6.9

1. BonnieD.
    Nov 7, 2003
    Very lame script with subject matter that defies anyone with even an ounce of intelligence? Great actors doing nothing. Leaves you empty at the not so surprising conclusion.
  2. DeniseW.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Excellent movie - first class acting from all the main characters and some great twists in the story keeps you guessing the outcome right to the end.
  3. AmberP.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Paul A, I just read your review. Having seen this disaster first hand I would strongly suggest you stick to your day job if you truly liked this dreck. But, opinions are like assh-les in that everyone has one. In your case, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But if you can get by your ADD try to remember what I said about opinions?
  4. JohnG.
    Apr 5, 2004
    My expectations ran high, perhaps too high, when I read the cast list for this movie. Unfortunately, like some other born-of-a-personal-misfortune/neurosis movies (dare I say Oliver Stone?) the constant barrage of anti-gun stereotypes soon began to muddle what could have been an interesting movie. Let a movie be a movie, not an exorcism of someone's personal bitterness about a My expectations ran high, perhaps too high, when I read the cast list for this movie. Unfortunately, like some other born-of-a-personal-misfortune/neurosis movies (dare I say Oliver Stone?) the constant barrage of anti-gun stereotypes soon began to muddle what could have been an interesting movie. Let a movie be a movie, not an exorcism of someone's personal bitterness about a resented civil liberty. A judicious editing could still save this movie. Expand
  5. MitchM.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Seemed to me like a cross between "Enemy of the State" (tech battles) and "The Firm"/"Pelican Brief", etc. Plotty as hell, but there's something about Rachel Weisz that brings a degree of humanity and poignance to the proceedings.
  6. Terry
    Nov 6, 2003
    Did anyone find the runaway jury yet? The movie sucked with the alleged surprise ending telegraphed home about 30 minutes into the movie. Unbelievable in every sense of the word with the actors looking as if they were going to crack up delivering their lines. They had to be kidding when they made this crapola.
  7. ChadS.
    Oct 18, 2003
    Gene Hackman, as if you needed a reminder, is one of our great ones. He makes "Runaway Jury" seem like a serious movie. Going after the gun industry takes a backseat to Bad Stuff That Happens to John Cusack. Hoffman must've been more than a little upset since his plaintiff's case is mere background, thus giving him less chances to fight the good fight. When he plays the video of Gene Hackman, as if you needed a reminder, is one of our great ones. He makes "Runaway Jury" seem like a serious movie. Going after the gun industry takes a backseat to Bad Stuff That Happens to John Cusack. Hoffman must've been more than a little upset since his plaintiff's case is mere background, thus giving him less chances to fight the good fight. When he plays the video of the deceased celebrating his son's birthday during deliberations, it lacks any semblance of gravitas, because the filmmaker is trying to cram a "The Practice" moment, in a courtroom drama that gets most of its juice from The Ambiguous Cell-Phone Girl, and not from the actual case. That said, Rachel Weisz asserts herself well against Hackman, and Cusack, and Hoffman. With lesser actors, "Runaway Jury" would seem even more preposterous. Expand
  8. SharonW.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Against my better judgment despite the generally poor Metacritic reviews I rented this dreck. There are no words to describe how stupid and ridiculous this plot was. Predictable and genuinely funny which is not what they were going for. Great actors doing nothing more than picking up yet another paycheck.
  9. SidneyF.
    Preposterous.
  10. WahyudiA.
    Mar 7, 2004
    Very beautiful & Best Acting In Her Film " Vassili Zaitsev"
  11. MarjorieL.
    Nov 10, 2003
    I couldn't agree more. Just ridiculous from start to finish.
  12. WhitneyP.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Runaway if you are thinking of seeing this flick? A waste of time and money. So lame a storyline that I can't believe the actors made this garbage.
  13. DonnaW.
    Nov 12, 2003
    I enjoyed the movie but can't say it was riveting.
  14. DonnaW.
    Nov 12, 2003
    I enjoyed the movie but can't say it was riveting.
  15. RobertS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Great actors picking up a paycheck - nothing more! The less said the better.
  16. JaredH.
    Nov 16, 2003
    This is the best Hollywood could come up with with these great actors? What a disappointment. Avoid at all costs.
  17. PatC.
    Nov 25, 2003
    The initial premise, that justice can be twisted by personality engineers, who manipulate the ignorant to produce a specified verdict, is thought-provoking and timely. Innocent people are shafted in our courts every day, and this movie seemed to be making an attempt to investigate the phenomena. One memorable scene is a clash of titans Hackman & Hoffman. In this verbal confrontation, the The initial premise, that justice can be twisted by personality engineers, who manipulate the ignorant to produce a specified verdict, is thought-provoking and timely. Innocent people are shafted in our courts every day, and this movie seemed to be making an attempt to investigate the phenomena. One memorable scene is a clash of titans Hackman & Hoffman. In this verbal confrontation, the content of their lines is immaterial, what is really being said in turn is, "I can out-act you." But in the end the film morphed into the pure drivel Hollywood is incapable of resisting. Justice isn't complicated or unfair after all - it's simply that bad and incredibly underdeveloped male characters sell guns that kill lovable smurfs in small towns, then hire scumbags like Hackman for damage control - I honestly did not know this was happening. This movie does not insult one's intelligence, it bitch-slaps it. Expand
  18. SteveT.
    Nov 3, 2003
    An entertaining drama that keeps the audience guessing which way it will turn next.
  19. JasonP.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I have no real strong feelings on this film. It is not extremely bad, but it's not extremely good either. The cast is excellent.
  20. raVen
    Oct 22, 2003
    (8.5) Alright, I confess. My mind was made up long before I even set foot in the theatre. I must first explain that I have an overt pro-Hoffman/Hackman bias, as well as an anti-assault weapons bias. Essentially, I liked the movie before I even saw it. I'm sorry. ...So in fairness, I won't talk about any of those things...much. What I liked--that is, what I discovered--about the (8.5) Alright, I confess. My mind was made up long before I even set foot in the theatre. I must first explain that I have an overt pro-Hoffman/Hackman bias, as well as an anti-assault weapons bias. Essentially, I liked the movie before I even saw it. I'm sorry. ...So in fairness, I won't talk about any of those things...much. What I liked--that is, what I discovered--about the movie once I watched it was that all the characters were in some way challenged in their beliefs. Rohr has to decide whether or not he wants to stoop to the oppositions' tactics in order to advance his beliefs. Fitch has to come to grips with the idea that there may be someone who can outsmart him. Even Easter, after gaining control, must decide how far is too far. As audience members, it is often our "duty" to set aside whatever preconceived notions we might have had about a movie going in, if we are to make an accurate assessment of its technical merits. Of course, that's a near impossibility--whether you're in a jury room or writing a movie review like the ones above. And that's the point. I really liked this movie, particularly the parallel but not equivalent character studies of Hoffman and Hackman. (One asks which tie he should wear, the other asks which apartment to torch). And as for this "liberal bias" I read about, I don't see it. Unless all movies with slightly sappy endings qualify, in which case Cinderella is a registered Democrat. I think the guy smearing "the blood of dead children" all over himself in the courtroom made it clear that kooks on both sides were well represented. Why are there more pro-gun kooks than anti-gun kooks, you say? Well... I'll leave that one to the jury. Expand
  21. Fantasy
    Oct 22, 2003
    Great actors in an absolute lame movie devoid of any reality. In my opinion, it was so predictable that I'm surprised that the actors were able to recite their feeble lines without laughing. You could see the ending coming a mile away. As for it even remotely resembling reality - not a prayer on this planet. If you must see it rent on DVD.
  22. GeorgeW.
    Oct 23, 2003
    Was this a comedy? Dumb and dumber!
  23. Leslie
    Oct 24, 2003
    Talk about feeble, "You're losing me my jury?" Please tell me where they came up with this preposterous idea for a movie? Too stupid to even be believed. Garbage!
  24. ThomasS.
    Oct 25, 2003
    The audience was laughing. Was this supposed to be comedy or a suspense drama? The joke was on me for wasting my time.
  25. JackT.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Have they run out of idea's for movies? This one takes the cake. Terrible and lame. A waste of two great actors and one good one. If you must see it, rent it.
  26. PaulA.
    Jan 18, 2004
    Was it entertaining? Yes. Do I recommend it? Definitely. Do I think that the subject matter appealed to me because of my views on guns? Probably. Do I think that people who are stupid enough to dislike a movie because they disagree with its FICTIONAL contect should not be allowed to voice their pathetic views on a site like this? Do I actually have to answer that question?
  27. BarbaraD.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Entertaining, but difficult to follow at first. Moved fast, hard to pay close attention. Re the other opinions on this board - I am for the strictest gun control possible, no one should have a gun, I'm also against the death penalty, but these topics make for interesting movies, regardless of ones personal feelings.
  28. VikramM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Is everyone out of their minds! This movie was awesome!!!!!! Oh my god! John Cusack, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman give a GREAT PERFORMANCE! But I am still entiteled to my opinions, and I am sorry if I offended anyone.
  29. Cat
    Jul 28, 2006
    The worst movie I have ever seen, bar none. And I believe in gun control! It was just so contrived and melodramatic (oh, this juror's an alcoholic, this one's the victim of domestic abuse, blah blah blah) and the fairytale ending was just plain vapid and unrealistic. Not to mention that it was very poor in the technical department
  30. BarryB.
    Nov 13, 2003
    It galls me that the professional critics when they like the actors give them a pass. This is an idiotic premise, with the storyline is so unbelievable, that you feel like laughing at the actors when they deliver their lines? Just terrible.
  31. ChrisH.
    Nov 16, 2003
    A so-so movie, it isnt brillant as some of the other posters point out, but i suspect that many of these posters rated the movie on its premise alone, because they are pro-guns.
  32. GaryF.
    Nov 19, 2003
    Stupid movie with a moronic storyline. Couldn't wait for it to end? When it did the audience just laughed. I don't think it was meant to be a comedy? One of the dumbest scripts ever made.
  33. LaneR.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Just lame. Great actors making a buck and nothing more.
  34. CarolAnnC.
    Nov 28, 2003
    We all know the jury system no longer works (i.e. OJ and his buddy Durst). Is Scott Petersen the next one to escape justice? But this movie portrayed the majority as complete idiots without any brains whatsoever who could be manipulated by a con artist. Yes, many of us hate serving on jury's but this so called surprise ending was telegraphed twenty minutes into the film. It was just We all know the jury system no longer works (i.e. OJ and his buddy Durst). Is Scott Petersen the next one to escape justice? But this movie portrayed the majority as complete idiots without any brains whatsoever who could be manipulated by a con artist. Yes, many of us hate serving on jury's but this so called surprise ending was telegraphed twenty minutes into the film. It was just terrible. Expand
  35. Triniman
    Oct 18, 2003
    Runaway Jury 3/5 This is your typical Hollywood court room drama, and is based on a John Grisham novell. The implausible plot is bolstered by far-fetched scenes such as the one where Rachel Weizs' character scraps and beats a man more than twice her size. I began to think that we were about to discover that her character was a former Special Ops agent. The lawyers for the firearms Runaway Jury 3/5 This is your typical Hollywood court room drama, and is based on a John Grisham novell. The implausible plot is bolstered by far-fetched scenes such as the one where Rachel Weizs' character scraps and beats a man more than twice her size. I began to think that we were about to discover that her character was a former Special Ops agent. The lawyers for the firearms industry utilize a gee-whiz command centre where they scrutinize potential jurors, digging up hidden secrets that could be used to blackmail them. This reminds me of the "dirty tricks" teams that the Republicans and Democrats use against each other in election years. John Cussack is cool and deceptive, Rachel Weisz doesn't leave much of an impression while Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman merely go through the motions in their first pairing together in a film. The veteran actors turn in less than exceptional performances, but they might not be to blame, given the insipid script. Near the end of the film, we discover why Cussack's character used identity theft to deliberately get him on the jury. He and Weisz's character are not mere crooks but have a moral agenda. This isn't a bad film but it isn't brilliant, either. Expand
  36. Joe
    Oct 19, 2003
    This movie's fun as long as you don't expect To Kill A Mockingbird or anything like that. I mean, it's a friggin John Grisham movie.
  37. BarryR.
    Oct 19, 2003
    "Runaway Jury" starring John Cusack and based on the best selling book by John Gresham is an interesting courtroom drama with a high degree of implausability but entertaining, nevertheless. The film has a nice pace and is edited and directed quite well. Cusack turns in a really good acting performance and Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman, the old reliable pros, do equally as well. Not a "Runaway Jury" starring John Cusack and based on the best selling book by John Gresham is an interesting courtroom drama with a high degree of implausability but entertaining, nevertheless. The film has a nice pace and is edited and directed quite well. Cusack turns in a really good acting performance and Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman, the old reliable pros, do equally as well. Not a great film nor one that will "runaway" with with trophies when award time rolls around but an interesting and positive cinema experience. The film gets a 75. Expand
  38. WendyA.
    Dec 27, 2003
    Not only is this movie only based on John Grisham's novel by title only, but is ridiculous. I might not be alive today had it not been for a firearm in my home. I refuse to allow Hollywood to influence my decision to self-preservation. How many of you would be able to convince a drug-crazed man trying to kill your mother to step aside and give peace a chance? What a waste of a movie, Not only is this movie only based on John Grisham's novel by title only, but is ridiculous. I might not be alive today had it not been for a firearm in my home. I refuse to allow Hollywood to influence my decision to self-preservation. How many of you would be able to convince a drug-crazed man trying to kill your mother to step aside and give peace a chance? What a waste of a movie, and great additions to my Actors I Refuse to Give Money To list. Expand
  39. DudleyR.
    Dec 6, 2003
    Might be the dumbest screenplay ever written.
  40. TylerC.
    Feb 14, 2004
    This was just such a horrible movie. I heard so many good things about it but it is so unrealistic!!!!!! By the way, i believe in the right to bear arms.
  41. AkhilK.
    Feb 23, 2004
    I thought this movie was very good. The adaption from book to the screen is NEVER easy. And it is because of this reason, i liked the film. You can see the effort pulled in. Although i was confused intially about the plot and who was who, when you concentrate and give it some thought, you will surely be able to figure it out. Nice film, effort shown.
  42. FredH.
    Mar 13, 2004
    A fun legal thriller, nothing more nothing less. You can poke holes in it if you're the type but its definitely entertaining and has some great acting. Don't let the gun control subject matter scare you off, no matter which side you take. If you wanna see a movie about gun violence, see Bowling for Columbine and you'll never think the same way about guns again.
  43. TyS.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Loved the book and adored the movie. I hope more of his recent books make it to film as well... Grisham is a master writer!
  44. Xuphor
    Dec 12, 2006
    I watched this movie in my Government class. In my opinion, it was worse than many of the educational movies that are played. Save yourself the pain, and do NOT watch this for pure joy, instead, be forced to watch it in school, it's at least be better than just sitting in a desk.
  45. HoraceA.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Chris just read your review. I am not pro guns nor do I think many others are either? But the storyline was simply juvenile with the ending predictable a mile away. Why would great actors make such a silly movie? Just bad all around.
  46. JerryG
    Nov 18, 2003
    Outstanding cinematography and acting takes a medium story to great level. hated it to end.
  47. AlokN.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Good movie! Wish the ending was more dramatic!
  48. Feb 23, 2013
    Like most John Grisham stories, Runaway Jury takes place mainly in the courtroom. Unlike his other stories thou, this movie follows the behind the scenes of a trial, what goes into selecting a jury, and what happens when someone throws a wrench into your plans. What once was unimaginable, can quickly become possible when millions of dollars are on the line. The cast, well just seeing thoseLike most John Grisham stories, Runaway Jury takes place mainly in the courtroom. Unlike his other stories thou, this movie follows the behind the scenes of a trial, what goes into selecting a jury, and what happens when someone throws a wrench into your plans. What once was unimaginable, can quickly become possible when millions of dollars are on the line. The cast, well just seeing those names up there should tell you, that they were all top notch. All the main characters had two different sides to them, inside and outside the courtroom and it was great to see who they are on the surface as well as who they really are on the inside. Like all Grisham films it comes down to a verdict, which was the result of information we didn't previously know. Runaway Jury follows the genre John Grisham has created to the letter. If you liked his other films, you'll like this one even more, because of its outstanding cast. Expand
  49. May 26, 2014
    Runaway Jury is an ok movie. For about 3/4 of it, it is entirely lackluster and making you wonder if it will improve at all. Luckily, it does, as the twist at the end of the film saves this one from being one that you could miss and turns it into one that is certainly worth a look. From the point of the twist being introduced, the film is incredibly engrossing and suspensful. Prior, it isRunaway Jury is an ok movie. For about 3/4 of it, it is entirely lackluster and making you wonder if it will improve at all. Luckily, it does, as the twist at the end of the film saves this one from being one that you could miss and turns it into one that is certainly worth a look. From the point of the twist being introduced, the film is incredibly engrossing and suspensful. Prior, it is implausible (after the twist is still implausible as well) and, honestly, rather silly. On top of this, I am not a huge fan of John Cusack in general and this one is no exception as his performance is sub-par, however, he is not the one to turn in the worst performance, rather that title goes to Dustin Hoffman. For Hoffman, this one feels entirely mailed in and his Louisiana accent is poor at best and feels very unnatural. Or, at least, I think he was trying for an accent. The only performance worth mentioning in terms of being good is Rachel Weisz' turn. She was really good in this and really was head and shoulders better than everyone else. Overall, this one is nothing more than ok. I guess I am just not a huge fan of Grisham. Expand
  50. Mar 20, 2014
    Runaway Jury isn't original; it apes "12 Angry Men" in every possible way. The movie isn't particularly well acted either. In addition, it can be tedious ta times. What does the movie have going for it? A great script and witty dialogue that save the movie from being a complete and utter disaster of a film.
  51. Nov 12, 2013
    I wanted to Runaway from this jury.
    A very dry lackluster script that had unlimited potential for excitement. Really every character is unassuming and unlikeable and the actors seem to become lost within their stick like roles as random lines are tossed at them.

1. Like a juicy steak served to a man suffering on a diet of micro-greens and tofu, Runaway Jury will be devoured by fans of movie melodramas.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    With the standard Grisham formula having grown stale after so many books and film versions, Jury introduces ingredients that add zest to the old recipe and, in cinematic terms, open up increased possibilities for intrigue and narrative layering.
    Though star-packed to the point of absurdity--juror Luis Guzmán has little to do but nod his head every once in a while--The Runaway Jury doesn't know what to do with its players.