8.3

1. Oct 7, 2011
    I am supremely impressed. not by the fact that it avoid the typical inept 80's action movie stereotypes, but by the entire film. It's epic, it's grand, it's just so goddamn amazing. One would expect less, but when that one person decides to see this, they will be smiten and ashamed as to their thoughts of the movie prior.
  2. Oct 30, 2012
    The "critic" that gave this film a 5/10 is probably mentally-ill. This film is amazing. It's stylish, brutal, witty, and oh, so satisfying. The best action flick of the 80's in my opinion.
  3. Jul 20, 2013
    A violent, vicious, and prescient satire of urban decay, privatization, idiotic consumer culture, and corporate greed, RoboCop delivers a visceral kick to the gut and a jolt of rude awakening to the oblivious.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    It's pretty excessively and unreasonably violent, but it's also a pretty engaging revenge flick.
  5. Jan 6, 2014
    Robocop may not have much depth but it is pretty entertaining. The comic book feel of the movie will have some appeal to viewers. Also, Robocop himself is a feat to behold with his awesome personality and design. There is also some nice cinematography. This is not a great movie but it is still pretty entertaining. This movie has a fan base and it is obvious why. Robocop is pretty cool. This movie takes something kind of silly and cheesy and makes it cool. Check it out if you get a chance. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2011
    A film that works on two levels; there is the ultraviolent science fiction action movie first, but lurking beneath the surface there is a brilliant and often hilarious satire. Special effects deserve a special mention; Rob Bottin's work, especially on Murphy's head (with the RoboCop helmet removed) still look amazing.
  7. Jan 12, 2014
    It's pretty fitting that I write down a review for RoboCop a month away from the release of the remake.

This movie was always about the way society had been (and some would say still is) on a downward spiral, with interest in hyperviolence, endless consumerism and corporate greed destroying normal family lives.
    And that's the charm with the RoboCop movie, it sits you down and shows you
    the exact thing you want, but not in a good light. The idea of ED209 gunning a man to death may simply entertain the younger mindset for the gore, but with older people we can see a parallel with vampant police brutality and a failure to police that side of the law.
    While this movie will never be lauded as a cinematic milestone in the areas of acting, directing or producing, it is and forever will be a cultural megahit that - hopefully - will not be lost to the new generation when this PG-13 version comes out.
  8. Nov 29, 2012
    It's a shame that this movie wasn't done better because there's a lot of potential with the story to have been great. But unfortunately this movie was done in the 1980's which means you're stuck with cheesy, over-the-top acting, mediocre effects (though I'm sure they were at least decent when the film was made), and the same piss poor directing that plagued so many films in the era. I think there's a lot of potential to the story and the human element and internal conflict of the RoboCop/Murphy character but the film largely skims right past most of that focusing more on needless side clips of a setting that was never established or non-critical villains. I'm interested to see the reboot version and hoping they go the direction so many other films in this generation of action movies have gone... dark, realistic, and gritty. If you gave this concept to Christopher Nolan, you'd have an amazing movie. Hopefully the reboot can be everything the original was not. Now it sounds like I'm being really hard on the movie and yet I gave it a 7/10 so what gives? Well, it was still a good movie, even with all the minor negatives, because the story has so much potential and even with the poor execution it manages to pull you in. Expand
  9. Aug 19, 2012
    In 2012, RoboCop is hilariously dated but still a great action movie from start to finish. One of the finest examples of action movie greatness with a story that is, surprisingly, good. A timeless classic! A must see for all action movie fans!
  10. Oct 17, 2012
    So Robocop 2013 is a Cylon? No wait its Cyclops's new costume? No I got it, its Batman meets Cyclops from Battlestar Galactica? What the F@#K is this **** Dear Hollywood if you cant come up with an original idea for a movie you shouldn't be allowed to make a movie period! Remakes aren't what the people need! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remake-Movies-is-Killing-Hollywood/361119783969397
  11. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie is absolutely incredible! The best sci-fi, action, thriller, drama, crime movie ever! It is full of gore, action and thrills. It is one of the most entertaining and fun movies ever made. RoboCop is the best!
  12. May 25, 2014
    After watching the new RoboCop and seeing how bad it was i thought id give the original another try. Its been years since the last time i watched the movie but i remember that it was totally kickass. Just like i remember i loved the movie right from the beginning this like many other 80's and 90's action movies feels more raw and real rather then the action movies we have now. There is no comparing this to the new RoboCop movie as this movie is hands down miles better then its remake even Peter Weller as RoboCop/Murphy was better then Joel Kinnaman and hewas the best part of that of the remake. The action is great and a bit brutal which i thought was awesome even though some of the action scenes were stop motion/go motion but i found those parts to be funny. Though with the remastered Blu ray version that was just released last month the whole movie looks absolutely amazing if you are going to be watching this movie anytime soon id recommend watching that version you wont regret it.

Overall i give it a 8.0 also Kurtwood Smith as the villain was just too funny but he did a great job.
  13. Feb 21, 2014
    An astute sci-fi satire about corporate and capitalistic greed, corruption, crime, dystopia, humanity, and it even dares to cross the border of adding totalitarian undertones to the social allegory of the film, 'Robocop' defies the archetypal 80's sci-fi, by making us all realize our humanity and how it works and what it does to us. The urban decay predicted in this film actually occurred: to this day the Detroit bankruptcy is the largest municipal bankruptcy filing in U.S. history, and this film was spot on. Though it was merely a coincidence. 'Robocop' is smart, ultraviolent, and a perfect satirical allegory to our American society and culture. Expand
  14. Mar 29, 2014
    This was supposed to be a film destined to Class B, but people now a days and since its premiere the Legendary looks, and I do not disagree, it is.
    Hail, Paul Verhoeven!
  15. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    RoboCop was an interesting original film. I didn't see any of Peter Weller or Nancy Allen's other films until I saw this, and I was quite surprised that they were good actors.
  16. Jul 11, 2014
    Brilliant. Sums up the 80's action genre in one film. Fantastic plot, amazing soundtrack, great action choreography. And a random, excessive, but exciting level of violence. This film will force you to your couch in an exhilarating turn of events. Then you go to sleep at the end of the film and have one thought. Wow.

1. Great effects and a nasty undercurrent drive this vehicle.
  2. Reviewed by: Pat Graham
    There's a brooding, agonized quality to the violence that almost seems subversive, as if Verhoeven were both appalled and fascinated by his complicity in the toxic action rot.
    Robocop is a thriller with a difference.