Robots

7.4

1. Jan 9, 2011
    It wasn't funny to me. I was so bored.
  2. Feb 11, 2012
    It was weird and fake and too silly. So horrid, I almost puked. Completely ridden with overused cliches, there were at most three times where I laughed, one of which was due to how ludicrous the plot was. Honestly only enjoyable to the extremely young.
  3. timc
    Jul 2, 2005
    Some stars must be given to the artistic effort of the visuals, but this movie's greatest weakness is severe indeed. The lat 1/3 runs like the typical Hollywood formulae smash-em-up and is loud, obnoxious, and dull. Hollywood thinks loud, violent action is the way to end all movies, God I'm so tired of that. Don't waste your time like me and my girlfriend did.
  4. AriN.
    May 10, 2007
    It was weird and fake and to silly.
  5. GuyNoir
    Mar 10, 2005
    So horrid, I almost puked.
  6. PatP
    Mar 11, 2005
  7. liz
    Mar 14, 2005
    Do not see this movie! SO many dacing, dumb potty jokes, awsome animation i say it was made to show off on its animation, i poohs hefflump movie better then this, if you want a good movie go rent ice age.
  8. K-Dog
    Mar 14, 2005
    Looks ok visually, nothing stunning. The real problem is that it just isn't funny.
  9. RedS
    Mar 19, 2005
    A loud and colorful parade of recycled cliches, complete with one-dimensional characters that either don't develop at all because they're evil, or "overcome their difficulties and reach their goals" because - you've guessed it - they're good. A waste of technology, talent, and your time.
  10. MGraz
    Mar 19, 2005
    When I first saw the trailer for this movie I was willing to give it a fair shot... then I saw "professional" reviews claiming it was better than The Incredibles. This movie is utterly devoid of anything approaching "original." The plot has been done a hundred times... good guy's utopia gets perverted by bad guy until underdog-hero talks sense into good guy and both overthrow bad When I first saw the trailer for this movie I was willing to give it a fair shot... then I saw "professional" reviews claiming it was better than The Incredibles. This movie is utterly devoid of anything approaching "original." The plot has been done a hundred times... good guy's utopia gets perverted by bad guy until underdog-hero talks sense into good guy and both overthrow bad guy. As for the animation... making robots seem life-like isn't very impressive... I've seen more "life" from Anime robots a decade ago. There was little humor to this movie apart from the most obvious sight and sound gags... even the "adult" jokes seemed forced and out of place. The only reason I'm not giving this movie a "1" is the man-hours that went into making it. At best, rent this when it comes out... don't buy it and certainly don't pay to see it. Collapse
  11. UsagiY.
    Mar 26, 2005
    A nice retelling of Shrek with Robots.
  12. FayM.
    Apr 11, 2005
    This move did not live up to its trailer. It was a boring story line, it was not funny in the slightest, a lot of went over my 8 year olds head. The story was not original, the Incredibles was a far more superior movie. Certainly felt for the first time "what a waste of money to see a movie".
  13. MarkB.
    Apr 14, 2005
    Which way you going, Blue Sky? The third of the "Big Three" corporate computer animation conglomerates, the Chris Wedge-led company got off to a nice start a couple of years ago with Ice Age, a very pleasing blend of state-of-the-art visuals and--with such elements as (partially) human-friendly wild beasts, the early death of a mother figure and the improbable but hugely satisfying return Which way you going, Blue Sky? The third of the "Big Three" corporate computer animation conglomerates, the Chris Wedge-led company got off to a nice start a couple of years ago with Ice Age, a very pleasing blend of state-of-the-art visuals and--with such elements as (partially) human-friendly wild beasts, the early death of a mother figure and the improbable but hugely satisfying return of a "dead"' character--old-school Disney. Robots, their followup, had a choice: it could've followed in the huge footsteps of Pixar (devising a fully-imagined, completely believable alternate universe: the city of Monstropolis, under the sea or inside a kid's bedroom--populating it with singularly appealing, unforgettable characters and THEN adding great comedy) or it coud've gone the Dreamworks route (the Shrek films and particularly Shark Tale, which use environment and atmosphere mostly as hooks on which to hang a series of hit-or-miss gags). Sadly, it went to the dark side, and as a result Robots goes over like a lead balloon. It's a near-complete disaster in every category, starting with the shockingly nondescript vocal characterizations: it's impossible to imagine anyone other than John Goodman as Pixar's Sully the monster or Ellen DeGeneres as Dory the fish, but Ewan Macgregor, Halle Berry, Greg Kinnear and most of the rest of the cast are so bland and indistinctive that I can't imagine why 20th Century Fox bothered to shell out the big bucks to hire them when I have any number of neighbors and coworkers who could've done the job at least as well for much less! (And before you bring up Robin Williams as an exception, I challenge you to view this and Disney's Aladdin back to back and see if you don't agree that, unlike his truly wild and inspired Genie, Williams comes across here as muzzled and tranquilized.) The production and character design are clearly very self-satisfied but a metallic eyesore--all the robots with the possible exception of little Widget (voiced by Wedge) are astonishingly unattractive, and I can't imagine a 3-year-old taking a replica of one of them to bed without getting nightmares. The script, cowritten by yockmeisters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel (who shouldn't be trusted with anything not involving baseball or that Ron Howard or Billy Crystal have a hand in--and even that, as anyone who's seen Father's Day can attest--is no guarantee) goes for the lowest, cheapest and most obvious pop-culture schtick at every turn--when it's not indulging in fart jokes, that is. (And incidentally, when robots do break wind, wouldn't they...uh...you know, clank? And why sign on Mel Brooks if you're going to have a flatulence scene and not involve him in it?) The big set pieces make no sense whatsoever even on their own terms: upsetting a long line of elaborately positioned dominoes is only impressive if you do it live; animating it completely defeats the purpose. For cryin' out loud, even the short subject, a cartoon featuring Ice Ages's neurotic, acorn-obsessed critter Scrat, is a rip-off! No doubt I'm coming across as more than a little harsh and nasty about a film that a lot of hard work obviously went into, but to stretch the mechanical analogy a tad more, all I can say is that a lot of hard work went into the Edsel, too. Expand
  14. JakoWako
    Apr 21, 2005
    Just a loud, boring, insufferable piece of s... An utter waste of time. Don't bother.

1. If sheer cleverness were everything, Robots would be the best computer-animated cartoon yet…Yet, unlike the very best CG animation, Robots doesn't quite connect with the emotions and humor for which one yearns in cartoons.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Robots goes for a color scheme that is cool, muted, instantly aged. Director Chris Wedge wants the eye to concentrate on the gags he and his writers (including veteran comedy craftsmen Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel) have stuffed into the film.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    It's meant as high praise to say that, very early in Robots, the extraordinary starts to seem perfectly ordinary.