprised! I expected it to be crap, especially judging from the movie trailers.

While not brilliant, Robocop Delivers! Well worth the watch! A ton better than a LOT of other recent movies.
  93. Feb 21, 2014
    Cara o diretor escolheu um filme CULT para fazer refilmagem, ele ficou louco !!! Mas mesmo assim ficou uma obra única ! Confesso que fiquei chateado com algumas senas que parecia que o RoboCop fosse mais violento mas a produtora queria faixa etária baixa ele não pode colocar essa cenas. Gostei quando ele viu oque sobrou do corpo real e pediu a morte melhor cena. Não superou ,mas nãoCara o diretor escolheu um filme CULT para fazer refilmagem, ele ficou louco !!! Mas mesmo assim ficou uma obra única ! Confesso que fiquei chateado com algumas senas que parecia que o RoboCop fosse mais violento mas a produtora queria faixa etária baixa ele não pode colocar essa cenas. Gostei quando ele viu oque sobrou do corpo real e pediu a morte melhor cena. Não superou ,mas não desapontou em quase nada. Valeu Pelo diretor Brasileiro José Padilha !!!!!! Expand
  94. Mar 3, 2014
    I didn't watch the original RoboCop, but I really like this movie the actors made an amazing job, the casting is very impressive..., there is good action scenes and special effects are awesome, there is some problem with the cams and the people who watched the first movie says that the original is better, but this movie is amazing too, José Padilha made a great job.
  95. PHJ
    Feb 25, 2014
    Quircky but okay Movie

The new Robocop is a nice movie, it have a start, a midle and an end and follows correcly the history, it put's you in the reality of Alex Murphy (the Robocop) and into the near future witch the movie passes. The strong points is in how everything happens and connect, the acident, the need of someone to be Robocop, the movie works well, witch drops you into the
    Quircky but okay Movie

The strong points is in how everything happens and connect, the acident, the need of someone to be Robocop, the movie works well, witch drops you into the movie and hold your attention from the begining to the end.

The weak point is some action scenes, witch doesn't have a nice camera angle game, so sometimes you loose your self and can't follow nicely the action scenes (witch is something important on Robocop), you don't know who is firing, who is dying, this spoiler some action scenes. Another week point is that the movie have some unnecessary scenes, nothing like sexual context or something like this, some scenes only could never exists, some scenes don't add anthing to the movie.

VEREDICT

Robocop can hold you from the begining to the end, puts you into the history of the movie and contextualizates you into the near future context of the movie, witch is nice. The movie disappoint in some action scenes, you really don't know what is happening, the camera switchs is terrible in the action scenes. Is a nice movie, has it problems, but is a clear 70 out 100 movie.
  96. Feb 26, 2014
    I enjoyed the robotic themes contained in this film, but it certainly does not capture the feel or spirit of the original. The best thing going for it is that they did not attempt to make the same plot again. Gary Oldman is the highlight, Samuel L. Jackson is the boring shoe-horn to try to make this movies seem like a critique of society. Ultimately, just another mediocre remake.
  97. Apr 30, 2014
    New robocop tries to be badass and it just isn't. It's a kiddy movie re-make. Playing the theme music is just insulting. You know what's badass, blood and guts flying everywhere, like the original. The shaky cam, especially in the beginning, is really annoying. At least Gary Oldman gave a good performance. And why was Samuel L. Jackson there? Having him in a movie doesn't instantly make itNew robocop tries to be badass and it just isn't. It's a kiddy movie re-make. Playing the theme music is just insulting. You know what's badass, blood and guts flying everywhere, like the original. The shaky cam, especially in the beginning, is really annoying. At least Gary Oldman gave a good performance. And why was Samuel L. Jackson there? Having him in a movie doesn't instantly make it badass. So what's next? Kiddy scarface, kiddy pulp fiction maybe? Expand
  98. May 15, 2014
    Although a solid reboot with nice effects, movie is very predictable and lacks thrills the original had. Just another generic blockbuster flick than leaves you in the middle of the road to catch a ride back home.
  99. May 16, 2014
    This is not a bad movie per se, but Robocop fails to leave a lasting impression. The cast is strong; Joel Kinnaman has a good bit of presence on screen, but playing a character defined by his robotic, in-human qualities is hardly a task any actor would relish. Keaton and Oldman are fine, as is Abby Cornish in a pretty thankless role as the put-upon wife. The story never really engages, andThis is not a bad movie per se, but Robocop fails to leave a lasting impression. The cast is strong; Joel Kinnaman has a good bit of presence on screen, but playing a character defined by his robotic, in-human qualities is hardly a task any actor would relish. Keaton and Oldman are fine, as is Abby Cornish in a pretty thankless role as the put-upon wife. The story never really engages, and for all it's puffed-up social commentary, it struggles to drive home its point. Expand
  100. Jul 22, 2014
    Pretty, yet hollow.
    Great CGI and action. Nothing to complain about, yet why spend all that money on a reboot that offers nothing new to the story? The tech and the action are all light years above the previous iteration, and from a superficial viewpoint it contains so many pretty gizmos that all but the most ADHD prone will remain attentive.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Feb 14, 2014
    It's well made, polished, and hits every mark — but is it crazy to want a futuristic sci-fi action flick about a motorcycle-riding metal supercop to be just a little more fun?
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Travers
    Feb 14, 2014
    Brazilian director José Padilha (Elite Squad, Bus 174) soldiers on stolidly, but lacks the Dutch Verheoeven's abiding sense of mischief.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Feb 13, 2014
    Neither Alex Murphy’s internal moral conflict nor the larger, vaguely satiric portrait of a global culture dependent on high-tech law enforcement seem to be the main point of this Robocop remake, which raises the question of what is meant to be the point.