7.1

1. stanleyh.
    Oct 27, 2005
    Very good movie,hope in future thier is more.
  2. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Robots is my best favorite movie I ever watched. It's filled with excitement, spectacular real-life animation, fun, humor, romance, danger, and good music. Expand
  3. WesE.
    Nov 6, 2005
    It's good at first, but by the midway point of it's slightly overdrawn conclusion, Robots delves into a virtual cornocopia of childish stupid. No matter what talent was put into the pleasing visual/aural achievement (it's the best looking animated film to date), it doesn't quite compensate for a story this immature and goody-goody.
  4. Nov 4, 2011
    Parts Of This Movie Are Genuis And Laugh Out Loud Funny... But Some Arent. Somtimes I Fell There IS NO CREATIVITY WHATSOEVER.... Because It's "Robots"...
    This Isent A Bad Movie... Im Just Stumped On How To Score It...
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    It wasn't funny to me. I was so bored.
  6. Hellboy
    May 3, 2005
    Man This Waz One Of The Funniest Movies Ive Ever Seen U Have To See This Movie One Of The Greates This Year So Funny OMG WELL SEE THIS MOVIE ITS FUNNY AS HELL.
  7. IlzeS.
    Aug 6, 2005
    Movie was funny.
  8. PatC.
    Mar 14, 2005
    Oh geez, I don't know. It's so average I feel open to ridicule for expressing any like or dislike. The plot is totally predictable formula sewage, but harmless to the infantile. The application of concept and talented voices to hypothetical live robots results in some clever & almost memorable moments. The pace is crisp and fast, but blink and you'll miss the cleverest Oh geez, I don't know. It's so average I feel open to ridicule for expressing any like or dislike. The plot is totally predictable formula sewage, but harmless to the infantile. The application of concept and talented voices to hypothetical live robots results in some clever & almost memorable moments. The pace is crisp and fast, but blink and you'll miss the cleverest stuff in the movie (watch for the male & female restrooms). lt's almost like the fimmakers are thinking, "We love our little concept film, but we're being forced to pass off so much crap in it we're going to move it by you real fast and hope you don't notice." One thing's for sure: Unlike the better Pixar flicks, this one lacks breadth of perspective. Expand
  9. LuisV
    Mar 17, 2005
    It was really funny and not stupid like shrek
  10. ChadS.
    Jun 1, 2005
    What's makes Pixar great is that they assume people are intelligent. A film like "The Incredibles" works on two levels; as a visual wonderland for small children, and as sophisticated social commentary for adults. "Robots" is great to look at; something that can't be said about the recent "Madagascar". But damnit, the robots talk (I'd rather hear a collection of What's makes Pixar great is that they assume people are intelligent. A film like "The Incredibles" works on two levels; as a visual wonderland for small children, and as sophisticated social commentary for adults. "Robots" is great to look at; something that can't be said about the recent "Madagascar". But damnit, the robots talk (I'd rather hear a collection of inappropriate music choices by Giorgio Moroder) and they're even less engaging than the zebra, hippo, giraffe, and lion. At least "Madagascar" doesn't resort to a lazy "Star Wars" reference, lowest common denominator hijiniks like flatulence, and digressions into spectacle. And the whole concept of upgrades as a means to map out a robot's life from infancy to senior citizenry isn't particularly well-thought out either. A montage that bridges Rodney's gradual transformation from baby to young "man" might've been a good idea. Another good idea would've been to ripoff "Futurama" and give us a Bender-like robot because Fender is almost as irritating as Jar-Jar Binks. "Robots" steals from "A.I." so why stop there? Collapse
  11. AriN.
    May 10, 2007
    It was weird and fake and to silly.
  12. JamesG.
    Oct 8, 2005
    Robin Williams is so funny. I love this movie.
    Mar 10, 2005
    Awesome Movie.
  14. VinceH.
    Mar 12, 2005
    Is this on the level of a Pixar movie? I'd say no. This movie lacks the transcendent qualities and aesthetic pleasures that movies like "The Incredibles" and "Finding Nemo" had. The characters are not as well-devloped or funny. The moral-heart story concerning Rodney and his dad is affecting, but overall this is a movie played strictly for kid-chuckles. The movie doesn't really Is this on the level of a Pixar movie? I'd say no. This movie lacks the transcendent qualities and aesthetic pleasures that movies like "The Incredibles" and "Finding Nemo" had. The characters are not as well-devloped or funny. The moral-heart story concerning Rodney and his dad is affecting, but overall this is a movie played strictly for kid-chuckles. The movie doesn't really have any scenes/character moments/jokes that stand out and are really memorable (except for one hilarious scene where Fender does a Britney Spears-type music video dance). Blue Sky has yet IMO to make a feature on the level of any of the Dreamworks or Pixar CGI-films, but perhaps "Ice Age 2" will change things. On a side note, the trailer for "Madagascar" is much better than this whole film. Expand
  15. RobertR.
    Mar 13, 2005
    This was very enjoyable.
  16. gog.
    Mar 22, 2005
    Pros: hilarious, great animation, cool roller coaster sequence, cons: generic ending overview: Calling all children! You live on mars if you do not watch this!!! (P.S. teens and adults will laugh out loud!)
  17. Marisa
    Mar 26, 2005
    It was pretty much what I expected from it, and nothing more. It was a cute kids animation movie. There were some funny parts, but nothing too halarious. It was okay. I was impressed with the cool subway scenes though. Otherwise, nothing special.
  18. UsagiY.
    Mar 26, 2005
    A nice retelling of Shrek with Robots.
  19. miker.
    May 3, 2005
    I liked it. There is lots to critize, but I think that overall it was fast paced eye candy. The characters were not particularly well developed, but the studio threw so much on the screen, that it was impossible to catch it all. ie the "curb your dog" scene in one frame, that shows the dog with his ower carrying a big magnet to pick up the poop. Lots of magnet and robot dance jokes. All I liked it. There is lots to critize, but I think that overall it was fast paced eye candy. The characters were not particularly well developed, but the studio threw so much on the screen, that it was impossible to catch it all. ie the "curb your dog" scene in one frame, that shows the dog with his ower carrying a big magnet to pick up the poop. Lots of magnet and robot dance jokes. All in all, the 1 1/2 went quickly for me. Expand
  20. DavidP.
    Sep 30, 2005
    Robots makes the third graders that wrote Madagascar look like geniuses.
  21. NicholasD
    Sep 12, 2006
    Great.
  22. kblake
    Mar 11, 2005
    As good as the incredibles... although it is simple storyline based on good vs. evil, it is very well done. robin williams' comedy is wonderful for both children and adults.
  23. mk
    Mar 11, 2005
    Lots of fun for the kids!
  24. GuyNoir
    Mar 10, 2005
    So horrid, I almost puked.
  25. PatP
  26. supersean
    Mar 12, 2005
    More Animation then substance, Robin Williams killed it.
  27. MeghanR.
    Mar 12, 2005
    VISUALLY STUNNING! Bluesky studios does it again. I only wish animated movies could be longer than 90 mins... My mom and daughter loved it. There is something in it for everyone. Its a must see again movie.
  28. Kevin
    Mar 13, 2005
    Pretty good, I personally liked it more than Ice Age, but thats probably mostly due to me liking robots more than mammoths.
  29. liz
    Mar 14, 2005
    Do not see this movie! SO many dacing, dumb potty jokes, awsome animation i say it was made to show off on its animation, i poohs hefflump movie better then this, if you want a good movie go rent ice age.
  30. JanaH.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Could have been alot better given the creative ensemble from Blue Sky, Babaloo, etal. Writing is suspect. Too loud. Too predictable. Too much going on.
  31. MichelleC.
    Mar 17, 2005
    Very nice kid friendly film. Not too bad for Spring break treat!
  32. Peter
    Mar 18, 2005
    The animation effects are stunning. One wonders how it is possible to create and master such a complexity. From an artistic and comedy viewpoint, there are some really great moments and creations too. The story line is a bit simplistic but that wasn't really the reason for me to go and see the film. The reason was for the sheer creation: animation and comedy - and in these areas the The animation effects are stunning. One wonders how it is possible to create and master such a complexity. From an artistic and comedy viewpoint, there are some really great moments and creations too. The story line is a bit simplistic but that wasn't really the reason for me to go and see the film. The reason was for the sheer creation: animation and comedy - and in these areas the film just excels. Expand
  33. RedS
    Mar 19, 2005
    A loud and colorful parade of recycled cliches, complete with one-dimensional characters that either don't develop at all because they're evil, or "overcome their difficulties and reach their goals" because - you've guessed it - they're good. A waste of technology, talent, and your time.
  34. derek
    Mar 8, 2005
    Not as impressive as Ice Age, but a satisfying and fast moving story. Fun for all, especially those under 12.
  35. FayM.
    Apr 11, 2005
    This move did not live up to its trailer. It was a boring story line, it was not funny in the slightest, a lot of went over my 8 year olds head. The story was not original, the Incredibles was a far more superior movie. Certainly felt for the first time "what a waste of money to see a movie".
  36. HarrisonB.
    Jul 16, 2005
    Very funny. Robin Williams is hilarious. Although the animation is amazing, some of the jokes I've heard before. Nevertheless, still a good movie.
  37. timc
    Jul 2, 2005
    Some stars must be given to the artistic effort of the visuals, but this movie's greatest weakness is severe indeed. The lat 1/3 runs like the typical Hollywood formulae smash-em-up and is loud, obnoxious, and dull. Hollywood thinks loud, violent action is the way to end all movies, God I'm so tired of that. Don't waste your time like me and my girlfriend did.
  38. Jason
    Oct 13, 2005
    This movie was pretty good for an animated one.
  39. JoeJoeNa
    I love this movie!
  40. Derek
    Mar 11, 2005
    Better than sharks tail, not as good as Shrek. My four year old was amazed, but didn't really understand what was going on. The "in-jokes" were funny, but one wonders how many references one will remember ten years from now (I recently re-watched alladin which suffers from the same problem).
  41. ChandlerA
    Mar 14, 2005
    Excellent visuals, but terrible otherwise. Not even close to Ice Age's level of hilarity.
  42. K-Dog
    Mar 14, 2005
    Looks ok visually, nothing stunning. The real problem is that it just isn't funny.
  43. JohnB.
    Mar 17, 2005
    A must see no matter what kind of review it gets. This is not cartooney, the metalm looks metal . However the wit from the characters is non stop.
  44. sooyoungu.
    Mar 18, 2005
    Adorable and fast paced. The special effects make you wish you could ride their subway system. Should be right up there with The Incredibles!
  45. MGraz
    Mar 19, 2005
    When I first saw the trailer for this movie I was willing to give it a fair shot... then I saw "professional" reviews claiming it was better than The Incredibles. This movie is utterly devoid of anything approaching "original." The plot has been done a hundred times... good guy's utopia gets perverted by bad guy until underdog-hero talks sense into good guy and both overthrow bad When I first saw the trailer for this movie I was willing to give it a fair shot... then I saw "professional" reviews claiming it was better than The Incredibles. This movie is utterly devoid of anything approaching "original." The plot has been done a hundred times... good guy's utopia gets perverted by bad guy until underdog-hero talks sense into good guy and both overthrow bad guy. As for the animation... making robots seem life-like isn't very impressive... I've seen more "life" from Anime robots a decade ago. There was little humor to this movie apart from the most obvious sight and sound gags... even the "adult" jokes seemed forced and out of place. The only reason I'm not giving this movie a "1" is the man-hours that went into making it. At best, rent this when it comes out... don't buy it and certainly don't pay to see it. Expand
  46. MarkB.
    Apr 14, 2005
    Which way you going, Blue Sky? The third of the "Big Three" corporate computer animation conglomerates, the Chris Wedge-led company got off to a nice start a couple of years ago with Ice Age, a very pleasing blend of state-of-the-art visuals and--with such elements as (partially) human-friendly wild beasts, the early death of a mother figure and the improbable but hugely satisfying return Which way you going, Blue Sky? The third of the "Big Three" corporate computer animation conglomerates, the Chris Wedge-led company got off to a nice start a couple of years ago with Ice Age, a very pleasing blend of state-of-the-art visuals and--with such elements as (partially) human-friendly wild beasts, the early death of a mother figure and the improbable but hugely satisfying return of a "dead"' character--old-school Disney. Robots, their followup, had a choice: it could've followed in the huge footsteps of Pixar (devising a fully-imagined, completely believable alternate universe: the city of Monstropolis, under the sea or inside a kid's bedroom--populating it with singularly appealing, unforgettable characters and THEN adding great comedy) or it coud've gone the Dreamworks route (the Shrek films and particularly Shark Tale, which use environment and atmosphere mostly as hooks on which to hang a series of hit-or-miss gags). Sadly, it went to the dark side, and as a result Robots goes over like a lead balloon. It's a near-complete disaster in every category, starting with the shockingly nondescript vocal characterizations: it's impossible to imagine anyone other than John Goodman as Pixar's Sully the monster or Ellen DeGeneres as Dory the fish, but Ewan Macgregor, Halle Berry, Greg Kinnear and most of the rest of the cast are so bland and indistinctive that I can't imagine why 20th Century Fox bothered to shell out the big bucks to hire them when I have any number of neighbors and coworkers who could've done the job at least as well for much less! (And before you bring up Robin Williams as an exception, I challenge you to view this and Disney's Aladdin back to back and see if you don't agree that, unlike his truly wild and inspired Genie, Williams comes across here as muzzled and tranquilized.) The production and character design are clearly very self-satisfied but a metallic eyesore--all the robots with the possible exception of little Widget (voiced by Wedge) are astonishingly unattractive, and I can't imagine a 3-year-old taking a replica of one of them to bed without getting nightmares. The script, cowritten by yockmeisters Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel (who shouldn't be trusted with anything not involving baseball or that Ron Howard or Billy Crystal have a hand in--and even that, as anyone who's seen Father's Day can attest--is no guarantee) goes for the lowest, cheapest and most obvious pop-culture schtick at every turn--when it's not indulging in fart jokes, that is. (And incidentally, when robots do break wind, wouldn't they...uh...you know, clank? And why sign on Mel Brooks if you're going to have a flatulence scene and not involve him in it?) The big set pieces make no sense whatsoever even on their own terms: upsetting a long line of elaborately positioned dominoes is only impressive if you do it live; animating it completely defeats the purpose. For cryin' out loud, even the short subject, a cartoon featuring Ice Ages's neurotic, acorn-obsessed critter Scrat, is a rip-off! No doubt I'm coming across as more than a little harsh and nasty about a film that a lot of hard work obviously went into, but to stretch the mechanical analogy a tad more, all I can say is that a lot of hard work went into the Edsel, too. Expand
  47. JakoWako
    Apr 21, 2005
    Just a loud, boring, insufferable piece of s... An utter waste of time. Don't bother.
  48. DaveR.
    Sep 29, 2005
    Really liked this movie - just saw it on DVD.
  49. Apr 3, 2014
    While the film may be a tad cliché and gimmicky at times I still enjoyed the film. There was heart and some fantastic animation. I’d say its worth a rent. If you are watching this film its not that bad the beautiful animation will pull you throw even if the humor will make you roll your eyes at some points. There is enough charm here to keep you entertained unfortunately not enough to makeWhile the film may be a tad cliché and gimmicky at times I still enjoyed the film. There was heart and some fantastic animation. I’d say its worth a rent. If you are watching this film its not that bad the beautiful animation will pull you throw even if the humor will make you roll your eyes at some points. There is enough charm here to keep you entertained unfortunately not enough to make this film a stand out. Expand
  50. Oct 24, 2010
    its not an excellent movie. its just perfect. the jokes were funny, the characters were enjoyable, and the animation was pretty decent. if those are the same guys who did Ice Age, then this is what you're looking for.
  51. Jan 2, 2012
    It has a really similar plot to a lot of movies and isn't as funny as it should be but Robots benefits from its fantastic voice performances from Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes. I give this movie 61%.
  52. Feb 11, 2012
    It was weird and fake and too silly. So horrid, I almost puked. Completely ridden with overused cliches, there were at most three times where I laughed, one of which was due to how ludicrous the plot was. Honestly only enjoyable to the extremely young.
  53. Mar 25, 2013
    A fun, charming and hilarious film containing the voice talents of Ewan McGregor, Robin Williams, Halle Berry and Amanda Bynes. The film is perfect for a child to watch and fun for parents as well.
  54. Aug 7, 2014
    Not the best animated film. It isn't the first 'Ice Age', but it was still funny and exuberantly written. Maybe a few arcs could have been taken out, and some jokes missed their marker, it made up for it with a pleasant story that didn't make me want to wretch halfway in, when the hero usually falls in love. Again, just because it's enjoyable doesn't mean it's a work of art. But still, nice.
  55. Nov 13, 2013
    Robots mechanizes success.
    The movie Robots is light, fun, and a little bit forgettable. The story is solid but not great and the jokes are okay but not hilarious, just a good kids film.
  56. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Robots (2005) is a visually pleasing and entertaining film. It is quite artsy but generally robots and androids lovers will like this! It sets in an entirely mechanical world, where each and every robot is unique in their own ways. This film, the second by Blue Sky Studios is certainly way way way finer than the first Ice Age film. They should have been rewarded a most improved studio kind of award!

I loved the concept and visuals, it is quite entertaining to watch as a whole as it is mechanically gorgeous but in terms of story and character creations, it is a little...lacking. For example, I did not know there was a specific love interest for the main character until I read up on it cause I don't see any obvious chemistry or hint. *lol*

Nonetheless, the film does have an inspiring message and there are some scenes in the film that left me dumbfounded; their version of baby making is hilarious and the fast paced Robot City's cross town express is surely epic. Hence, don't be fooled by the movie poster; the animation is much vivider and livelier than it looks. At first I thought it might be boring but boy, I was wrong!
  57. Oct 14, 2014
    A funny, hilarious adventure that looks visually amazing, with a decent storyline, and has such a great chase scene, and a great battle scene. Actors like Robin Williams steals the show and are given funny things to say. Overall Robots is funny, charming, and such a delight to watch.
  58. Mar 11, 2015
    Robin Williams is in classic form as he steals scene after scene as "Fender" with witty dialogue all the way through. A fitting successor to "Ice Age", this animated motion picture is both funny and intelligent. I just howled at the scene with Fender teaching Rodney to make whoopee cushion noises with his arm pits, then the Rusties follow suit, leading to an encore by Aunt Fanny, to putRobin Williams is in classic form as he steals scene after scene as "Fender" with witty dialogue all the way through. A fitting successor to "Ice Age", this animated motion picture is both funny and intelligent. I just howled at the scene with Fender teaching Rodney to make whoopee cushion noises with his arm pits, then the Rusties follow suit, leading to an encore by Aunt Fanny, to put the "fun" in dys_fun_ctional. Expand

1. If sheer cleverness were everything, Robots would be the best computer-animated cartoon yet…Yet, unlike the very best CG animation, Robots doesn't quite connect with the emotions and humor for which one yearns in cartoons.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Robots goes for a color scheme that is cool, muted, instantly aged. Director Chris Wedge wants the eye to concentrate on the gags he and his writers (including veteran comedy craftsmen Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel) have stuffed into the film.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    It's meant as high praise to say that, very early in Robots, the extraordinary starts to seem perfectly ordinary.