8.5

1. Sep 20, 2013
    What an amazing movie about to legends of the track Niki Lauda is a machine unbelievable driver and technician and James Hunt just pure raw talent Chris Hemsworth & Daniel Brühl do them both justice such a enjoyable movie well filmed really intense action just one of them all round completely brilliant films a must see.
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    I'm not a Formula 1 fan, but this movie was really appealing to me. The development of characters and plot are so well constructed that it is impossible no to enjoy this movie as a master piece.
  3. Sep 30, 2013
    Was not expecting much going into the theater, but was pleasantly surprised. Ron Howard captures the rivalry really well and always keeps the story in a believable tone. The 70's washed out color scheme sets a great mood with these sets. I just wish this movie would make more money at the box office. It is a quality film much better than so many others released this year. Maybe it will getWas not expecting much going into the theater, but was pleasantly surprised. Ron Howard captures the rivalry really well and always keeps the story in a believable tone. The 70's washed out color scheme sets a great mood with these sets. I just wish this movie would make more money at the box office. It is a quality film much better than so many others released this year. Maybe it will get a few awards later bringing it more attention. Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2013
    "Rush" is an awe-inspiring story filled with nail-biting, fast-paced racing scenes and it's right up there with some of Ron Howard's best films. While you might go into "Rush" thinking it's going to be Hemsworth's show, it's Daniel Brühl's unforgettable performance as his rival that has the most impact
  5. Sep 21, 2013
    Never been so mesmerized with sports drama movie. I can say this is the best I've ever seen. Im on the edge of my seat hoping that this rivalry romance story between the two rivals never end. Chris Hemsworth & Daniel Brühl played the character so perfect and well balanced, they complement each other. Oscar worthy!
  6. Sep 20, 2013
    I may be forgetting something, but, to me, Rush is the best film about sports I've ever seen. The race sequences are beautifully, brilliantly enthralling. But the greatness of the film lies in its characterization of the psyches of its rival protagonists, Hunt and Lauda. The whole cast does an excellent job, but Bruhl as Lauda is absolutely superb. And the script gives Bruhl plenty to workI may be forgetting something, but, to me, Rush is the best film about sports I've ever seen. The race sequences are beautifully, brilliantly enthralling. But the greatness of the film lies in its characterization of the psyches of its rival protagonists, Hunt and Lauda. The whole cast does an excellent job, but Bruhl as Lauda is absolutely superb. And the script gives Bruhl plenty to work with in making Lauda as complex as he does. An Oscar performance if there ever was one. One of the most convincing acting jobs I've ever seen in my life in a big-budget Hollywood film. One of the great Hollywood studio films of all time. Howard certainly deserves an Oscar. Expand
  7. Oct 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Probably the best movie I've seen this year (not saying too much this year). And I'm not even a huge F1 fan. I went into this expecting it to be a run of the mill racing film and wasn't expecting much from Hemsworth. Man was I wrong. Hemsworth delivers his best performance so far, the drama is genuine, the action is truly thrilling. It's a bit of a puff piece at times but not in a way that makes me roll my eyes. The part where Lauda returns to the track after his injury and finishes in fourth gave me genuine chills for the entire scene. I can't say how much I respect that about people. When they have a genuine passion for something and will do whatever it takes to continue doing what they love...for all the things I hate about people, this is something I truly respect. Expand
  8. Sep 22, 2013
    This movie is everything it should be. It's superbly shot, edited, acted and it tells a good story. It's definitely a hollywood-type movie... that's a bit fluffy... but it's a lot of fun. I felt something for both the characters, was on the edge of my sit at moments during the race scenes... and was moved by the ending. The theater was full at last night's show... more than half theThis movie is everything it should be. It's superbly shot, edited, acted and it tells a good story. It's definitely a hollywood-type movie... that's a bit fluffy... but it's a lot of fun. I felt something for both the characters, was on the edge of my sit at moments during the race scenes... and was moved by the ending. The theater was full at last night's show... more than half the audience clapped at the end... as did I. Expand
  9. Oct 10, 2013
    What a great movie, shows how Formula One was (is), it's good from beginning to end. Not sure if this is a date movie, but if you like racing, it's great. Ron Howard is the best.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    "Rush" is one of the best films of the year. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of depth and emotional story telling this film possess. From its brilliant script that infuses humor, drama, and a story about a fascinating rivalry to its impeccable and detailed oriented direction, this film succeeds on every level.

Ron Howard’s direction is extremely noteworthy as I felt like a part

Ron Howard’s direction is extremely noteworthy as I felt like a part of the journey and involved with the characters as I cheered them on. In the beginning, I was rooting for James, but as the movie progresses and things unravel, I was cheering for Niki. However, as the movie moves forward, I couldn’t choose one over the other. This is the type of engagement that I love in movies, it keeps the audience involved and contently thinking about every situation and the characters as a whole.

This film is well edited and shot as well. I couldn’t find a useless or uninteresting moment in this film. Everything flowed very well and the film moved at a brisk pace. It felt as every shot or sequence is catered to moving and developing the characters and their story forward. The racing sequences are well shot and make you feel a part of the race. My heart rushed when characters successfully made narrow life endangering turns. It is a really good film to look at as the scenery and environment crafted feels inviting and absorbing.

The cast in this film is superb. Chris Hemsworth gives his finest performance to date as a carefree playboy. Even though his character James Hunt doesn’t appear serious, he struggles with his inner demons trying to be taken a bit more seriously. Daniel Bruhl also gives and equally impressive, if not better, performance as Niki Lauda an arrogant self-absorbent racer. It’s interesting to see his character go from caring only about himself and racing to something more important. The greatest aspect of the characters are their interactions. I really enjoy how they can’t stand each other, but can’t be successful without each other either. While they hate one another, they find a mutual respect for the other. It’s quite endearing to see how they have each others back off the tracks.

Overall, “Rush” is an amazing movie and totally worth your time. It’s a movie that has everything, from drama to humor to love. The greatest aspect of the film is its truly brilliant and masterful score by Hans Zimmer. His score gives the right amount of emotional punch along with improving everything we see and giving the film a greater amount of importance. I give this film an extremely high 4.5/5, a well oiled film that has no wasted parts.
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    Not really a big fan of f1 but i really enjoyed this movie! The characters opposed each other perfectly and really suck you into the plot which is well written and very enjoyable. Really made me see f1 in a whole different light, i would definitely recommend this to anyone!
  12. Oct 5, 2013
    Simply, one of the best movies ever made!!! I have already watched it 2 times!!!! Pure entertainment, pure rush!!! Watch it!! Go see it!!! It's absolutely wonderful!!!
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    This is an amazing film. I can't recommend it highly enough for F1 fans like me, sports fans, or anyone interested in a story of rivalry i.e. something different to the unoriginal junk movies which get churned out each year.

All the crew involved should pat themselves on the back. They've done a fabulous job making this film critique, explore and honour two memorable F1 drivers.

James Hunt's fun, party lifestyle along with his brash and raw driving talent. This is contrasted against Niki Lauda's methodical thinking, technical brilliance and professional lifestyle. These two characters are total opposites but as their lives are explored it also acknowledges the value of an enemy, i.e. something to beat. I believe this is a commentary on human nature in that the best of us shines when we have something to beat or overcome.

Do yourself a favour and see it now
  14. Sep 23, 2013
    An entertaining account of the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Rush starts slowly and in a somewhat formulaic manner but after about 40 minutes things kick into high gear and the movie soars. It helps that Peter Morgan's script has bite and rises above the average ambitions of this type of movie. Ron Howard is to be commended for his direction of another film which, whilstAn entertaining account of the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Rush starts slowly and in a somewhat formulaic manner but after about 40 minutes things kick into high gear and the movie soars. It helps that Peter Morgan's script has bite and rises above the average ambitions of this type of movie. Ron Howard is to be commended for his direction of another film which, whilst obviously having popular appeal,in no way aims for the lowest common denominator. He captures the high energy world of the race track perfectly and the quality here, as in most of his previous films, is apparent in every frame. Chris Hemsworth charismatically portrays Hunt, but it is really Daniel Bruhl who steals the show. His Lauda is definitely the more interesting character and his presence dominates, but doesn't over balance, the film. Technical achievements are aces. Point of view cinematography puts you excitingly on the track and first rate editing keeps you there. The sound is also great. Lovers of fast moving, good old fashioned styled movies with no axe to grind should rush to see it. Expand
  15. Sep 25, 2013
    "Perfection" is not a great word to describe this movie This movie is "the" movie of 2013 I'm a Formula 1 maniac and of all motoristic sports, I'm a minor driver as well so I can understand more stuff, feeling it (no offense, just passion), so I can say that this movie is so great Niki Lauda was acted by Daniel Brühl so perfectly, his acting was above of all oscars on this earth and"Perfection" is not a great word to describe this movie This movie is "the" movie of 2013 I'm a Formula 1 maniac and of all motoristic sports, I'm a minor driver as well so I can understand more stuff, feeling it (no offense, just passion), so I can say that this movie is so great Niki Lauda was acted by Daniel Brühl so perfectly, his acting was above of all oscars on this earth and Chris Hemsworth too, playing James "The Shunt" Hunt...The plot is so real, I mean, is so close to 75-76's era and when I was watching it, it was like I was just watching the TV, watching the Gran Prix live in that moment Wow What a feeling I don't want to say so much for the people that haven't seen this movie yet, but I guarantee you, this is purely EPIC Ron Howard is one more time a crazy genious This movie made history this year Great I'm still electrified Expand
  16. Sep 23, 2013
    This movie has a lot going on for it it's stylishly shot, has great energy and direction and a good SOLID story to go with it! The performances are great, at times I was sitting on the edge of my seat, other times
    having a good chuckle and then other moments or actually feeling sad and sympathetic for the characters. Someone else said the audience clapped at the end of the movie, they did at my screening too.
    It's pure entertainment, would have been a great summer blockbuster.
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    I never knew (or cared) a thing about Formula 1 racing, but this movie brought to life the visceral appeal of this sport and its practitioners so perfectly that I left the theater feeling like I had driven all of those races and fought all the real-life battles that these two men endured myself. The screenplay, cinematography and editing brilliantly juxtaposed and fused all theI never knew (or cared) a thing about Formula 1 racing, but this movie brought to life the visceral appeal of this sport and its practitioners so perfectly that I left the theater feeling like I had driven all of those races and fought all the real-life battles that these two men endured myself. The screenplay, cinematography and editing brilliantly juxtaposed and fused all the contradictions that make this life-threatening sport a compulsion for men like Hunt and Lauda. The two stars were perfectly cast and their portrayals (particularly that of Daniel Bruhl) perfectly humanized the characters. Expand
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    planed out very nicely shows years of the formula one race drivers james hunt and niki louder cut down also the great tragedy which also looks amazingly done incredible performance from chris who has come so far this is a film about legends this film is legends this is one of the best films i have seen all year
  19. Oct 3, 2013
    Ron Howard invested his own money and made this film without studio support because he believed there was a great story here and he was right. Howard is known for great directing and this shows in this film. I have seen some comments about how they used old race footage, but they should know the recreated most of what you see on the screen. It is amazing the attention to detail Howard andRon Howard invested his own money and made this film without studio support because he believed there was a great story here and he was right. Howard is known for great directing and this shows in this film. I have seen some comments about how they used old race footage, but they should know the recreated most of what you see on the screen. It is amazing the attention to detail Howard and his crew did when making this film.

I wish I could say I know the historical details to tell you how much is Hollywood fluff and how much is real, but I will say so far this seems very accurate. It is a based on a true story and do mean more then just 5% of it is based on a true story like some movies.

The acting was good overall. Not only was the casting good, but the attention to detail with clothing, sets, cars, etc, is top notch. They did a great job creating that 1970s vibe.

I appreciate that they did not not drag out the racing scenes. This is movie is about the people, not the cars. The racing scenes are very well done, but movie really does focus on the characters. Many automotive based movies become super cheesy, but Howard did a good job keeping it under control. There are few times is bordered on crossing the line.

Yes, if you hate hearing the "F" word or seeing people use the middle finger, this film may offend you. Unlike movies who seem to use harsh language for no reason, this feels like how they really would have spoken. You will see short moments bare butts and breasts, but none of it us vulgar.

If you are looking for a good drama with some action, this is a great movie. If you enjoy racing and do not know this story, you must see this movie. If you want to see the movie industry make a wider range of movies, then see this movie because no studio would have made this. If Ron Howard shows there is a market for more than popcorn and horror movies, then we may see more quality films of this level come out.
  20. Sep 23, 2013
    Immensely entertaining. I quite like F1 but I've never been massively into it so I was a bit dubious about how much I would enjoy this film but it turned out to be one of the best films I've seen this year. I'm a big fan of Chris Hemsworth so I expected a great performance off him and was not disappointed. I hadn't really seen much of Daniel Bruhl before this so wasn't sure what to expectImmensely entertaining. I quite like F1 but I've never been massively into it so I was a bit dubious about how much I would enjoy this film but it turned out to be one of the best films I've seen this year. I'm a big fan of Chris Hemsworth so I expected a great performance off him and was not disappointed. I hadn't really seen much of Daniel Bruhl before this so wasn't sure what to expect but was thrilled with what I saw. Both of them put in a fantastic effort and the chemistry between them is really entertaining.
    Based on the brilliant writing, direction and acting I would highly reccomend this film whether you're an F1 fan or not. Definitely worth watching.
  21. Sep 29, 2013
    I came in feeling like this would be just another Ron Howard movie in the 7 or 8 range. I came out with a smile on my face and realized that this was not a usual Ron Howard film. The strong F1 battle between great s Niki Lauda and James Hunt could not have been documented any better. The cinematography was top-notch, and the acting was okay. The action and races in the movie were soI came in feeling like this would be just another Ron Howard movie in the 7 or 8 range. I came out with a smile on my face and realized that this was not a usual Ron Howard film. The strong F1 battle between great s Niki Lauda and James Hunt could not have been documented any better. The cinematography was top-notch, and the acting was okay. The action and races in the movie were so intense, I thought that if every sports fan in America saw this movie, Formula 1 racing would make a major comeback, and possibly put an end to NASCAR. This movie is amazing and possibly an oscar winner in the future. Expand
  22. Oct 25, 2013
    I went into this movie with great expectations, I am an F1 and racing fan, am familiar with the great true story the movie was based on, and I think old Opie has made some pretty good movies over the years. Don't get me wrong at all, the movie was good, but I cannot quite call it great, and interestingly enough, I sort of expected the warm, compelling figure to be Hunt, but Lauda isI went into this movie with great expectations, I am an F1 and racing fan, am familiar with the great true story the movie was based on, and I think old Opie has made some pretty good movies over the years. Don't get me wrong at all, the movie was good, but I cannot quite call it great, and interestingly enough, I sort of expected the warm, compelling figure to be Hunt, but Lauda is really the more sympathetic and interesting character to me, even before the stuff happens in the movie that might make you want to root for him. Still a great rivalry, great story, I am actually changing my rating from an 8 to a 9 as I write this and think about the movie, definitely worth a watch whether you are an F1 fan or not. One of the great things about the movie is that if the story wasn't true it would seem too "Hollywood" but it is true, and a great story. Expand
  23. Sep 21, 2013
    You don't have to be a fan of formula 1 racing, if you like great acting with a great script and tremendous back-and-forth rivalry, then you'll love this movie. Overall, it's an interesting rivalry. Be sure to check out my YouTube channel, "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies.
  24. Oct 3, 2013
    terrific movie, laughs, tears, tension, best use of 'ahole' ever...entertaining as a movie should be...go see this on the big screen, intelligent and exhilirating...
  25. Sep 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The 1976 Formula 1 season saw many exciting twists and turns, but the stand out of the season is
    the rivalry between Nicki Lauda and James Hunt. Rush is probably one of the best films I’ve seen this year, maybe even in my life. Rush is definitely one of my favorite films. I love the direction, the sound, the cinematography, acting and most importantly the story. It was incredible.

The acting in this film is captivating. Daniel Brühl is incredible, he hits the perfect mark at playing Nicki Lauda. Brühl commands the screen whenever he is on it, his screen presence is incredible. To be honest I think that the performance delivered by Brühl in Rush is going to get him a nomination for an Academy Award for sure. Hemsworth delivers probably the best performance of his career, Hemsworth delivers a mesmerising performance as the ladies’ man and talented driver James Hunt, and Hemsworth’s charismatic performance gives the film that extra kick which pushes it into top gear.

Another feature of the film which I love is the cinematography, I love the up close in action shots of the races. I love the use of the position of the camera in the actual position it was in when the crash happened. I loved the beautiful shots from inside the engine, the phantom camera footage of the inside of the engine working, I also loved the use of the footage of fuel being lit inside the engine.

Ron Howard is one of my favorite directors, I love the way he can bring those fun little jokes and looks from the characters. I love the attention to detail and the way he makes even people like me who dislike Formula 1, sit on the edge of their seat during the races.

I loved absolutely everything about the film Rush and here is to hoping that it picks up as many awards as possible and gets the recognition a film of this calibre deserves.
  26. Sep 28, 2013
    I've just raced home after witnessing one of the best examples of filmmaking I've experienced in a long time. It is a character study in the manner of Chariots of Fire, with excellent acting, story, pacing, setting, dimension, and moments of pure visual poetry. If you ever thought that director Ron Howard was asexual, you were flat-assed wrong. This movies is sexy as hell. If I knew HowardI've just raced home after witnessing one of the best examples of filmmaking I've experienced in a long time. It is a character study in the manner of Chariots of Fire, with excellent acting, story, pacing, setting, dimension, and moments of pure visual poetry. If you ever thought that director Ron Howard was asexual, you were flat-assed wrong. This movies is sexy as hell. If I knew Howard better, I would give him a smack on the lips for his remarkable achievement--Rush. Expand
  27. Oct 12, 2013
    Ron Howard has done a simply stunning job on this story of F1 legends, the cinematography and direction is something to behold, the actors, Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl do an amazing job of portraying James Hunt and Niki Lauda respectfully. The supporting cast is just as believable and well played. Even though I knew the story going in I was shocked at how real and true Ron Howard keptRon Howard has done a simply stunning job on this story of F1 legends, the cinematography and direction is something to behold, the actors, Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl do an amazing job of portraying James Hunt and Niki Lauda respectfully. The supporting cast is just as believable and well played. Even though I knew the story going in I was shocked at how real and true Ron Howard kept it, some scenes will stay with me for a long while yet and I cant wait to see them again. This is my favorite film of the year and its going to take allot to knock it off its pedestal. Expand
  28. Nov 16, 2013
    The film is talking about the legendary rivalry with Niki Lauda English driver James Hunt. In 1976, during the German Grand Prix Ferrari Lauda too suddenly came around a corner and crashed. The driver was trapped in a burning car in the accident was seriously injured and in a coma. In this race eventually won by Hunt. Six weeks later, Lauda returned to racing and one of the most excitingThe film is talking about the legendary rivalry with Niki Lauda English driver James Hunt. In 1976, during the German Grand Prix Ferrari Lauda too suddenly came around a corner and crashed. The driver was trapped in a burning car in the accident was seriously injured and in a coma. In this race eventually won by Hunt. Six weeks later, Lauda returned to racing and one of the most exciting rivalries in the history of Formula 1 I recommend 100% Expand
  29. Sep 25, 2013
    It's a good, solid action flick, but not nearly as good as Senna from a few years back. Supporting characters are merely ok. Daniel Bruhl as Nikki Lauda is an interesting and compelling figure that I wanted to know more about. His on-screen wife Alexandra Maria Lara is striking and outstanding, as usual. The visuals are extremely slick if you have any interest in the sport, definitelyIt's a good, solid action flick, but not nearly as good as Senna from a few years back. Supporting characters are merely ok. Daniel Bruhl as Nikki Lauda is an interesting and compelling figure that I wanted to know more about. His on-screen wife Alexandra Maria Lara is striking and outstanding, as usual. The visuals are extremely slick if you have any interest in the sport, definitely check it out. Just keep your expectation in check it's not a transcendent story. Expand
  30. Jan 3, 2014
    Director Ron Howard continues to surprise with something that looks and feels entirely European. Gorgeously shot by Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire), this has been aptly described as a character study but on a grand scale. The acting is impeccable and the story and race sequences although shorter than what I wanted will keep anyone on the edge of their seat. One criticism is thatDirector Ron Howard continues to surprise with something that looks and feels entirely European. Gorgeously shot by Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire), this has been aptly described as a character study but on a grand scale. The acting is impeccable and the story and race sequences although shorter than what I wanted will keep anyone on the edge of their seat. One criticism is that even though the film clocks in at 2:03, it feels rushed and hurried at times, which might be appropriate considering. However, this does not take away from the overall effect of being an incredible entry into a sport that America still has not seem to discover: Formula One racing. Expand
  31. Jan 5, 2014
    Ron Howard's best film in years, Rush is also one of the best film of 2013. Great drama, exciting action scenes...it really portrays the risk and toll of this sport on its 'heroes', the cool playboy Hunt and the calculating genius Lauda. Highly recommended.
  32. Dec 28, 2013
    Ron Howard does an excellent job at showing the rivalry between the two men and their personal lives. Rush has brilliant cinematography that brings the races to life and keeps you on the edge. Its pure entertainment.
  33. Sep 27, 2013
    “Rush” is the true story of Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl), Formula One race car World Champ, an Austrian born, disciplined, mind on the prize, controlled and controlling of his life and career versus James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) a womanizing, smoking, drinking, charismatic, dope taker who loved the spotlight, claimed to have bedded over 5,000+ women and wanted to take that World title from“Rush” is the true story of Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl), Formula One race car World Champ, an Austrian born, disciplined, mind on the prize, controlled and controlling of his life and career versus James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) a womanizing, smoking, drinking, charismatic, dope taker who loved the spotlight, claimed to have bedded over 5,000+ women and wanted to take that World title from Lauda. The first hour of the film concentrates on their rivalry, most of all their differences, leading up to to 1976 when the last race would determine who was the champ.

As an example of the difference between the two men we meet Suzy Miller (Olivia Wilde) who Hunt proposes marriage after knowing for her for a minute and two years later she leaves him and marries Richard Burton while Lauda meets Marlene (Alexandra Maria Lara) and his marriage proposal to her seems more of well thought out decision to become part of his all work and no play. Marlene’s steadfast belief in Lauda changes the latter’s life and leads to the horrific and hero building second half of the movie.

Director Ron Howard, with the help of director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle and the editors Dan Hanley and Mike Hill, takes you into the center of the cars, and the races, to the point you almost feel you know what the drivers feel behind the wheel whether it be driving in bright sunshine or beating rain hitting your helmet. As Marlene is shown being given and plugging in ear plugs it might not hurt for you to bring a pair to the theatre. In addition to the deafening sound of the racing cars there is additional, unnecessary, noise added by the music of Hans Zimmer on the soundtrack.

Peter Morgan, who wrote the screenplay, shows you the difference between Hunt and Lauda and will have you rooting for one and then the other but he fails in not giving a payoff to that rivalry for the audience to cheer and though there are other characters on screen he doesn’t really give them any depth but they bring more to the screen than written. Alexandra Maria Lara gives off more looks than words but her looks are meaningful while Olivia Wilde is a portrait of a 1970s jet setter. Members of the race teams add realism to the film and Pierfrancesco Favino, as real race car driver Clay Regazzoni, who competed with Hunt and Lauda, provides humor and heft when each is needed. Chris Hemsworth shines as James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl as Nick Lauda matches him as an opposite who seems to carry the world on his shoulders. The two actors carry the movie on their shoulders and do an excellent job.

Don’t forget to bring earplugs and some of you get ready to take your eyes from the screen during the crash and hospital scenes! Keep in mind it is a movie!
  34. Mar 8, 2014
    Before watching the film, I thought this was going to just be a silly car racing movie, with no real point whatsoever. After watching, I realized I was completely dead wrong. This movie is exciting, well-directed, well-acted and it is fantastic. Director Ron Howard does the tension incredibly well in this movie. Definitely a recommendation.
  35. Jan 12, 2014
    its quite please to watch and definitely oscar material.One of few movies that managed high standards and fan friendlyness.full with emotions and thrill and no over ating at any point at all.
  36. Nov 25, 2013
    I enjoyed this. I didn't know anything about either of these drivers and not that much of Forumula 1. The story and acting were good. I later read about a few story inconsistencies that I felt didn't need to be modified, but still an enjoyable movie and held pretty true to the facts overall. Some of the racing sequences could have been filmed better. Good solid popcorn movie though.
  37. Sep 21, 2013
    Firstly, all the race scenes including spectators were just ripped-off from the original race clips!!! Secondly, did Lauda used the "F" word often. Hemsworth and Burl did their job well. Overall the movie was nothing original!!!
  38. Jan 18, 2014
    The only racing I get interested in usually involves the words “kart” and “Mario” but I was shocked by how much I enjoyed “Rush.” The story about Hunt’s and Lauda’s rivalry during the 1976 Formula 1 racing season is interesting enough but the performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl are just impossibly good. Add that with fantastic visual and heart-pounding race sequences andThe only racing I get interested in usually involves the words “kart” and “Mario” but I was shocked by how much I enjoyed “Rush.” The story about Hunt’s and Lauda’s rivalry during the 1976 Formula 1 racing season is interesting enough but the performances from Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Brühl are just impossibly good. Add that with fantastic visual and heart-pounding race sequences and the film ended up being far better than I thought it could have been. Expand
  39. Sep 23, 2013
    Wow.now this shows how formula 1 has become a n ultimate competition.truly inspiring.awesome movie.Chris hems worth has shown his career best performance
  40. Oct 30, 2013
    It took a while for me to decide if I actually enjoyed Rush or not and eventually I concluded that any film that left me with such a mixed impression should be critiqued as such. While Daniel Brühl gives an outstanding performance, the direction is inconsistent and a lot of the beginning is very bland and cliche. Overall, the film had some very strong highliights, but there were someIt took a while for me to decide if I actually enjoyed Rush or not and eventually I concluded that any film that left me with such a mixed impression should be critiqued as such. While Daniel Brühl gives an outstanding performance, the direction is inconsistent and a lot of the beginning is very bland and cliche. Overall, the film had some very strong highliights, but there were some weaker moments that felt out of place. The main problem, oddly enough, can be solved with one small storytelling choice: Don't hide Lauda as the main character. Let him emerge as the star, and the rest would've fallen into place. Expand
  41. Nov 6, 2013
    Rush fue una sorpresa que me atrapó con los pantalones abajo en la sala de cine, porque, obviamente no me esperaba tal cosa ¡Qué equivocado estaba! Rush, del veterano director Ron Howard, aparte de captar una narración espléndida, tiene atrás suya dos de las mejores interpretaciones del año, Chris Hemsworth como Hunt, y Daniel Brül como Lauda. Una película que recomendaría más que nada aRush fue una sorpresa que me atrapó con los pantalones abajo en la sala de cine, porque, obviamente no me esperaba tal cosa ¡Qué equivocado estaba! Rush, del veterano director Ron Howard, aparte de captar una narración espléndida, tiene atrás suya dos de las mejores interpretaciones del año, Chris Hemsworth como Hunt, y Daniel Brül como Lauda. Una película que recomendaría más que nada a las personas que disfruten del automovilismo en general, pues las escenas de carreras son magistrales en todos los sentidos. Muy seguro de mi mismo, digo que estamos ante una de las mejores películas del año 2013. Expand
  42. Jan 15, 2014
    Just watched this and was blown away by an amazing story of rivalry and respect between James Hunt and Nicki Lauder in the year of 1976 with a great soundtrack to power things along. Hemsworth and Bruhl give amazing performances and yet again Ron Howard has produced another hit film for all to enjoy.
  43. Mar 14, 2014
    Being an avid Formula 1 fan, I could not wait to see this - and it was worth the wait, Beautiful cinematography, multi dimensional characters that you care about and the trueness to the real story line make this a must see, F1 enthusiast or not.
  44. BKM
    Oct 14, 2013
    Ron Howard's glossy, commercial approach doesn't serve the subject matter well in Rush. At its core the film is a character study about the rivalry and contrasting personalities of two drivers who fueled each others desire to dominate their sport. The two men are fascinating and deeply flawed individuals consumed by the adrenaline rush provided by their chosen professions, but HowardRon Howard's glossy, commercial approach doesn't serve the subject matter well in Rush. At its core the film is a character study about the rivalry and contrasting personalities of two drivers who fueled each others desire to dominate their sport. The two men are fascinating and deeply flawed individuals consumed by the adrenaline rush provided by their chosen professions, but Howard shoehorns everything into a conventional sports flick with a tidy ending. It could have been so much more. Expand
  45. Sep 30, 2013
    Ron Howard has a tradition for tackling stories without much attention for nuance. His films are unabashedly focused on making the audience create a sense of empathy with his core hero, without contemplating any darker side the character(s) may have. "Rush", written by Peter Morgan, suffers from this problem the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda could easily be the one that TomRon Howard has a tradition for tackling stories without much attention for nuance. His films are unabashedly focused on making the audience create a sense of empathy with his core hero, without contemplating any darker side the character(s) may have. "Rush", written by Peter Morgan, suffers from this problem the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda could easily be the one that Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer personified onscreen in Tony Scott's "Top Gun" in 1986, with the difference that this time around, the so called hero, actually is presented as an egotistical man, without much depth or sense of empathy (or dignity for that matter). The film fails in creating these characters as something palpable or even relatable they are nothing more than archetypes, namely the playboy vs. the conservative man, whereas the women in their lives, are given nothing more to do, other than stay in the background, look preoccupied, and have brief scenes of walking into frame (and quickly exiting). The film is successful in presenting the dynamic of the sport and the sense of excitement that always prevailed in it the fantastic cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle gives the film a look and treatment that are superb. Daniel Bruhl also manages to create an engaging performance, though it soon becomes a performance that runs always on a single view of the character. Though shot and impeccably recreated for the time it depicts, the film ultimately feels hollow and devoid of the emotion and excitement that always propelled these men and the fans to the circuits. Not recommended. Expand
  46. Oct 4, 2013
    In 1976, two Formula One drivers became prominent rivals. Charismatic English playboy James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and dull, disciplined Austrian Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl). This is basically a surface biopic about one year in their lives with lots of unoriginal or thrilling racing footage. Director Ron Howard went with arty camerawork and edgy editing, but it only serves to disguise theIn 1976, two Formula One drivers became prominent rivals. Charismatic English playboy James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and dull, disciplined Austrian Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl). This is basically a surface biopic about one year in their lives with lots of unoriginal or thrilling racing footage. Director Ron Howard went with arty camerawork and edgy editing, but it only serves to disguise the flat filmmaking. The performers are fine and their story does gain momentum in the last third, but that's a lot of mileage (literally) before it becomes involving. Expand
  47. Oct 9, 2013
    I really wanted to like this film but ultimately found it a bit disappointing. The characterisations were simplistic, the race action scenes were boring close focus quick cut blurs certainly not 'one of the greatest movies about motor racing'. Watchable, but a documentary is more interesting than this superficial biopic.
  48. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Never was a big F1 fan, but this film based on a true story, which was the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda has really gotten me interested in the sport! The first 45 minutes were slow, but after that, the film was pure nerve racking, octane fun!

Truly a great film. I would recommend it if you're an F1 fan!
  49. Mar 3, 2014
    Very interesting! Very well directed! Emotional, I highly recommend watching this movie! It was over 2 hours! But I wasn't bored with it! It kept me on the edge of my seat till the very end!
  50. Feb 17, 2014
    In a voiceover during Rush, we hear the voice of Formula 1 race car champion James Hunt (played by Chris Hemsworth): “I have a theory why women like racing drivers. It's not because they respect what we do, driving round and round in circles. Mostly they think that's pathetic, and they're probably right. It's our closeness to death.” That quote is not only a telling description of theIn a voiceover during Rush, we hear the voice of Formula 1 race car champion James Hunt (played by Chris Hemsworth): “I have a theory why women like racing drivers. It's not because they respect what we do, driving round and round in circles. Mostly they think that's pathetic, and they're probably right. It's our closeness to death.” That quote is not only a telling description of the personality of the character of James Hunt, as depicted in the film, but it also describes the absurd philosophy behind the “rush” of race car driving, and probably any other sport that involves mortal danger. It is the thrill that attracts a certain kind of personality to this dangerous sport, and sadly it may also be the thrill that attracts thousands of spectators.

The morbid appeal of a struggle to the death goes back to ancient sacrificial rites and the gladiatorial games of ancient Rome. There is something fascinating about seeing an athlete who stands before the crowds knowing that he must look death in the face and that he may very well lose the battle. It is the misguided sense of valor, courage, and destiny normally reserved for soldiers and knights, who at least are willing to sacrifice themselves for a noble cause—they are ready to die for country, king, faith, and family. Military courage is the stuff of heroes and protectors, but race car driving? Not really.

The 20% mortality rate mentioned in the film may have improved since the 1970's. Apparently safety measures have been stepped up so that race circuits are much safer than they were 10-20 years ago; the Formula 1 design has also been improved for safety, although the open cockpit of the car still presents a danger to the driver, while proposals to cover the cockpit are controversial. Thirty-two Formula 1 drivers have died during a World Championship Grand Prix, the last one being Brazilian driver Ayrton Senna who died in 1994 at the San Marino Grand Prix. The count goes up to 50 if you include drivers who were killed during lesser events (the last death in 2002), and that figure does not include marshals and other bystanders who have been killed on the track.

The film tries to delve beneath the obvious reasons that race car drivers are attracted to the sport, which would be an obsession with automobile mechanics and design as well as an obsession with speed. The story revolves around two historic Formula 1 titans—British driver James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Austrian driver Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl). Hunt is a dashing hedonist who is addicted to cars, women, cigarettes, and alcohol; Lauda is by contrast a stoic, who is quiet, dedicated, and believes that true success lies in the strictest form of discipline. If Hunt is a playboy, Lauda is a monk (although Lauda says he was not as strict as depicted in the film.) They are both attracted to the sport but come armed with completely opposing philosophies. For Hunt, the racetrack is a forum for attention, celebrity and the sensual experience of life; it is his temple for living in the moment and seizing the day. For Lauda, the racetrack is a different kind of temple, one that demands an almost religious reverence and meditation, and where he connects to the deepest part of his soul. The two men are both rivals and friends, and the film doesn't mention that in real life they were once roommates.

Ron Howard's film sets out not just to dramatize a significant race year in the lives of both drivers, but to show how the two differing philosophies affected them both on and off the track. Lauda suffered devastating burn injuries to his face and lungs in a Grand Prix accident of 1976, which caused him to be disfigured for life. He went into a coma and almost died after that race, but then he mustered up the intense will and discipline for which he was known, and he climbed back into his Formula 1 Ferrari just six weeks after the accident, which was nothing short of a miracle. James Hunt achieved his dream of becoming a Grand Prix champion that same year, and a few years later left the sport to become a commentator. Hunt, a heavy drinker and smoker, died of a heart attack at the age of 45.

In another voiceover, this time by the character of Niki Lauda, who in real life won three Grand Prix championships and is now 64 and retired, we hear these words as he speaks of the race that changed him forever: “The other thing I'm remembered for is what happened on August 1, 1976, when I was chasing him [Hunt] like an a**hole.” And that line, perhaps better than anything else, aptly describes the philosophical absurdism of car racing.
  51. Jan 22, 2014
    It's not the racing that will keep you on your seat, It's the great acting by Bruhl and Hemsworth that make this film all worth while. Bruhl was perfect and Hemsworth proved that is not only a very good actor but also capable of breaking from his type-cast roles as well. Ron Howard once again proves why he is one of Hollywood's top directors as well. Very well done film and I wouldIt's not the racing that will keep you on your seat, It's the great acting by Bruhl and Hemsworth that make this film all worth while. Bruhl was perfect and Hemsworth proved that is not only a very good actor but also capable of breaking from his type-cast roles as well. Ron Howard once again proves why he is one of Hollywood's top directors as well. Very well done film and I would definitely recommend it. Expand
  52. Sep 26, 2013
    I don't understand why this movie has gotten high reviews. No Oscar winners here. Sure some of the action scenes were ok but nothing to write home about. Don't waste your money on this one. Wait till it comes out on TV. Half decent story line but like I said, nothing to write home about in any way shape or form. Sorry for the buzz kill for the people who are going to flock to the moviesI don't understand why this movie has gotten high reviews. No Oscar winners here. Sure some of the action scenes were ok but nothing to write home about. Don't waste your money on this one. Wait till it comes out on TV. Half decent story line but like I said, nothing to write home about in any way shape or form. Sorry for the buzz kill for the people who are going to flock to the movies this weekend to see it. Definitely at the most, this movie doesn't deserve anything above a 6/10....AT BEST. Expand
  53. Sep 2, 2014
    Another brilliant contender of the year! It's incredible how Ron Howard can take a subject not necessarily fascinating to all and make it all the more interesting. All of this backed by two great lead performances.
  54. Jan 5, 2014
    Rush is exciting with some fascinating characters that you actually care about. It is a solid movie that is just a tad long. Ron Howard directs with ease and lets the story tell itself.
  55. Sep 30, 2013
    The thing that kind of sucks is that you are not rooting for either person because both are and selfish... like even in the end... the racing scenes were NOT that great and the scenes throughout were honestly pretty forgettable... maybe its just one of those "intelligent" movies you have to deeply analyze or something, but to me, the best movies are the ones where you leave the theaterThe thing that kind of sucks is that you are not rooting for either person because both are and selfish... like even in the end... the racing scenes were NOT that great and the scenes throughout were honestly pretty forgettable... maybe its just one of those "intelligent" movies you have to deeply analyze or something, but to me, the best movies are the ones where you leave the theater thinking about it, wanting more of it, 50 years down the road they will be making references to it because it is just a classic. Where are those movies anymore? Expand
  56. Nov 4, 2013
    Howard has managed to capture the time period the action segments, and engage the audience.in the action of the racing depicted. The characters are drawn realistically with Hemsworth playing the great-looking vacuous playboy perfectly and Bruhl the "beautiful mind" counterpart. The problem with the film, and with most of Howard's films, is that there's no emotional connection betweenHoward has managed to capture the time period the action segments, and engage the audience.in the action of the racing depicted. The characters are drawn realistically with Hemsworth playing the great-looking vacuous playboy perfectly and Bruhl the "beautiful mind" counterpart. The problem with the film, and with most of Howard's films, is that there's no emotional connection between the players and the audience. You don't really like either Hunt or Lauda so the race matters but not the winner. Howard seems afraid to get involved in his characters and stays objectively focused producing an almost documentary emotional approach that makes the racing the rush but the individuals, themselves, the losers. Expand
  57. Jun 21, 2014
    This one was pretty good as a whole. Daniel Bruhl absolutely killed his role here and really stood out for me in this one. The race sequences are expertly put together to make them very intense and thrilling, plus the sound mixing for the cars and the racing was great. In addition, I felt like the 1976 season was covered very well, even as a non-Formula 1 fan. I may be ignorant to thingsThis one was pretty good as a whole. Daniel Bruhl absolutely killed his role here and really stood out for me in this one. The race sequences are expertly put together to make them very intense and thrilling, plus the sound mixing for the cars and the racing was great. In addition, I felt like the 1976 season was covered very well, even as a non-Formula 1 fan. I may be ignorant to things they may have missed, but what they showed was very satisfying and felt like it covered a good bit of information. However, I cannot say the same for the stuff before they get into 1976. The foundations of the rivalry and both drivers' personal lives before 1976 were shown, but poorly put together at best as things seemed to be "rush"ed through and it ultimately left me feeling very unsatisfied. For the first bit of the film, things seemed to happen with no background to them and it almost felt like the film was just skipping from one unrelated scene to another. Luckily, this problem goes away once they get into 1976, but before that, it is a bit messy. For that, it hampered my overall enjoyment a bit, but as a whole, the film is pretty good and very good entertainment. Expand
  58. Oct 3, 2013
    Mettendo mano a ‘Rush’, l’ex Richie Cunningham si preso due rischi mica da ridere. Il primo il film di ambientazione sportiva, sempre sul limite di suonare falso in special modo quando, come qui, vengono rievocati fatti realmente accaduti; il secondo sta nell’avere come primo nome in cartellone Chris Hemsworth cercando di farlo sembrare un vero attore. Se con l’Australiano la missioneMettendo mano a ‘Rush’, l’ex Richie Cunningham si preso due rischi mica da ridere. Il primo il film di ambientazione sportiva, sempre sul limite di suonare falso in special modo quando, come qui, vengono rievocati fatti realmente accaduti; il secondo sta nell’avere come primo nome in cartellone Chris Hemsworth cercando di farlo sembrare un vero attore. Se con l’Australiano la missione può dirsi compiuta solo nei limiti (non vastissimi) del possibile, il risultato complessivo della pellicola va oltre ogni aspettativa: la scrittura di Peter Morgan (già assieme al regista per ‘Frost/Nixon’) funziona e lo spettatore ne viene coinvolto dall’inizio alla fine. Il motore della storia ovviamente, il contrasto tra i caratteri dei personaggi principali, con l’irruento James Hunt, pilota vecchio stile tutto genio e sregolatezza (alcool e, soprattutto, donne) a confronto con un perfezionista come Nicky Lauda, sempre dentro alle righe e freddo fino a essere scostante: a parte la passione per le corse, l’unico punto d’incontro il contrasto con le rispettive famiglie d’origine, per il resto sono scintille dal primo sguardo e solo il tempo farà crescere il rispetto reciproco. Se di Hemsworth si già scritto interpreta il pilota inglese risultando più bello dell’originale, ma mostrando qualche legnosità di troppo lo spagnolo Brühl disegna un Lauda di sorprendente mimetismo e notevole intensità, specie nei difficili momenti dell’affrettato rientro dopo l’incidente. I due si portano via quasi tutto lo spazio disponibile, con le altre figure che restano essenzialmente di contorno, comprese la Suzy Miller (signora Hunt) di Olivia Wilde e la Marlene Lauda di Alexandra Maria Lara: solo la oramai comprovata bravura consente a Favino di far risaltare il suo Clay Regazzoni. Fin qui niente da meravigliarsi, verrebbe da dire, visto che abbiamo un regista di valore (pure se reduce da un paio di passi falsi) e un ottimo sceneggiatore che ottengono il massimo da un classico hollywoodiano come le alchimie fra due persone per molti versi agli antipodi e ci aggiungono una riuscita a parte le targhe delle macchine italiane rievocazione degli anni Settanta visti con una punta di nostalgia: a far la differenza, allora, l’efficacissima messa in scena delle gare che raggiunge il suo apice nella ricostruzione del folle Gran Premio del Giappone, conclusione della stagione di Formula 1 del 1976 sotto il diluvio che allagava il circuito del Fuji. Mischiando abilmente filmati d’epoca e nuovo girato, tanto che la cesura quasi non si sente, Howard e il suo montatore Daniel P. Hanley riescono a far sentire l’adrenalina e la tensione di quelle lontane gare anche a chi (come il sottoscritto) ha abbastanza anni da potersele ricordare. Fra coloro che vissero da vicino quell’avventura, qualche pasdaran ha storto il naso, perchè non vero che non si sopportavano, i difetti sono stati esasperati, i fatti sono andati così e non cosà: magari sarà anche vero almeno fin dove il tempo passato non distorce il ricordo ma sono considerazioni che non scalfiscono minimamente il valore di un film che, grazie a un ritmo che non presenta la minima caduta di tono, fa volare le sue ore di durata regalando una sovrabbondante dose di emozioni. Splendidamente accompagnato dalle azzeccate musiche di Hans Zimmer, ‘Rush’ ha tutte le carte per conquistare anche a chi non ha il minimo interesse per la F1 e il mondo delle corse in macchina in generale, oltre che per lanciarsi a tutta velocità verso la Notte degli Oscar. Expand
  59. Oct 6, 2013
    With a crackling script from Peter Morgan, a stylishly invigorating directorial turn from Ron Howard, and two superb performances from Hemsworth and Bruhl, "Rush" easily proves its worth as probably the most notable nonfiction sports chronicle this side of "The Fighter."
  60. Jan 7, 2014
    Rush definitely lives up to its name. The way it pumped blood through my head gave me a rush. But quite a few movies manage to do that, and it was solely not for this that I liked the movie. I loved its art direction. It got me believing that I really was looking through a window into the 70s and witness this rivalry replayed.

There are quite a few movies out there vying for our

There are quite a few movies out there vying for our attention. They have thrilling car races or chases, and the intention is only that_ to amaze us with the mind-boggling stunts. But Rush endeavoured to be much more than a film about racing cars. It wanted to make us experience how these drivers live, why they choose this profession, how they feel during the time they are behind the wheel, and how much victory means to them. In that task Rush has succeeded beyond my expectations. It set out to do something I had not even expected of it. So it sets itself apart and should be taken more seriously.

Rush is narrated by Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) at key moments of his career. His rivalry with James is spun out of context by the frenzied media. Surely they don't see eye to eye but when such levels of adrenaline are pumping through your veins and you risk everything to gain victory, even the slightest setback makes you envy and loathe your opponent to the extreme.

Both the main characters start off as rookies. Their first encounter and tussle may be fictionalised. Both of them are stupendously talented. But they must make their mark in order to gain attention from the big names in the game. Drivers finish the race but the ones making them the heroes in the public eye are the ones with the cars. And they would have to vie for names such as Ferrari and McLaren to even begin to have some kind of a chance to be among those who finish first.

I found the acting sufficient for the believability of the characters. James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) came across as the universal bad boy with a heart of gold. He certainly has the charisma to pull it off. Lauda was much more complex. He is clearly the type who aim high in life and are willing to do everything to achieve their goals. So Brühl had his work cut out for him but he surprised and rose to the occasion. There are their other sides which are gradually revealed and make them more human and thus more worthy of admiration. It was nice to see Olivia Wilde given a role in a movie that was not a box office bomb or a disaster with the critics.

We are shown glimpses of races around the world intertwined with scenes from the private lives of these two men. The racing scenes were short and well captured. The character development was well done and certainly painted distinct personalities. They joke and verbally spar in their own ways, calling each other names to incite angry responses. No one's the bad guy. They shuffle as the more sympathetic character throughout the movie. I'm glad they didn't resort to add more conflict and contrived fictional gimmicks to offset each other to add drama, which would have ruined it for me. I was constantly waiting for this to happen, for it to slip up and reveal mediocrity, even expecting it, for it is a film about cars, but I was pleased to be proven wrong.

You can have a thrilling movie about car racing or you could have a movie about the lives of drivers with sparse action, but Rush combined both perfectly. Everything was in the right proportions. It had the story, the entertainment value, the mood-changing quality and the effects. The races were brilliantly done. The accidents when they happened were rightly worrying and realistic and not exaggerated. The cars themselves were pure beauties. And I found myself agreeing with the line of dialogue that men love cars more than they love women.

I dare say that Rush has succeeded in supplanting all car racing movies I had previously watched and become my favourite from the genre. But the reason I loved it is it made me think about the importance of human life and why it must not be risked for thrill seeking and for the entertainment of others who do not have the guts to perform such kinds of feats.
  61. Jul 18, 2014
    Brilliant movie, Brilliantly directed and brilliantly acted. Ron Howard once again proves he is one of the worlds best Directors. I can not say enough good things about this movie
  62. Jan 13, 2014
    Ron Howard, the master of biographical picture maker. As I know of him, he never failed to transform biographical stories into a movie. In fact, many of his movies are my favourites. This time he picked up a true story of two rivalry formula 1 drivers from the 70s. This biographical sports drama was nothing short in all the aspects compared to his earlier movies. So his legacy continuesRon Howard, the master of biographical picture maker. As I know of him, he never failed to transform biographical stories into a movie. In fact, many of his movies are my favourites. This time he picked up a true story of two rivalry formula 1 drivers from the 70s. This biographical sports drama was nothing short in all the aspects compared to his earlier movies. So his legacy continues with a series of masterpieces in his filmography. I am always fond of his works because the mix of sentiments in his movies is powerfully appealing just like I wanted. The emotion tool was very wisely utilized in this movie as well.

The races from the movie were shot awesomely with the old automobile models and sets around. It was a perfect direction utilizing this inspiring true story with two great actors. It won't only tells about races but also the inexplicable friendship between them, which is hard to predict as we are not they. As per my observation I did not detect any flaws, especially races were exceptionally shot, totally to-notch. From the fast pace story narration due to the fine editing to background score and visual effects, we must recognize the A1 quality of the production house.

This movie portrays about the 1976 Formula 1 season where two new comer drivers from Europe, James Hunt and Niki Lauda are considered the top rivalries to grab the world championship title. So their's stunning entry from lower class race to the big event, the clash between them were exhibited very well. Two equally great drivers with different mantras in their life as well implement in the race track was just mind blowing. The story was told from the perspective of both of them where narration frequently switches.

Initially I was not favour to give it a shot. The reason behind it was the Chris Hemsworth, I am not a big fan of his performance. Most of his movies are commercially feel good kind ones so I was a bit hesitated to put my faith in this. And a couple of Ron Howard's last movies as well not like I expected but was just good. This movie completely reformed these two guys and redefined their's capability once again. Regretting for not saw it earlier, but feels good that I did not miss it after all. A highly recommended movie, which was one of the best sports movie from 2013 along with '42'.

9.5/10
  63. Nov 11, 2013
    Loud, proud, and relentless in its portrayal of sport rivals, Ron Howard’s Rush is another entry into his formulaic and conventional directing resume. Like any well oiled machine, Howard is an expert of giving audiences a fundamentally linear narrative with striking and beautiful aesthetic choices, even if the narrative follows the rivalry between two Formula One drivers whose careers andLoud, proud, and relentless in its portrayal of sport rivals, Ron Howard’s Rush is another entry into his formulaic and conventional directing resume. Like any well oiled machine, Howard is an expert of giving audiences a fundamentally linear narrative with striking and beautiful aesthetic choices, even if the narrative follows the rivalry between two Formula One drivers whose careers and competition is anything but straight-cut.

Rush isn’t the best film of the year by far, and in terms of narrative the film suffers from clichéd plot-points, predictable sport film tropes and by-the-book autobiographical rules, but one of the highlights of Rush is the effortlessness of telling the story of two incredible men’s lives, without making one or the other the lead protagonist or antagonist. Rush is the true story of two passionate and talented drivers whose race to becoming the Formula One World Champion is something quite unbelievable.

The film begins in the middle of its narrative, at the beginning of the 1976 German Grand Prix in Nürburgring, mere moments before Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl) experiences what is suspected to be a rear suspension failure that hospitalized him for a month and a half. We then flashback to 1970 at a Formula Three race in the Crystal Palace circuit in England where the rivalry between Lauda and James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) begins. Destined to be rivals since their initial meeting, the film follows the trails and tribulations of Lauda and Hunt’s fight to the Formula One circuit. Lauda, a mechanical genius who uses his skills on cars to earn his spot beside Clay Regazzoni (Pierfrancesco Favino) and the Scuderia Ferrari racing team, shows skill as a engineer but suffers socially, proving to be somewhat inept when it comes to interacting with people. While Hunt, an unapologetic, globetrotting playboy, seems to have no problems interacting with his fans (maybe a little too often). Where Hunt lacks for meticulous calculations and mechanical understanding, things Lauda posses, Hunt makes up for in raw talent, ambition and “balls”.

The film chronicles not only an intense rivalry set in the dangerous world of Formula One Racing, but the film also depicts a rivalry of wits between two men, who suffer and sacrifice so much for respect in a world inhabited by high-adrelanline, death-defying racers.

Rush is definitely a return to form for Howard, who, after the problematic and chaotic The Dilemma, had a lot to prove aesthetically and narratively. Aesthetically, Howard had his wheels spinning uncontrollably with inspiration. From the film’s 1970′s grainy look, to its very artistic slow-motion racing scenes (which acts as a nice irony to the sport), to the choice of camera angles when covering the pivotal scenes of the race, usually shooting at a very low angle, Howard does use the film to solidify his place as a stylistic filmmaker again, as he did previously with Cinderella Man, Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind.

Howard surrounded himself with the best this time around, and made no mistakes. With a modest $38 Million budget for a Hollywood film, Howard was able to create an high-octane Formula One film, grounded as a character piece. Written by Peter Morgan (The Queen), shot by Anthony Dod Mantle (Slumdog Millionaire), Scored by Hans Zimmer (The Dark Knight trilogy), and produced by film-extraordinaire and longtime collaborator Brian Grazer, Rush is assembled just like any other team in the Formula One meticulously and strategically.

It also did not hurt that Howard was able to get Hemsworth out of Nordic armour and deliver his finest performance to date. The real star of the film is Brühl. Underrated and overlooked since his career-defining role in Tarantino’s Inglorious Bastards, Brühl inhabits his rat-like character and shows the intolerable side of a man obsessed with perfection, discontent with happiness, and who shows no emotional response to the fast pace world which exists around him. Brühl’s transformation into Lauda is one that will hopefully be acknowledged come award season.

Rush is a good film. More of a solid entry into the autobiographical sport genre, much like 42 earlier this year, the film lacks an intensity most great sport films have, which is the intensity of the sport itself. Some of the greatest sport movies ever made use the sport to elevate character progression, intense emotion or moments that audiences cheer for. There was never a rousing moment of triumph, pleasure or extreme emotion with our characters that took place on the racetrack. Unfortunately for the film, some of the best scenes happen on the streets of Italy, in the hospital, or in restaurants and furnace rooms where the characters grow and evolve; the racetrack is just a forum for winning.
  64. Dec 28, 2013
    This is what a respectful rivalry looks like. Ron Howard does a fabulous job of depicting this two totally different men on and off the track. The on track scenes are very well done looking very realistic no sugar coating the dangers. A
  65. Jan 19, 2014
    I wasn't expecting the intensity and gripping action that I received during this movie. Not a fan of Formula 1 at all, but this movie delivers even to the people who don't care about it. After a rough start, the movie turns into a non stop thrill ride that makes up for everything that may have gone wrong
  66. Dec 28, 2013
    A refreshing entry in the, troubled, Sports movie genre is ‘Rush’. It’s a true story about the rivalry between formula 1 racers; James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Hunt, well played by Chris Hemsworth, is the English playboy with a true talent for racing; and Lauda played by Daniel Bruhl is the arrogant, yet disciplined Austrian racer, with a knack for tactics. Bruhl does fantastic work in aA refreshing entry in the, troubled, Sports movie genre is ‘Rush’. It’s a true story about the rivalry between formula 1 racers; James Hunt and Niki Lauda. Hunt, well played by Chris Hemsworth, is the English playboy with a true talent for racing; and Lauda played by Daniel Bruhl is the arrogant, yet disciplined Austrian racer, with a knack for tactics. Bruhl does fantastic work in a co-lead performance, by perfectly capturing the physicality of the real life Lauda along with adding a weight of emotion to his character. Peter Morgan deserves some credit for penning these dynamic characters; and guiding the script through a few of its familiar rhythms was Ron Howard. Mr. Howard may not be an auteur but he knows how to make a good movie; and ‘Rush’ was a damn good one. He manages to elevate the film above the trappings that are typical of movies within this genre; and made it a relatively unpredictable ride, with a pair of fleshed-out characters. Speaking of ride, Anthony Dod Mantle’s cinematography and the terrific sound mix placed us right in the heat of those intense car races, with fine detail. I was also particularly impressed with Daniel P. Hanley and Mike Hill’s well paced editing of the film, Hans Zimmer’s bassy score; and the squeamish makeup design and glamorous hairstyles that defined the period. ‘Rush’ was a well oiled machine, that entertains as well as it manages to move the audience. Expand
  67. Feb 3, 2014
    几乎是一部完美的电影,可以说是挑不出任何的缺点,从影片的基调,剧情故事,演员表演,剪辑,配乐等等无一例外都是好莱坞的最强水准,特别是Hans Zimmer激赞的配乐百听不厌,几场比赛更是爽快至极,两位主演带来了他们最好的演技。
  68. Dec 9, 2014
    Amazing movie, not only for motorsport enthusiast. All falls really well together, great script, great direction, great VFX, great actors, great score = great movie.

Daniel Bruhl is super convincing as Niki Lauda, as well as Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt,
    Must see for every motorsport fan, but not limited to only them
  69. May 25, 2014
    It's amazing how Ron Howard went from directing The Dilemma to directing this. Having watched The Dilemma I was thinking maybe he had lost it but man was I wrong Rush is an amazing movie and a thrill ride. A true story about two top notch rivals James Hunt(Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda(Brühl) in Formula 1 racing. An amaing movie with fantastic story telling and amazing effects. James Hunt is aIt's amazing how Ron Howard went from directing The Dilemma to directing this. Having watched The Dilemma I was thinking maybe he had lost it but man was I wrong Rush is an amazing movie and a thrill ride. A true story about two top notch rivals James Hunt(Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda(Brühl) in Formula 1 racing. An amaing movie with fantastic story telling and amazing effects. James Hunt is a guy that lives for the moment and likes to have a great time and Niki Lauda a more calulated person who thinks every step out. Overall I give it a 8.2 Rush was a great time and I will for sure be buying it on blu ray. Oh yeah and Olivia Wilde is the amazing to look at so that is always a plus. Expand
  70. Sep 29, 2013
    The movie fully captures the drama they both lived in their f1 days.
    It also capture their personal lives.
    The movie has halarious one liners between the Lauda and hunt. It also had great visual effects and the sound of the cars are just amazing
  71. Nov 14, 2013
    The best scenario is to try to explore it, what was the rivalry between the two drivers. Hunt and Lauda represent two extreme attitudes towards life: but impossible to reconcile, is generating similar results. I really like a good movie for me. As a kid, I watched them on the screen as competing but I had no idea what it looks like from the inside.
  72. Dec 31, 2013
    Rush is a very stylish and slick sports drama that features very strong performances from Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth along with realistic high-octane race sequences.
  73. Dec 5, 2013
    What a great movie that shows one of the best rivalries ever in sports history .Great choice of actors that are really close to the real Hunt and Lauda, especially Daniel Bruhl. A lot of suspence and rush, one of the best movie this year, and the best sports movie ever.
  74. Dec 15, 2013
    By Aaryan K. Trivedi
    Property of Western Epic Entertainment.
    Basic Storyline: two of the greatest, fastest and most fierce rivals in sporting history, James Hunt and Niki Louda two formula one racers, race it out to win the Formula One championship in 1976. Director: Ron Howard Producer: Andrew Eaton​ ....​producer Eric Fellner​ ....​producer Brian Grazer​ ....​producer Ron
    By Aaryan K. Trivedi
    Property of Western Epic Entertainment.

Director: Ron Howard
    Producer:
    Andrew Eaton​ ....​producer
    Eric Fellner​ ....​producer
    Brian Grazer​ ....​producer
    Ron Howard​ ....​producer
    Peter Morgan​ ....​producer
    Screenplay: Peter Morgan​
    Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Daniel Bruhl, Olivia Wilde, Alexandra Maria Lara,Pierfrancesco Favino, David Calder, Natalie Dormer, Stephen Mangan.
    Stars:4*

HOWARD has created a KICK ASS racing film for the ages.
    Champagne, drugs, girls and speed and no I’m not talking gta 5 I’m talking Ron Howards Rush, the film is set in the 70s and focuses on the danger of formula 1 racing although the thrill has its highs it also has its flaws such as Hemsworth’s (the avengers) British accent; however that being said I deeply believe his towering performance as hunt deserves to be acknowledged for the power and passion in his performance, he took us to a state of victory and depression, he showed us the real Hunt and allowed use to judge whether or not we loved or hated this character, Daniel Bruhl (the fifth estate) had given his best performance in film, he had convinced us that he was Lauda and he helped us understand the complicated man and why he did what he did, Bruhl maybe “rushing” to the academy awards this year for his performance.
    I feel inclined to tell you that the only reason this film worked was because of the spectacular screenplay written by peter Morgan (frost Nixon) who is the genius behind rush, his screenplay had the perfect balance between lauda and hunt, once you watch the movie you will really appreciate dialogue written for the characters, it really gives a dipper understanding on interoperating each characteristic of lauda and hunt, I’m obliged to tell you that I feel he deserves acknowledgment on the films overall success considering now a days if you read a screenplay it tends to loose the aim and main focuses of the movie unlike rush where it focuses on the drama on the track but also in their own personal life’s. I’m afraid you cant help to compare rush to frost/Nixon which also directed by Howard and Written by Morgan, which is also based on a rivalry relationship, I suppose both films are very similar; but it is fair to say they both have different sorts of drama and a totally different emotional feeling.
    We meet Mr hunt in the hospital we can immediately tell how dominating, flirtatious and a tiny bit excessive he is after being beat up by a angry husband, and within moments he is shagging a nurse. Hunts charades is a man who will take risks to get what he wants.
    We meet lauda who is a man who knows what he wants and what he needs, we can tell is technically minded around the car unlike the ride or die playboy hunt, niki is very adamant and is a very blunt man, he does not take risks but will if driven to by his rivals.
    As far as we are concerned this was rons big come back after his four recent film failure’s including the comedy starring Vince Vaughn the dilemma, this film has most definitely reassured us that Howard has still got it, not only directing the actors perfectly but also the technical aspects such as camera movement and the choosing of lenses this is of course with the help of Oscar winner Anthony Dod Mantle (slum dog millionaire) cinematographer, after doing space shuttles it would be easy to assume that cars are no problem. I fell that the some scenes should have been cut and not over done such as the scene where the journalist is beat up.

This film is not a unmissable film but is a beautiful story and is made to entertain this film is for everyone a man or women. This will be a film that may not rush to the top of box office but will be one to remember.
  75. Dec 20, 2013
    welle i can't tell you that the next i'll see a formula one race on tv i won't probably change the chanel what a great a movie it was beyond what i expected and i'm so glad that i wathed it today great story very inspiring the directing was great and i don't need to talk about the acting specialy Daniel bruhl he was breath taking RUSH officially is in my top 10 movies of 2013.
  76. Dec 28, 2013
    Rush is one of Ron Howard's best films, due largely in part to the performances of Hemsworth and Bruhl. That last, rainy race represents one of the year's most exciting action sequences.
  77. Jan 3, 2014
    İzlediğim en iyi biyografi Filmlerinden biriydi bence, Çok iyi bir mücadele geçirmiş iki yarışçının başından geçmiş olayları süper şekilde anlatmış.
    Kesinlikle izleyin..
  78. Dec 31, 2013
    I hate racing, but Rush isn't about racing by itself, it's about an intense rivalry. Even the racing is made interesting because of the sound, score, and cinematography.

Rush gets an 8.3/10
  79. Feb 3, 2014
    Owen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM. The film was not at all what I expected. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of Days of Thunder, but in the Formula one form. Being based on a true story, the storyline seemed over the top. Best scene was when they were driving in the countryside, very amusing. Ron Howard told the story in a different way than I had expected it to be told.
  80. Feb 13, 2014
    I wasn't really expecting to like this movie, as films about auto racing in the past have left me pretty cold, but this movie was extremely well-made, the casting was perfect, and the acting extremely competent. One is tempted to feel that the actors were so well selected that they almost didn't have to act, although that is most certainly not the case, but it does reveal the competence ofI wasn't really expecting to like this movie, as films about auto racing in the past have left me pretty cold, but this movie was extremely well-made, the casting was perfect, and the acting extremely competent. One is tempted to feel that the actors were so well selected that they almost didn't have to act, although that is most certainly not the case, but it does reveal the competence of the film-makers. Expand
  81. Feb 14, 2014
    The story of a movie is cheap and the screenplay is good and not hard to write but its an biography so it doesn't mater,the movie is done perfect it couldn't be done better,its awesome ,awesome directing.Definitley worth watching,Deserved some nominations for awards but that didnt happen.sorry for bad english if there is some
  82. Mar 6, 2014
    this film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinesethis film worth less than 7, but I gave it seven because of the output . I realy realy surprised because I did not expect it will be like this . the weaknesses are I did not like the movies that have one star show in The majority of movie scenes. I feel bored because I watch same face maybe one hour or more . the second thing is this movie shows me there is no distance between The Chinese space station and the International Space Station ! Expand
  83. Mar 12, 2014
    I really liked this film. I am not a film buff or an F1 fan. In fact prior to seeing this film I despised racing. What I loved was the characters and their stories. The peronsification of two different approaches to life using F1 drivers was genius and it resonated stongly with me. I think Howard remains subjective and doesn't allow his personal opinions to influence the film. Like allI really liked this film. I am not a film buff or an F1 fan. In fact prior to seeing this film I despised racing. What I loved was the characters and their stories. The peronsification of two different approaches to life using F1 drivers was genius and it resonated stongly with me. I think Howard remains subjective and doesn't allow his personal opinions to influence the film. Like all great art the message and appeal are completely left to the individual. Im far too naive to comment on cinematography or editing so Ill just say the movie kicked ass and I watched it twice. As a 38 yr old man with a 9 yr old son, the film led me to question my own values and philosphies about being a man. Well done Mr. Howard......Im now a bandwagon F1 fan. Expand
  84. chw
    Aug 16, 2014
    Rush is absolutely the best Ron Howard movie ever made. Unlike his other movies like Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind, there is never a dull moment in Rush.
  85. Apr 18, 2014
    “Rush” is about the real life fierce rivalry between Chris Hemsworth’s character, James Hunt and Daniel Bruhl’s Niki Lauda. Hunt and Bruhl were both formula 1 drivers during the 70′s and the movie tells us what happened during the years they both raced against each other.

Chris Hemsworth may never get the Thor- stamp off him (and that isn’t that bad since those movies make tonnes of money) but he is genuinly great in this film and the best part is that he isn’t Thor. Chris Hemsworth portrayes James Hunt brilliantly. Hunt is a reckless playboy who is willing to risk his life in a car. Not only does Chris look the part, he also acts just like you would imagine Hunt acting. Daniel Bruhl as Niki Lauda is the polar opposite of Chris as Hunt. He is the rich, good boy who goes to bed early and who doesn’t party all night. However Lauda and Hunt are not only nice guys and playboys respectably. They are much more than that: Lauda is kinda douchy and not actually the nice guy you would have in a typical movie. Hunt is also troubled and you can, much thanks to Chris’s performance, see the scared side of the character. I can only say that the characters and the actors are the best part of the movie.

Ron Howard is a very underrated director. He is a two time Academy Award winning director and yet he’s never really mentioned in the top. He is however directing this film incredibly well. The editing is also fantastic, Daniel P. Hanley and Mike Hill are really sharp, working with quick cuts, my favorite technique. There was a certain sequence in the movie where the race wasn’t shown but the result were presented through text on the screen. That directing and editing trick caught me of guard and I admire the wat it was handled.

“Rush” isn’t really about racing. It focuses on the characters more than the cars and that’s how I want my sport movies. Similar to “Warrior” (a review for wich can be found on this very site) I don’t care for the sport in it, I care about the overall story. That being said, the sound of the motors and the way the characters (I seem to constantly come back to the characters) behave towards the sport are great and they kinda made me an ounce interested.

I contend that John Williams is the greatest composer ever but I also believe that the best soundtrack for a movie is the one for “Inception”, “Inceptions” score is composed by Hans Zimmer. He also composed “Rush”. Zimmer crafts a score with might similar to a motor and with the emotion and passion of the driver. It’s a beautiful soundtrack.

A surprisingly good thing about the film is the product placement. It gave a form of credibility to the 70′s racing.

The only real complaint I have about the film is how the relationship between Niki Lauda and James Hunt progresses. While the development is great I didn’t really buy into the way they went from non-respect to respect. I saw how they tried to introduce the growing friednship but it didn’t translate that well ont the screen.

Overall, “Rush” is an intense, thrilling ride (pun intended) with the right focus and no real big flaws. It’s good to see more from Chris Hemsworth and even better that his range as an actor increases. The movie is far from predictable (but if you know about the real life events you obviously know how it’ll end), something that is hard to pull of in a sports movie. Even if you don’t like racing, I think you’ll love “Rush”.
  86. Nov 23, 2014
    Way to go Ron Howard! Rush is likely my favorite movie of 2013. I love the rivalry between the two racers and this is a story that I had no prior knowledge on so I didn't know what to expect in the ending. Both main characters go through some significant development throughout the movie. I would recommend Rush to any sports fan.
  87. Nov 10, 2014

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Sep 30, 2013
    Rush, though it will win no trophies, is fine filmmaking, a smart, visually engorged, frequently thrilling tale of boyish competition — inspired by a true story. At heart it’s “Amadeus” on wheels, only this time Salieri is the Austrian.
  2. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Sep 30, 2013
    The result is a solid film, but one that remains more interesting than intense.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Sep 27, 2013
    Still, it is a writer's privilege to trim and tailor at will, and everybody loves a duel. It would take the dullest of curmudgeons not to enjoy the surge of this saga, accurate or not, and the excesses of what already feels like a distant age. [30 Sept. 2013, p.84]