8.2

1. Aug 10, 2012
    Likely won't receive Oscar attention, but this film deserves it. Kazan's script tears apart the unrealistic male fantasy of the manic pixie dream girl by bringing the cliche to life in an offbeat, yet dark, comedy with interesting messages about the nature of adult relationships. There may not be a better script in all of 2012.
  2. Aug 12, 2012
    Ironically, this romantic comedy has a lot of heart in it. Typically the factory of rom-coms produce fluffy drivel, and I was amused to see that this was marketed far off its actual mark. Does the film industry have so little faith in its audience to bare even a tiny portion of its true nature?

At least Kazon is more fearless than most. Her story and screenplay hit closer to the true
    nature of relationships and personal desires than almost every single rom-com and even most dramatic romance films. Funny thing that such a fantastical premise could deliver such a sobering experience.

The sad news is that film is lacking in that charm that made Little Miss Sunshine an indie hit. It does not deliver enough positive zing to really reel them in. But for me, the films that mean the most to me are those that take you out of your comfortable zone and risks actually teaching you something more about yourself. In that respect, this film gets my heartfelt gratitude.

For the people wanting a more serious film on romance, this is an easy recommendation.
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    Being a sucker for love stories I have sat through a lot of raved about films, which will remain nameless, the past couple of years but today I got suckered in big time by
  4. Aug 21, 2012
    The pleasantest surprise I've had in a while. This seems to me not so much a love story or a commentary on male-female power relationships as it does a treatment of the question of how much control the writer has on his imagination and on reality. As such, it has the virtue of getting more interesting as it goes on. The two leads are perfect--this is what American indie films should be.
  5. Sep 9, 2012
    I'll show you bona fide loving. 106 minutes of love, learning, and magic. Love story that will touch the soul and stimulate the mind. Love is real and sometimes things don't need an explanation, rhyme, or reason. Highs and lows, dark times and elation. This movie will take you through the true roller coaster of life and love.
  6. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was a joy to watch. For me, a touch slow in the beginning, but simply amazing once Calvin finally meets Ruby in person. Can't give enough superlatives on the acting performances. In particular, Zoe Kazan who wrote Ruby Sparks (!), played her with grace, beauty, depth and feeling. Paul Dano was perfect in his role. That pair together was great casting. I also liked the energy balance provided by the supporting cast; some low key, others passionate; some really fine actors and actresses there.

This movie succeed on multiple levels.

I recommend you see it with someone else who loves quirky movies and love stories.
  7. Oct 23, 2012
    This film is pure concentrated wonderful. What makes Ruby Sparks a great movie and Seven Psychopaths a good movie is that while both deal with the same premise, Ruby Sparks has one primary idea and runs with it to its full potential, where Seven Psychopaths has too many ideas and doesn't always know what to do with them.
  8. Oct 4, 2013
    It's often easy to get lost in another reality when putting pen to paper or fingers to buttons, writing can be a release, a way to escape from reality, Zoe Kazan writes and stars in this interesting piece about Ruby Sparks, who at first glance is the figment of a young writers imagination. Calvin (Paul Dano) is the writer in question, a once successful prodigy who now struggles with writing or conceiving anything new, we are reminded of those who hit their stride early in life, but cannot cope with the expectations or hype that is laid upon them. But we all draw inspiration from often the most peculiar of ways, Calvin dreams about this perfect girl Ruby, who he then creates on paper. His new found joy is soon turned to shock when Ruby is standing in his kitchen one morning eating cereal. The film approaches its narrative from a repressive nature of everything Calvin wanted in not just a girlfriend, but a companion, Ruby and Calvin share an overwhelmingly positive beginning to their relationship, the chemistry that Dano and Kazan share is what makes it much more quirky and enjoyable, we don't really know much about Ruby, other than her actual existence being questionable, it's fine that Calvin's brother Harry (Chris Messina) can see her, but it still throws many questions into the air, especially the one where he can make this girl do anything with his words, which makes for some humorous moments but also emotional despair for young Calvin, who begins to lose the one thing he has complete control over. Kazan proves her talent don't lie entirely in front of the camera, providing a fresh and energetic look at a recognisable story of characters coming to life, while also exploring how limitless the imagination can be, but outlining the dangers of losing a grip on reality. Paul Dano deserves recognition in the highest regard for his performance, his character is nervous and secluded from everyone, seeing a therapist regularly while also staring at a blank white page in the hope that something will come to mind, we see this once in the film but can assume that this is a regular occurrence, but when Ruby comes along he sees his problems disappear, but a heartfelt ending which has great intentions, makes me wonder if it will happen all over again. Certainly a film that throws many questions at the viewer, but also one with plenty of laughs, great performances and great depth in its delivery. Expand
  9. Jul 5, 2014
    Zoe Kazan is really a great writer. This movie was so perfect in many ways. The directing, the cinematography, the soundtracks, the script, the angles, all of them were so fit that made this movie was phenomenal. The climax, they nailed it. Screwed my mind for a month or longer. I cried. This comedy movie made me cry. How was that even possible?!

Paul Dano was really awesome. His acting
    on this movie was his best so far. Most of his characters from his other movies look similar, kind of a depression character or something, but in this movie, he gave me a new exciting and his real original act, like nobody could act this character except him. He's enchanted.

I do love the cinematography. I thought this movie should get lots of awards. I thought Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan should get many awards. Thank you.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 12, 2012
    Kazan brings to the role a sweet and dignified vulnerability, keeping rigorously to plausible human behaviour.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Oct 8, 2012
    Six years after "Little Miss Sunshine," Dayton and Faris deliver a comedy that sparkles with wit and substance. But from the script to her portrayal of the title character, Ruby Sparks belongs to Zoe Kazan, who joins the likes of Sarah Polley and Brit Marling in the rarified ranks of actress/screenwriter double-threats.
  3. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Oct 1, 2012
    Smart, literate and romantic, it's this year's (500) Days Of Summer, but with a few more shadows. Like Calvin, you'll find it hard to resist Ms Sparks.