Rocky Balboa

8.4

1. TonyC.
    Jan 3, 2007
    I was somewhat disappointed because much of this movie felt really forced. The heavyweight champs in the other movies were very believable, this champ looks like middleweight. 60 year old Rocky had a bigger build than this Kevin Garnet look-alike. It's a shame that Stallone didn't use a real heavywight, because that would have made the final scene more realistic. Many of the I was somewhat disappointed because much of this movie felt really forced. The heavyweight champs in the other movies were very believable, this champ looks like middleweight. 60 year old Rocky had a bigger build than this Kevin Garnet look-alike. It's a shame that Stallone didn't use a real heavywight, because that would have made the final scene more realistic. Many of the other actors did not fit either, and some of the scenes were just too unrealistic [**SPOILER***] Rocky's son quiting his job after his Rocky's speech to watch his dad train . And do you expect us to believe that Rocky, after all these years, has no one else to bring to Vegas than "little" Marie and her son. I wouldn't expect Rocky to have to bribe people into becoming his friends. I really wanted to like this film, and the final scene made me forget some of the flaws, but as another reviewer said, it felt like it was written by a college kid. Expand
  2. BlackS.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Too cheesy, cliched, trite and generally unintelligent for most British people to appreciate. I would recommend for adolescents only.
  3. ToddB.
    Apr 2, 2007
    Rocky's soliloquies were embarassingly simple and of the dime-store philosopher type. He still hasn't learned to keep his hands up, so he's still a human punching bag. Joe Cortez let the fight continue after the 50+ year old fighter was knocked down twice in one round? Never. Suspension of disbelief was impossible because we were given proposterous story elements. Bad Rocky's soliloquies were embarassingly simple and of the dime-store philosopher type. He still hasn't learned to keep his hands up, so he's still a human punching bag. Joe Cortez let the fight continue after the 50+ year old fighter was knocked down twice in one round? Never. Suspension of disbelief was impossible because we were given proposterous story elements. Bad performances and even worse dialogue pepper this disaster. Expand
  4. ArnieG.
    Dec 21, 2006
    Disapointing. The Schmaltzy music is unbearable. . Solidly acted but outrageously sappy. Slightly better than Rocky 5 but just barely.
  5. Cables
    Dec 23, 2006
    Other than a few somewhat funny (yet completely forced) one liners, this movie was a huge disappointment. I can't believe the reviews are this good. It honestly felt like the movie was written by a college kid who saw one too many sports movies.
  6. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    I really wanted to like this movie more, and I admire Stallone for keeping the focus small and intimate. It's OK while you're watching it, but you forget it as soon as you leave the theater.
  7. ChadS.
    Dec 24, 2006
    Like the "Star Wars" prequels, the highlight of "Rocky Balboa" is the music. Both films are dependent on the audience's nostalgia for its predecessors and can't truly stand on their own merits. If you're not genuinely thrilled when Rocky charges up those Philadelphian steps; you're either a corpse, or a Rocky virgin. "Rocky Balboa", unfortunately, lays on the Like the "Star Wars" prequels, the highlight of "Rocky Balboa" is the music. Both films are dependent on the audience's nostalgia for its predecessors and can't truly stand on their own merits. If you're not genuinely thrilled when Rocky charges up those Philadelphian steps; you're either a corpse, or a Rocky virgin. "Rocky Balboa", unfortunately, lays on the sentimentality a little too thick, and the most ardent fan has to admit; somewhat forced(same turtles, fine; but same hat and coat after thirty years?) to the brink of preposterousness(that pet shop must be a front for some drug operation). "Rocky Balboa" impressively recreates the look and feel from the John Avildsen-directed original, which makes psychological sense since Rocky is living in the past. What doesn't make sense is the deployment of that same color palette for the scenes detailing the Mason Dixon(Antonio Tarver) camp. To me, there should be a color contrast to indicate both fighters' psychical state. But that would be an art film. In an art film, Adrian(Talia Shire, who must've been royally pissed to be left out) wouldn't be flickering for the people who loved "Ghost". Mrs. Balboa's presence would exist solely in her grieving husband's eyes. To Stallone's credit, he could've pulled it off. The big fight starts off well(it's presented in real time), but then Stallone gets artsy(oh,oh), and makes the unfortunate switch to ornate montage, which to me, resembles a collaboration between Rod Serling and Darin Aronofsky("Requeim for a Heavyweight Dream"). Expand
  8. Dec 25, 2015
    Rocky V was a better ending to the series, this is just pure fanservice with no heart nor originality, it feels like a **** remake of a good movie, just like Rocky II.

1. Reviewed by: Nick Schager
    Nov 23, 2015
    Stallone yearns to investigate the loneliness of a man who can’t get over the past, an endeavor which entails unwieldy speeches (delivered by the actor in his patented “yews guys” patois) and reflective shots of the city’s skyline.
  2. Reviewed by: M.K. Terrell
    Nov 23, 2015
    Stallone's writing and direction pull off a considerable level of pathos and suspense as Rocky mourns his wife's passing and tries to develop a closer relationship with his resentful son.
  3. Nov 23, 2015
    As Stallone’s gentle gift for funny, engaging, naturalistic dialogue starts to take hold, the movie fills up with tiny, poignant moments. Scuffed with heartfelt sincerity and naïve emotionalism, it’s a film that makes little people bigger than life.