Rocket Science

6.9

1. MichaelE.
    Aug 21, 2007
    Today I saw Rocket Science, or, as I have cleverly dubbbed it, Rushless. Weird high school kid with goofy haircut and emotional problems who has a crush on an unapproachable girl? Check. Flat low angle shots of banal locations? Check. Annoying, self-consciously hip music score? Check. (I mean, "The Blob" by Bacharach+David on accordion and mini-choir? Ugh. And the Femmes on piano+cello Today I saw Rocket Science, or, as I have cleverly dubbbed it, Rushless. Weird high school kid with goofy haircut and emotional problems who has a crush on an unapproachable girl? Check. Flat low angle shots of banal locations? Check. Annoying, self-consciously hip music score? Check. (I mean, "The Blob" by Bacharach+David on accordion and mini-choir? Ugh. And the Femmes on piano+cello played by old people? Even worse) Tons of irony, with just a little touch of heart at the end so we'll feel like we've seen something? Check. Bursts of stupid violence that have nothing to do with anything? Check. Juvenile angst and ennui presented as cute? Check. The director certainly has the Wes Anderson playbook down pat, but not much else. Expand

1. Blitz captures the melancholy, the rage, the wackiness and drama of adolescence, and he gets winning performances out of his young stars.
    The problem with Rocket Science is that the character at the center of the drama isn't very energetic or, truth be told, interesting. This makes it difficult at times to remain engaged in the unfolding tale.
  3. Catapulted by an endearing lead performance by Reece Daniel Thompson as a stuttering high-school student, Rocket Science transcends the predictable high-school yarn and arcs into usually unexplored domains of self-discovery and personal growth in a coming-of-age film.