7.7

1. Nov 19, 2013
    Scattershot and confusing narrative notwithstanding, "RocknRolla" still clearly represents a well-crafted return to form for Guy Ritchie and an excellent mosaic of side-splittingly funny performances.
  2. Jun 28, 2013
    This is a typical Guy Ritchie film. With a wide range of characters and some very powerful performances to random shots making you wonder where the story is headed but just in time to converge in one final showdown leaving you with just word.. WOW!! I can't help but compare it to SNATCH..as they are similar in so many ways...but SNATCH was much more intense, funny and a better script.
  3. Mar 5, 2013
    RocknRolla brings an ensemble cast, some who have done extremely well in life after this film, and have thrown them into a very fast-paced and pulsating film that doesn't come up for air.
    This isn't necessarily bad, Guy Ritchie, after all, is the writer and director of this British crime/comedy film, and he does an exceedingly good job at integrating each cast member to be of a particular use when the time comes.
    So One Two (Gerard Butler) and Mumbles (Idris Elba) are basically thieves, if the complex story is to be believed, and they owe quite a debt to underground crook Lenny Cole (Tom Wilkinson) and his associate, Archie (Mark Strong), who lead in an awfully witty and humorous script that is up there with the best of Ritchie's films.
    There is a vast array of characters who all play minor parts in the big picture, literally, because a painting lent to Cole has been stolen and is being traced down. Tom Hardy, Ludicrous, Jeremy Piven, Toby Kebbell and the cunning yet beautiful Thandie Newton, all play pivotal roles to create a largely entertaining crime film of the Ritchie tradition.
    It does, however, have its shortcomings. The plot is a little complex to the point where it can sometimes be too quick, or too much going on to even give a damn to pay attention to the actual story and instead enjoy the action moments. There is also the problem of a large part of the cast being under used or not really standing out in their roles, apart from maybe Thandie Newton, Mark Strong and Tom Wilkinson, the rest just appear to be going along for the sake of it. Toby Kebbell is also annoyingly memorable in his role.
    But these small problems aside, this is still and excellent and enjoyable film, with the cinematography being of true excellence, highlighting particular scenes to show their importance, or just to add depth, like most Guy Ritchie films. The witty and smart script is catchy and noteworthy, with plenty of British slang and quips to amuse the best of us, and is well delivered from the talent at show, some more so than others.
    it has all the potential to be a classic, with its underlying humour and glitzy take on crime in London, but a few minor story details and over-abundance of characters stop it from being masterful.
  4. Feb 9, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie but I have to be just. The plot was moronic and the characters all one dimensional. The only thing it had going for itself was style. There were a few good scenes but they weren't enough to rescue the movie.
  5. Sep 25, 2012
    Fast-paced, a good, fun watch. Lots of small, funny, "character moments" that made it interesting and engaging. Don't know why it has such a low critic rating.
  6. Jul 25, 2012
    RocknRolla tells an engaging story, a surprise in itself given just how many character arcs are taken on, but screenwriter-director Guy Ritchie handles this monumental task well, each group of characters have their own individual story unfold, but crossover and intertwine with others until the conclusion, where the plot drives each of the characters to the one place. I am reminded of GrandRocknRolla tells an engaging story, a surprise in itself given just how many character arcs are taken on, but screenwriter-director Guy Ritchie handles this monumental task well, each group of characters have their own individual story unfold, but crossover and intertwine with others until the conclusion, where the plot drives each of the characters to the one place. I am reminded of Grand Theft Auto IV and its two DLC ("The Lost and the Damned" and "The Ballad of Gay Tony") and how the main characters' stories, while on the whole entirely different affairs, crossover at certain points, maybe its just me, but that's a narrative technique that I find admirable. The cast pull it off with an aplomb, I mean, come on, Gerard Butler, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong and Tom Wilkinson to name but a few, this movie's casting is nothing short of inspired. But most important of all, the cast seem to have fun with their roles, and it's awesome to see actors who enjoy what they do not just for the extensive salary, but for the joy of acting itself. Expand
  7. Dec 27, 2011
    My favourite movie of all time. This movie got a lot of cr*p for no reason. Even though the beginning lacks a tad of action, the rest of the movie is filled with. I am definitely looking forward for the Real RocknRolla. The movie is action packed and funny. Some people say that the plot twists are too predictable, but I ask them, what plot twists their are none. It's just a flowing movieMy favourite movie of all time. This movie got a lot of cr*p for no reason. Even though the beginning lacks a tad of action, the rest of the movie is filled with. I am definitely looking forward for the Real RocknRolla. The movie is action packed and funny. Some people say that the plot twists are too predictable, but I ask them, what plot twists their are none. It's just a flowing movie of awesome. Lots of people compare it to snatch, however it's completely different. Snatch happens in the little league gangs of east london, while as RocknRolla is with the high rollers of West London. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2011
    Most of the movie was nonsensical talking, screaming, swearing with attitude which although does make up most of Guy Ritchie movies, RocknRolla was confusing and hard to follow. The first half was unclear and a little boring, there are some good scenes towards the end when the movie starts to make sense but overall I found the movie jumbled and fairly forgettable.
  9. Sep 26, 2011
    This is one of those films people will hate or love. The movie is more of a cult-hit sort of a deal where majority of the public will not be impressed, but a selected few will absolutely adore it. If you have seen Guy Richies previous work then, its more or less of the same thing (not a bad thing). If you plan to watch it however, I strongly recommend doing so alone or in a small group, DOThis is one of those films people will hate or love. The movie is more of a cult-hit sort of a deal where majority of the public will not be impressed, but a selected few will absolutely adore it. If you have seen Guy Richies previous work then, its more or less of the same thing (not a bad thing). If you plan to watch it however, I strongly recommend doing so alone or in a small group, DO however turn on the subtitles even if you are a native speaker, since some of the witty jokes are thrown out so casually you might not even notice em. The movie plays mostly off the atmosphere and interesting characters with the story taking a back seat most of the way. I have seen it 3 times and I noticed new things on each sitting(also understood the story as a whole after the final sitting). Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2011
    This simply a great movie, it is well acted well directed and is the perfect blend of action and comedy 10 out of 10
  11. Aug 1, 2011
    I like Guy Ritchie as a director, his style and vision for his films. I couldnâ
  12. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie was so much better then I though that it would be. I remember seeing previews for it and thinking it would be just horrible. After watching the movie I was proved wrong, the story soundtrack, acting, flow, plot were all great. There where only two minors complaints that I had. First it drug on a little in a couple spots and the dance scene was kinda stupid. Otherwise the movieThis movie was so much better then I though that it would be. I remember seeing previews for it and thinking it would be just horrible. After watching the movie I was proved wrong, the story soundtrack, acting, flow, plot were all great. There where only two minors complaints that I had. First it drug on a little in a couple spots and the dance scene was kinda stupid. Otherwise the movie was fantastic, I loved the robbery scene, I don't think I have laughed that hard in a long time. Overall the movie was enjoyable and fun to watch, this is a must see. Expand
  13. Apr 5, 2011
    Really really boring. Lock Stock was excellent. Snatch was a glossy replica that had a bit of diminished return but still came out good. Rocknrolla replicates Snatch and plugs in less lively characters, an equally convoluted plot but one that seems a lot more like running in sand, moving quick but not going anywhere... Thandie Newton plays a Bond girl, Gerard Butler is lame, and JasonReally really boring. Lock Stock was excellent. Snatch was a glossy replica that had a bit of diminished return but still came out good. Rocknrolla replicates Snatch and plugs in less lively characters, an equally convoluted plot but one that seems a lot more like running in sand, moving quick but not going anywhere... Thandie Newton plays a Bond girl, Gerard Butler is lame, and Jason Statham stayed home sick for this one. (Not trying to give him props though. Because then there was Revolver.) Expand
  14. Mar 28, 2011
    guy Ritchie did it again with this movie, it is easily one of the best films i have ever seen witch for some reason is hated by critics. In any case before you gauge it go and watch it ... i promise you will not be disappointed.
  15. Oct 10, 2010
    This movie, by far, is the best film I've seen in a while. Yeah, this review is a little late, according to when the movie first came out, but i just saw the trailer again, so I saw it. Let me just say, as a critic, I do not, I repeat, DO NOT care for what you have to say about this movie, unless you have something good to say about it. I loved this movie, the cinematography, theThis movie, by far, is the best film I've seen in a while. Yeah, this review is a little late, according to when the movie first came out, but i just saw the trailer again, so I saw it. Let me just say, as a critic, I do not, I repeat, DO NOT care for what you have to say about this movie, unless you have something good to say about it. I loved this movie, the cinematography, the storyline, the action, the humor, the mystery, it is nearly perfect. 10 out of 10. Expand
  16. Sep 1, 2010
    Guy Ritchie returns with dead rockstars, Russians, homosexuals, a painting, & the bloke out of 300.
    Top notch cast with Toby Kebbell, Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson & Mark Strong all giving good performances.
    The film is what you'd expect from Guy Ritchie, Cockney geezers giving it large, slick cut-aways, choonz & all round kerfuffle. Could have been a lot better considering the talent on
    Could have been a lot better considering the talent on offer & definitely not as good as Lock,Stock or Snatch which is what Ritchie is always going to be compared with.

1. If only RocknRolla's characters were at all believable - even in the context of its own cartoon universe.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Rosenblatt
    A fast-paced amoral joyride that's more interested in the absurdities of violent criminality (torture by crayfish, anyone?) than the complications of real life.
  3. It never generates much interest in its story or affection for its characters, and it's simply not half as funny as it needs to be.