6.2

1. LouisH.
    Nov 18, 2007
    this is a weird movie. The drama loses all of its touch. Just the modern stuff with the past dialouge makes everbody seem like they all escaped from the nut house. Still, they had the cool modern police gun fights and all that. Final rating=5.
    Feb 15, 2009
    Alright, Baz Lurhmann, with all due respect, what the fuck have you done? Modern day Miami with verona dialog? "get me my longsword"=big gun? Mercution a crossdresser? God, this movie sucked. The only thing that keeps it from being a complete dud was Leo DiCaprio's performance and the scene where Romeo kills Tybalt.
  3. Dec 22, 2014
    Ultimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some ways and move me in others and Baz Luhrmann's interpretation keeps this alive and does well communicating it. For this, I cannot hate this film. However,Ultimately, Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet is a mixed bag. On the positive, the second half is great and just as effecting as it should and needs to be. While I obviously know what happens, this story never fails to touch my heart in some ways and move me in others and Baz Luhrmann's interpretation keeps this alive and does well communicating it. For this, I cannot hate this film. However, there are some negatives. Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes are not awesome. They are not bad, to be sure, but there are some moments that made me cringe. On top of that, the first half is comically bad. I could not help but laugh throughout as the modern interpretation of this one was beyond terrible in this portion. It improves in the second half, but damn is the first half embarassingly stupid and over the top. As a whole, Romeo + Juliet is not a bad film, but it is certainly not a good film. It is an interesting update to the classic tale, but has too many negatives to become anything more than that. Expand
  4. Jul 25, 2015
    Watching this film again years later, I decided to post my thoughts on it. There are several things I enjoy about this film...in concept. The juxtaposition of old English Shakespearen within a modern setting, while not revolutionary, was interesting. This film has a great cast of actors, less Daynes. And the set pieces are interesting to the eye. I think some people took this all a littleWatching this film again years later, I decided to post my thoughts on it. There are several things I enjoy about this film...in concept. The juxtaposition of old English Shakespearen within a modern setting, while not revolutionary, was interesting. This film has a great cast of actors, less Daynes. And the set pieces are interesting to the eye. I think some people took this all a little too seriously. The negatives, however, do weigh in. Daynes not only doesn't pull off the "look" of Juliet, but she's wooden in her performance. Bare in mind she was only 16-years-old. The action sequences (because they substitute swordplay with gunplay) don't entirely make sense. Some of the music simply does not hold up. Okay, most of the music. But the biggest issue is simply in the execution. They go too far, too over-the-top, too flamboyant for any of it to be remotely believable. It doesn't work. Good concept, not executed well. But I'd still rate this an average 5/10, if not just for cultural significance and nostalgia. Shut off your brain for a little bit and enjoy it for what it is. Expand
  5. Aug 26, 2015
    I like its effort its just that this movie would have a lot more potential if the script was not literally copy paste right out of Shakespeare's original play. It's a damn shame they got the casting right the acting spot on but they just had to copy paste. Some people see is as artsy but I see it as pretentious.

I have never seen anything remotely approaching the mess that the new punk version of "Romeo & Juliet" makes of Shakespeare's tragedy.
    While such a loud, brash interpretation may not go down in cinematic history as the definitive version of the play, hopefully it will open a few eyes and widen the audience willing to venture into any movie bearing the credit "based on the play by William Shakespeare."
    It would be destined for the trash heap of Shakespeare adaptations, if not for its female lead, and its heart, 17-year-old Claire Danes.