8.0

1. MitchM.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Seemed to me like a cross between "Enemy of the State" (tech battles) and "The Firm"/"Pelican Brief", etc. Plotty as hell, but there's something about Rachel Weisz that brings a degree of humanity and poignance to the proceedings.
  2. Triniman
    Oct 18, 2003
    Runaway Jury 3/5 This is your typical Hollywood court room drama, and is based on a John Grisham novell. The implausible plot is bolstered by far-fetched scenes such as the one where Rachel Weizs' character scraps and beats a man more than twice her size. I began to think that we were about to discover that her character was a former Special Ops agent. The lawyers for the firearms Runaway Jury 3/5 This is your typical Hollywood court room drama, and is based on a John Grisham novell. The implausible plot is bolstered by far-fetched scenes such as the one where Rachel Weizs' character scraps and beats a man more than twice her size. I began to think that we were about to discover that her character was a former Special Ops agent. The lawyers for the firearms industry utilize a gee-whiz command centre where they scrutinize potential jurors, digging up hidden secrets that could be used to blackmail them. This reminds me of the "dirty tricks" teams that the Republicans and Democrats use against each other in election years. John Cussack is cool and deceptive, Rachel Weisz doesn't leave much of an impression while Gene Hackman and Dustin Hoffman merely go through the motions in their first pairing together in a film. The veteran actors turn in less than exceptional performances, but they might not be to blame, given the insipid script. Near the end of the film, we discover why Cussack's character used identity theft to deliberately get him on the jury. He and Weisz's character are not mere crooks but have a moral agenda. This isn't a bad film but it isn't brilliant, either. Expand
  3. AlokN.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Good movie! Wish the ending was more dramatic!
  4. May 26, 2014
    Runaway Jury is an ok movie. For about 3/4 of it, it is entirely lackluster and making you wonder if it will improve at all. Luckily, it does, as the twist at the end of the film saves this one from being one that you could miss and turns it into one that is certainly worth a look. From the point of the twist being introduced, the film is incredibly engrossing and suspensful. Prior, it isRunaway Jury is an ok movie. For about 3/4 of it, it is entirely lackluster and making you wonder if it will improve at all. Luckily, it does, as the twist at the end of the film saves this one from being one that you could miss and turns it into one that is certainly worth a look. From the point of the twist being introduced, the film is incredibly engrossing and suspensful. Prior, it is implausible (after the twist is still implausible as well) and, honestly, rather silly. On top of this, I am not a huge fan of John Cusack in general and this one is no exception as his performance is sub-par, however, he is not the one to turn in the worst performance, rather that title goes to Dustin Hoffman. For Hoffman, this one feels entirely mailed in and his Louisiana accent is poor at best and feels very unnatural. Or, at least, I think he was trying for an accent. The only performance worth mentioning in terms of being good is Rachel Weisz' turn. She was really good in this and really was head and shoulders better than everyone else. Overall, this one is nothing more than ok. I guess I am just not a huge fan of Grisham. Expand
  5. BarbaraD.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Entertaining, but difficult to follow at first. Moved fast, hard to pay close attention. Re the other opinions on this board - I am for the strictest gun control possible, no one should have a gun, I'm also against the death penalty, but these topics make for interesting movies, regardless of ones personal feelings.
  6. Xuphor
    Dec 12, 2006
    I watched this movie in my Government class. In my opinion, it was worse than many of the educational movies that are played. Save yourself the pain, and do NOT watch this for pure joy, instead, be forced to watch it in school, it's at least be better than just sitting in a desk.
  7. Nov 12, 2013
    I wanted to Runaway from this jury.
    A very dry lackluster script that had unlimited potential for excitement. Really every character is unassuming and unlikeable and the actors seem to become lost within their stick like roles as random lines are tossed at them.

1. Like a juicy steak served to a man suffering on a diet of micro-greens and tofu, Runaway Jury will be devoured by fans of movie melodramas.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    With the standard Grisham formula having grown stale after so many books and film versions, Jury introduces ingredients that add zest to the old recipe and, in cinematic terms, open up increased possibilities for intrigue and narrative layering.
    Though star-packed to the point of absurdity--juror Luis Guzmán has little to do but nod his head every once in a while--The Runaway Jury doesn't know what to do with its players.